Author Topic: NEW Puleo Interview!  (Read 64871 times)

Narcissus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: NEW Puleo Interview!
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
Oh, goddamn, I love me some Puleo.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »

wow nice kickflip over a 6 inch high pipe.

It's no 15 stair, but it's a nice photo.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2011, 10:04:03 AM »
^do you realize how small that bank is? and that hes kickflipping on the bank, over a small distance/height, and back into the bank right?  i know it looks simple but that shit is actually kind of hard, that shit takes precision.   

i love his definition of street skating...
the art of interpreting objects and setups that occur naturally in the streets and sidewalks and incorporating them into your skating

i think thats whats missing these days.  people don't street skate these days, they "spot skate".  they go to a spot, do a single trick and thats it.  they lack the vision to incorporate the other things around them and work it into their skating.  if i go to a street spot i'm not trying to do a bunch of tricks on one thing, i'm looking to see what else is around and trying to work all of it into one line. 

i actually had a kid ask me why i'm always doing lines instead of dropping hammers.  i was completely dumbfounded, i didn't even know how to answer him.  long and short of it is, thats what i enjoy in/about skateboarding so thats how i skate.  nothing wrong with dropping hammers but people with little to no skill can land a trick with enough determination.  if you can work other tricks into your surroundings AND drop that hammer, that makes you totally fucking awesome.  those are the type of skaters that get me hyped.

sonny sharrock

• Rep: 4
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »
I totally agree with you faster! .

My favorite was this part:

Who do you skate for now?
I ride for Traffic, Venture, VKTM and HIFI. Although HIFI hasn't been good on their end of the deal they made with me. I'm not down with that type of shit.

I like how he disses one of his current sponsors in his interview. Real talk always from Mr Puleo. 

Then again it's not the first time in the past couple years that someone riding for a Stereo or Stereo off-shoot brand has said that Stereo doesn't treat their riders right.

SkullDude

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
TRAFFIC
We think different than you so we are better/more skateboarding than you.
hahaha What the fuck ever. I know why you skate by yourself then.

If no one cares then thats it's relevance.  Thats always been skateboarding.
If it pisses you off quit. No one is forcing you to be pro. You're not making money anyway, remember?

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
i actually had a kid ask me why i'm always doing lines instead of dropping hammers.� i was completely dumbfounded, i didn't even know how to answer him.�

This kind of thing puzzled me for a while too. I've come to realize I can't be mad at a kid for trying to be like his favorite pro. We all did it to an extent.

Kids are just exposed to things differently than the older heads were. Instead of getting to see a couple videos a year with nice lines and good style it's a rat race to get the latest greatest footage on the internet, and most kids' attitudes about skating shows this.

I look at it as taking the fun out of something, but maybe for them that's where the fun is at.

ImKindOfABigDeal

• Rep: -4
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
Yeah skatings getting so commercial
Ok IPath I'll skate for you if you give me lots of money and a pro shoe

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2011, 10:44:57 AM »
^do you realize how small that bank is? and that hes kickflipping on the bank, over a small distance/height, and back into the bank right?  i know it looks simple but that shit is actually kind of hard, that shit takes precision.   

i love his definition of street skating...
the art of interpreting objects and setups that occur naturally in the streets and sidewalks and incorporating them into your skating

i think thats whats missing these days.  people don't street skate these days, they "spot skate".  they go to a spot, do a single trick and thats it.  they lack the vision to incorporate the other things around them and work it into their skating.  if i go to a street spot i'm not trying to do a bunch of tricks on one thing, i'm looking to see what else is around and trying to work all of it into one line. 

i actually had a kid ask me why i'm always doing lines instead of dropping hammers.  i was completely dumbfounded, i didn't even know how to answer him.  long and short of it is, thats what i enjoy in/about skateboarding so thats how i skate.  nothing wrong with dropping hammers but people with little to no skill can land a trick with enough determination.  if you can work other tricks into your surroundings AND drop that hammer, that makes you totally fucking awesome.  those are the type of skaters that get me hyped.

probably because you do weak lines and have no tricks.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2011, 10:49:28 AM »
you're an idiot. 

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2011, 11:06:38 AM »
no

kappin

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »
From the quotes he definitely sounds like a bitter fuckface with that same high and mighty attitude shared by all the dickheads who think they are "more" skateboarding than anyone else. Calling out Austyn Gillette? Eat a fucking dick, I don't care who you are. From the quotes alone, seems like he's the truest personification of jock asshole skaters and doesn't even realize it.

