Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798608 times)

melkmelkme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1380 on: November 06, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
Has anyone tried powerflex wheels? Been eyeing the gumballs for a min now and I wanna know how the feel compared to f4s

Yeah, I want to hear about these too.  Looking for something to replace the Autobahn 90a wheels I can't buy anymore.

Crustycurbcrew

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1381 on: November 06, 2018, 04:00:22 PM »
Ive been skating the powerflex rockcandy gumball cores for about a month, the slide is nothing like f4s, its a lot grippier but i got used to that. The wheels feel very very hard and fast, the softer core makes it faster/smoother on rough ground (which i skate a lot). The wheels have a sharp lip which chips a little. Overall i like them a lot, but i might go back to f4s for the slide.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1382 on: November 06, 2018, 06:40:19 PM »
Wheel-related:

how tightened do y'all have your axle nuts? spacer inside, washers outside tight; little bit of play; axle just on so the threads are protected and rattly?

I'm generally in the just-a-tiny-bit-of-play or occasionally spacer-and-tight camp, but I'm also a weird old fart.
How do you run yours, and why?

(we had a brief discussion as to which way would flatspot more/less, but we weren't very scientific)
SPB!

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #1383 on: November 06, 2018, 07:32:11 PM »
I run mine 1 washers inside and 1 outside no speed ring with bolts flush to axle. Im sure the proper way really is minimal side by side play as long as it doesnt bind. No wonder my inner races are ovalized  ;)

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1384 on: November 06, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
I generally use one speedring between nut and wheel and then put as many as necessary between wheel and hanger so the nut is flush and there is a teensy tiny bit of movement.

I do have some Daddies Ceramic bearings with built in spacers coming tomorrow and I believe I can tighten them all the way...

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1385 on: November 07, 2018, 12:47:57 AM »
6 washers inside, none outside, flipped nuts. all the way tight because bearing spacers

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1386 on: November 07, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
No spacers
One speedring nut side
As many spacers needed inside to get the nut flush with the axle tip (usually 2)

olan.is.rollin

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1387 on: November 07, 2018, 09:45:08 AM »
Ive been skating the powerflex rockcandy gumball cores for about a month, the slide is nothing like f4s, its a lot grippier but i got used to that. The wheels feel very very hard and fast, the softer core makes it faster/smoother on rough ground (which i skate a lot). The wheels have a sharp lip which chips a little. Overall i like them a lot, but i might go back to f4s for the slide.
how do they feel on skatelite/masonite?

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #1388 on: November 07, 2018, 11:21:51 AM »
4 speed rings oriented either two on each side or three inside if I'm wanting to push my wheels out for a deck that's wider than my trucks. Tighten till there's only a tiny, barely noticeable amount of play.

Most importantly, your axle threads never get damaged if you do this.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1389 on: November 07, 2018, 11:37:29 AM »
I'm a fan of running flush nuts, but I don't think I've ever fit 4 speed rings on an axle..

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1390 on: November 07, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »
I'm a fan of running flush nuts, but I don't think I've ever fit 4 speed rings on an axle..

I have some vintage Indys (stage 6 and 7) that I need to run 4 on.   Most of the newer stuff it is 2-3

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1391 on: November 08, 2018, 12:33:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
how do they feel on skatelite/masonite?

I’ve been skating some powerflex for about 6 months now. Not gumballs but they are a good hard, grippy wheel. Outdoor Skatelite they are less prone to wash out than F4’s, indoors varies based on how dusty the park is. No wheel is going to save you from dusty Masonite, better off grabbing the mop haha

hey pickle

« Reply #1392 on: November 12, 2018, 03:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
What about those new OJ elite? Is is more of the same OJ chalk?
[close]

skating one board with elites and another with the ones i think they call mini combos. The elites definitely roll a LOT better than the combos, but i need to try a different brand to see if I'm just blinded by the juice

mini combos different to 'normal' elites? what abkht those boserio elite mini combos?

somedudefromnj

« Reply #1393 on: November 13, 2018, 05:37:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What about those new OJ elite? Is is more of the same OJ chalk?
[close]

skating one board with elites and another with the ones i think they call mini combos. The elites definitely roll a LOT better than the combos, but i need to try a different brand to see if I'm just blinded by the juice
[close]

mini combos different to 'normal' elites? what abkht those boserio elite mini combos?

these are the ones im talking about. I think they came out long before they started doing the elites.
The elites i do have though are the sample ones that were plain and just say elites  on em, debating getting those boserios though

EDIT: My bad i never posted the link. IDK how to embed so here is the link to the webstore https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/52mm-oj-ii-mini-combos-101a-oj-skateboard-wheels

EDIT EDIT: Just noticed those say elite ones, but i have the old ones same exact graphic
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:39:50 AM by somedudefromnj »

thomas kook

« Reply #1394 on: November 20, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
hey guys, i've always just had shop wheels but i've been looking at some spitfire wheels and i was wondering if there's any difference between formula four and regular wheels besides just the branding? is anything spitfire makes automatically with this formula? what does it mean? sorry if this question is asked like a million times but googling it was quite the nightmare

