Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 133247 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1048
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1320 on: April 10, 2023, 03:14:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Ok so my Indy Titaniums did this:

Will this be warrantied if the trucks are more than 4 months old or whatever I'm seeing on the NHS website? I'm lucky I noticed before bailing.

Edit: I'm just going to contact the skate shop first
[close]

Lmao a titanium axel bent??

Count your days indy. I don't want any of you shit talking ACE ever again.

This is the typical Indy ti axle issue, maybe just before the thing breaks off entirely, as per all the other people who have had Indy ti axles break.

As to ti axles in general, I have seen almost every brand of truck with ti axles in pieces or bent.  I even have a set of old Indy, old Thunder and seen a set of Ventures not too long ago with slightly bent ti axles, so it does happen, although no where near like this pic.

The most annoying thing is I can never hammer the ti axles straight again, as per other standard / normal axle trucks to give them a new life, more so on a cruiser or kids board, as once the axles have bent at all, they are weaker from then on.

And re warranty, yes talk to the shop first, as they (hopefully) can help you and go from there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #1321 on: April 12, 2023, 12:26:02 PM »
Been saying this for awhile since I'm a metallurgist expert from Google searches ;), Ti axles are technically weaker than a solid normal chromoly axle, as are hollow chromoly axles. It's better to be a kingpin clearance weenie than a weight weenie.

IpathCats

« Reply #1322 on: April 12, 2023, 12:59:45 PM »
Been saying this for awhile since I'm a metallurgist expert from Google searches ;), Ti axles are technically weaker than a solid normal chromoly axle, as are hollow chromoly axles. It's better to be a kingpin clearance weenie than a weight weenie.

PLEASE elaborate or share a link that can substantiate this claim

logjammin

• Rep: 355
« Reply #1323 on: April 12, 2023, 07:55:50 PM »
It would take a thicker Ti axle to be as strong as a regular CroMo. That whole "strength to weight" ratio description can be confusing. Part of the marketing, gotta hype it up. Hollow CroMo axles aren't stronger, either. Just Google something like "titanium weaker than chromoly" and you'll find what you're looking for. Same with YouTube. Ti has been tried in the bmx world as well, most will comment in forums and whatnot, how it wasn't worth the cost or hassle it caused with various parts.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1324 on: April 12, 2023, 09:05:27 PM »
I had always read that hollow chromoly can be stronger since the internal portion of the axle is heat treated as well.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1325 on: April 13, 2023, 12:11:13 AM »
It would take a thicker Ti axle to be as strong as a regular CroMo. That whole "strength to weight" ratio description can be confusing. Part of the marketing, gotta hype it up. Hollow CroMo axles aren't stronger, either. Just Google something like "titanium weaker than chromoly" and you'll find what you're looking for. Same with YouTube. Ti has been tried in the bmx world as well, most will comment in forums and whatnot, how it wasn't worth the cost or hassle it caused with various parts.

It seems like the excessive hardness and thus the lack of give of the titanium is the issue. Like it will take an impact and not budge at all over and over again until one day it does. The CroMo in the meanwhile has a slight give and in the long run it will withstand forces better. If it does get compromised structurally it will just bend instead of fail like my truck.

I liked the 149 Ti because it represented such a good balance between heft and weight and the threads on the axle never got mangled. I might just start getting into the good old 139 Standard again as the compromise. Or a wider truck with a hollow axle if they're not immediately debunked in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 04:44:24 AM by mbam003 »

IpathCats

« Reply #1326 on: April 13, 2023, 05:55:41 AM »

Interesting, thanks man.

I guess i see what you're saying.

Even though the Ti axel would have to be larger to be stronger than cast, it would still be lighter, thus having a better strength to weight ratio. But in reality the axel is always the same size so the Ti is technically weaker.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1327 on: April 13, 2023, 01:07:25 PM »

The most annoying thing is I can never hammer the ti axles straight again, as per other standard / normal axle trucks to give them a new life, more so on a cruiser or kids board, as once the axles have bent at all, they are weaker from then on.

Today I realized I have a bent axle on my Hollows.
It's a bummer because they have a lot of life left.
It's not as bad as these TI's the other guy postet. But enough to kill my wheels. So you say you hammered axles back to straight and it worked out?  Did you skate them on your regular board too or just for cruisers?
I was thinking about that but wasn't so sure..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

vicious cycle

« Reply #1328 on: April 13, 2023, 01:19:37 PM »

Will this be warrantied if the trucks are more than 4 months old or whatever I'm seeing on the NHS website? I'm lucky I noticed before bailing.

