Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797587 times)

Cthulhu!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5820 on: October 20, 2022, 06:58:02 PM »
I decided to spoil myself. I grabbed a set of 99a OJ Elites. Their "Hardline" shape, which is just a slightly wide, conical cut. I drove out to a beautiful concrete park and they were great. Grippier than 99a F4s in my opinion, which is what I was looking for. That kind of chalky, bleached white feeling got to me.

I think this is love. At least, love in a smooth park setting. I am breaking up with Bones SPFs.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #5821 on: October 20, 2022, 11:00:15 PM »
I decided to spoil myself. I grabbed a set of 99a OJ Elites. Their "Hardline" shape, which is just a slightly wide, conical cut. I drove out to a beautiful concrete park and they were great. Grippier than 99a F4s in my opinion, which is what I was looking for. That kind of chalky, bleached white feeling got to me.

I think this is love. At least, love in a smooth park setting. I am breaking up with Bones SPFs.
I’ve been wondering about them. They sound wonderful. What size did you get for what truck/riser combo?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #5822 on: October 23, 2022, 01:42:45 AM »
Thinking of getting a harder wheel for my cruiser setup. Is there noticable differences between Spits CF and Slimeballs 97a?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #5823 on: October 23, 2022, 06:03:40 AM »
Thinking of getting a harder wheel for my cruiser setup. Is there noticable differences between Spits CF and Slimeballs 97a?

Spits feel softer/smoother and slide better at the same time.
Slimeballs 97a are kinda bad in my opinion, they feel hard like a 99a but don't slide well.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #5824 on: October 23, 2022, 07:14:01 AM »

The slimeball 97s are pretty shitty imo, they somehow feel harder, AND roll slower than a f4 99a.  I'd recommend the 97 spitfires theyre pretty legit I have them in the 58mm CF for crustier spots and pushing around.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5825 on: October 23, 2022, 10:02:11 AM »

Are you just cruising on it or are you planning on doing tricks too? What wheels are you currently riding on it?

Slimeballs feel unresponsive and take a lot of effort to get speed at the skatepark. They’re pretty grippy, but you can still slide them with some extra effort. Like others have said, they feel like a 99a wheel so they might not be the best choice if you’re cruising on crusty stuff.

I’ve only ridden the 97a Spitfires on friends boards at the park. They also feel slow in the park, but also feel noticeably softer and more comfortable than slimeballs. I imagine that would translate to a more comfortable ride in the streets. I can’t personally account for how they slide, but the consensus here is that they still slide pretty well.

If you’re just cruising around and not doing tricks, my recommendation would be OJ super juices.

I also met one dude who was a pretty decent street skater that was using the OJ mini super juice (55mm 78a) on his daily driver. He was more into flip tricks than grinds, but he didn’t seem to have any problem flipping his board with the mini juices.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #5826 on: October 23, 2022, 03:04:41 PM »
This is so last month but…..Dragons…

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #5827 on: October 23, 2022, 03:42:16 PM »
I also met one dude who was a pretty decent street skater that was using the OJ mini super juice (55mm 78a) on his daily driver. He was more into flip tricks than grinds, but he didn’t seem to have any problem flipping his board with the mini juices.

There are some local dudes who skate SOFT wheels. None of them are insane gnar dogs but they’re all good skaters with style and they seem perfectly used to their setups.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #5828 on: October 23, 2022, 07:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
@Mbrimson88 just wanted to say thanks for posting your wheel rehab with the grinder. Got me wondering if I could use my bushing shaping fixture with wheels.

Works well. I just need to make a sanding block with the radius I want so they’ll be consistent. I’ll toss finished pics up when I get it dialed in.
[close]

Yo post the radius block too! I’m afraid I don’t have steady enough hand to try with out some sort of fixture or something to keep them consistent. So basically I’m trying to steal your idea haha
Did a quick mock up before I made it out of steel.

Just drilled the block out to 7/8”, cut a piece of 7/8” .065(1/16” wall) tubing to the radius of the Spitfire classic shape, epoxied it to the block, stuck some Velcro onto that(I use Velcro sandpaper at work, that’s what I have), carriage bolt with a truck top washer on the top of the wheel, 2 nuts(one to tighten and the other for a lock nut) chuck it into a drill press and spin them down. It actually works really good so I’m going to steel for a permanent one.
Just make sure you measure how wide you want your riding surface to be and mark it out with some masking tape so you know when to stop on each side.

pops

« Reply #5829 on: October 24, 2022, 01:25:28 AM »
Thanks for all the responses on my question. I have a set of mini juices  from last summer so maybe I'll just stick to them fro now. I actually like them alot but was looking for a harder wheel for change  I'll probably check out the 97 spits or dragons when they're on discount.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5830 on: October 24, 2022, 08:57:17 AM »
Mini juice come in an 87a now also.

