Author Topic: Fallout series  (Read 3708 times)

SirPizzaSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
Fallout series
« on: July 06, 2019, 07:22:40 PM »
Just got a gaming pc to play fallout 1, I love this game.

Garth Marenghi

Re: Fallout series
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 02:18:11 AM »
Still return to Fallout 2 occasionally. Tried to finish Arcanum a while ago but the world/story doesn't reel you in the same way as a post-apocalyptic setting. Would like to finish Planescape: Torment some day, too.

Looking forward to this, especially since Bethesda shat the bed a long time ago:

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:13:29 PM »
Still return to Fallout 2 occasionally. Tried to finish Arcanum a while ago but the world/story doesn't reel you in the same way as a post-apocalyptic setting. Would like to finish Planescape: Torment some day, too.

Looking forward to this, especially since Bethesda shat the bed a long time ago:

im definitely gonna get fallout 2 next gonna buy a mini nes so I can play a bunch of games from my child hood.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »
Only played Fallout 3 which I enjoyed.
Heard New Vegas was trash so I didn't touch it.
Haven't heard anything good about Fallout 4 either..

Should I revisit one of the earlier ones?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 08:21:40 PM »

They're very different from Fallout 3, New Vegas, and beyond, as they're isometric RPGs. Fallout 2 has one of the worst starts for a game. But if you can deal with that, you'll be in for a treat. I've played the shit out of Fallout 2, it's one of my favorite games ever. Get the first game for cheap, and give it a try and see if you like it.

I loved New Vegas because of the setting, and the connections with the earlier games in the series. If you liked Fallout 3, I can't think of a reason for you not to play it. It's pretty much the same game, only better linked, in a more fun and colorful setting. Play it, I guarantee you'll like it.

Recently, I was looking at Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel footage. It's one weird and underwhelming game. Has anyone played it?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1147
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »

Fallout 1 and 2 are some of my all-time favorites.

They’re a bit clunky compared to modern games and the combat probably won’t set your world on fire, but they more than make up for that with everything else. 

The whole alternate world they made is fascinating and packed with cool, creative, interesting shit.  The new ones are basically Fallout Lite: it’s like they took a bunch of Fallout-type shit from the first two games and then made some games that are nothing like them. 

I don’t hate the new ones or anything, they just aren’t Fallout to me.

I’d be curious to know what people who have only played the Bethesda Fallout games think about the first two. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 08:44:17 PM »
I loved New Vegas because of the setting, and the connections with the earlier games in the series. If you liked Fallout 3, I can't think of a reason for you not to play it. It's pretty much the same game, only better linked, in a more fun and colorful setting. Play it, I guarantee you'll like it.

Recently, I was looking at Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel footage. It's one weird and underwhelming game. Has anyone played it?
Didn’t the original Fallout people work on New Vegas?  I don’t think it’s coincidence that that one is my favorite out of the new ones.

I’ve heard that Brotherhood of Steel is a complete dumpster fire, haha.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
First fallout game I played was fallout 3, then played 4 then new Vegas then 1 and next 2. Heard fallout tactics was garbage. New Vegas always made me smile because what I did in the game made me feel like I had real weight in the game.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »
New Vegas is the most recommendable of the "new" Fallout games. They (some of the people behind the original Fallouts) had less time to develop it, yet delivered a lot more decent story and world than in Fallout 3. Fallout 4 turned into Minecraft with the introduction of a settlement building shtick. Still, enjoyed getting lost on the way to the main objective the first playthrough. New Vegas got the most replays out of the three.

Tale of two wastelands mod combines Fallout 3 and New Vegas into one playable game. Bug fixes etc included. Never got New Vegas to work with enbs in windows 10, though. But that's not a problem if you're not adamant about completely overhauling the graphics.

https://taleoftwowastelands.com/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:11:45 PM by Garth Marenghi »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 12:19:21 AM »
Fallout 2 is the bomb (first one wasn't that bad either). Does anyone remember a spin off after fallout 2 that was like a little tactics game? May have even been called fallout tactics, I stopped playing after that because life got to busy to be investing serious time into PC games...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »
Just got Fallout 4 on steam for $8 on sale.

Really only looking forward to exploring Boston

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 10:47:51 PM »

Um, excuse me sir, but Fallout New Vegas is one of the best video games on planet Earth.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 10:52:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fallout 1 and 2 are some of my all-time favorites.

They’re a bit clunky compared to modern games and the combat probably won’t set your world on fire, but they more than make up for that with everything else. 

The whole alternate world they made is fascinating and packed with cool, creative, interesting shit.  The new ones are basically Fallout Lite: it’s like they took a bunch of Fallout-type shit from the first two games and then made some games that are nothing like them. 

I don’t hate the new ones or anything, they just aren’t Fallout to me.

I’d be curious to know what people who have only played the Bethesda Fallout games think about the first two.
I could see how someone who started with the first Fallout games could see even 3 and on as not Fallout, because I think there is so much more time and effort put into playing 1 & 2.  I started on Fallout 3, so going back to the OG pc series was kind've boring in a way, because i was so used to seeing the graphics and playing style of the console versions. The console and og Fallouts are definitely different games.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 08:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have played 3, New Vegas, and 4 for sure over 200 hours a piece.
I refused to even look at Fallout 76 because of the blatent disrespect paid to their biggest asset, the characters and stories.