I broke two TI axles and both Trucks got warrantied. The second one was more than 4 months old. They gave me a new set for each break. So the chance is good.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1329 on: April 13, 2023, 01:34:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It's not as bad as these TI's the other guy postet. But enough to kill my wheels. So you say you hammered axles back to straight and it worked out?  Did you skate them on your regular board too or just for cruisers?

I've bent axles back by putting the hanger in a vice, wrapping the end of the axle in duct-tape so i don't damage the threads and then fitting a deep socket with a 12" socket extension over the axle and tweaking on it until it's good, or at least 'good enough for government work'
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

vicious cycle

« Reply #1330 on: April 13, 2023, 01:54:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I've bent axles back by putting the hanger in a vice, wrapping the end of the axle in duct-tape so i don't damage the threads and then fitting a deep socket with a 12" socket extension over the axle and tweaking on it until it's good, or at least 'good enough for government work'
That's a plan. Thx!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1048
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1331 on: April 14, 2023, 05:45:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have still skated them with no issues after hammering them back to straight, from being bent, but I know other people will not touch them again for fear of them bending again / even more.  Hammered back standard / solid axles and hollow without issue and they have been good since but ti axles never seem to hammer back once bent, no matter how much I pound them.

Here is something I posted a while ago, which is easy enough to see.  This is just one way, but it worked.  The old full metal hammer has been a good one, but I have a solid metal mallet which has more weight and works even better.

It is just getting the position right and keeping a nut on so it does not wreck the axle threads.

* I would usually hold it in place, but to film I had to just sit it there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1332 on: April 14, 2023, 06:54:32 PM »
Boss skate the stage 4s…predictably makes me want some

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1333 on: April 14, 2023, 07:07:25 PM »
I’m really loving my 149 Mids, I can see myself happily skating another. I skated some hollow 144s early pandemic and I thought they were abysmal (to be fair they’re the first and only 8.25 & hollow trucks I’ve skated)

rikki

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1334 on: April 15, 2023, 08:33:25 AM »
I’m really loving my 149 Mids, I can see myself happily skating another. I skated some hollow 144s early pandemic and I thought they were abysmal (to be fair they’re the first and only 8.25 & hollow trucks I’ve skated)

Why'd you think they sucked? I've been very happy with my 144 titaniums, tbh.

mbam003

« Reply #1335 on: April 15, 2023, 09:49:32 AM »
I broke two TI axles and both Trucks got warrantied. The second one was more than 4 months old. They gave me a new set for each break. So the chance is good.

I'm getting a single new truck from the shop, which is acceptable for me right now. I mean it's not super nice, but it's reasonable as it completely eliminates my problem. The long term reliability of titanium trucks concerns me much more.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1336 on: April 15, 2023, 10:38:38 AM »

i tell my customers to do the warranty claim through the shop rather than on their own. That way i act as a "filter": "yeah it's going to work no problem" or "nah it won't be covered"
This way, as a shop, we build a relation with the guy managing warranty claims at NHS, for the better.
It makes it easier for everyone if the guy in charge at NHS trust the shop employee / owner.

Anyway, this should be covered. Insist on the truck being the elite truck and it should not bend like that

i recently did 3 warranty claims for 144 Titanium. Axle broke right at the hanger. For each broken truck, we got a pair of trucks as a replacement.

Metallurgy sidenote: you can't say a Ti axle is weaker than a chromoly. It has a lot to do with the alloy blend / composition / heat treatment / the whole process

Edit: Even if it's good they replaced your bent truck, i'm pretty sure they'll get a pair as a replacement...

vicious cycle

« Reply #1337 on: April 15, 2023, 10:45:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I have still skated them with no issues after hammering them back to straight, from being bent, but I know other people will not touch them again for fear of them bending again / even more.  Hammered back standard / solid axles and hollow without issue and they have been good since but ti axles never seem to hammer back once bent, no matter how much I pound them.

Here is something I posted a while ago, which is easy enough to see.  This is just one way, but it worked.  The old full metal hammer has been a good one, but I have a solid metal mallet which has more weight and works even better.

It is just getting the position right and keeping a nut on so it does not wreck the axle threads.

* I would usually hold it in place, but to film I had to just sit it there.

