Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945648 times)

skippersoldballs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10290 on: October 11, 2023, 09:31:56 PM »
Batman & Robin.

So campy. Most of Mr. Freeze’s lines are cold related puns. Alfred’s storyline is unnecessarily dramatic and pointless. Needed more Poison Ivy villainy, but overall stupid, goofy fun.
I’ve often fantasized about a version of that movie where George Clooney plays mr freeze and Arnold as Batman

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10291 on: October 12, 2023, 12:00:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Batman & Robin.

So campy. Most of Mr. Freeze’s lines are cold related puns. Alfred’s storyline is unnecessarily dramatic and pointless. Needed more Poison Ivy villainy, but overall stupid, goofy fun.
[close]
I’ve often fantasized about a version of that movie where George Clooney plays mr freeze and Arnold as Batman
With deep fake technology...

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10292 on: October 12, 2023, 03:20:56 AM »
Saw a double feature of "Creature from the Black Lagoon" with its suprisingly not-so-bad sequel "Revenge of the Creature" in 3-D this weekend. I hadn't seen a movie in 3-D since maybe "Avatar" and it was a really fun way to watch them. For me, the best Universal Monsters were The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man and The Creature, so I was pretty stoked. I guess John Carpenter had been working on a remake of "Creature..." that sounded pretty bad ass -- where he was going to do a hard-R take that built on the mythos of the Creature -- but the project fell apart after "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" flopped.
I feel like Universal has been horny to do something with the Creature IP for decades now. I recall hearing about that John Carpenter version at some point but I also remember a random Creature billboard on Ventura Blvd about 15 years ago that I thought was an impending remake that never materialized.

The James Whale Universal Monsters are probably the best ones. Frankenstein and also Bride mostly hold up and are pretty much state of the art filmmaking circa the 1930s. The Invisible Man was also by Whale and that whole series is kinda great, even if some of them suffer for some pretty padded out B-Movie plotting. An insane asshole as your protagonist was pretty against the grain for that era. The Black Cat with Lugosi and Karloff is another slept on gem. It's kinda late in the cycle and a little off brand as a loose Poe adaptation but it has really avant garde production design and was directed by Edward G Ulmer who was a European expat who came up under German Expressionism so overall it has a really wild look.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #10293 on: October 12, 2023, 06:47:38 AM »
Finally watched Uncut Gems and really enjoyed it. Adam Sandler fuckin rules

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #10294 on: October 12, 2023, 06:53:16 AM »
Finally watched Uncut Gems and really enjoyed it. Adam Sandler fuckin rules

Fuck Adam Sandler.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #10295 on: October 12, 2023, 02:31:52 PM »
I saw Barfly recently. I believe it was the Nuge getting me intrigued mentioning it as has favorite movie in some interview.
I read Post Office and Hollywood just before watching it. Especially reading Hollywood simultaneously would give you some crazy meta level perspective, which is so weird because you know some of the things he writes, is skin bare facts about his writing process while other things is prose serving as flavor. It’s wild!
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10296 on: October 12, 2023, 05:32:46 PM »
for any horror fans out there, The Outwaters (2022) is mandatory viewing if you haven't seen it yet. it's a bit of a challenging watch, just a warning.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10297 on: October 12, 2023, 09:00:30 PM »
Jacob's Ladder was a hell of a movie. Been on my list for probably over 10 years and hit the spot exactly as I had hoped it would. Tim Robbins performance was so good. Shout out Macauley Culkin

gumsole

• Rep: 22
« Reply #10298 on: October 13, 2023, 03:13:09 AM »
Couple thoughts on the last few movies I watched.

Reptile- very solid film but it could have been about 15-20 shorter. The build up to cliffhanger was awesome but once the viewer knew the outcome it could have had a better pace. 7.5/10

Nun 2- I enjoyed for a horror movie. I think it was better than the first. Amazing job on the devil goat creature and cool concepts leading up to the obvious jump scares with the nun character. I’m bias because horror and heist movies are my favorite. It’s a solid 6.5/10

Talk to Me- very interesting concept that I liked but the cast just didn’t really do it for me. At some points the emotions a character gave seemed forced. Overall 6/10.

Equalizer 3- so so so good. Mandatory watch if you’ve seen the previous ones. 8.5/10

Inside- haven’t watched a movie in a minute that didn’t piss me off as much as this one. This film lacks so much common sense it amazes me. I turned it off about 20 minutes before the end. 0/10.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #10299 on: October 13, 2023, 03:22:58 AM »
Anyone watch a Friday the 13th seeing as it's Friday the 13th and October?

Watched like ten mins of Freddy vs Jason but then swapped to They Live which is a far better movie.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #10300 on: October 13, 2023, 07:49:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Batman & Robin.

[close]
[close]

I’d be up for that! I think Clooney wasn’t on the same ol timey comic book related goofiness level of the rest of the cast and the film suffered greatly for it!! There was fun to be had! Wow, that’s too many exclamation points.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10301 on: October 13, 2023, 08:50:59 AM »
Batman & Robin.

I rewatched this last year and fuckin loved it. I understand people take batman way too serious but if you go into this expecting dog shit you'll end up having an awesome time. Plus the city shots of Gotham are so cool the way they did em

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10302 on: October 13, 2023, 10:04:33 AM »

Watched like ten mins of Freddy vs Jason but then swapped to They Live which is a far better movie.
I watched VII:The New Blood at the beginning of the month to get in the spooky mood. I also bought the remake but the killer cut which I haven’t seen so I may watch that today. I liked the OG cut a fair amount when I saw it in the theater. I still think it’s probably the best of the post millennium slasher remake phase.