Kickball

• Rep: -3
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
the reason why 90% of skateboarders go to new york is because of bobby puleo its just a fact. people saw his skating in static 2 and wanted to be like him . but the thing is it don't work like that your not bobby puleo and never will you be. they all just look like fucking fools trying to imitate something that isn't their own "oh look at me i'm pushing down a crusty ny street i must look cool now" dipshits . if no one went to new york to rip off what he created he still would be a top pro and still be authentic you fucking retards fucked it up

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »

This was the part of the interview that got me. Of course people spot skate, they have for a long time, but who the fuck is he to say no one street skates? Plenty of people do, i see it all the time. I like Puleo's skating a lot, but if everyone skated the way he wanted he'd become obsolete so quickly.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »
HAHAHAHA maybe if he actually learned some new tricks. This is what I'm trying to tell you guys old pros are becoming obsolete at whatever they do whether it's gay shit, good tech tricks, or big shit. Kids are actually out there progressing, while old pros are sitting around complaining. if he spent half as much time skating as he spent looking for spots, and talking shit on people, he would actually be good at skating. I've said this before, it's not 1989 anymore, kids have youtube. They can see who's good and who's not.You just can't say brow beat people to make people think they're good anymore. These old clowns don't want to progress, so they talk down on progression, in the guise of "keeping real".

I try to tell you guys this all the time, old skaters hate young skaters, because they make it hard for them to eat. It's not austyn gillette's fault or some lame kid's that move to new york, it's his own fault for not going out there everyday and progressing.

tre killa

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »
i can see why everyone thinks hes an asshole an shit becuase of him complaining with everything but i mean you have to look at in the sense that he grew up skating in the raw est era of street skating there ever will be. And skating really is going down a shitty path with every one adapting that southern california style. I think he spoke the truth on many levles in this interview if only puleo would right a book and i could give pieces of bobbys literature to every little faggot i see riding a deathwish and skating in krew pants. CHURCH OF BOBBY PULEO!!!! FUCK YEAH. and for the record playing s.k.a.t.e. is bullshit.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
i can see why everyone thinks hes an asshole an shit becuase of him complaining with everything but i mean you have to look at in the sense that he grew up skating in the raw est era of street skating there ever will be. And skating really is going down a shitty path with every one adapting that southern california style. I think he spoke the truth on many levles in this interview if only puleo would right a book and i could give pieces of bobbys literature to every little faggot i see riding a deathwish and skating in krew pants. CHURCH OF BOBBY PULEO!!!! FUCK YEAH. and for the record playing s.k.a.t.e. is bullshit.
Southern california is where skateboarding started. by definition the rawest forms of skating will always happen in southern california. regardless what you idiots think.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »
new york is the biggest(most populated) city in the fucking country. the reasons people go there are endless. skateboarding there is something that no other city can ever come close to and you see a spot on every street, why the fuck would you NOT want to go there (aside from the shitty weather, lingering smell of trash and vomit in the summer, pretentious trust fund kids, and extremely high cost of living)...seriously though, now im not allowed in new york because ill be a "transplant"? ive never had a desire to live there but jesus people like bobby puleo are all over the place up there. everyone wants to talk about how awesome nyc is but then gets mad when people wanna see what all the fuss is about.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »
the reason why 90% of skateboarders go to new york is because of bobby puleo its just a fact.

that's hardly a fact. ? 90%? pffffft! ? getdafuckouttahere with that shit.

"I skate about 3 or 4 days a week. I gotta work now. I basically make no money from skateboarding these days. Isn't that insane?"

Cry me a river.  "Boo-hoo, I have to work a real job because I wasn't aware skateboarding doesn't provide a lifetime income."  You're lucky to even be getting what you get.  Hell, you still get to skate 3-4 days a week.  That's a lot more than a lot of people that have full-time jobs get to roll.  Shit, the guy that RUNS the company has to work a 9-5.  Get off it, man.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:07:18 PM by Dark Knight »

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
the reason why 90% of skateboarders go to new york is because of bobby puleo its just a fact. people saw his skating in static 2 and wanted to be like him . but the thing is it don't work like that your not bobby puleo and never will you be. they all just look like fucking fools trying to imitate something that isn't their own "oh look at me i'm pushing down a crusty ny street i must look cool now" dipshits . if no one went to new york to rip off what he created he still would be a top pro and still be authentic you fucking retards fucked it up

Skateboarders were going to New York way before Bobby Puleo made any video parts. ? Pops and Wenning weren't sleeping on the seaport benches cause they saw some Puleo footage. ? Skaters here would have been skating cellar doors if Bobby had never picked up a board, and I'm sure they did way before he came here. ? Those things are everywhere here and any skater is going to see some potential in them. ? Pushing around the streets amongst the NY traffic is something every skater should experience. ? It keeps showing up in videos cause its really fun for some reason. ? If you can afford to come here for a minute, do it. ? Make sure you try to film something while you are here to remember it by too. ? Just don't act like a stupid asshole, cause dealing with the city full time makes people a little crunchy and impatient and they aren't going to put up with your shit. ? Ipath didn't sell out to Timberland because the brand was doing well, and if you are the face of a brand which was acquired because its struggling, your new boss obviously isn't going to pay you more. ? Bobby isn't a top pro anymore because he didn't market himself well when he needed to, not because any of us fucked it up for him.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
new york is the biggest(most populated) city in the fucking country. the reasons people go there are endless. skateboarding there is something that no other city can ever come close to and you see a spot on every street, why the fuck would you NOT want to go there (aside from the shitty weather, lingering smell of trash and vomit in the summer, pretentious trust fund kids, and extremely high cost of living)...seriously though, now im not allowed in new york because ill be a "transplant"? ive never had a desire to live there but jesus people like bobby puleo are all over the place up there. everyone wants to talk about how awesome nyc is but then gets mad when people wanna see what all the fuss is about.

