Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129749 times)

runespliffberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1680 on: October 08, 2023, 03:45:52 PM »
Honestly man this will sound like a total dick comment but neither of your decks has evidence of tailslides it looks like marks from stalls and drop ins. You make it sound like there's a huge dramatic difference, but it seems neither board has really slid much on the tail.

I notice that the park I skate has super waxed ledges and only leaves faint marks on my board, skating there doesn’t scrape off the graphics. Dropping in from this concrete ledge-to-bank at another park makes my tail look like that.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1681 on: October 08, 2023, 05:24:35 PM »
Expand Quote
I put wax on the bushings so they wouldn't squeak anymore, it worked, maybe even a little too loose !  ;D But since I did this, I have a truck that loosens too much and my bolt loosens itself after a while (As if it wasn't screwed in and as if the truck bolt was going to fall off.) and I have to tighten a lot.. Anyone had the same problem ?  Is it the fact of having used too much wax ?  :-\
[close]
The nylock on your nut is bad. You probably just need a new screw.

New nut, not new screw, but yes that is the thing I was thinking, as long as the kingpin nut is completely on and not just half on or finger tight, but you can check that yourself, just by taking everything else off and putting the kiingpin nut back on and tighten it down by hand first.  If it goes all the way on (or off) by hand, then get a new kingpin nut.

Also mark it on one face and keep an eye on it to see if it is actually moving, or more just in your mind, but I know certain tricks used to move the nut as bushings compress with side to side movement too.

I had friends who would always have the nut only half on and they would always complain about it.  The most common solution there is either cut the top bushing to help it fit, or get softer bushings and get that nut completely on, which will allow for more clearance and less possibility of the nut coming off mid skate and you ending up on the ground.

Trimming the top bushing a single mm works wonders in that area.

That is all based on a normal kinpgin setup.  If you have the inverted kingpins, then you have a different problem - loctite or something will help there, as per other people talking about it in the Indy mid thread.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #1682 on: October 10, 2023, 09:44:53 AM »
Welp, my 159 Hollows have axle slip. I’ve had them since July 2022. For some reason it’s happening more often since I started flipping my board. Don’t feel like upgrading since it’s about to be winter, but don’t want to stop in middle of a session to loosen my trucks.

The back wheel gets so tight that it’s stopped me a few times. Not like a pebble, but enough to make me no longer trust this set of trucks 😖

Gonna grab a new set and swap out the bushings. Maybe they’ll feel the same. Who knows, might move up to 169 (on an 8.5 inch deck) lol

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1683 on: October 10, 2023, 11:54:47 AM »
thanks Mbrimson88 and Creachteach for the indy low insight. I ended up putting them on a setup. So far I'm liking them but they're tight as fuck, I think it's cuz the bushings are so old. I swapped them out for some fresh ones, I haven't tried em since but hopefully they turn a little more.

I was wondering, do y'all know if the Indy Stage 11 lows share the same baseplate to the standard height Stage 11s? The kingpin clearance is awful on these so I was thinking of swapping in the IKP baseplates that I have.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1684 on: October 10, 2023, 12:23:43 PM »
The cast IKP plates are flagged as ‘universal’

“ Convert any Independent truck to an inverted kingpin setup for better grind clearance. ”

Good luck!

People have swapped mid hangers and plates, McCoy is riding stage iv hangers on forged plates…people over think it…the right bushing height will probably be more important.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1685 on: October 10, 2023, 02:03:43 PM »
Yah to add to that if you are swapping don't make it a precise laboratory grade science experiment. Get it close enough by eyeballing it, see how it rides, and you should likely be fine. People alter hanger angles by cranking their trucks, replacing bushings with Bones/removing the bottom washer, all sorts of stuff. As long as the yoke angle aligns mostly with the pivot cup and the hanger hole doesn't bind on the kingpin, it shall turn.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #1686 on: October 10, 2023, 03:31:13 PM »
Yah to add to that if you are swapping don't make it a precise laboratory grade science experiment. Get it close enough by eyeballing it, see how it rides, and you should likely be fine. People alter hanger angles by cranking their trucks, replacing bushings with Bones/removing the bottom washer, all sorts of stuff. As long as the yoke angle aligns mostly with the pivot cup and the hanger hole doesn't bind on the kingpin, it shall turn.

