Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129721 times)

Dwyck, roba and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

hikyle2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1980 on: February 07, 2024, 04:36:32 PM »
I have a set of IKP baseplates, and I have noticed that on one baseplate the kingpin threads seem to bottom out before the other one, leading to a significantly looser truck on one end than the other. Has anyone else observed this in theirs as well? I was considering trying to return them to NHS for another set but if they're not making them anymore I might not bother

I had the same issue, I run my trucks pretty tight and would bottom out way to early.  They need to have a longer thread and less sleeve but they probably had some issue with the bushings.  I fixed it by running a bottom conical bushing on the top, I just flipped it over and the height made it work.  Kinda looks like a polarizer truck but it's functional so I'm running with it for now.  The kingpin height likely negates any benefit of ikp at this point, but I was too stubborn to switch back. 

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1981 on: February 07, 2024, 05:26:50 PM »
I emailed NHS this afternoon and they stated, "no word on mids being discontinued on our end."
Not what I was told.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1642
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #1982 on: February 07, 2024, 05:41:07 PM »
Expand Quote
I emailed NHS this afternoon and they stated, "no word on mids being discontinued on our end."
[close]
Not what I was told.

I don't doubt you. Just sharing what I heard. I don't have any insider information, I just emailed them by their "contact us" function on their site.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1983 on: February 07, 2024, 08:01:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Not what I was told.
[close]

I don't doubt you. Just sharing what I heard. I don't have any insider information, I just emailed them by their "contact us" function on their site.

I guess it’s only me, Tiago and Carlos that love the mids…

Sigh…

They were the only Indy’s that worked for me exactly as Carlos said, just low enough I can tap my tail without getting ghost pop

I really hope it isn’t true, if anything just remaster the mids somehow

I can’t do the regular stage 11, even the 53.5mm forged aren’t low enough

That 52mm height is the the sweet spot, not too low you tap too fast and get rockets but not too tall you ghost
yes

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1984 on: February 07, 2024, 09:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Not what I was told.
[close]

[close]

Sigh…

They were the only Indy’s that worked for me exactly as Carlos said, just low enough I can tap my tail without getting ghost pop

That 52mm height is the the sweet spot, not too low you tap too fast and get rockets but not too tall you ghost

haven’t tried the mids, but don’t like how indy’s feel for me, i think because height

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1985 on: February 07, 2024, 11:14:36 PM »
I love my indy hollows, as I said, very good compromise for all boards, but once again, big problem with the back truck which unscrews naturally over time.. As you can see in the photo, the bolt of the back truck is much higher and less tight than the nose one.. I had this problem with the original bushings, and it was worse because after a while my truck was no longer even tight and it was like daewon song truck, I even had the truck disassembled by itself during a session.. I even had trouble finding my bolt which landed in the grass.. ;D , that's why I changed to bones bushings, It seemed to me that things were getting better, and I seem to have the same problem starting again..And yet, if I tighten the back truck to the same level as the front truck, it's much tighter than the front.. See what I mean ? Unfortunately, I don't know if my next trucks will be indy , I have never had this kind of problem with other brands.. Is this a defect in your opinion of the kingpin ?

The back truck :

The front truck :

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1986 on: February 07, 2024, 11:32:39 PM »
What's the measurements of the kingpins? Base plat to end on both.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1987 on: February 08, 2024, 01:42:26 AM »
I love my indy hollows, as I said, very good compromise for all boards, but once again, big problem with the back truck which unscrews naturally over time.. As you can see in the photo, the bolt of the back truck is much higher and less tight than the nose one.. I had this problem with the original bushings, and it was worse because after a while my truck was no longer even tight and it was like daewon song truck, I even had the truck disassembled by itself during a session.. I even had trouble finding my bolt which landed in the grass.. ;D , that's why I changed to bones bushings, It seemed to me that things were getting better, and I seem to have the same problem starting again..And yet, if I tighten the back truck to the same level as the front truck, it's much tighter than the front.. See what I mean ? Unfortunately, I don't know if my next trucks will be indy , I have never had this kind of problem with other brands.. Is this a defect in your opinion of the kingpin ?

I guess I would look at that and get that kingpin nut down so at least all threads engage, so the top of the nut is at least the same level as the kingpin itself, but that is just me.  I don't like kingpin sticking up above the nut ever, but in some situations the opposite is going to cause more problems and people I know have had to keep stopping to tighten the kingpin nut multiple times every session.

With some bushings or arrangements, people can't get the trucks loose enough with having the kingpin nut down lower, so you either change out the kingpin nut, tighten it down some more or figure out a different way to sort out the trucks.  Maybe even try those Bones bushings without the metal washer until they squash down a bit or loosen up, but even that can sometimes cause more problems.

Might sound a bit blunt, but not meaning to be - just one of those things, but at least that is how I see it.

