Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720885 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3570 on: July 02, 2021, 10:55:37 AM »
Expand Quote

I thought it was just me, the tablets made everything but ledge skating and straight ollies feel off

Clunky is the right way to describe the tablets, especially the taller you go.

Anyone know how the OG classics compare to radial slims?
[close]

I went and dug them out and have all of them now sitting on my desk to compare - Tablets, OG Classics, Radial slims and Conical wheels.

Why Conicals?  Well just to compare all of them and I would almost say the normal Conical wheels are the closest to Radial slims for the side profile and overall size, width and riding surface, with OG Classics closer to Tablets in the side profile, even though the OG cut in and Tablets do not.

As for the specs, diameter / width / riding surface as follows:

Radial slim  ....  52  /  30     /  18.5
Conical       ....  52  /  31.5  /  19.5
Tablets        ...  52  /  29    /  20
OG Classics  ..  52  /  31    /  21.5
Classics      ...  52  /  32    /  15.5

EDIT:  I know I often do things that others might think crazy, including taking an angle grinder to wheels to shape them into slightly rounder wheels (usually from old Conical Full wheels) but when I am looking at the Conical wheels, if you took a touch off each side at the widest point they would pretty much be Radial slims, but I probably would not recommend doing this unless you are fairly confident of what you are doing.

Thanks for that, very helpful. Guess I need to find a set of radial slims in 99a somehow as I was looking at the OG classics.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3571 on: July 02, 2021, 02:25:18 PM »

Anyone have some pros and cons to the classic formula vs the f4s? Meaning, is there any pros to the classic formula?

Most people prefer the F4 over the original formula, but there are still lots of people who prefer the original for whatever reason, the least of all being the "white colour" of original compared to the "natural colour" of the F4 nowdays, which is quite dark compared to a brand new set of the originals, as per an interview with Brian Anderson (9 club?).

I guess some of those guys who get however many wheels a month don't need to worry so much about flatspots or how long a set of wheels last, but I know I still have a lot of old originals and although they feel different to F4, I still know exactly what they feel like and could ride them easily enough if there were no more F4 wheels, which is also the appeal to many pro riders - they know what they feel like as they have been riding them for so long and don't want to change.

That said, the F4 is far superior in every way and I have no issues with the colour, certainly they last longer, have fewer issues with flatspots (any wheel will flatspot if you push them hard enough) and actually retain their colour more so than the older originals too, which turn very dark yellowy brown after some time.

Originals when brand new were way more susceptible to flatspots and wear issues (they wear down way faster than older weathered originals) which is why I really like skating the older sets I have, but if there was one wheel you had to stick with forever more, the F4 99 duro would be it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3572 on: July 03, 2021, 08:24:36 AM »
In my opinion, there’s nothing special about pre-F4 Spitfire wheels. You might as well just get Mini Logo at that point, they’re fairly standard polyurethane. F4 absolutely cranks it up and it becomes the best all around wheel you can buy.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3573 on: July 03, 2021, 07:02:48 PM »
Just doing a bit of digging, as I wanted to find the Spitfire shape guide from 2013 when they first came out.

Pretty minimal, only four shapes, but kinda cool at the same time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3574 on: July 03, 2021, 07:26:02 PM »
Then for a while they had these options, not sure exactly when but maybe more like 2015-2016

Measurements are out for the Classic Full shape - they were wider than listed.

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3575 on: July 03, 2021, 10:29:14 PM »
I came here to say that, I, too, have never bought wheels for a graphic but those Fabiana Spits with the Led Zepp graphic are my shape/size and I’m a Zeppelin fan.

I’d skate them graphics out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3576 on: July 04, 2021, 11:09:49 PM »
I had forgotten they launched with a tablet, then discontinued it.

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3577 on: July 10, 2021, 02:26:44 PM »
Has anyone seen Radials in 99A and 52mm being available anywhere?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3578 on: July 11, 2021, 01:33:08 AM »

https://www.vamos-skateshop.com/p/spitfire-f4-embers-52mm-radial-black-99a

These were the only one I could find. I understand if you don't feel like black wheels.
IG: @flowterspace

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3579 on: July 11, 2021, 01:51:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These were the only one I could find. I understand if you don't feel like black wheels.

Thanks, frankly I just look past colored wheels. I have considered the 54mm pink ones to switch things up but I’d probably regret it.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3580 on: July 11, 2021, 02:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, frankly I just look past colored wheels. I have considered the 54mm pink ones to switch things up but I’d probably regret it.

I think the pink ones look rad, but I am not sure I would enjoy them ^^
By the way, check your DMs

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
« Reply #3581 on: July 17, 2021, 11:41:50 PM »
Anyone skated the 97d? How are they?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #3582 on: July 18, 2021, 10:23:18 AM »

I tried a set of 97a/53mm Classics. They felt slow, and waxy. Didn't slide as well. A tad bit smoother on crust, but at least to me, that did not offset the other drawbacks enough to run them on the regular.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3583 on: July 18, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »

If you mean the F4 97a wheels, I can’t praise them enough. IMO a perfect wheel for anyone skating crusty spots and streets, basically for people not skating new skateparks and glass-smooth Southern California/Arizona concrete. I tried to go back the exact same wheel in 101a and it rattled my teeth loose.