Indeed I'm a bit worried to skate them again. I put the truck into a vice and slowly bended it back to a point where my eyes think they are straight. I think I'll give them away. Just started riding Ventures. I'm kinda over indys now. Not because I don't like them but all the quality issues I had kinda killed the vibe.

vicious cycle

« Reply #1338 on: April 15, 2023, 10:55:23 AM »
I'm getting a single new truck from the shop, which is acceptable for me right now. I mean it's not super nice, but it's reasonable as it completely eliminates my problem. The long term reliability of titanium trucks concerns me much more.
Yea that's why I went back to hollows first and now after bending them too i went the venture way.. Let's see if they are any better in the long run. I mean the only real benefits I had with TI was the axles won't get beat up as easy on the threads. Didn't felt the weight differents at all. One truck replacement is better than nothing. Maybe if they break you will get a new set like me. But I don't hope so..  :-X

mbam003

« Reply #1339 on: April 15, 2023, 11:27:07 AM »
Edit: Even if it's good they replaced your bent truck, i'm pretty sure they'll get a pair as a replacement...

That's wack if they weaseled me out of a truck, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I bought the trucks at Titus, never had issues. Worth to inquire NHS?

manysnakes

« Reply #1340 on: April 15, 2023, 02:11:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s easy enough to bend steel back straight with good leverage. Make sure you protect the threads. But also contact Indy and see if they’ll offer you a warranty replacement.

vicious cycle

« Reply #1341 on: April 15, 2023, 03:50:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

It’s easy enough to bend steel back straight with good leverage. Make sure you protect the threads. But also contact Indy and see if they’ll offer you a warranty replacement.
I already did bend the axle back with good result. The thing is.. It was kinda easy, a little bit to easy. I don't think they will stay straight for long. It's already the 3rd replacement and I'm kinda over it now. Gonna give them away and call it a day.

manysnakes

« Reply #1342 on: April 15, 2023, 04:36:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
I already did bend the axle back with good result. The thing is.. It was kinda easy, a little bit to easy. I don't think they will stay straight for long. It's already the 3rd replacement and I'm kinda over it now. Gonna give them away and call it a day.

Hollow steel has a higher fatigue limit than a regular 4140 chromoly axle would, so yeah I suspect that it’s subtly deforming.

IpathCats

« Reply #1343 on: April 19, 2023, 07:50:44 AM »

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1344 on: April 20, 2023, 12:07:20 PM »
Yeah I love my mids. Maybe only 10 hours in them so far but they’re great for me. Standard Indy’s are too tall for me and are one of my least favorite options, but these rules. I skated classic Aces forever so weight wasn’t an issue and kingpin clearance isn’t a major factor for me. I ain’t dipping any smiths any time soon.

manysnakes

« Reply #1345 on: April 20, 2023, 03:32:42 PM »
I've got some unskated Mids on ice, if someone wants them I'll make a good deal. With my new job, I'm skating so infrequently, as skating curbs even less often, so I expect my Ace will late me a few more years at this rate.

jimgrude

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1346 on: April 20, 2023, 05:25:03 PM »
Is anyone by chance thinking of giving them a go? If so, why?

PrairieSkater

« Reply #1347 on: April 20, 2023, 06:01:43 PM »
Is anyone by chance thinking of giving them a go? If so, why?
HAHAHA my fucking laptop was bugging out. ahh

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #1348 on: April 25, 2023, 06:18:56 AM »
bought myself some indy blue 92a bushings to replace the stock ones on my forged hollows and they are really loose on the kingpin. there's a good 2-3mm gap between the inner hole of the bushing to the kingpin edge compared to the stock ones that slide down the kingpin not tight but snug.

has anyone noticed this when replacing theirs before?

tempted to try a set of bones hards, just using one on top (roadside), leaving the boardside bushing stock.

anyone running this combo or able to offer another solution?

sorry for asking but i dont want to scroll 45 pages to see if anyones come across the same thing.

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

IpathCats

« Reply #1349 on: April 25, 2023, 06:22:34 AM »
bought myself some indy blue 92a bushings to replace the stock ones on my forged hollows and they are really loose on the kingpin. there's a good 2-3mm gap between the inner hole of the bushing to the kingpin edge compared to the stock ones that slide down the kingpin not tight but snug.

has anyone noticed this when replacing theirs before?

tempted to try a set of bones hards, just using one on top (roadside), leaving the boardside bushing stock.

anyone running this combo or able to offer another solution?

sorry for asking but i dont want to scroll 45 pages to see if anyones come across the same thing.

I've never noticed this personally and ive tried a bunch of indy aftermarkets.

I know there is a lot to sort through, but the search function works pretty well when narrowed down to a single thread.

searching the words "bushing loose" returned just a page of results, with nothing related to your issue.