Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797522 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7050 on: November 01, 2023, 05:55:56 PM »
Expand Quote

I see the new DLXSF.COM / Spitfire wheels catalog is up, with a new one down the far bottom corner...  Sure they are probably a different wheel, pricepoint / beginner wheel as shown, but I wonder what the deal is with them.

Never seen anything out about them before seeing it here, so I am kind of curious if anyone else has seen or heard about them too?

Also the Ryan Lee Spitfire "filmer" wheel is in there too - looks like a Super Juice / Penny type wheel profile, but at least that one I had seen and knew was coming out.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall-2023-drop-2/

[close]

I'd wager the deal is simply Spitfire trying to offer a product that absolute beginners might consider. Sure, there are those types of people who always get the high end stuff even if they just dip their toes into something, but the majority of people will get an entry level product first. Here in Europe F4s go for 70 Euros now (about 116 AUSD for my friends Down Under), not many beginners are willing to invest that much into wheels if there are options that cost them less than half. If these are going for, say, 40 Euros, I can see people pay a little more to get some Spitfires because consumers in general are drawn to the products of high(er)-end brands even if they can't or won't splurge for the real top of the line stuff. See any and all outlet malls for that general mechanism... So long story short, probably no real value added to the market with those things.

Yeah they sure are going up in price, as per everything DLX actually - wheels, trucks, wood, etc.

Agreed with all you said there too.  I am not keen to get any, but then I still want to get at least one set in to put on a board for people to try, also so I can see what they are like, more than anything.

I still see some people I know getting the original formula from other shops / places, then flatspotting them first session and asking me why, to which I reply "Just get Formula Four wheels.  You know they are going to hold up way better." or something similar.  Had that conversation quite a few times recently including yesterday at the indoor park, often with people who should know better, but I can't make them get better wheels when they don't want to pay the price for Formula Four wheels and go with the cheaper option.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #7051 on: November 01, 2023, 09:13:52 PM »
Expand Quote
spitfire brought back the OG classics in F4 formula
[close]
Is there a big difference between the OG classics and regular conicals? Seems like they're the same shape with a slightly wider riding surface
They’re pretty similar. I started riding the regular conicals once the OG classics became unavailable. OGs have a slightly wider contact patch while also being just slightly more narrow. OGs have more of a square profile while conicals have a more angled edge.

In terms of the way they skate, they’re also pretty similar. I think the conicals lock into grinds better and grind further (less drag). The OGs feel more like a wide wheel. They offer a little more control and stability, and are slightly better at cruising over stuff

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7052 on: November 02, 2023, 06:01:53 AM »
Good drop, regular lock ins back in 53/101 and 54/97a Conical Full - fav wheels

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #7053 on: November 03, 2023, 06:57:22 AM »
Guys hear me out.... Bones X formula, but 103a

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7054 on: November 03, 2023, 07:43:59 AM »
Expand Quote

I see the new DLXSF.COM / Spitfire wheels catalog is up, with a new one down the far bottom corner...  Sure they are probably a different wheel, pricepoint / beginner wheel as shown, but I wonder what the deal is with them.

Never seen anything out about them before seeing it here, so I am kind of curious if anyone else has seen or heard about them too?

Also the Ryan Lee Spitfire "filmer" wheel is in there too - looks like a Super Juice / Penny type wheel profile, but at least that one I had seen and knew was coming out.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall-2023-drop-2/

[close]

I'd wager the deal is simply Spitfire trying to offer a product that absolute beginners might consider. Sure, there are those types of people who always get the high end stuff even if they just dip their toes into something, but the majority of people will get an entry level product first. Here in Europe F4s go for 70 Euros now (about 116 AUSD for my friends Down Under), not many beginners are willing to invest that much into wheels if there are options that cost them less than half. If these are going for, say, 40 Euros, I can see people pay a little more to get some Spitfires because consumers in general are drawn to the products of high(er)-end brands even if they can't or won't splurge for the real top of the line stuff. See any and all outlet malls for that general mechanism... So long story short, probably no real value added to the market with those things.

