Author Topic: Primitive Progressivism - Racism, the industry, Jason Jesse - Free Skate Mag  (Read 12096 times)

TMKF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
I've been skating for over 25 years and Jason Jesse means absolutely nothing to me so I couldn't care less about the guy. In all honesty I think the only reason he became whatever he did is because he has a cool name that rolls off the tongue and was easily marketable as a "bad boy". I'm not sure who out there is buying any product because of his name anyway, maybe I'm missing something. That said this article to me read like complete garbage, even if I agree with some of the sentiments. It came off as not only immature and unintelligent but also unreasonable and exaggerated. Sadly by the writer's definition I should now be labeled a "nazi" for this opinion, which to does nothing but water down the term at the end of the day. A "nazi" or a racist is not someone who simply disagrees with an opinion or a sentiment but someone who inherently hates another human being for no reason other than who they are, which is disgusting and abhorrent.

Jason Jesse certainly doesn't define skateboarding, and frankly neither does Kyle Beachy nor any single person.
[close]

pretty much what i was thinking too

he made this huge point about craig stecyk like his writing is some bible that is foundational to skate culture when i'm pretty sure most skater wouldn't know what he's referencing.

Skateboarding consumed my life for 20 years and still does largely aside from my family and two daughters and to be honest I've never even heard of this Craig Stecyk person. Guess I'm not as much of a skate nerd as I thought...

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been skating for over 25 years and Jason Jesse means absolutely nothing to me so I couldn't care less about the guy. In all honesty I think the only reason he became whatever he did is because he has a cool name that rolls off the tongue and was easily marketable as a "bad boy". I'm not sure who out there is buying any product because of his name anyway, maybe I'm missing something. That said this article to me read like complete garbage, even if I agree with some of the sentiments. It came off as not only immature and unintelligent but also unreasonable and exaggerated. Sadly by the writer's definition I should now be labeled a "nazi" for this opinion, which to does nothing but water down the term at the end of the day. A "nazi" or a racist is not someone who simply disagrees with an opinion or a sentiment but someone who inherently hates another human being for no reason other than who they are, which is disgusting and abhorrent.

Jason Jesse certainly doesn't define skateboarding, and frankly neither does Kyle Beachy nor any single person.
[close]

pretty much what i was thinking too

he made this huge point about craig stecyk like his writing is some bible that is foundational to skate culture when i'm pretty sure most skater wouldn't know what he's referencing.
[close]

Skateboarding consumed my life for 20 years and still does largely aside from my family and two daughters and to be honest I've never even heard of this Craig Stecyk person. Guess I'm not as much of a skate nerd as I thought...
In modern times Stecyks blurbs were used more than his actual stories, there's tons of little poetic one liners you've probably heard a bunch of times and just didn't know they were from him, the most famous is "two hundred years of american technology has unwittingly created a massive cement playground of unlimited potential. but it was the minds of 11 year olds that ..." And a lot of it centers around the whole skateboarders look at the world differently than anyone else. A lot of the old Powell ads used his writing and quotes, he was the kinda Warhol Factory type character of 80s Powell Peralta, he shot photos, made art, worked on videos, I'm sure he had one of those jobs where he was just paid to be around and be creative at Powell. He also seemed like the dude that would screen boards or run a sander in the factory if someone called in sick.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
stecyk was nearly 30 years old, partying with teenagers and taking half naked pictures of them outside abandoned houses
so he was Fat Bill before Fat Bill then yeah?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2550
Expand Quote
Why is pointing out that this person has a long history of making racist remarks, using Nazi symbols, and associating with white supremacists a "smear campaign"?
[close]

Because he's not a Nazi.............He just an idiot...........

Ok, so the facts are that he is an idiot, and has a long history of making racist remarks, using Nazi symbols, and associating with white supremacists. Glad we cleared up that smear campaign bs and will be sticking to the facts from now on.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
Expand Quote
Why is pointing out that this person has a long history of making racist remarks, using Nazi symbols, and associating with white supremacists a "smear campaign"?
[close]

Because he's not a Nazi.............He just an idiot...........
tomato tomato

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This one is a must read. Free and their associates have been coming with such quality skate journalism these days, I'm so happy to see that it's still alive.

Writing by Kyle Beachy

http://www.freeskatemag.com/2018/06/05/primitive-progressivism-by-kyle-beachy/
[close]

Skate journalism is so bad it’s not hard to be good if you give real thought to something. This still is an industry of high school dropouts after all.
[close]

I for one think Burnett’s your articles that are all about the contextless and esoteric inside jokes made in a tour vans by a group of pot-tards deserving of a pulitzer
That Zero tour article he went on that he turned into a Spring Break party adventure,but was actually super serious, was great.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7

This 100%

JohnOakley

• Rep: -6
The importance placed on Stecyk's writing in that article must seem totally irrelevant to 80% of the skateboard population. I started in 1988 and only learnt about him retrospectively many many years later. The article seems like it was written for a college assignment and trying super hard to be academic when it really only needed to say that the companies that employ Jessee were fucking stupid for backing somebody who was such a liability.
"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll have a look"

meadowsoprano

• Rep: -4
I like that someone called out the "Pyramid" but free skate is a euro mag. They probably aren't linked closely to "The industry" like other publications who passed or pulled the article.