Good luck with whatever you try.

* On any other normal bushings, you can trim down the top bushing, shave it, cut it, rub it down on grip tape or whatever works to get it down a mm and then you have no issues getting the kingpin nut on all the way.  That is what I have done with a lot of sets of trucks to make things work for lighter people who need more turn, without having to buy new bushings, or to get the kingpin nut down lower and give more kingpin clearance at the same time.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

burner

• Rep: 94
« Reply #1988 on: February 08, 2024, 02:07:42 AM »

The back truck :

The front truck :

No - it’s not a defect. You need to engage the Nylock for the nut to stay on, if the nuts are on properly and still coming loose, you need new kingpin nuts. I’d say, new nuts, crank them at least flush, if that’s too tight then change to Bones soft.

Jack Locke

« Reply #1989 on: February 08, 2024, 02:11:09 AM »
i have some indy mid 159 on an old/new enjoi 9.125 egg. really like them

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1990 on: February 08, 2024, 05:27:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Not what I was told.
[close]

[close]

Sigh…

Maybe give thunders with the cast plates a shot?

I rode indys for a long time, but i've been enjoying my time on thunders for about a year or so now.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1991 on: February 08, 2024, 12:41:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Not what I was told.
[close]

[close]

Sigh…

[close]

I rode indys for a long time, but i've been enjoying my time on thunders for about a year or so now.

@Rob is the king of the truck setups thread, I’m sure he’s tried everything available on the market

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1992 on: February 08, 2024, 02:27:02 PM »

Sigh…

To be fair, how long does a set of trucks last for you?

I have seen so many around still, lots on clearance so I would go as far as to say they are a bargain and you could stock up and be set for life, or close to it, with the current stock that is around, depending on funds or other things.

Any which way, I can't see them disappearing overnight, or even within a year - there are that many out there.

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1993 on: February 08, 2024, 06:48:17 PM »
So is it just me or do forged Indy's turn different than standards? I know the geometry it supposed to be the same, but I swear the standards just turn better. I was at the park the other day skating 2 different setups, one with forged and the other standards. They had the exact same new bushings and were tightened down the same number of threads. But skating them side by side, I could definitely tell the forged turned more shallow or something? Kind of hard to explain but turning just doesn't feel the same. Anybody else feel this way or is it just my madness?

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1994 on: February 08, 2024, 07:04:51 PM »
So is it just me or do forged Indy's turn different than standards? I know the geometry it supposed to be the same, but I swear the standards just turn better. I was at the park the other day skating 2 different setups, one with forged and the other standards. They had the exact same new bushings and were tightened down the same number of threads. But skating them side by side, I could definitely tell the forged turned more shallow or something? Kind of hard to explain but turning just doesn't feel the same. Anybody else feel this way or is it just my madness?

They do turn a bit differently but that’s part of the height difference I think.  If the trucks were different widths that may have affected how they turn, the stock bushings in one may be taller than the other, etc. There’s a lot of factors that could cause the different feel.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1995 on: February 08, 2024, 08:13:28 PM »

They do turn a bit differently but that’s part of the height difference I think.  If the trucks were different widths that may have affected how they turn, the stock bushings in one may be taller than the other, etc. There’s a lot of factors that could cause the different feel.

Same board too?

I know some people set up an identical product to check / test things, but being a skateboard there can always be differences, even in how things are wearing, bushings in particular.

That said, being lower and getting to wheelbite faster, I can feel like there is "less turn" on boards I have with forged baseplates, compared to my usual cast standard trucks / baseplates, so I would need to put 1.5 mm risers on to really check if they felt different to me, so they are both the same height.

I haven't looked that closely at or made comparisons, but Meathook most likely has it right there as well.

hikyle2

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1996 on: February 08, 2024, 08:54:08 PM »
Wasn’t a better turning truck one of the reasons they went to 55mm on the stage 11 from 53.5 on the stage 10?

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1997 on: February 08, 2024, 09:03:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Not what I was told.
[close]

[close]

Sigh…

The new Royals are 52mm high, and turn a lot like indys

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1998 on: February 09, 2024, 12:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Not what I was told.
[close]

[close]

Sigh…

[close]

[close]

@Rob is the king of the truck setups thread, I’m sure he’s tried everything available on the market

Ahaha thank you thank you but I’m more of the king kook of truck setups

Yeah thunders are my goto but I like to swap around cause I’m in denial that thunders might be the best trucks

They’re really good but I’m looking for that truck that I can adjust uniquely to me, I skate tight but I still want to be able to turn a little when I lean hard or push fast and a pop angle that’s geared towards my preference(flip tricks, grind, manuals)

And yes embarrassing to admit I have tried almost everything even mini logos, tensors(even the alloys ) krux(k3,k4, and current k5), destructos(the modern ones not early 00’s), silver M and L class, all the aces, theeve, slappy, and all the popular stuff

The only trucks I haven’t tried are the lurpivs, film, tracker axis and current royals with the sacred geometry baseplates and revamped pivot stem(I’ve had the previous generation and they were good)

I have a set of the new royals but I’m waiting for the shop to stock the 139 to swap cause I’m all about the carpet board setup these days and 144 is too much boat for me

I’m pondering to grab a set of the tracker axis but trucks being in the tall 54/55mm height group seem to never work my way, too much ghost pop cause muscle memory doesn’t wanna adjust from the glory days of 7.6 low trucks

To be fair, how long does a set of trucks last for you?