I don't know where you are in Europe but up here in Scandinavia we're not paying 70 euros for F4 wheels. More like 55 € on the average. Still pricey, but no way I'm gonna pay 70 € for a set of any wheel.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7055 on: November 03, 2023, 07:49:56 AM »

what was wrong with the STF formula... if you wanted wheels that hard, why are we even bothering trying to be cruisery at this point? i think going above 97 didnt really make sense other thna to try and compete with f4s.

rikki

« Reply #7056 on: November 03, 2023, 07:55:29 AM »
X97 and X99 are my go to dusty indoor skatepark wheels nowadays. Fast enough but with a lot less of slipping out than with e.g. F4's.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7057 on: November 03, 2023, 08:05:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what was wrong with the STF formula... if you wanted wheels that hard, why are we even bothering trying to be cruisery at this point? i think going above 97 didnt really make sense other thna to try and compete with f4s.

x97 and x99 serve different needs and I wouldn't say the x99 is trying to compete with anything spitfire; the urethanes are completely different regardless of durometer. You could make an x101 and it still wouldn't skate the same as a 101 F4 due to rebound.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #7058 on: November 03, 2023, 03:16:55 PM »
I'm a Conical and Conical Full F4 lover since 2020 (tried f4 for the first time after a decade of virtually only Bones STF)

How would a radial compare to a Conical or conical full performance wise?  They LOOK similar enough at a glance. I'm interested in actual feedback and not specs since I can look those up myself.

I've only been running those two shapes in 52-54mm at 99 or 101 since I switched from Bones. I Prefer 99 For everything though. 99 radials could be a good alternative to C/CF 99D dryspells if they skate like how I think they do
Super Champion Fun Zone

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7059 on: November 03, 2023, 04:14:50 PM »
I'm a Conical and Conical Full F4 lover since 2020 (tried f4 for the first time after a decade of virtually only Bones STF)

How would a radial compare to a Conical or conical full performance wise?  They LOOK similar enough at a glance. I'm interested in actual feedback and not specs since I can look those up myself.

I've only been running those two shapes in 52-54mm at 99 or 101 since I switched from Bones. I Prefer 99 For everything though. 99 radials could be a good alternative to C/CF 99D dryspells if they skate like how I think they do

good question that i don’t have the answer for. i haven’t skated radials, or conicals, had several sets of conical fulls just to make sure i didn’t like them (i actually sorta like these 52 101 cf, but do t love). i’ve got radial fulls set up on a board for little kids to ride, they are fun for that.

i think i’d enjoy radials out of the ones you mentioned

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7060 on: November 03, 2023, 11:35:05 PM »

Where tho. I'm like seconds away from buying bones big rigs 90mm stf 99s or 58mm x99s

Does anyone know where I can get a Bones promo code?

Also hearing the boss is riding some type of dragons too makes me wanna use the x99 formula.

Has anyone tried that on smooth skate park ground? Did they slide?

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #7061 on: November 03, 2023, 11:35:46 PM »

Depends on what you’re going for. The lock in on a conical is superior to that of a radial. The radial however will roll over coping and curbs easier because of the rounder edge. I think the contact patch is smaller on the radial too, and might suffer on tougher ground. You could also look at the rereleased OG classics

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7062 on: November 03, 2023, 11:36:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Is there a big difference between the OG classics and regular conicals? Seems like they're the same shape with a slightly wider riding surface

Og classic I think is thinner than the conical fulls. My 56mm Connie seemed wider than my 58og
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7063 on: November 03, 2023, 11:41:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

good question that i don’t have the answer for. i haven’t skated radials, or conicals, had several sets of conical fulls just to make sure i didn’t like them (i actually sorta like these 52 101 cf, but do t love). i’ve got radial fulls set up on a board for little kids to ride, they are fun for that.

i think i’d enjoy radials out of the ones you mentioned

I say radials are basically the same. Maybe a tad bit heavier because they are less cut. They won't loose riding surface after you pass the max width like a Connie
(A)pl(E)

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #7064 on: November 04, 2023, 04:10:07 AM »
I think Im done with Radial Fulls shape. I cant seem to find a good balance with them in any of my setups. First I was kinda stoked on them but now I think they're feeling way too heavy and clumsy for everything but bombing hills, lol. Back on more square cut and slimmer rounder wheels for the rest of my life.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #7065 on: November 04, 2023, 05:55:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where tho. I'm like seconds away from buying bones big rigs 90mm stf 99s or 58mm x99s

Does anyone know where I can get a Bones promo code?

