Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 133356 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 15, 2022, 07:55:30 AM »
I feel like pushing people to change their setup isn't a cool move at all. Unless it's a really stupid setup that hurts their skating. If they want to change and look for advice, sure let the madness-knowledge flow, but never push it.

I wish I never knew...

I just recently tried thunders based on his suggestion.

And me pushing him to 8.25 was based on him talking about wanting a larger setup but being scared to move up after being on 8 for so long.

I didn't bully him him into buying an 8.25 and focus his 8 lol.

Friends discuss and suggest things all the time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #361 on: December 15, 2022, 11:09:14 AM »
The way you described his skill level he should be able to figure out pretty quickly if he likes something moving up or not. It's not on you and I don't get why people think you're gaslighting him or something. Everything has its pros and cons.

I disagree that Forged Indys and Thunders have a similar pop feel. I've run both for long periods on the same decks and that is 100% not the case. Do a single scooped backside 180 and you'll know what I mean. The forged hollow pop feel is lighter feeling for me and since the trucks turn differently they will scoop slightly different as well. I actually think the Thunder pop feel is closer to a Venture cast with hollow/ti axles than an Indy

IpathCats

« Reply #362 on: December 15, 2022, 11:34:04 AM »
The way you described his skill level he should be able to figure out pretty quickly if he likes something moving up or not. It's not on you and I don't get why people think you're gaslighting him or something. Everything has its pros and cons.

I disagree that Forged Indys and Thunders have a similar pop feel. I've run both for long periods on the same decks and that is 100% not the case. Do a single scooped backside 180 and you'll know what I mean. The forged hollow pop feel is lighter feeling for me and since the trucks turn differently they will scoop slightly different as well. I actually think the Thunder pop feel is closer to a Venture cast with hollow/ti axles than an Indy

I agree with all this. Its funny you mention 180s specifically because I had the HARDEST time adjusting to those on thunders after skating indys. much lighter popfeel on indy's for sure

LebowskisRug

« Reply #363 on: December 15, 2022, 12:44:30 PM »
Ya dude with backside 180s especially I have to rotate my shoulders much harder. It's not a bad thing, but at first I was doing some really dope 90s. I notice it a lot on nollie backside 180s. If I wind up as hard as I do on Thunders I will over rotate them for sure. A straight on nollie- not a huge difference. Kickflips I actually prefer on Indys always as the rear bolts definitely suck up to my foot better, but otherwise I find forged Ti and forged hollow too light feeling on the decks I ride.

PrairieSkater

« Reply #364 on: December 16, 2022, 02:51:10 AM »
If you're wanting to size down from 149s would you stop at 144? or go completely down to 139s?
I found my perfect shape. A Quasi 8.125 and I'm deciding which truck is the best for the next 50 bones.
I'm skeptical the 44s may stick out and not make a difference on the weight;
but then again I think 139s might be too small to have that chilled turn and comfy lock on those grinds.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 09:00:29 PM by PrairieSkater »

IpathCats

« Reply #365 on: December 16, 2022, 06:21:57 AM »
If you're wanting to size down from 149s would you stop at 144? or go completely down to 139s?
I found my perfect shape. A Quasi 8.125 and I'm deciding which truck is the best for the next 50 bones.
but then again I think 139s might to small to have that chilled turn and comfy lock on those grinds.

144's for sure's

manysnakes

« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2022, 06:24:22 AM »
but then again I think 139s might to small to have that chilled turn and comfy lock on those grinds.

I skate 44/144s with ~8-8.25" decks and they work perfectly. I looked at the 33/139 a few times but they were narrower than I want, the 144 give me enough width to fully lock in on top of most curbs.

IpathCats

« Reply #367 on: December 16, 2022, 06:34:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate 44/144s with ~8-8.25" decks and they work perfectly. I looked at the 33/139 a few times but they were narrower than I want, the 144 give me enough width to fully lock in on top of most curbs.