I just want my trucks to turn the way they're designed. I get that it's normal to alter the truck's geometry but I don't want to do that. If I didn't care about accuracy, I would have went ahead and tried it without asking about it, but to a certain extent I do care about accuracy, at least until I find that there can be some functional improvement that can be made through modification.

“ Convert any Independent truck to an inverted kingpin setup for better grind clearance. ”

Good luck!

People have swapped mid hangers and plates, McCoy is riding stage iv hangers on forged plates…people over think it…the right bushing height will probably be more important.

I figured that the IKP plates could be considered universal because they came out a long while after the lows were discontinued, so Indy didn't have to note whether they were or weren't compatible with those because they might as well not even exist as far as Indy is concerned.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1687 on: October 10, 2023, 03:39:58 PM »
Welp, my 159 Hollows have axle slip. I’ve had them since July 2022. For some reason it’s happening more often since I started flipping my board. Don’t feel like upgrading since it’s about to be winter, but don’t want to stop in middle of a session to loosen my trucks.

The back wheel gets so tight that it’s stopped me a few times. Not like a pebble, but enough to make me no longer trust this set of trucks 😖

Gonna grab a new set and swap out the bushings. Maybe they’ll feel the same. Who knows, might move up to 169 (on an 8.5 inch deck) lol

Are you sure it is axle slip?

There seem to be a lot of wheels coming out of bearings issues which would usually have the same effect - wheel stops spinning easily.

Sit the board up on its side, axle on the ground and then push your wheel down, then pull it up to see if the bearings are seated correctly.

I honestly can't think of any current Indy (or other top brand truck) that has had axle slip in recent years, but I have seen a lot of wheels with bearing seats that are too big, so the bearings move in the wheels.

Not doubting you but check this first.

What wheels and bearings are you running?  Spitfire Formula Four have been pretty big on the bearings moving of late, as per quite a few sets I have had too.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1688 on: October 10, 2023, 03:41:19 PM »
If you want your trucks to turn as designed you would use the stock hanger and baseplates and mix/match the Indy replacement bushings to facilitate the turning.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #1689 on: October 10, 2023, 03:42:20 PM »
If you want your trucks to turn as designed you would use the stock hanger and baseplates and mix/match the Indy replacement bushings to facilitate the turning.

That's what I've done so far, but the kingpin clearance sucks, which is why I was asking about the IKP baseplates.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1690 on: October 10, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just want my trucks to turn the way they're designed. I get that it's normal to alter the truck's geometry but I don't want to do that. If I didn't care about accuracy, I would have went ahead and tried it without asking about it, but to a certain extent I do care about accuracy, at least until I find that there can be some functional improvement that can be made through modification.

Expand Quote

Good luck!

[close]

I figured that the IKP plates could be considered universal because they came out a long while after the lows were discontinued, so Indy didn't have to note whether they were or weren't compatible with those because they might as well not even exist as far as Indy is concerned.

Yeah all of that adds up.

I can't remember what i had posted before, but when I played mix and match with all the different parts, the main thing was the bushings - lows needed a lower head to fit on the lower kingpin - with pretty much everything else the same.

Normal bushings will fit fine in the inverted kingpin with the low hangers, which does make it easier to go with any option of bushings, rather than having to use cut down tops, or try to squeeze bushings onto lower kingpins.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1691 on: October 12, 2023, 12:33:39 AM »
With your experience, for those who skate or have skated the indy forged hollows 139, what is the best board to fit with them ? :)

I just skated a real 8.06 standard with a length of 31.8 and 14.3 wheelbase, despite the long board for my small size, I really liked it, and I didn't have any trouble skating ! But if I have the possibility, a smaller length would still be more beneficial for me for some Tricks, like switch flips or 360 flips.

I hesitate to return to Baker, because I have the impression that Indy and Baker fit together perfectly !

