Author Topic: Ave and Dill quit Alien?  (Read 215173 times)

Morty Seinfeld

Re: Ave and Dill quit Alien?
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »
Watch Dill's Mosaic part and then tell me again that he's mediocre. That's one of the greatest displays of skateboarding I've ever seen.

kamltoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
I find the "I'm in my 30's I back Jason Dill" argument really annoying. I do like Dill's skating and I realize his eccentricity came after his skating was spoken for, but he's not elite in my book. He isn't a Mike Carroll, Rickk, Gino, Koston, Reynolds etc. He didn't pave the way for shit, he piled out and got into a lifestyle that doesn't involve skating, which is far from out of the ordinary in the industry. I would like to reiterate that I do enjoy watching Dill skate, but don't argue that because you're in your 30's that you suddenly get a pass to back a skater that doesn't deserve to be held in as high of regard as so many others in the industry.

you know nothing jack snow.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

zoltan

« Reply #362 on: May 08, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
Watch Dill's Mosaic part and then tell me again that he's mediocre. That's one of the greatest displays of skateboarding I've ever seen.

he just had cool style just skated around made it look fun.

AVE > DILL

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #363 on: May 08, 2013, 12:39:40 PM »
Expand Quote
I find the "I'm in my 30's I back Jason Dill" argument really annoying. I do like Dill's skating and I realize his eccentricity came after his skating was spoken for, but he's not elite in my book. He isn't a Mike Carroll, Rickk, Gino, Koston, Reynolds etc. He didn't pave the way for shit, he piled out and got into a lifestyle that doesn't involve skating, which is far from out of the ordinary in the industry. I would like to reiterate that I do enjoy watching Dill skate, but don't argue that because you're in your 30's that you suddenly get a pass to back a skater that doesn't deserve to be held in as high of regard as so many others in the industry.
[close]

you know nothing jack snow.

k
Maybe so but if you can provide any insight as to why out of that era he deserves equal respect as other pros then I might pay a bit more attention.
MN -> IL

Will Easley

« Reply #364 on: May 08, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »
Soooo....When is somebody gonna post a Dill part that's as good Jake Johnson's in Mindfield?

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #365 on: May 08, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »
Soooo....When is somebody gonna post a Dill part that's as good Jake Johnson's in Mindfield?

Obviously this isn't as good as Jakes part.

It's better.

dillanharp

« Reply #366 on: May 08, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if it was posted yet but his part in Snuff was so good. That Brenton Wood.. all the weird switch stuff he was doing, ollieing out of the frontside bluntslide down the brick hubba..

I sort of get if the young guys just see his weird character stuff now but I remember him from this shit and he got weird in like '01 and that was just an add on. He was always sick, and still is.

Fuck it I'm 33 though.

[close]

Fully agree. Luv that part. Most skaters in there 30's appreciate Dill.
I'm in my 30's and I can appreciate up to and including Photosynthesis Dill. After that, no.

marbrosmoke

• Rep: -8
« Reply #367 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:03 PM »
Wait till you're in your 30's and have a skater you like that kids don't understand yet.

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #368 on: May 08, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »
Dude just loves to hear himself talk. I fucking hate people like that.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #369 on: May 08, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »

Anyone own/skate a pair of these when they were around? He kills it in the Mosaic part rockin' these, but they never seemed like much of a "skate shoe".

Expand Quote
[close]
Wait till you're in your 30's and have a skater you like that kids don't understand yet.

Youngins' these days are really psyched on Da-veed from the UWTB I hear around the park...

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #370 on: May 08, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=69904.msg1908286#msg1908286 date=1368045636
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone own/skate a pair of these when they were around? He kills it in the Mosaic part rockin' these, but they never seemed like much of a "skate shoe".

Yeah buy mine
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=69987.0
At the end of his skate talk episode he said they were favorite shoe he had put out, and i think he mentioned they were a 'Prada bite'

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
i had some grey or white ones. i don't remember. they weren't bad. didn't stand out, though. i liked the 2000 era dvs's. the sheffey's were my shit.

i always kind of wanted his vita's. they were a straight bite of either a timberland or north face shoe.

kools

• Rep: -45
« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »
Dude just loves to hear himself talk. I fucking hate people like that.

kettle black?

era

« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=69904.msg1908286#msg1908286 date=1368045636
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah buy mine
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=69987.0
At the end of his skate talk episode he said they were favorite shoe he had put out, and i think he mentioned they were a 'Prada bite'

????

MJION

• Rep: 2
« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if it was posted yet but his part in Snuff was so good. That Brenton Wood.. all the weird switch stuff he was doing, ollieing out of the frontside bluntslide down the brick hubba..

I sort of get if the young guys just see his weird character stuff now but I remember him from this shit and he got weird in like '01 and that was just an add on. He was always sick, and still is.

Fuck it I'm 33 though.

[close]

Fully agree. Luv that part. Most skaters in there 30's appreciate Dill.