I have seen so many around still, lots on clearance so I would go as far as to say they are a bargain and you could stock up and be set for life, or close to it, with the current stock that is around, depending on funds or other things.

Any which way, I can't see them disappearing overnight, or even within a year - there are that many out there.

A set of trucks so far has lasted me a good year even 2 if I actually stick to it, I don’t grind them down crazy but more like the axle get bent or something about the way they turn doesn’t work anymore and I’m like eh next

But I’m glad to know cause I did about the same with the stage 11 lows, got 3 sets just hanging out. Standard raws, Reynolds hollows, and an all black hollow Leo Romero set

I tried plugging them on but all of a sudden they really were too low where I kept rocketing a lot and I gave up, but when they work it’s the best hefty pop you work for and I think that’s the feeling Leo Romero had down but the bullying got him on the standard 139 now from his previous 129 lows. Can you believe the pop he had and he was riding 129 LOWS! Like Billy marks and tommy Sandoval type stuff

The new Royals are 52mm high, and turn a lot like indys

Just waiting to try them when they get a set of 139 at the shop, supposedly the supplier hasn’t been getting back to most of the shops so who knows what’s going on with the supply chain and royal doesn’t respond to any emails so until then maybe I’ll suck it up and plug the 144 on and skate them and love them but madness won’t let me settle

I’m just glad atleast I know I like the trucks tight so don’t really have to goof off and try to find the “sweet spot”

Just break in the bushings, crank them, bust a kickflip like the ole “if it’s a good deck you can kickflip good first try” if it caught and landed clean the trucks are tight enough

Back on topic, you guys think they’ll come out with a stage 1/2/3 remaster like the 4 to compete with the lurpiv/ a bigger 109/smaller 215?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 01:07:41 AM by rob »
yes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1999 on: February 09, 2024, 03:50:59 AM »
Wasn’t a better turning truck one of the reasons they went to 55mm on the stage 11 from 53.5 on the stage 10?

Yeah people wanted the feel of the Stage 7 and 8, more so than the lower Stage 9 and 10, so they went back to 55 mm tall on the Stage 11, with the forged baseplate coming in at 53.5 mm to keep others happy who wanted a lower truck.

Kind of funny cause there was always someone wanting something else, more turn, more height, more clearance, lower height, lower weight, etc.

Back on topic, you guys think they’ll come out with a stage 1/2/3 remaster like the 4 to compete with the lurpiv/ a bigger 109/smaller 215?

At least everything works really well for now, so I really can't see a whole lot more options, but I don't know what the future holds at all in terms of re releases and other options or variations.

No doubt they will try to come up with something else in light of other trucks or trends, as it all goes.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2000 on: February 09, 2024, 12:35:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah people wanted the feel of the Stage 7 and 8, more so than the lower Stage 9 and 10, so they went back to 55 mm tall on the Stage 11, with the forged baseplate coming in at 53.5 mm to keep others happy who wanted a lower truck.

Kind of funny cause there was always someone wanting something else, more turn, more height, more clearance, lower height, lower weight, etc.

Expand Quote

[close]

At least everything works really well for now, so I really can't see a whole lot more options, but I don't know what the future holds at all in terms of re releases and other options or variations.

No doubt they will try to come up with something else in light of other trucks or trends, as it all goes.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, and coming back to this thread I realized. The stage 4 is a smaller 215.

I wonder if time will repeat itself and we get a 53mm standard again cause they figured out how to give it the stage 4/ace turn and less wheelbite

Cause aren’t ace af1 53mm and popular
yes

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2001 on: February 09, 2024, 01:59:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Same board too?

I know some people set up an identical product to check / test things, but being a skateboard there can always be differences, even in how things are wearing, bushings in particular.

That said, being lower and getting to wheelbite faster, I can feel like there is "less turn" on boards I have with forged baseplates, compared to my usual cast standard trucks / baseplates, so I would need to put 1.5 mm risers on to really check if they felt different to me, so they are both the same height.

I haven't looked that closely at or made comparisons, but Meathook most likely has it right there as well.