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #1395 on: November 20, 2018, 05:09:22 PM »
hey guys, i've always just had shop wheels but i've been looking at some spitfire wheels and i was wondering if there's any difference between formula four and regular wheels besides just the branding? is anything spitfire makes automatically with this formula? what does it mean? sorry if this question is asked like a million times but googling it was quite the nightmare
The formula four is specifically different than classic both in price and performance. Go with formula fours. If it doesn't say formula four (big heads, classics, pro classics) it's not. There's a few different versions of each formula mkstly to do with the shape. Lock ins for example are formula four. But they say "formula four Lock ins". Formula is a really really weird word im writing it too much

I dunno how it is round you but around here classics are almost the same price as formula four. In my opinion classics perform the same as any shop wheel nowadays so you can probably get a better deal on that or even bones 100s over classics.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:22:07 PM by CoMpLeMeNts4U »

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1396 on: November 20, 2018, 10:20:07 PM »
just got these on sale. what can i expect coming from F4s?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1397 on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:21 PM »
just got these on sale. what can i expect coming from F4s?

not sure, report back though.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1398 on: November 21, 2018, 01:04:49 AM »
I think at this point in time anything coming from F4 is merely a temporary experiment for a bit of variety, a little spice in your life.

The return to F4 is imminent.

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1399 on: November 21, 2018, 02:14:32 AM »
sml AG formula have been very similar to classics to me.

that being said i think F4 conical fulls are the best wheels out there for a mixture of park and sketchy street spots.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1400 on: November 21, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »
Wheel-related:

how tightened do y'all have your axle nuts? spacer inside, washers outside tight; little bit of play; axle just on so the threads are protected and rattly?

I'm generally in the just-a-tiny-bit-of-play or occasionally spacer-and-tight camp, but I'm also a weird old fart.
How do you run yours, and why?

(we had a brief discussion as to which way would flatspot more/less, but we weren't very scientific)

I'm on the extreme end....race reds, cranked.  Zero play. The weird differences it makes are: 1) when you slide, no noise, no screech.  2) way less pop. 

More or less the rattling of your board is like a speaker, it amplifies sound.

The reason why I do this is, in theory no play=no axel slip.  Plus once I get it set up right, there's less tinkering w. my board.  When I had a tail skid and rails, the no rattle board was the holy grail. 

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1401 on: November 23, 2018, 08:10:11 AM »
Just wanted to say that 56mm OJ Keyframes have changed my life. Cruiser smooth, street feel, roll forever over almost anything.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1402 on: November 23, 2018, 12:19:10 PM »
I think at this point in time anything coming from F4 is merely a temporary experiment for a bit of variety, a little spice in your life.

The return to F4 is imminent.

This.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #1403 on: November 23, 2018, 07:11:52 PM »
Thinking about going back to f4 from stfs, which f4 shape is closest to a v2 bones? Maybe the conical? Looks a but wider though

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #1404 on: November 23, 2018, 07:53:10 PM »
I have a set of OJs the bearings got loose in them like the wheel wobbles around the bearings a bit

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1405 on: November 23, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
Thinking about going back to f4 from stfs, which f4 shape is closest to a v2 bones? Maybe the conical? Looks a but wider though

Radial slims probably

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1406 on: November 23, 2018, 11:05:13 PM »
anyone ever skated dial tone wheels?

Diocletian

« Reply #1407 on: November 24, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »
So I ended up going with some 55mm 97a Pig wheels for my indoor park. Just set it all up, and now I’m wondering if they’re defective or I’ve just never noticed this with wheels before.

I pressed the brand new bearings in as best I could, then tightened down the nut super far to really push them in (I usually do this with all set-ups), then loosened them just enough to allow free spin and a tiny amount of play between the wheel and nut.

I noticed when these wheels are spinning they look like they spin off center. They’re spinning on fresh never skated Indy’s so the axles aren’t bent or anything. Anyone ever notice this happening with their wheels before?

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #1408 on: November 24, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »
So I ended up going with some 55mm 97a Pig wheels for my indoor park. Just set it all up, and now I’m wondering if they’re defective or I’ve just never noticed this with wheels before.

I pressed the brand new bearings in as best I could, then tightened down the nut super far to really push them in (I usually do this with all set-ups), then loosened them just enough to allow free spin and a tiny amount of play between the wheel and nut.

I noticed when these wheels are spinning they look like they spin off center. They’re spinning on fresh never skated Indy’s so the axles aren’t bent or anything. Anyone ever notice this happening with their wheels before?
Yup every spitfire wheel does this to me. Looks like an out of true bike wheel when it spins?

Diocletian

« Reply #1409 on: November 24, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yup every spitfire wheel does this to me. Looks like an out of true bike wheel when it spins?

That’s exactly it, like a bent bike wheel. I pondered if it was maybe the wheel tread laid unevenly, which made it appear wobbly, but even the outside edge of the conical wheel doesn’t spin straight when focusing on it.