Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797506 times)

DERBY and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jory4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2880 on: April 15, 2020, 12:34:23 PM »
Anyone have experience of speedlabs 99a formula relative to f4?

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #2881 on: April 15, 2020, 05:22:51 PM »
does anyone have experience with the brand boardy cakes?
even the steven

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2882 on: April 15, 2020, 05:29:35 PM »
does anyone have experience with the brand boardy cakes?
I bought wheels from their website and they sent me the wheels in the mail. The wheels say "Boardy Cakes" on them. They are small.

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2883 on: April 15, 2020, 07:34:39 PM »
For a rough street: STF 99 or F4 99?

not sure if you're still wondering about this but ben degros says the F4's are much smoother feeling on rough terrain.

check around 6:10 mark

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2884 on: April 15, 2020, 07:43:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

not sure if you're still wondering about this but ben degros says the F4's are much smoother feeling on rough terrain.

I didn't see Ben skate on 'rough terrain' like our boys Red Dawn spot he's got to skate on.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #2885 on: April 15, 2020, 07:52:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would disagree with this take tbh having tried both (albeit easy streets very briefly), they're definitely a bit softer imo

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2886 on: April 15, 2020, 08:48:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I would disagree with this take tbh having tried both (albeit easy streets very briefly), they're definitely a bit softer imo

Same experience as you. Especially with the Easy street fatties, compared to similar size Conical fulls. Easy streets felt softer on medium rough streets and slid pretty close to as nice as F4’s do, though the slide feels different. The newer natural color easy streets don’t feel like that to me though. Those feel harder and grippier imo

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2887 on: April 16, 2020, 06:13:32 AM »
Do they actually make easy streets in V2 or V3, 50mm or 51mm? Page below makes it look like they do but I've never seen them available anywhere.

https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula-99/

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2888 on: April 16, 2020, 06:26:15 AM »
Do they actually make easy streets in V2 or V3, 50mm or 51mm? Page below makes it look like they do but I've never seen them available anywhere.

This isn’t meant as a replacement but....the sml wheels coffee cruisers have always been interesting to me. Having a softer, regular (for me, 50-52mm) wheel sounds fun.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2889 on: April 16, 2020, 06:40:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This isn’t meant as a replacement but....the sml wheels coffee cruisers have always been interesting to me. Having a softer, regular (for me, 50-52mm) wheel sounds fun.

Yeah, but if you're going to go that route you might as well get a 52mm keyframe. 92a wheels have always been super disappointing to me.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2890 on: April 16, 2020, 06:42:11 AM »
V4 would like line a F4 conical?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2891 on: April 16, 2020, 06:46:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, but if you're going to go that route you might as well get a 52mm keyframe. 92a wheels have always been super disappointing to me.

Probably because you are still ripping! Soft wheels and any ledge trick are terrible. Rolling down fucked roads in scenic country areas and attempting a flip trick is more my speed.
Forgot about the key frames, never had em. Had rough riders and they were good for rolling, nothing else.
For some reason I originally thought the easy streets were more of a soft, go anywhere wheel, but they are really just more like the f4 99, no?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2892 on: April 16, 2020, 06:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably because you are still ripping! Soft wheels and any ledge trick are terrible. Rolling down fucked roads in scenic country areas and attempting a flip trick is more my speed.
Forgot about the key frames, never had em. Had rough riders and they were good for rolling, nothing else.
For some reason I originally thought the easy streets were more of a soft, go anywhere wheel, but they are really just more like the f4 99, no?

Yeah, they're like bones version of the F4. I skated Bones forever because I liked the shapes, but F4s just changed everything completely. I love tablets and classics, but I would give easy streets a try if they made them in the sizes/shapes that I like.

TBH, and I know some people hate them, but the 80HD chargers in the classic shape (I had the 54s) were my favorite cruiser wheel. Super soft but I could still do heelflips and tricks involving rotation without eating it. I think they just had some QC issues with those and the classic shape made them a little less durable.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2893 on: April 16, 2020, 07:29:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, they're like bones version of the F4. I skated Bones forever because I liked the shapes, but F4s just changed everything completely. I love tablets and classics, but I would give easy streets a try if they made them in the sizes/shapes that I like.

TBH, and I know some people hate them, but the 80HD chargers in the classic shape (I had the 54s) were my favorite cruiser wheel. Super soft but I could still do heelflips and tricks involving rotation without eating it. I think they just had some QC issues with those and the classic shape made them a little less durable.

I took Slap’s recommendation and passed on those.
Had a ton of recommendations for key frames, have always just bought big ass regular wheels, and then the whole shit is heavy as fuck and I hate em.
Serves ye right kind souls that recommend: I’ll just buy the other thing and then hate it.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2894 on: April 16, 2020, 09:44:56 AM »
Keyframes are pretty heavy - just put them on venture 6.1’s from my 169 and noticed it more for sure

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2895 on: April 16, 2020, 10:51:34 AM »
V4 would like line a F4 conical?
no, v4 is like a classic full. v5 is like a conical and v6 is like a conical full

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2896 on: April 16, 2020, 12:07:30 PM »

Wow,49mm V2!