32 here, Dill is the man just like y'all said.  Style for days and I can appreciate his artistic endeavors.

You have to remember there is a lot the youngins don't understand about skateboarding and how this new school shit came to be.
Dill helped make that happen.

mini greek

• Rep: 32
« Reply #375 on: May 08, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
Saying that Dill is mediocre based on footage he's putting out today is a bit misleading.  In his prime, Dill was one of the innovative and eccentric skaters both on and off his board.  He was doing his own thing when everyone else in the industry was trying to conform.  If you didn't experience Dill in his prime, I could see how some people could say he's mediocre, but it just aint the truth.  It's like someone who didn't grow up with Gonz saying he sucks because all they see is what he's doing currently.  I'm not saying Dill is at Gonz level, I'm simply illustrating the point that someone who is currently 25 or under, may not fully appreciate the skill that Dill has on his skateboard...
Get litty.....

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #376 on: May 08, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
Dill is the Madonna of skateboarding. If you don't like his style now, wait like a year and he'll be out rocking some new flashy or less flashy style.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #377 on: May 08, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »
Why hasnt anyone tried interviewing him yet? Wheres nieratko or jenkem or expn or skatetalkbob or weekend buzz at?

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

Joel Wilson

• Rep: -15
« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »
Why hasnt anyone tried interviewing him yet? Wheres nieratko or jenkem or expn or skatetalkbob or weekend buzz at?

I imagine they've tried but interviews are overrated...

• Rep: 12
« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
I imagine they've tried but interviews are overrated...

I dont get it?

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »
Nollie backside 180 over the big bar at 3rd and army...not mediocre

wheee!

joebudden

• Rep: -51
« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

its not gonna happen again.....true story...BARBEE is the the only pro who kept up with the actual progression of skateboarding for the longest time....HE IS GOAT and better than GONZ.....not sorry.......(but gonz is the ARCHETYPE) dilll, kalis, stevie, carroll, jovontae, henry sanchez, koston, reynolds, guy, mj, chico, kenny a, templeton, lavar...etc....its over...them dudes laid these bricks....no one can EVER do that again.....they CREATED what we do out blunt and crack smoke

• Rep: 12
« Reply #383 on: May 08, 2013, 11:52:04 PM »
chico created the nollie heel to toe drag

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #384 on: May 09, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »

Never skated them, but I worked at a shop back when those came out. Stiff as fucking boards out the box, but the couple of kids who bought them said they skated okay. That was back in his Fashion days...pretty much the same as Dylan Rieder's shoe, just a different era, and didn't skate as well.

And really, I think that comparison is a good explanation for why Dill is so enamored with Dylan: the latter is basically the same as the former, just better. If you read older interviews with Dill, he talks about identity politics and changing himself to fit in (he was referring to smoking weed and listening to Wu-Tang back in the 90s because everyone was)...he might even mention it in more recent interviews. It's something that most people go through in their teens or twenties that he's never seemed to grow out of, that intense need for outside recognition, positive or negative. Dylan didn't really seem to go through that. Sure, he looked like every other rail chomper kid in the early-mid 2000s, but just seemed to move on and not give a shit. And I think Dill's kinda jealous of that. And though Dill's skating is amazing, Dylan fucking destroys.

ANYWAY that's a bunch of speculative psychobabble about a dude I've never met. I still back his skating 100%. Dill fucking rips. Kind of a blowhard off the board, but that's why he's rad. Skateboarding needs crazy personalities like that.

RonBurgundy

• Rep: -40
  • from a whale's vagina
« Reply #385 on: May 09, 2013, 01:33:34 AM »
if anyone whos saying dill is mediocre smiths a waist high ledge or ollie 2 picnic tables after 30, ill start listening to them.

Fake Tits

« Reply #386 on: May 09, 2013, 01:35:14 AM »
The swishy pants 23 era was fucking magic. 

Both him and AVE were in full beast mode.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #387 on: May 09, 2013, 04:20:55 AM »
And maybe, just maybe... they're still under DNA's wings? They left workshop but it didn't say that they've left "the sect"...

This is my guess, actually. I don't think they're leaving DNA. Whatever they're putting together will still be under the DNA umbrella.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #388 on: May 09, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

its not gonna happen again.....true story...BARBEE is the the only pro who kept up with the actual progression of skateboarding for the longest time....HE IS GOAT and better than GONZ.....not sorry.......(but gonz is the ARCHETYPE) dilll, kalis, stevie, carroll, jovontae, henry sanchez, koston, reynolds, guy, mj, chico, kenny a, templeton, lavar...etc....its over...them dudes laid these bricks....no one can EVER do that again.....they CREATED what we do out blunt and crack smoke

That was seriously mad poignant, b.  Gnar'd.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

dankradschwag

« Reply #389 on: May 09, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
if anyone whos saying dill is mediocre smiths a waist high ledge or ollie 2 picnic tables after 30, ill start listening to them.

i'm guessing tony hawk is the shit? or new ron allen footy is insane, huh?