Also hearing the boss is riding some type of dragons too makes me wanna use the x99 formula.

Has anyone tried that on smooth skate park ground? Did they slide?
Marriage Skateshop has the F4 OGs.

What Spitfire wheel is the closest to 58mm OJ Original 99a OJ? I haven’t skated non-Spitfires in ten years and am wheel-curious.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #7066 on: November 04, 2023, 11:23:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Depends on what you’re going for. The lock in on a conical is superior to that of a radial. The radial however will roll over coping and curbs easier because of the rounder edge. I think the contact patch is smaller on the radial too, and might suffer on tougher ground. You could also look at the rereleased OG classics

Good point. I'm all over the place: tech, manuals, grinds, flatground, quarter/transition skating, some hill bombing here and there, etc. Lately, park and some low impact street. Conical and Conical Full in 52-54mm is pretty ideal for me: not too cumbersome, nor too tiny. I like a versatile wheel but I also like a wide enough contact patch to stay gripped on smoother surfaces. I don't like my wheels to feel narrow like I'm on tic tacs

OG Classics look like too hefty of a wheel (maybe it's in my head) so I'm apprehensive to try those. If radial is adjacent to C/CF in my ideal or slightly larger sizes, then I'm interested. If not, maybe I'll pass. If they roll over curbs and coping easier that sounds like a win. Sometimes my C/CFs take more effort to roll over to initiate the lock in the longer I skate them.

Wanted a decent/close substitute since CF/C 99d 53/54mm sells out often from most shops I've seen in the last couple years.

I will say that I cannot stand Spitfire's Classic shape or any other brand that makes a wheel shape like that.  Absolutely terrible riding surface width, doesn't stay locked in/rolls out of locked grinds prematurely, doesn't slide that well (for me it seems), and they just look weird to me. Anyone else feel that way?

Thanks everyone that's shared some feedback! Appreciate it :)
Super Champion Fun Zone

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7067 on: November 04, 2023, 12:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Good point. I'm all over the place: tech, manuals, grinds, flatground, quarter/transition skating, some hill bombing here and there, etc. Lately, park and some low impact street. Conical and Conical Full in 52-54mm is pretty ideal for me: not too cumbersome, nor too tiny. I like a versatile wheel but I also like a wide enough contact patch to stay gripped on smoother surfaces. I don't like my wheels to feel narrow like I'm on tic tacs

OG Classics look like too hefty of a wheel (maybe it's in my head) so I'm apprehensive to try those. If radial is adjacent to C/CF in my ideal or slightly larger sizes, then I'm interested. If not, maybe I'll pass. If they roll over curbs and coping easier that sounds like a win. Sometimes my C/CFs take more effort to roll over to initiate the lock in the longer I skate them.

Wanted a decent/close substitute since CF/C 99d 53/54mm sells out often from most shops I've seen in the last couple years.

I will say that I cannot stand Spitfire's Classic shape or any other brand that makes a wheel shape like that.  Absolutely terrible riding surface width, doesn't stay locked in/rolls out of locked grinds prematurely, doesn't slide that well (for me it seems), and they just look weird to me. Anyone else feel that way?

no. just no man. fuck no.

classics are the best.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #7068 on: November 04, 2023, 03:32:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

no. just no man. fuck no.

classics are the best.

Someone, please, gnar this man.

Classics forever!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7069 on: November 04, 2023, 04:26:59 PM »
I like classics. I just prefer the og. It's definitely the best shape. Its light for it's size
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7070 on: November 04, 2023, 04:39:52 PM »
I like classics. I just prefer the og. It's definitely the best shape. Its light for it's size

never skated the og’s.
had to have classics, in the 60 size, when we saw ee3.

here’s part of my beef with big wide wheels: imma still skate slow as shit cuz i’m scared. so then it looks like i’m the type of person that needs to open carry, just in case. got the 4x4 truck to drive to the grocery store. just in case. wearing rain boots, you never know.
like i want to be about it. i, very sadly, am not, bout it bout it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7071 on: November 04, 2023, 05:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The funny thing with wheel shape is very much down to personal opinion.  How people skate really makes a huge difference to product choice / wheel shape too, which I realised when I skated quite a few different shapes just to see what they were like / to compare what worked and what didn't on different things.