isn't puleo from jersey?  if so, then technically hes transplant too, though everyone here thinks of him as a local.

the problem with transplants is that they move here from wherever and in whatever short period of time, they start claiming new york.  this isn't just people that come to NYC, but people who move anywhere and claim the city that they're in, its fucking lame. 
its not like i'm going to move to SF and start thinking i'm a SF head or go around telling people i am.   if you're from bumblefucknowheresville, thats where you're from so stop acting like you're from somewhere else.  if/when you live the majority of your life in any one place, then you gain the right to claim it. 

as far as NYC, i know right from the get go when someone is from out of town(you guys are really easy to spot, you ain't fooling nobody).  out of towners give of a certain vibe as do the people who live here.  just like if i moved out to LA, people would instantly know i'm not from there.       

of course this is all my opinion, i can't speak for everyone. 

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »
believe me faster, nothing pisses me off than the mass of fucking hipsters i know that either moved to nyc and claim it hard, or the ones who still live here and wont stop talking about how much "better" new york is. fucking move there and be another hipster kook in williamsburg...then get there and realize you are 2 years behind in your cool little fashion sense and everyone is way over the goofy shit youre still doing.
/rant

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
aw snap, some photoshop action.

haven't seen a thread grow like this since they threw antwuan in the clink.

i agree with what he says about wack graphics, and sadly traffic is not immune. �maybe if i see him on the train again and he's not too zooted i'll offer some schemes.  he deserves to be riding some dope shit.  bitter and disconnected or not.  INFAMOUS!

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
this was online

We are a noble sport more noble than any other

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2011, 01:10:30 PM »
this was online

BWAHAHAHAHAA! shit is golden! true facts too.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

diefuck

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2011, 01:16:02 PM »
if theres one person doper then puleo, with the higher ground to regulate on him - its hickey.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »
Expand Quote

wow nice kickflip over a 6 inch high pipe.

Fuck this guy. He talked shit on way too many awesome skaters in this interview. I've always thought he was an overrated prick and this interview solidified it.
[close]
he was a major part in the building of that spot, so im sure he just wanted a picture on it before a million fools came and took over that shit. cause now that spot is all busted up and there isn't much left. and regardless how small the kickflip is, hes got the nicest style!

A major part of $20 worth of quik-crete under some random bridge? Or is this just a lil nook of a sick DIY skatepark? 'Cause if it's the latter than I can totally respect that.

magicstickyhand

• Rep: 1
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »
Puleo should post some wisdom in young skaters thread here in slap  ;D
i think i was,anyways

steven

• Rep: 7
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
I love Puleo's skating, but haven't ever been able to take him seriously as a "thinker" due to his 411 profile.  That was the first place I ever saw him, and he sounded like such a Jersey mook that I couldn't stand it.  I'd be bitter as fuck if I was him though.  Skateboarding is pulling some super lame shit these days for sure.
Hell yeah...keep skateboarding gay.

Or the jocks win.

people who work in the brains department aren't easily wowed

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
HAHAHAHA maybe if he actually learned some new tricks. This is what I'm trying to tell you guys old pros are becoming obsolete at whatever they do whether it's gay shit, good tech tricks, or big shit. Kids are actually out there progressing, while old pros are sitting around complaining. if he spent half as much time skating as he spent looking for spots, and talking shit on people, he would actually be good at skating. I've said this before, it's not 1989 anymore, kids have youtube. They can see who's good and who's not.You just can't say brow beat people to make people think they're good anymore. These old clowns don't want to progress, so they talk down on progression, in the guise of "keeping real".

I try to tell you guys this all the time, old skaters hate young skaters, because they make it hard for them to eat. It's not austyn gillette's fault or some lame kid's that move to new york, it's his own fault for not going out there everyday and progressing.

you say some out-there shit sometimes, but i couldn't agree with this statement more. tired of a bunch of older dudes talking shit on young guys that are constantly pushing skateboarding forward. yeah, we get it: you did a bunch of great stuff years ago, but if you're not adding anything new to skateboarding, then make room for the next generation. the young kids are killing it right now and i don't really care what Bobby Puleo or Jason Dill thinks is lame about the industry.

(dudes like Ronnie Creager, Daewon Song & Forrest Kirby are still killing it and pushing their skateboarding forward at their age. now that i can respect 110%, not this bitter eastcoast pretentious shittalking.)

igotitforcheap

• Rep: -11
  • smooth as glass
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Its funny because in the second page he talks about how kids are uncreative these days, and how internet videos are ruining everything. Its funny because the picture on that page is of him ollieing a bank to bank gap that I swear I saw Aaron Herrington frontside 180 in a line in some internet clip.
[close]
Thought of this too,

1:17
front 180 has been done on that spot at least 4 times. which just goes to show how he was right about kids from other states comin to the city. o, and to ollie up backside and pop a backside ollie in a way you could land back regular on the second bank without getting tossed into that wall is beyond me.