Smallest I've seen the easys/99s in V2/v3 are 52mm

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #2897 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:48 PM »
stf 99 are the same as easy streets (except grown up).  they dropped the easy street moniker, got rid of the treads and use the more natural color. 

about to switch to some 99radial53s but the 5399v5s i rode all winter have been great.  i'm looking forward to being a little slidier but am hoping i don't notice too much of a decrease in glide and long rollingness which might be unmatched. 

between these two formulas we are in great time for street wheels.  i see v6s in my future...roll forever and ever and...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2898 on: April 16, 2020, 10:39:15 PM »
In the past I could never see myself riding anything bigger than a 52mm, but given that street / curb skating is all we have right now, 54mm conicals / wide wheels seem like a welcome relief from the cracks in the road.

Been eyeing a pair of Autobahn 54mm Dual Core wheels, unfortunately the seller doesn't want to ship stuff out during lockdown. Still a good time to try some dual core SML wheels I inherited from a 2nd hand setup I got.

Got me thinking - why did dual core wheels out of fashion?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:24:10 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2899 on: April 16, 2020, 11:29:00 PM »
In the past I could never see myself riding anything bigger than a 52mm, but given that street / curb skating is all we have right now, 54mm conicals / wide wheels seem like a welcome relief from the cracks in the road.

Been eyeing a pair of Autobahn 54mm Dual Core wheels, unfortunately the seller doesn't want to ship stuff out during lockdown. Still a good time to try some dual core SML wheels I inherited from a 2nd hand setup I got.

Got me thinking - why did dual core wheels out of fashion?

What good do they do? What’s the difference between regular core and dual core?

PMA

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2900 on: April 16, 2020, 11:54:02 PM »
Expand Quote

Been eyeing a pair of Autobahn 54mm Dual Core wheels cored (dual durometer), unfortunately the seller doesn't want to ship stuff out during lockdown. Still a good time to try some dual cored SML wheels I inherited from a 2nd hand setup I got.

Got me thinking - why did cored wheels out of fashion?
[close]

Meant to type core / dual durometer. Seemed like back in the day every brand had a core wheel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2901 on: April 17, 2020, 05:04:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Been eyeing a pair of Autobahn 54mm Dual Core wheels cored (dual durometer), unfortunately the seller doesn't want to ship stuff out during lockdown. Still a good time to try some dual cored SML wheels I inherited from a 2nd hand setup I got.

[close]

[close]

Meant to type core / dual durometer. Seemed like back in the day every brand had a core wheel.

You still see duel durometer on a lot of softer wheels. I think it makes more sense with soft wheels, the harder core allows the bearings to seat straight without spacers. For hard wheels it's not really a problem.

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2902 on: April 17, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »
Anyone know the difference between OG Ricta clouds vs chrome clouds at 92a? Is the chrome core supposed to ... help in some way?

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2903 on: April 17, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »
Just ordered some 53mm, 101 F4 Tablets from my local. Hoping to find that sweet spot between a lighter weight, “tech” wheel that locks into grinds well but can still handle rougher surfaces and cracks in the ground. My conical fulls roll great over just about everything, but they feel kind of clunky for flips and grinds

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2904 on: April 17, 2020, 04:01:28 PM »

Anybody knows if those "bubbles" are going to be an issue in the future?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2905 on: April 17, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
↑ nah, they were an industry standard for years ...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2906 on: April 18, 2020, 12:31:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You still see duel durometer on a lot of softer wheels. I think it makes more sense with soft wheels, the harder core allows the bearings to seat straight without spacers. For hard wheels it's not really a problem.
The core on cruiser wheels is hard plastic, I see 70d hardness used a lot. There's some actual dual durometer wheels out there. There's roller derby stuff where the outside is softer for grip and the inside is harder for speed. Goofy colors..
And there's these weird Autobahn wheels that I never got to see in person. They use a 97a core in a 83b wheel for good slide and speed without being to jarring. Idk how well they worked.
https://www.fullcircledistribution.com/collections/autobahn-wheel-co/products/autobahn-ab-x-torus-97a-52mm-54mm

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #2907 on: April 18, 2020, 11:22:11 PM »
Which OJ cruiser wheel is the best? I need one that rolls well, slides easily (to do slappies), and isn't ridiculously big. I'm going to use Indy 169s and probably either a 9-1/4 Krooked Dan Drehobl deck or a Girl Couch/Love shape.

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #2908 on: April 20, 2020, 08:05:21 AM »
50mm f4 classics or the cones?
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2909 on: April 20, 2020, 10:13:29 AM »
Which OJ cruiser wheel is the best? I need one that rolls well, slides easily (to do slappies), and isn't ridiculously big. I'm going to use Indy 169s and probably either a 9-1/4 Krooked Dan Drehobl deck or a Girl Couch/Love shape.
I rock 54mm keyframes.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.