Yea 139s are so small. I would only suggest them for under 8" now that we have 144's

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #368 on: December 16, 2022, 06:50:44 AM »
I skate 8.25 trucks on 8.125 boards all the time, it works…..you don’t see any nut and I think it sets up well, they just fit.  That said, magic carpet does help a lot of flip tricks i think.  I like a bit more truck to grind though.  If someone were to give you a board and they only had an 8 or an 8.25, which would you take?  I’d follow suit with the trucks…

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
« Reply #369 on: December 16, 2022, 09:07:12 AM »

I have been skating Titianium 139s on a Polar 8.125 (wb 14.25) for the better part of the past seven years, no problems and can just about see the end of the axles from above.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #370 on: December 16, 2022, 10:01:47 AM »

How wide are your wheels?   

Narrower wheels = 144s.   

Conical Fulls?  Do you prefer to flip (139s) or grind (144s)?

IpathCats

« Reply #371 on: December 16, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How wide are your wheels?   

Narrower wheels = 144s.   

Conical Fulls?  Do you prefer to flip (139s) or grind (144s)?

good point.

personally, i would adjust my wheels to fit the setup before sizing down trucks since the narrower hanger would affect grind/turn

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #372 on: December 16, 2022, 02:12:18 PM »
144s are super flexilbe 8.125-8.38, easy. Can work for 8.5 if you are ok with some majik carpet.

manysnakes

« Reply #373 on: December 18, 2022, 05:18:54 AM »
Has this been discussed here before? I didn't see any publicity for this, but it looks like Indy is doing standard height IKP trucks now, starting with a Louie Lopez signature truck. Listed as 55mm height compared to 52mm with the "Mid" branding, which these lack entirely.

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #374 on: December 18, 2022, 05:43:17 AM »
Has this been discussed here before? I didn't see any publicity for this, but it looks like Indy is doing standard height IKP trucks now, starting with a Louie Lopez signature truck. Listed as 55mm height compared to 52mm with the "Mid" branding, which these lack entirely.
Well I know they have been selling the ikp on standard plates but I think this is the first standard height ikp truck they have made.

manysnakes

« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2022, 05:50:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Well I know they have been selling the ikp on standard plates but I think this is the first standard height ikp truck they have made.

Yeah, that's what I mean - a turnkey, standard height Independent Stage XI was released and they didn't market it at all. Compare that to the Mids from a year or two ago, they pushed them super hard.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2022, 06:03:49 AM »
I got axle slip on my 149 hollows after 6 months so I got forged hollows but today two wheels got stuck already, after only a dew sessions. I thought Indys didn‘t get axle slip? I admit that I primo a lot but still…
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2022, 08:40:12 AM »
I got axle slip on my 149 hollows after 6 months so I got forged hollows but today two wheels got stuck already, after only a dew sessions. I thought Indys didn‘t get axle slip? I admit that I primo a lot but still…

Are you using spacers in your wheels? My wheels got stuck all the time on Indys with Spitfire Classics. Then I got rid of the spacers and didn't had that problem anymore. But I put the inner ring of an old bearing in my wheels, as a narrower "spacer". I hope that made sense.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #378 on: December 18, 2022, 01:05:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you using spacers in your wheels? My wheels got stuck all the time on Indys with Spitfire Classics. Then I got rid of the spacers and didn't had that problem anymore. But I put the inner ring of an old bearing in my wheels, as a narrower "spacer". I hope that made sense.

You might be on to something. Yes I use spacers in Spitfire classics.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #379 on: December 18, 2022, 11:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It was a beautiful summer night at 2 am, the madness was at it's peak and I measured my bearings and spacers. It seemed like the spacers were 2 mm too long to fit properly in my Classics (54mm). I think that's what caused the bearings to get stuck after sketchy landings.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2022, 02:52:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It was a beautiful summer night at 2 am, the madness was at it's peak and I measured my bearings and spacers. It seemed like the spacers were 2 mm too long to fit properly in my Classics (54mm). I think that's what caused the bearings to get stuck after sketchy landings.