They are indeed slightly slower and they skid differently than harder wheels, but not better or worse. They are also more porous and gold humidity better, so if you leave them in a hot car, they’ll feel like shit for a minute until they dry out. Still though, I find this all worth it for a wheel that can much more easily roll over PNW crust.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3584 on: July 18, 2021, 01:13:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tried a set of 97a/53mm Classics. They felt slow, and waxy. Didn't slide as well. A tad bit smoother on crust, but at least to me, that did not offset the other drawbacks enough to run them on the regular.

I’ll buy them off you or trade you for some 52mm conical full 101a wheels.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
« Reply #3585 on: July 18, 2021, 01:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

If you mean the F4 97a wheels, I can’t praise them enough. IMO a perfect wheel for anyone skating crusty spots and streets, basically for people not skating new skateparks and glass-smooth Southern California/Arizona concrete. I tried to go back the exact same wheel in 101a and it rattled my teeth loose.

They are indeed slightly slower and they skid differently than harder wheels, but not better or worse. They are also more porous and gold humidity better, so if you leave them in a hot car, they’ll feel like shit for a minute until they dry out. Still though, I find this all worth it for a wheel that can much more easily roll over PNW crust.

Yes, I meant the 97a. Thanks for the reviews.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3586 on: July 19, 2021, 09:38:18 AM »
search 97a there is a ton of feedback. very good feedback

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3587 on: July 24, 2021, 03:37:17 PM »
current on preowned 58mm (now54-53) radial fulls. really love how these slide. but now they’re too small for my liking. would 58mm og classics be a good alternative?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3588 on: July 25, 2021, 12:24:20 AM »
current on preowned 58mm (now54-53) radial fulls. really love how these slide. but now they’re too small for my liking. would 58mm og classics be a good alternative?

The Radials below are widely available at the moment (56mm). OG Classics are more like Conicals, actually with an even wider riding surface and slightly sharper edges. If you like the rounded edges of Radials, 60mm Classics might be a better alternative, the riding surface will get closer to Radials over time.

superleftswipebby

« Reply #3589 on: July 27, 2021, 07:13:39 AM »
thanks for the looks dawg. they’re outta stock in canada. hoping they restock soon!

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3590 on: July 28, 2021, 06:28:19 AM »
Was curious and tried a set of 97A Classics (53mm). Skating flat on rough asphalt they were definitely smoothing things out a bit compared to 99A, however at the same time they felt squishy/bouncy and really slow. Powering through slides worked to some extend, but I'd also get stuck a lot. I also realized that I actually like a more direct feel and sound, riding through cracks and different patches of asphalt felt off.

I think this duro is more for wide and large wheels that are generally very stable and fast. It was pretty hot so maybe worth keeping them for the winter, but I'll stick to 99A which I absolutely love. Good news is the Classic shape really helped with the flip tricks I am currently working on, so I guess I am going back to the roots after years of riding mostly wide, conical shapes with sharper edges.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #3591 on: August 12, 2021, 07:16:55 AM »
I’ve seen 97a classic fulls listed on SoCal. Anybody know if they exist or is it a misprint?

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #3592 on: August 14, 2021, 06:27:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bummer there aren't Radial Slims in the catalog, those are my favorite shape. They make Classics feel chunky by comparison.
[close]

Same. After riding tablets (which I've determined I don't like at all for curbs), I switched back to radial slims. Easily the most underrated wheel in the line-up; I hope it being MIA from the catalog doesn't mean it's going away/replaced by the Tablets.
[close]

Facts. Radial slims >>>>>>> tablets by a landslide

This! I’ve skated classics for forever! I’ve had some other wheels but shaped same as the classics. I got some 51mm tablets and it was an amazing change! Then I got some 52mm radial slime and it changed my life!! Hahaha I hope they aren’t doing away with them. I picked up another set just in case. I’d like to get the 54s or
56s. Does anything feel better than them?  I know it’s all personal preference but damn, I’m never buying classics again.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #3593 on: August 14, 2021, 06:38:31 PM »
Noticed the Classic Full shape has returned-

Still no Radial Slims.

superleftswipebby

« Reply #3594 on: August 14, 2021, 08:32:29 PM »

Still no Radial Slims.

still no big sizes either. for months there’s been a ton of comments requesting for 58s and 60s.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3595 on: August 15, 2021, 12:19:52 AM »

Nice, if these hit Europe I’ll get a set. Been enjoying 52mm Classics recently and starting out with a wider surface seems beneficial.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3596 on: August 15, 2021, 09:00:06 AM »

Still no Radial Slims.

Woah they are back. I would love to try the 54's.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3597 on: August 15, 2021, 10:40:51 AM »
I've got some originally 55mm F4 Conical Full 99duro. I've had them on my set up since October, so around 10 months at this point. I'm kind of amazed. The wheels are still solid almost a year later and I've been regularly skating. Sure, they're like a slightly squarer 51-52 (I'm guessing. Haven't measured) at this point so I do feel like I'm going slower or need to push slightly more for speed on some terrain.

It reminded me how long wheels can actually last. I was going through wheels much faster over a year ago because I was finding my niche between Bones STF and eventually trying F4s. I'll take a photo of my wheels and add it in here for reference later.

In summary, I may stick with F4 from here on out (I already bought 2-3 spare pairs earlier this year so methinks I like them haha)
Super Champion Fun Zone

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3598 on: August 15, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »
I don’t get why Spitfire makes some sizes other colors no one wants black wheels just to get 53’s

pops

• Rep: 255
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3599 on: August 15, 2021, 11:08:10 AM »
Are classic fulls pretty much same as radials? They have very similar sizing but classics have narrower riding surface.