They definitely suck the swoosh dick hard. Trust me.

BarbaraStreisand

• Rep: -12
Good article and good to finally read someone from the "media industry" taking a position.

My point tho is, wasn't skateboarding your first place to be completely out of this bullshit?

Isn't skateboarding about tricks and actually riding a skateboard?

Or at least, we never cared about what else was going on, if there's really something going on, behind the scenes.

I believe that skateboarding is as dirty as any other industry but we tried to keep it as clear or untouched from outside politics or PCness or excess.

I mean, we forgave Corey Duffel's teenagers remarks on race, because as bummed as we were on his words we really wanted to see the kid skate and nothing more.

Is it necessary now to raise our pitchforks and fires and run after the non PC's?

Are we so sure to be politically correct altogether? As persons and as skateboarders?

I won't accept any Nazi promoting from skaters that I like but I won't blacklist what their skateboarding is saying to me.

Hence, is ok to maker sure that idiot Nazi wannabe Jason Jessee learns that what he's doing is not cool but I think that if we dig deep into the correctness of things nowadays there's no one that will come out clean.

brbraaah.

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
The fact people keep calling this situation an attempt at being “pc” is frustrating.

Everything is “political”, whether you choose to understand that or ignore it, skateboarding and everyone in it has been political for all time.

Politically correct is a term created by conservatives to stifle adaptation and progress in thought/values, particularly in lower to middle class, traditionally white areas.

Pretty gross to see a racist huckster like Sam Hyde get shine on slap.

zanussi

• Rep: 1
Good article and good to finally read someone from the "media industry" taking a position.

My point tho is, wasn't skateboarding your first place to be completely out of this bullshit?

Or at least, we never cared about what else was going on, if there's really something going on, behind the scenes.

I believe that skateboarding is as dirty as any other industry but we tried to keep it as clear or untouched from outside politics or PCness or excess.

I mean, we forgave Corey Duffel's teenagers remarks on race, because as bummed as we were on his words we really wanted to see the kid skate and nothing more.

Is it necessary now to raise our pitchforks and fires and run after the non PC's?

Are we so sure to be politically correct altogether? As persons and as skateboarders?

I won't accept any Nazi promoting from skaters that I like but I won't blacklist what their skateboarding is saying to me.

Hence, is ok to maker sure that idiot Nazi wannabe Jason Jessee learns that what he's doing is not cool but I think that if we dig deep into the correctness of things nowadays there's no one that will come out clean.

No matter what pureness of fun we might have on our local curb in the middle of nowhere, remaining silent on important issues or ignoring this corporate complicity is to accept it as perfectly fine and allow it to continue.

You can be a punk without being corrupt or morally repugnant. 
You can strive for simplicity without being reductive.

It's a duty for those who agree it's time for change in skateboarding - not just at individual company level, but at an industrial and cultural level - to act on it.

It's time for the beached whales to rot in the sun.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Dotted all the I’s and crossed all the t’s. Good job
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

BarbaraStreisand

• Rep: -12
Expand Quote

[close]

No matter what pureness of fun we might have on our local curb in the middle of nowhere, remaining silent on important issues or ignoring this corporate complicity is to accept it as perfectly fine and allow it to continue.

You can be a punk without being corrupt or morally repugnant. 
You can strive for simplicity without being reductive.

It's a duty for those who agree it's time for change in skateboarding - not just at individual company level, but at an industrial and cultural level - to act on it.

It's time for the beached whales to rot in the sun.

As far as I'd love to see this happening, WE as human beings are a plague to the planet.

So yeah, let's make sure dumb and ignorant shit is not pushed and promoted in our world.

But we are not going to change skateboarding because it's ran by industry heads that have not the same drive as we do.

That's why we have to support DLX for example, because I can bet anything that Jim T will look first for the sake of skateboarding than it's own, but at the end of the day he's not giving everyone free boards because it's the market. He will have to survive. His family too.

Of course since we allowed corporate brand to enter our thing, we are as corrupt as we can imagine.

The swoosh is a powerful symbol than any other. It means power over people's interest and over the good will.

It means MASS BUSINESS and that is not ethic. At all.
brbraaah.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
There is no meaning to skateboarding. A skateboard is just a  board with wheels attached to it. We give it our own meaning when we interact with it.

And you don't have to outwardly hate somebody to be racist or participate in racism. The idea that racism is just a hatred of others is incomplete. Its systemic, and about oppressing others. You can even be racist without knowing it by participating and perpetuating systems of oppression.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

HungUp

• Rep: 40
If you think this outrage shit is a little long in the tooth and you haven't seen this yet, you're blowing it.