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1692 on: October 12, 2023, 04:36:42 AM »
With your experience, for those who skate or have skated the indy forged hollows 139, what is the best board to fit with them ? :)

I just skated a real 8.06 standard with a length of 31.8 and 14.3 wheelbase, despite the long board for my small size, I really liked it, and I didn't have any trouble skating ! But if I have the possibility, a smaller length would still be more beneficial for me for some Tricks, like switch flips or 360 flips.

I hesitate to return to Baker, because I have the impression that Indy and Baker fit together perfectly !

I'd imagine Primitive, Baker, Hockey/FA (non blunted shape: "Shape 2"), and April in the 8.0 - 8.125 range would work well, since all of those work well with 8.5 on Indy forged Hollow 149 for me. Especially if the shapes you like have longer WB, since Indy brings it in a bit to even it out

I've skated 139 forged Hollow 11-12 years ago on AntiHero and Real with good success: 8.06 or 8.25 if I recall correctly.
Super Champion Fun Zone

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1693 on: October 12, 2023, 12:00:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd imagine Primitive, Baker, Hockey/FA (non blunted shape: "Shape 2"), and April in the 8.0 - 8.125 range would work well, since all of those work well with 8.5 on Indy forged Hollow 149 for me. Especially if the shapes you like have longer WB, since Indy brings it in a bit to even it out

I've skated 139 forged Hollow 11-12 years ago on AntiHero and Real with good success: 8.06 or 8.25 if I recall correctly.

Thank you for this answer ! I hesitate too for a Girl deck 31.5 with 14 WB !

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1694 on: October 12, 2023, 03:35:45 PM »

Banned from the room

« Reply #1695 on: October 20, 2023, 12:30:20 PM »

What should I do with these?

I was thinking of trying to find someone with 6.1s that doesn't like um and trade up but kids definitely don't want sub 139s of any condition.

Second choice was to hang on to them for another decade see if the baby bloards come back a lil more tryto sell.

3rd would be set up a freestyle board or get a super wide wheel and make a lil pool smasher.

4th put um on a bloard and give them to a Grom at Lynch who's just starting out and has like a plastic crap bloard.

What do pals think?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1696 on: October 20, 2023, 12:35:33 PM »
129s?
stage 10?

wenning cosplay. set up the 7.4 with some 49s. switch tre on everyone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1697 on: October 20, 2023, 05:19:40 PM »

I was thinking of trying to find someone with 6.1s that doesn't like um and trade up but kids definitely don't want sub 139s of any condition.

Second choice was to hang on to them for another decade see if the baby bloards come back a lil more tryto sell.

3rd would be set up a freestyle board or get a super wide wheel and make a lil pool smasher.

4th put um on a bloard and give them to a Grom at Lynch who's just starting out and has like a plastic crap bloard.

What do pals think?

You have there what appear to be some Stage 8 126 or at most 136 trucks.

STAGE  8 - 1998

6 HOLES mounting base plate with cross logo added.

Introduced the 126mm truck (Duralites)

Reduced material on hanger wing to lighten up truck. Introduced new baseplate / kingpin design rendering inverted kingpin use impossible.

Stage VIII - original release date 9/98
126 (new size)
stage I 101's and stage IV 215's still available

As to what to do with them, they might be better sold to a collector more so than set up on a board, given the current state of them, being almost new unused, so someone with a period correct 7.5 or so deck might like to add them to their collection, but as to how much or whatever, that is up to you to figure out, or more so up to how much someone would be willing to buy them for.

They would quite often be worth more than a set of any current stock trucks (including Venture 6.1s) but someone might be in a position to trade you a few things for them too.

Realistically, they don't ride all that well, compared to modern trucks, have zero kingpin clearance and even set up on a cruiser with mini cubic wheels or something that would make them fit better on a normal sized board, as I have done, they were just the sort of truck that would be best for someone to put on a display board, more so than set up and ride, but that is all personal opinion too.

