Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689591 times)

big_kev_215 (+ 3 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

drinny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3510 on: June 23, 2021, 07:27:00 AM »
Really wanna try these 97a Conicals... waiting for stock to hit UK again, see how they roll vs. Keyframes (which I love but can stick on ledges/board slides if you’re not a bit careful)

I am *loving* the 97’s. Been to most rough spots where I’d have only used my crust board (Keyframes) before (and 99s were only negligibly better than 101 still basically a stop dead and die job.... )and they have rolled through it all... bit of a risk but but very pleasantly surprised!!

I might still yet find a spot that I need proper soft softies on but so far I only sentimentally miss those OJs  :'(

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3511 on: June 23, 2021, 08:03:54 AM »
Im looking to size down for my next set, found the radial slims but unfortunately they were 101a. I like how the 99s are still manageable on asphalt and think id like to stay with that. Anyone went from 99s to 101 and stayed?

I wrote down the dimensions of the wheels the shop have and they're pretty similar. Anyone know if ones is lighter than the other?

radial slims 52mm   W29.5 18

conical 52mm W31.5 19.5

OG classic 52mm W31 21.5

In terms of weight, the lightest will be the radial slim between those choices. I rode 51mm F4 radial slims 101a for a while and they slid nice and lightened my setup, but skinny wheels made my skateboard feel like a toy or like it was waterlogged. I ended up switching to 54mm F4 Classics 97a for a more well rounded setup.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3512 on: June 23, 2021, 11:31:23 PM »
Here’s a high res scan of the latest leaflet including OG Classics and illustrations showing the cut outs / inner shape:

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3513 on: June 24, 2021, 12:46:31 AM »
Here’s a high res scan of the latest leaflet including OG Classics and illustrations showing the cut outs / inner shape:

Sure is HI res!!!

That is good though, as I would often struggle to see the small details on the card in person (so took pics of it to zoom in on) and although others have posted the card before, to have a super hi res version is definitely good to see very easily.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3514 on: June 24, 2021, 12:51:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure is HI res!!!

That is good though, as I would often struggle to see the small details on the card in person (so took pics of it to zoom in on) and although others have posted the card before, to have a super hi res version is definitely good to see very easily.

Haha, yeah I found it a bit hard to see things on the existing photos. Also this has different illustrations than the ones I have seen posted here.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3515 on: June 24, 2021, 06:08:26 AM »
i feel like i will never truly understand the difference between OG classics and conicals but that's okay.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3516 on: June 24, 2021, 06:52:49 AM »
Same here, og classics sporting the classic swirl graphic which is way cooler if u ask me. I tvink it was @mbrimson that explained that the only diffrence is the sidewalls of the wheels

Bold

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3517 on: June 24, 2021, 07:18:03 AM »
Same here, og classics sporting the classic swirl graphic which is way cooler if u ask me. I tvink it was @mbrimson that explained that the only diffrence is the sidewalls of the wheels

I'd have to hold one of each and even then I'm not sure I could tell them apart.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3518 on: June 24, 2021, 09:39:42 AM »
i feel like i will never truly understand the difference between OG classics and conicals but that's okay.

Classics are like that hot curvy chick that’s also cool as fuck and is down for anything.

Conicals are like that squared hip big girl thats always down to eat Korean bbq for 2 hours+ and is an aggressive power bottom.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3519 on: June 24, 2021, 09:58:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Classics are like that hot curvy chick that’s also cool as fuck and is down for anything.

Conicals are like that squared hip big girl thats always down to eat Korean bbq for 2 hours+ and is an aggressive power bottom.

Gnarred

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3520 on: June 24, 2021, 10:22:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you have my nomination to do the rest of the shapes

what type of woman is a conical full?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3521 on: June 24, 2021, 10:37:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
you have my nomination to do the rest of the shapes

what type of woman is a conical full?