IrritableBowel2

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5831 on: October 24, 2022, 09:51:30 AM »
Has anyone experienced a wobbly Dragon wheel? I have one that no matter how many times I unseat the bearings, or even swap out seems to have a wobbly roll and it feels sorta weird like my truck is loose, but it's not.  :o

eviltgirl

« Reply #5832 on: October 24, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
Has anyone experienced a wobbly Dragon wheel? I have one that no matter how many times I unseat the bearings, or even swap out seems to have a wobbly roll and it feels sorta weird like my truck is loose, but it's not.  :o

Yeah my friend got a set like that, just sent a video to skateone's warranty dept and they sent him a new set.

IrritableBowel2

« Reply #5833 on: October 24, 2022, 01:13:43 PM »
Just like your friend, I emailed Skateone and they're sending a new set  ;D

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #5834 on: October 24, 2022, 01:33:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Currently riding a set of 101a Rictas. Was riding 99 F4s before.

Curious how Bones 103a STF, Spitfire 101a and OJ Elite 101 compare now.
[close]

101 Ricta are hard to beat once you adjust to the slide. Everything else will feel soft but Elites but Elites will be too grippy, bones will be too glassy, and spit will feel a bit slower, in my experience (after riding ricta).

They wear down pretty fast but no flats spots or complaints.

You're right about the Rictas wearing down quickly. They are definitely hard as hell- makes your board sound good IMO.

After riding 99 F4s again for awhile though, the slide is nowhere near as good. I haven't ridden 101 F4s yet. I hope to next summer, but I've got 54 Classic Fulls and 53 Radials in 99 for the winter to ride through first.

Good (cheap) experiment, but I don't think F4s can be beat.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
« Reply #5835 on: October 24, 2022, 03:05:36 PM »

I'm not sure if mine are wobbly since I been on the spits for a while again but I noticed they barely hold the bearings in. You can plop them in with your fingers with no force and they don't feel secure. Partly why I haven't put my Swiss in the dragons yet as I'm worried it might damage them somehow.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #5836 on: October 25, 2022, 09:14:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm not sure if mine are wobbly since I been on the spits for a while again but I noticed they barely hold the bearings in. You can plop them in with your fingers with no force and they don't feel secure. Partly why I haven't put my Swiss in the dragons yet as I'm worried it might damage them somehow.

were these 52mm?  I noticed the bearing slipping issue that was binding my wheels.  a friend with 54mm is not having the same issue

pops

« Reply #5837 on: October 25, 2022, 11:11:37 AM »

I didn't believe it when I read this first, but they actually do! Sadly my country does only have 78a which I have too. 87's would be dreamy.

IrritableBowel2

« Reply #5838 on: October 25, 2022, 11:42:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

were these 52mm?  I noticed the bearing slipping issue that was binding my wheels.  a friend with 54mm is not having the same issue

Mine were 54 V1 shape.

Mall Grab Mike

• Rep: -9
« Reply #5839 on: October 25, 2022, 03:46:56 PM »
Anyone try those new OJs double durometer prototypes? They said 101 outer and 95a core. It's been done before but interested in how these ride.

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #5840 on: October 25, 2022, 04:11:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn't believe it when I read this first, but they actually do! Sadly my country does only have 78a which I have too. 87's would be dreamy.

where did you see them ? i would like to see them in real life because until not i will consider miswriting, i havent read oj talk about that on their social. same urethane than keyframes ?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
« Reply #5841 on: October 25, 2022, 05:08:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No they're 56 mm

pops

« Reply #5842 on: October 25, 2022, 11:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

where did you see them ? i would like to see them in real life because until not i will consider miswriting, i havent read oj talk about that on their social. same urethane than keyframes ?

OJ Wheels site says that the Super Juice minis now come in 87a too. I don't know how recent they're but they must be since I've never seen them before. Would definitely get them rn if they were available.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5843 on: October 26, 2022, 12:22:12 AM »

huggernaut

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #5844 on: October 26, 2022, 08:38:36 AM »

And yet “2 duros, 7 shapes” still listed on the f4 info page. 

eviltgirl

« Reply #5845 on: October 26, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5846 on: October 26, 2022, 09:57:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

mini (55mm) and super (60mm) all over the place.

https://socalskateshop.com/OJ-Super-Juice-Mini-Skateboard-Wheels-Orange-Yellow-55mm-87a.html

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5847 on: October 26, 2022, 10:04:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ultimate off road wheel

Cries in lack of 99a Radial Slims
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5848 on: October 26, 2022, 11:19:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ultimate off road wheel
[close]

Cries in lack of 99a Radial Slims

Cries in lack of 101a Radial Slims 51mm

I just go a set of 51mm  101a  Radial slims from local shop, the last set since 2021. They are so great, I don't know why they keeps bringing out chunky  wheels. Radials Conical fulls etc..

The best shape 51mm to 51g ha!

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #5849 on: October 31, 2022, 03:00:58 PM »
Is there a better, or at least comparable, version of a F4 99a Spitfire classic out there made by other manufacturers?  I’ve been skating the same set of 55 mm Spitfire classics for a while now and I’m hitting the natural urge to switch it up to try something new, but similar.  Any other brands out there that are making that shape come close to the performance of a 99a F4?