At least now you know what you have there.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #1698 on: October 21, 2023, 09:03:38 AM »
Do forged sets and standards sets both have the same hanger?  I have some standards that I want to make forged height and I have some extra forged baseplates.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1699 on: October 21, 2023, 09:05:17 AM »
Do forged sets and standards sets both have the same hanger?  I have some standards that I want to make forged height and I have some extra forged baseplates.

yep, mix and match all you'd like.  I usually do the opposite, and I use the ti hangars on cast and cast-hollow plates
hardly art, hardly starving

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
« Reply #1700 on: October 21, 2023, 02:11:50 PM »
Just dropping in to say: I just skated Thunders for a few months, and came back to Indy’s today.

These are the best mothafuckin trucks in the world. Fuck yeah!
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1701 on: October 21, 2023, 02:15:08 PM »

What do pals think?
Put them in a glass case, and will them to your next of kin and let them worry about it.

You’ll regret losing those babies.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1702 on: October 21, 2023, 02:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yep, mix and match all you'd like.  I usually do the opposite, and I use the ti hangars on cast and cast-hollow plates

Fuck yeah I just did that: ti hangar with cast base/normal kingpin. It’s nice to have that deep sound grind again. Forged was tinny.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1703 on: October 21, 2023, 02:43:17 PM »
How heavy are the stage 4's compared to some hollows? I dont know a ton about trucks I only skate the same stage 11 hollows for as long as I can remember. I got some stage 4's because my buddy got me stoked on them but I never thought about how they aren't hollow. Will it be that big of a difference or will I not really notice?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #1704 on: October 21, 2023, 03:35:32 PM »
How heavy are the stage 4's compared to some hollows? I dont know a ton about trucks I only skate the same stage 11 hollows for as long as I can remember. I got some stage 4's because my buddy got me stoked on them but I never thought about how they aren't hollow. Will it be that big of a difference or will I not really notice?

Not quite the same but I went from titanium 159 to stage iv 151 and the weight difference is significant. Not that I've ever had monster pop but I am def having to put in more umph to get stuff off the ground and rotating lol, but worth it tho IMO, they turn and grind so well. I also like that they’re higher.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1705 on: October 21, 2023, 04:22:45 PM »
thanks Mbrimson88 and Creachteach for the indy low insight. I ended up putting them on a setup. So far I'm liking them but they're tight as fuck, I think it's cuz the bushings are so old. I swapped them out for some fresh ones, I haven't tried em since but hopefully they turn a little more.

I was wondering, do y'all know if the Indy Stage 11 lows share the same baseplate to the standard height Stage 11s? The kingpin clearance is awful on these so I was thinking of swapping in the IKP baseplates that I have.

I’ve been riding a pair of Indy stage 11 lows with the cast IKP for the past 18 months, and they’re great. i would say stay as close as you can to the original height of the bottom bushings, I found that putting those venture green bushings with a lower head work great.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Banned from the room

« Reply #1706 on: October 21, 2023, 10:23:12 PM »
Thanks yo

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1707 on: October 26, 2023, 06:09:49 AM »
It seems there's a Hollow IKP truck coming from Indy (Spring 2024).
Has it already been discussed ?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1708 on: October 26, 2023, 03:27:43 PM »
It seems there's a Hollow IKP truck coming from Indy (Spring 2024).
Has it already been discussed ?

I don't think so, apart from people saying they wanted the lighter (hollow forged) options in the mid / IKP versions, from when they first came out.

Seem to recall others putting the Krux down low hollow kingpins on their Indy trucks, which seems like it is about the same, isn't it?

Also interesting that they are still doing the IKP even though they have known faults, with versions of the IKP on regular trucks, eg the Louie Lopez truck, which I saw the other day, someone skating the park I am at, so I got a good look at them when he needed bolts and a couple of things from the shop.

Guessing they put too much time and money into the IKP design and don't want to drop them, although having a stock kingpin with even just a few more threads seems like it would be way better.  I tried a few different versions of older inverted kingpins in some I have and they feel a bit more manageable.

Are there more pro versions of the IKP coming out, be it mids or regulars?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1709 on: October 26, 2023, 05:03:29 PM »
I am having withdrawal from the sheer joy of turning on INDYS.

Popping was extra high without even trying, too, with the 55mm height. More time for board to get vertical, I mean radical.