Yeah the 2 setups I was skating were Girl G008 shapes with Indy 139's. One set standards and the other forged titanium. I used the same Indy replacement bushings tightened down the same number of threads. All things being as equal as possible, I definitely noticed a difference in how they turn. I've read that the forged plates extend the wheelbase a little so I'm thinking that could be the reason?

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2002 on: February 09, 2024, 02:33:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Same board too?

[close]

Yeah the 2 setups I was skating were Girl G008 shapes with Indy 139's. One set standards and the other forged titanium. I used the same Indy replacement bushings tightened down the same number of threads. All things being as equal as possible, I definitely noticed a difference in how they turn. I've read that the forged plates extend the wheelbase a little so I'm thinking that could be the reason?
That’s definitely at least part of it. A smaller wheelbase will be able to turn tighter than a longer wheel base. The height probably plays a part in it as well but I don’t know for sure or the exact specifics that it would affect outside of being able to turn deeper before wheelbite.

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2003 on: February 09, 2024, 04:33:48 PM »
Currently on Aces, but considering Indy standard 169 or 215 for my next setup. I like to ride around 9.0-9.75. Should I size all the way up to 215 or go for the 169s?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2004 on: February 09, 2024, 04:41:23 PM »

I wonder if time will repeat itself and we get a 53mm standard again cause they figured out how to give it the stage 4/ace turn and less wheelbite

Cause aren’t ace af1 53mm and popular

Re Ace - yes definitely.  I can appreciate the trucks from riding a few sets of those too, but my happy place is Indy standards.

Even just the basic / standard Indy in a lower form, similar to the Ace low might work better than something that has all the wizardry and hi tech goings on of the Indy mid.  Ace lowered the truck in the baseplate, so still use the same hanger for all.  That would seem like a more logical step to take.

Currently on Aces, but considering Indy standard 169 or 215 for my next setup. I like to ride around 9.0-9.75. Should I size all the way up to 215 or go for the 169s?

Although there are people out there who love the 215, I feel like it is just a bit too big for most setups unless you are riding a 10+ sized board and everything I have had them on has been a little over the top, compared to running 169s on almost all of those same boards and feeling like they just worked so much better.

If you are talking shaped boards, most shaped boards might be not as wide over the truck areas, so the 169s will fit really well, especially on 9 to 9.5 but even on something like Krooked Sweatpants at 9.81 or the AH beach bummer which is 10" at the widest point but tapers enough to have 215s stick out a lot.

Best thing to do is measure whatever boards you have there and see how wide they are at the far front and back bolts, cause that is going to be the axle width you are looking at, more so than the total width of the board as per dimensions on paper or online.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2005 on: February 09, 2024, 11:42:58 PM »
Indys: Wait, don't forged baseplates shorten the WB, not extend it? I've always "felt" standard plates felt a little longer than forged ones, which feel more nimble on top of being lower. Is there any confirmation anywhere on whether they shorten or not?
Super Champion Fun Zone

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2006 on: February 10, 2024, 12:03:09 AM »
Indys: Wait, don't forged baseplates shorten the WB, not extend it? I've always "felt" standard plates felt a little longer than forged ones, which feel more nimble on top of being lower. Is there any confirmation anywhere on whether they shorten or not?
Forged plates extend the wheelbase more than the standards, but not by a huge amount. The first post in the thread linked below has measurements. Some people measured forged as 3.125 some 3.1875 but the standards seem to consistently measure 3 inches.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
« Reply #2007 on: February 10, 2024, 06:00:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

It really does seem like Stage 11 is Indy’s final form.

Where else could they improve? (Other than manufacturing quality… I just got replacement 144 hollows and the pivot nubs in these also move side to side in the pivot cups. But at least the board goes straight. For now.)

I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2008 on: February 10, 2024, 07:16:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
It really does seem like Stage 11 is Indy’s final form.

Where else could they improve? (Other than manufacturing quality… I just got replacement 144 hollows and the pivot nubs in these also move side to side in the pivot cups. But at least the board goes straight. For now.)

I think there are probably a number of places where and Indy could lose some weight, but other than that, it has been like 12 years, so it seems like they have settled on the XI as the default iteration of an Independent Truck. It's currently being used by the best skaters in the world in street and transition, and clearly it works for both of the popular types of "trick" skateboarding, so there seems to be little need to change things (especially with the recent offerings of Stage IV). A Stage XII would probably alienate a lot of skaters, and they'd likely have to keep offering the XI, which would cost a fortune in tooling and in SKUs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2009 on: February 10, 2024, 12:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Forged plates extend the wheelbase more than the standards, but not by a huge amount. The first post in the thread linked below has measurements. Some people measured forged as 3.125 some 3.1875 but the standards seem to consistently measure 3 inches.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

Thank you! Appreciate the link to info!
Super Champion Fun Zone