I got fallout 2 installed on my computer and could barely get out of the cave you start in. Totally different animal. It reminded me of a more complicated and less forgiving Diablo.

I found my precious spray and pray FPS turn into a strategy based survival game that takes water and supplies just to move a little bit and fucking cockroaches whooped my monkey ass before I could even get out of the cave. Rage quit after like a day.

I was really impressed by the story lines and have since watched more successful players on youtube.

I am of the opinion that Vault Tech made the world end. 

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 09:46:18 PM »
I could see how someone who started with the first Fallout games could see even 3 and on as not Fallout, because I think there is so much more time and effort put into playing 1 & 2.  I started on Fallout 3, so going back to the OG pc series was kind've boring in a way, because i was so used to seeing the graphics and playing style of the console versions. The console and og Fallouts are definitely different games.

Yeah, the old ones are from a somewhat-bygone era of those slower-paced computer rpg’s where you were reading shit 90% of the time.  I usually hate reading anything in a game, but for some reason the Fallout games were always interesting to me.

And of course, at the time there was no fallout 3 or New Vegas to compare them to.  If there was, I’d have probably said fuck the first two and just played the cool-looking shooty ones.

I have played 3, New Vegas, and 4 for sure over 200 hours a piece.
I refused to even look at Fallout 76 because of the blatent disrespect paid to their biggest asset, the characters and stories.

I got fallout 2 installed on my computer and could barely get out of the cave you start in. Totally different animal. It reminded me of a more complicated and less forgiving Diablo.

I found my precious spray and pray FPS turn into a strategy based survival game that takes water and supplies just to move a little bit and fucking cockroaches whooped my monkey ass before I could even get out of the cave. Rage quit after like a day.

I was really impressed by the story lines and have since watched more successful players on youtube.

I am of the opinion that Vault Tech made the world end. 

I agree, there’s really no defending that beginning part of fallout 2.  It’s beyond tedious.  I guess when I was a kid I didn’t have anything better to do so I just slogged through it.  Glad I did though.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 12:22:40 PM »
Fallout series I played the 1st,2nd, 3rd, 4th I refuse to play the 76 as it is gabage and I hated it as a demo.

Skyrim, Kingdom Come Deliverance are the fantasy equivalent also I really liked The Witcher

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 09:34:03 PM »
Fallout series I played the 1st,2nd, 3rd, 4th I refuse to play the 76 as it is gabage and I hated it as a demo.

Skyrim, Kingdom Come Deliverance are the fantasy equivalent also I really liked The Witcher
who are you really?
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 05:30:35 PM »
Guise will this run fallout 1 and minecraft? Or am I stuck until I can upgrade?

Intel i9 5.2ghz unlocked
Titan rtx ×2 SLi
64 GB ram
2 tb ssd
1000watts

Needs more ram for rendering the C u B e Z no? Like 128 gb if ram or even 320 gb

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 09:24:18 AM »
i think i beat FO4 4 times

4 > NV > 3 all sick

o ya

im da G

mArLeY

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 11:40:17 PM »
I might get back into Fallout 4 if the upcoming Miami dlc is good.

https://www.falloutmiami.com/

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »
76 is getting better every series of updates. There will be a new update soon featuring an expansion of the map and numerous new monsters etc. Super excited for it to come out.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 11:08:15 AM »
me

mArLeY

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 02:18:04 AM »
who all killed mr. house? everyone I asked IRL said they killed him at least once, I have the game but never played (too lazy) but it looks really good

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
Anyone try out that Outer Worlds game yet?  I’ve played it for and hour or two and can say that fans of the first two Fallouts or New Vegas will probably really like it.  It feels like much more of a true Fallout game than Fallout 4 did.  It’s more or less “Fallout in Space”.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2019, 11:22:37 PM »
iKobrakai also bought it. I'm broke and have at least 4 unplayed games to finish before getting into it.

Heard it's less open world exploration and more linear advancing of the main questline. I'm fine with that.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »
Anyone try out that Outer Worlds game yet?  I’ve played it for and hour or two and can say that fans of the first two Fallouts or New Vegas will probably really like it.  It feels like much more of a true Fallout game than Fallout 4 did.  It’s more or less “Fallout in Space”.

i went to download it last night...... and my PC shit the bed about 5 seconds after turning on.  took it to micro center praying it was a power supply issue; turned out my motherboard died and since my CPU and RAM are considered 4 generations old and unsupportable i ended up having to drop some dough on new parts.  on the plus side A) i wont get a bottleneck form my GPU anymore and B) to my surprise the the CPU comes with a free download code for TOW.

hopefully when i rebuild tonight ill be able to contribute with a solid review.

for any curious about what specs i plan to play on ulta with:

AMD AMD RYZEN 5 3600X WRAITHS
ASUS ROG STRIX B450F GAMNG ATX
and IPSG 32GB 2X16 D4 3200 RIPJAWS
my GPU is a MSI GTX 1080

cant remember what im using for HD's right now.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 02:07:42 AM »
Caved in and bought the game. Had to turn off chromatic aberration, depth of field and mouse smoothing so my eyes wouldn't hurt. Edgewater sorted and the ship is ready for takeoff. Loving it so far.

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
Not sure how to feel about outer worlds, felt sort of dry so far but does it get better after you get your ship ready for takeoff? Only about an hour in so I think I'll give it some time.