I want all the shapes, including Chargers and Big Heads
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #3522 on: June 24, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »

I don’t understand either.  Based on a few months of research I feel like the OG classics are basically a wider, side-cut tablet with a pretty squared off edge. The conical fulls are essentially the same width but slightly more rounded on the edges and a little less side-cut so slightly heavier feeling.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #3523 on: June 24, 2021, 01:17:46 PM »
Spitfire lists a 55mm tablet on that chart, but can anyone confirm that they actually exist? Google search will turn up results with retailers that have them listed but always out of stock.  I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy.

Get hungry on it!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3524 on: June 24, 2021, 01:20:17 PM »
Spitfire lists a 55mm tablet on that chart, but can anyone confirm that they actually exist? Google search will turn up results with retailers that have them listed but always out of stock.  I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy.

I have seen Cardiel 55mm Tablets IRL. I also think someone here posted them (the Cards 55s) on a board in either the setup or 9"+ thread.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3525 on: June 24, 2021, 01:31:07 PM »

The chart has plenty of wheels that are no longer offered (or possibly never made) and it is also missing specs for wheels that they did make (51mm radials, 50mm tablets and other lil smokies).

Even their spring catalog on their website has wheels listed that I doubt they've made in the past year.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #3526 on: June 24, 2021, 01:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have seen Cardiel 55mm Tablets IRL. I also think someone here posted them (the Cards 55s) on a board in either the setup or 9"+ thread.
Oh yeah I forgot about his pro model tablets.  I think the graphics throw me off, when I think tablets I'm always just thinking of the blue or red band.  Don't mind me, conspiracy short-lived.

Get hungry on it!

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3527 on: June 24, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The chart has plenty of wheels that are no longer offered (or possibly never made) and it is also missing specs for wheels that they did make (51mm radials, 50mm tablets and other lil smokies).

Even their spring catalog on their website has wheels listed that I doubt they've made in the past year.
Pretty sure the catalog is supposed to be what's being offered this season, not a bunch of random numbers. That's why the small wheels you mentioned aren't included.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3528 on: June 24, 2021, 03:45:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Pretty sure the catalog is supposed to be what's being offered this season, not a bunch of random numbers. That's why the small wheels you mentioned aren't included.

Sorry that I didn't make my post clear, they were supposed to be 2 different points. The chart that's included with purchased wheels don't have specs for all the wheels they make. The catalog on their website has wheels listed that they don't sell.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #3529 on: June 24, 2021, 04:07:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Really wanna try these 97a Conicals... waiting for stock to hit UK again, see how they roll vs. Keyframes (which I love but can stick on ledges/board slides if you’re not a bit careful)
[close]

I am *loving* the 97’s. Been to most rough spots where I’d have only used my crust board (Keyframes) before (and 99s were only negligibly better than 101 still basically a stop dead and die job.... )and they have rolled through it all... bit of a risk but but very pleasantly surprised!!

I might still yet find a spot that I need proper soft softies on but so far I only sentimentally miss those OJs  :'(

I just got a pair of these and honestly I don't see going back to another wheel, except maybe if I had a dedicated pool/"park" board. If you live anywhere with seasons, where the cement is rough and requires huge aggregate rock not to break apart every year, or somewhere where the freeze/thaw cycle chips your asphalt to pieces, you should be skating these wheels.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #3530 on: June 24, 2021, 07:50:50 PM »
I had them on 99, classic F4 white
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

ldmch11

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3531 on: June 24, 2021, 09:43:59 PM »
got some 55 mm tablets 99 at uprise last year. saw a set at my local a few months back as well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3532 on: June 24, 2021, 10:22:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t understand either.  Based on a few months of research I feel like the OG classics are basically a wider, side-cut tablet with a pretty squared off edge. The conical fulls are essentially the same width but slightly more rounded on the edges and a little less side-cut so slightly heavier feeling.