TEDx is the worst idea TED ever had so they kind of deserved this. But for real though, fuck this troll-culture dipshit Nazi sympathizer. People are impressed by the stupidest shit. What does this guy actually contribute beyond validating the anger of a bunch of incel, future school shooters and a shitty Andy Kaufman rip? He's the 4 chan version of a "just a prank bro" video come to life. The irony of these kooks thinking that "libtards" are self-congratulatory and smug is the peak of their comedy.

D. Bag

Expand Quote
If you think this outrage shit is a little long in the tooth and you haven't seen this yet, you're blowing it.

[close]
TEDx is the worst idea TED ever had so they kind of deserved this. But for real though, fuck this troll-culture dipshit Nazi sympathizer. People are impressed by the stupidest shit. What does this guy actually contribute beyond validating the anger of a bunch of incel, future school shooters and a shitty Andy Kaufman rip? He's the 4 chan version of a "just a prank bro" video come to life. The irony of these kooks thinking that "libtards" are self-congratulatory and smug is the peak of their comedy.

Somebody has some anger issues.

Schneaumunn

• Rep: 19
  • Stop needlin’ me you prick!
stecyk was nearly 30 years old, partying with teenagers and taking half naked pictures of them outside abandoned houses

almost every skate photo he ever had published was a bail

100% con man

General Jonez, you are just the worst.

The look and feel of hand tooled leather

HungUp

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Somebody has some anger issues.

Expect the dude is LITERALLY a Nazi you fucking person. I was just being generous calling him a "sympathizer" Assuming that his seig heils and friendships with Nazis are "just for the lulz"

I'm sure he donated $5k to the Dailystormer dude just to "troll the cucks" got em!
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-daily-stormer-20170602-story.html

Hangin with Weev doing a "Roman salute"

Weev showing off his "Buddhist symbol of peace"

It's all just a joke bro!  Definitely not just a way to deflect any attacks against him being a racist piece of shit.

So are you an actual Nazi too or just a dumbfuck who can't use the google?

Noam Chomsky

• Rep: -23
If you find yourself offended by a Comedian, you are probably the punch line.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Sam Hyde is a garbage fire who got his show cancelled off of Adult Swim after one season. You trolls can keep posting his shit and we will keep telling you he's terrible.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Noam Chomsky

• Rep: -23
How can Sam Hyde be a Nazi when he "loves jews"?

HungUp

If you find yourself offended by a Comedian, you are probably the punch line.
How can Sam Hyde be a Nazi when he "loves jews"?

Fuckin whoosh.

It's all just a joke bro!  Definitely not just a way to deflect any attacks against him being a racist piece of shit.

No but really, thanks for redpilling me bro! I guess I just got triggered, typical SJW. This is hilarious stuff. That fact that I didn’t understand that him donating money to white nationalists was just an extension of this same kind of joke just shows how brainwashed I am by PC culture.  That’s almost the same kind of high level satire you could expect from a right wing reactionary dickhead who uses a left wing socialist academic as their handle. Someday my balls will drop and I can be clever too. Until then I guess I’m just a punchline.

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
i appreciate y'alls intentions but there's no point in arguing with the Sam Hyde fucks. They all watch the althype and believe in ethically cleansing the united states. The "we're just pretending to be white supremacists because its funny" it's a trick literally written into the daily stormer's style guide:

"Lulz

The tone should be light.

Most people are not comfortable with material that comes off as vitriolic, raging, non-ironic hatred.

The unindoctrinated should not be able to tell if we are joking or not. There should also be a conscious awareness of mocking stereotypes of hateful racists. I usually think of this as self-deprecating humor - I am a racist making fun of stereotype of racists, because I don't take myself super seriously.

This is obviously a ploy and I actually do want to gas the k***s. But that's neither here nor there."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/daily-stormer-nazi-style-guide_us_5a2ece19e4b0ce3b344492f2

Don't feed the trolls.
(sometimes bigboi is ok cause he's so stupid he makes everyone supportive of Jason Jessee look like a moron)

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
why don't we just IP ban these double digit IQ 4chan posters

nothing to be gained from having a bunch of edgelords on a skate forum. just makes us all look bad

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
jews rock is like a sub-sub-sub wonder showzen sketch from the cutting room floor
the only funny thing about sam hyde is how fucking pathetic he is, dude is an absolute loser, he got his adult swim show cancelled because he couldn't keep his terrible ass opinions to himself

BigBoi

y'alls

Not sure whats worse. The 4chans trolling or the libs posting weblinks on "How to spot a Nazi".

Stop making music right now. Its not for you

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2550
Yeah, what's worse, racists or people pointing out the racists? A question only a normal, non-racist person would ask.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
jews rock is like a sub-sub-sub wonder showzen sketch from the cutting room floor
the only funny thing about sam hyde is how fucking pathetic he is, dude is an absolute loser, he got his adult swim show cancelled because he couldn't keep his terrible ass opinions to himself

yea the dude is a total hack, his shit is so goddamn boring. That TEDX thing should have been funny but it wasn't at all because he's a terrible fucking actor and stumbled his way through it.

It's just Tim and Eric for people who think calling someone gay is funny as fuck