I have some of pretty much everything, shape wise, even using a grinder to reshape wheels to make them a little more comfortable for me, but it is interesting that I have had to change wheels (or get out a different board with other wheels on it) for some sessions.

Quite simply Classics and the rounder edge wheels will definitely get on and off coping or edges more easily than more square or sharp edge profile wheels, including OG Classics, Conical shapes, but this changes through the life of the wheel too, so a well worn wheel will perform differently to a brand new wheel, some shapes more than others.

I think I prefer wheels around 54-56 mm, but I have wheels down to 50 on some boards, and as big as 60 on other boards.  In general a slightly more round edge with a wider riding surface works best, so maybe something like Radials are an excellent wheel choice as an all rounder for me, but even Classics worn down a few mm are about right, especially the bigger ones that wear down to a more comfortable size and I have had a lot of Classic Full shaped wheels in the past, mainly 56 mm which are 37 mm wide.

Skating Conical Full 53 and 54 mm from new just feels weird for some reason, but once they have worn down a bit and hit with the grinder, they are pretty much perfect for what I want too.  As it is the most common shape people I know ride now, I get a lot of them swapped back in after wearing them down a mm or two, so that is what I have mostly on my usual boards for the last couple of years.

For a couple of parks that were a little more slippery on the coping (yeah people waxed coping on the bowl) I found I needed the 54 mm Conical Full wheels from new to not slip out as much, as the 56 mm Classics I was riding there just didn't hold on enough, so a little more grip from the squared profile wheels can help in some situations.

Classics under 54 mm always felt too thin for me, but I know other people who are all about the 52 mm Classics, some even going down to 50 or 51 for the thinner profile wheel on very tech type setups.

All the other shapes do have their uses, so I understand why people will prefer certain wheels over others, especially if they can explain what they prefer, or why some wheels work better and some wheels are just not for them too.

That is not even getting into the different duro options now too, but the normal 99 duro is just the best all rounder, the 101s often feeling just a bit funny, but the 97s pretty much perfect for some situations too, where grip or not slipping out is a must, but again that is just my take on duro optoins in the Formula Four wheels. 

I also have other wheels in 90 and 92 duro which are great on so many things as a cruiser / softer option, then other wheels that just make no sense to me at all with some of the compounds, being too slippery on wood or metal but being too grippy on raw concrete or bitumen roads - not naming brands or wheel manufacturers, but I can easily see why Spitfire and Bones are thought to be the two main (and only) options for a lot of people.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7072 on: November 04, 2023, 06:14:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The funny thing with wheel shape is very much down to personal opinion.  How people skate really makes a huge difference to product choice / wheel shape too, which I realised when I skated quite a few different shapes just to see what they were like / to compare what worked and what didn't on different things.

I have some of pretty much everything, shape wise, even using a grinder to reshape wheels to make them a little more comfortable for me, but it is interesting that I have had to change wheels (or get out a different board with other wheels on it) for some sessions.

Quite simply Classics and the rounder edge wheels will definitely get on and off coping or edges more easily than more square or sharp edge profile wheels, including OG Classics, Conical shapes, but this changes through the life of the wheel too, so a well worn wheel will perform differently to a brand new wheel, some shapes more than others.

I think I prefer wheels around 54-56 mm, but I have wheels down to 50 on some boards, and as big as 60 on other boards.  In general a slightly more round edge with a wider riding surface works best, so maybe something like Radials are an excellent wheel choice as an all rounder for me, but even Classics worn down a few mm are about right, especially the bigger ones that wear down to a more comfortable size and I have had a lot of Classic Full shaped wheels in the past, mainly 56 mm which are 37 mm wide.