Ha yeah the joy of the 2 am madness!

But really though, the bearings can slip with or without spacers in any wheels on any truck, which sucks if they do move, usually when a specific trick or something forces the wheel to move in a certain way.

I had a set of wheels I would have to keep pushing the bearings back in on the back toe wheel after every run on my mini ramp that I did a back smith on - didn't have to take the wheels off or anything, but it got annoying.  Just put the board on the side, wheel up, push down on the wheel and "pop" the bearing goes back in, so the wheel is freely spinning again.  Put your feet on the ground side wheel and pull the upper side wheel up to check if the other bearing is seated correctly too, turn around and check the others as needed.

Spacers can definitely cause bearings to not seat correctly as well, but sometimes if they are a softer metal, tighten them both down on either side, then crank one and then the other and it will crush the spacer to fit within the wheel.  Not really recommended with everything else going on (possibly pulling axle or crushing bearings) but it does work as I have done it a few times just to see what would happen, with no issues to bearings or axle either.  I checked where the axle nut would get to without the spacers in the wheels first, and only tightened them down to that point, which was about two threads more than with the spacers in the wheels at the time.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

« Reply #381 on: December 19, 2022, 06:16:34 AM »
Never use spacers. They do not work for their intended purposes; even when you use Bones wheels, bearings and spacers, they still do not allow the bearing to seat fully inside of the bearing recess.

I'm also not sure why someone decided that there is an optimal space between the bearings which must be maintained at all cost. It doesn't really make any sense and doesn't seem needed on a trick skateboard.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #382 on: December 19, 2022, 12:01:44 PM »
I ride race reds on bones and everything lines up perfectly and I ride everything tight….in theory it makes a difference, but in reality I think I grossly under estimate the power of primo….I haven’t had axel slip but I think it’s just luck. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #383 on: December 19, 2022, 12:13:29 PM »
Never use spacers. They do not work for their intended purposes; even when you use Bones wheels, bearings and spacers, they still do not allow the bearing to seat fully inside of the bearing recess.

I'm also not sure why someone decided that there is an optimal space between the bearings which must be maintained at all cost. It doesn't really make any sense and doesn't seem needed on a trick skateboard.

I gave up on spacers ages ago as they never worked as [you noted] intended. Either there is still space allowing the spacer to wiggle around or the bearings do indeed touch the spacer, but then shift inside the wheel as a whole (being able to push the assembly to one side or the other). It amazes me bones ships bearings/spacers that don't work properly with their wheels.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 12:28:51 PM by Xen »

manysnakes

« Reply #384 on: December 19, 2022, 02:41:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It amazes me bones ships bearings/spacers that don't work properly with their wheels.

And George Powell is considered to be skateboarding's great engineer.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 473
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #385 on: December 19, 2022, 02:56:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
It amazes me bones ships bearings/spacers that don't work properly with their wheels.
[close]

It has to do with the cooling process: the amount of shrink as the urethane cools is extremely difficult to control and calculate for.
As for spacers though, I think they’re great! You get to install them in your wheels, skate around a bit and then take them out immediately. What a fantastic waist of time!

manysnakes

« Reply #386 on: December 19, 2022, 05:13:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
As for spacers though, I think they’re great! You get to install them in your wheels, skate around a bit and then take them out immediately. What a fantastic waist of time!

lol

IpathCats

« Reply #387 on: December 20, 2022, 05:40:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

lol

lol x 2

i really thought they did something too, but it was just another one of society's lies!

IpathCats

« Reply #388 on: December 21, 2022, 06:23:49 AM »
Bumping because the father of mainstream madness, our youtube father, lord, and savior, Ben Degros is riding indys again in his latest video. And being real about sneaker culture in skateboarding. Love this dude.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2022, 07:00:12 AM »
Degros is like Slaps patron saint of gear  madness and I’m about it.