It is definitely a lot easier when you see them in person, but there is so little in it as well between almost half a dozen of the shapes nowdays, only a mm here or there, a slightly wider surface, or profile and a slightly squarer or rounder edge that either cuts away or stays out a bit more.

Even as the wheels wear down, the profile and riding surface change considerably between say 54mm when new to worn 52mm or less.

At least the x ray looking / black with white lines spec sheet (with the inside line of the wheel clearly defined) gives a bit more info and if you are only looking at it on a phone instead of a decent size computer screen it will be a whole lot harder to work out the differences.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Sorry that I didn't make my post clear, they were supposed to be 2 different points. The chart that's included with purchased wheels don't have specs for all the wheels they make. The catalog on their website has wheels listed that they don't sell.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/2020-delivery-4/

I think I have seen pics from other shops or had almost every wheel in the past catalogs, but increasingly some wheels only go to a handful of stores (and I follow way too many shops on instagram) so if you are not there when that drop lands in those stores, you would most likely never see those wheels, especially seeing as there are only minimal quantities of some of them, even more so if they are prebooked - ordered in advance sometimes a few months before they even come out.

Apart from the F4 OG Classics in limited runs of 58 and 60 or the very limited run of 97 Conical Full, I don't think there have been any other wheels come out in anything bigger than 56mm, certainly no Classics, OG Classics or Bigheads in the original formula since the pandemic and production closures.

There are more F4 Classic Full wheels coming as well, but only in 52, 53 and 54mm (same as Bighead shape) for anyone who likes a slightly wider rounder wheel.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:33:48 PM by Mbrimson88 »

con_hielo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #3533 on: June 25, 2021, 01:01:49 PM »
Alright, impulse-bought a set of F4 56mm Conical Fulls. Been extremely happy with my switch to F4 54mm Tablets from Bones SPF as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. However, I have this hunch that I’ll like super wide F4s even more. It’s been ages since I used a wheel larger than 54mm so that will be interesting, too.

EDIT

First session with these new wheels was interesting. As with my Tablets before, I am impressed with how good 99A F4s feel right from the start. They grip and slide in a controlled way even before they get a bit of a texture.

Even though my setup felt quite different with the 56mm Conical Fulls at first (Tablets were down to barely 52mm), I didn't have much trouble getting a good pop out of it. The increased angle might even work in my favor.

Speed and control with these large, wide wheels are insane. Like riding on a rail track, but with the ability to break out and adjust when needed. If that makes sense. The difference on rough ground is astonishing.

Feels like my setup (Gonz 9.81, 169 Indys) has really come together with these wheels, however I am not sure if I can really get myself to flip it. The weight and size has gotten to a point where it's just really painful to miss a flick and hit your ankles.

Flipping is overrated xD

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3534 on: June 30, 2021, 10:29:40 AM »
The summer drop of Spitfire wheels are on the website. There aren't any 97du on there?!  :'(

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

EDIT: Nevermind, the 97du are on there.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 01:19:48 PM by PrettyRicki »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3535 on: June 30, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »
The summer drop of Spitfire wheels are on the website. There aren't any 97du on there?!  :'(

Whaaaaa?

What the fuck

I love mine. Only ever see everyone else say the same.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3536 on: June 30, 2021, 12:46:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Whaaaaa?

What the fuck

I love mine too. They're the only wheels that I found that work well on the super slick skatepark concrete. Luckily I have the 3 sets that I need, but I was hoping they'd expand the 97du to other shapes/sizes.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3537 on: June 30, 2021, 12:51:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Whaaaaa?

What the fuck

Yes there are...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3538 on: June 30, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
Looks like production could have been coming back to almost normal (before urethane shortages cause production issues again, that is).

Interested to see how many of these Radials in 54 or 56mm make it to places too, seeing as some people really liked them or wanted more.

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #3539 on: June 30, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »
I'm just here to say I fucking love the 97A F4's
Specifically the 58mm.