Skating Conical Full 53 and 54 mm from new just feels weird for some reason, but once they have worn down a bit and hit with the grinder, they are pretty much perfect for what I want too.  As it is the most common shape people I know ride now, I get a lot of them swapped back in after wearing them down a mm or two, so that is what I have mostly on my usual boards for the last couple of years.

For a couple of parks that were a little more slippery on the coping (yeah people waxed coping on the bowl) I found I needed the 54 mm Conical Full wheels from new to not slip out as much, as the 56 mm Classics I was riding there just didn't hold on enough, so a little more grip from the squared profile wheels can help in some situations.

Classics under 54 mm always felt too thin for me, but I know other people who are all about the 52 mm Classics, some even going down to 50 or 51 for the thinner profile wheel on very tech type setups.

All the other shapes do have their uses, so I understand why people will prefer certain wheels over others, especially if they can explain what they prefer, or why some wheels work better and some wheels are just not for them too.

That is not even getting into the different duro options now too, but the normal 99 duro is just the best all rounder, the 101s often feeling just a bit funny, but the 97s pretty much perfect for some situations too, where grip or not slipping out is a must, but again that is just my take on duro optoins in the Formula Four wheels. 

I also have other wheels in 90 and 92 duro which are great on so many things as a cruiser / softer option, then other wheels that just make no sense to me at all with some of the compounds, being too slippery on wood or metal but being too grippy on raw concrete or bitumen roads - not naming brands or wheel manufacturers, but I can easily see why Spitfire and Bones are thought to be the two main (and only) options for a lot of people.

I agree. I get stuck to some stuff front nose mostly. I just hit it from a different angle like a thunder. Try to leave a little room between the wheels and the sticky block.

I frickin slammed tonight. Earlier too. That one was funny.

This one I got a legit swellbow.

Cab accidental switch Manny infinity pivot to back.
(A)pl(E)

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7073 on: November 04, 2023, 07:43:25 PM »
Did I read a couple of posts back that 58mm X99's were out??

If they did a 57/58mm V6 X99 that would be me set.

I can't get enough of the X99 formula. So versatile for everything. Fast and and lively just the right amount of grip/slip for me. I do wonder how that formula would feel in 101A - maybe the fastest wheel on earth. But I suppose that's what SPF's are for...

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #7074 on: November 05, 2023, 04:08:34 AM »

I don't know where you are in Europe but up here in Scandinavia we're not paying 70 euros for F4 wheels. More like 55 € on the average. Still pricey, but no way I'm gonna pay 70 € for a set of any wheel.
Up here in scandinavia, sweden, f4's are 76 €, or 84 for 57 mm and up.

rikki

« Reply #7075 on: November 05, 2023, 06:14:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Must be the bad rate of the krone. They're considerably cheaper where I live (not Sweden).

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #7076 on: November 05, 2023, 09:39:49 PM »
What's been your most durable and overall best functioning cruiser wheel? I skated the Oj super juices twice, both times they chunked fast so I wont get them again. Keyframes felt a bit too hard for my taste. Is there any soft wheel that actually has lasted you at least a year or two? Paying full price for wheels that last you one summer just cruising feels like a scam.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #7077 on: November 05, 2023, 10:05:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Must be the bad rate of the krone. They're considerably cheaper where I live (not Sweden).
Based on your handle you’re here in Finland, and yeah most brick and mortar shops have them at 49-55€ but in blue tomato they’re 70€…
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 10:17:46 PM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

AdditionalSlip

• Rep: -27
« Reply #7078 on: November 06, 2023, 03:18:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Based on your handle you’re here in Finland, and yeah most brick and mortar shops have them at 49-55€ but in blue tomato they’re 70€…

In france they just went up, they were originally 55€, they were 68€ for a bit, and now its 73€ on the last 2 drops…

I see a lot more oj, dialtone, haze and satori wheels now than a year ago

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7079 on: November 06, 2023, 07:33:18 AM »
What's been your most durable and overall best functioning cruiser wheel? I skated the Oj super juices twice, both times they chunked fast so I wont get them again. Keyframes felt a bit too hard for my taste. Is there any soft wheel that actually has lasted you at least a year or two? Paying full price for wheels that last you one summer just cruising feels like a scam.

i've stuck with rough riders after similar issues/preferences you listed and have been happy enough