VII is pretty wild and I can put my finger on why I like it now. This might be a deep cut but it feels like a Chris Claremont X-men annual; like a fleshed out backstory for a student at the academy that just happens to have all this weird unkillable serial killer stuff in their background that will never get mentioned again. It would probably be a pretty fun double feature with The New Mutants.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #10303 on: October 13, 2023, 11:09:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I watched VII:The New Blood at the beginning of the month to get in the spooky mood. I also bought the remake but the killer cut which I haven’t seen so I may watch that today. I liked the OG cut a fair amount when I saw it in the theater. I still think it’s probably the best of the post millennium slasher remake phase.

VII is pretty wild and I can put my finger on why I like it now. This might be a deep cut but it feels like a Chris Claremont X-men annual; like a fleshed out backstory for a student at the academy that just happens to have all this weird unkillable serial killer stuff in their background that will never get mentioned again. It would probably be a pretty fun double feature with The New Mutants.

:)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #10304 on: October 13, 2023, 11:23:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Batman & Robin.

[close]
[close]
[close]

I’d be up for that! I think Clooney wasn’t on the same ol timey comic book related goofiness level of the rest of the cast and the film suffered greatly for it!! There was fun to be had! Wow, that’s too many exclamation points.

SPOILER

SPOILER

Clooney shows up as BW again in the new Flash movie

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #10305 on: October 13, 2023, 04:16:40 PM »
my favorite time of the year. This was a doozy….

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10306 on: October 13, 2023, 09:33:05 PM »
Anatomy of a Fall was the first movie in a while where I simultaneously agreed wholeheartedly with the best reviews and the least glowing ones (New Yorker).

Also, def didn’t expect P.I.M.P. Being stuck in my head as a result

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #10307 on: October 14, 2023, 07:27:44 AM »
Talk to Me- very interesting concept that I liked but the cast just didn’t really do it for me. At some points the emotions a character gave seemed forced. Overall 6/10.

Yeah, I completely agree with you. The idea was cool, but the casting was exceptionally bad.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10308 on: October 15, 2023, 05:24:59 PM »
Looking for a solid Fantasy movie on Tubi or Hulu

Im Watching the Conan Remake it's just not the best.

It's a bummer it wasn't better. I had high hopes.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #10309 on: October 15, 2023, 06:09:59 PM »

Unfortunately that whole genre got kinda blown out in the straight to video 80s era. Tubi has hundreds of pretty shitty muscle hunk swords vs shitty costumes but I'd say watch deathstalker but know it's gonna be cheesy.

Also you can go in classics and watch old Hercules movies etc

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #10310 on: October 15, 2023, 07:11:49 PM »

Lucio Fulci's "Conquest" is on there, if you're looking for a batshit crazy, nonsense, slimy, no budget Italian Conan ripoff.  There's a scene in there that i'm pretty sure inspired the infamous one in Bone Tomahawk, if you've seen that
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

skippersoldballs

• Rep: 72
« Reply #10311 on: October 16, 2023, 06:54:11 PM »
Just watched the weatherman with Nic Cage, pretty good watch that flew under the radar for me. Always love the presence he has in a more dramatic role

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #10312 on: October 16, 2023, 08:52:57 PM »
MANDY. Nic Cage's greatest work.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10313 on: October 16, 2023, 09:25:11 PM »
Badlands was a good watch. Martin Sheen and that girl from Carrie.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10314 on: October 16, 2023, 10:25:25 PM »
Totally Killer (Prime) is kind of a fun light slasher movie.  Hot Tub Time Machine meets Halloween, but closer on the HTTM side of things

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10315 on: October 16, 2023, 10:27:30 PM »

Super ill flick. Days of Heaven goes hard too.

Not a movie (well, it was a movie first) but I watched a couple of old episodes of "The Naked City" on the big screen at a museum last night. Show definitely gives you something to think about as far as humanity. I bought the whole series on dvd a while back so I'm gonna crack that open. Not too into episodic tv but it seems to fit the bill for me.  I also bought the movie "Gomorrah" and the series as I heard good things about both.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10316 on: October 16, 2023, 11:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not a movie (well, it was a movie first) but I watched a couple of old episodes of "The Naked City" on the big screen at a museum last night. Show definitely gives you something to think about as far as humanity. I bought the whole series on dvd a while back so I'm gonna crack that open. Not too into episodic tv but it seems to fit the bill for me.  I also bought the movie "Gomorrah" and the series as I heard good things about both.

Is Naked City the 1958 tv series? Never heard of it but love twilight zone and Hitchcock presents so I'll definitely look into this more

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10317 on: October 17, 2023, 01:03:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There’s also a movie that takes place between I believe season 3-4

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10318 on: October 17, 2023, 03:28:25 PM »
Fair Play on Netflix.    Shame it won’t get the public recognition it deserves bc Netflix bought it from a festival and dropped it straight online.    Maybe one of the better movies this year

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10319 on: October 17, 2023, 03:47:14 PM »
Cocaine Bear. It was pretty much Zombieland on… cocaine.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion