Author Topic: Marie Dabbadie - Is skateboarding still norm breaking?  (Read 10829 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Marie Dabbadie - Is skateboarding still norm breaking?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2018, 11:52:13 PM »
A thought, can we just call the gender non binary people ladyboys? And call the existing ladyboys girls? Cause I'm not about to say gender non binary when talkin about someone. That shit does not roll off the tounge at all, real shit.

Also I think maries pretty hot, but she's, he's (see what I'm sayin) is coming off as kinda a dick.
We've got a regular Jordan Petersson over here.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 12:22:37 AM »
Good one berra, ain't fallin for it though.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 04:00:12 AM »
so this is cool, but my mongo push is wack?

unfair

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 04:46:18 AM »
she making herself out to be the victim and blaming the skateboard community because she has gender issues that dont align with her?

To answer your question, no.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 05:33:19 AM »
Choosing "Marie" as a non binary genderqueen name is not very norm breaking if you ask me. I would have pick something way more experimental or spicy honestly if i had the choice.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 05:46:18 AM »
You definitely still have the choice to change your name to something more experimental and spicy! (Unless you were just making fun of someone's identity, in which case, please stick with your manly man name)
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 07:26:20 AM »
this has to stop, identity politics is a joke

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2018, 11:54:43 AM »
"this has to stop, identity politics is a joke" the man shouts, amongst 20 or so other men, before leaving for the skatepark to play skateboards with a different group of men, completely unaware of the irony.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Damn, skateboarding hella late on intersectionality in third-wave feminism
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
People need to stop bullshiting. Too much pressure is always gonna backfire or explode.

Expand Quote
"this has to stop, identity politics is a joke" the man shouts, amongst 20 or so other men, before leaving for the skatepark to play skateboards with a different group of men, completely unaware of the irony.
[close]
You doin more harm than good for you cause. Don't nobody wanna hear about privilege from people acting like complete privileged bitches.

Shits getting outta hand nowdays.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
  It is to most people but in a super corny way.  Skating is like the wizard of oz.   (edit I didn't read the article)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
People need to stop bullshiting. Too much pressure is always gonna backfire or explode.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
You doin more harm than good for you cause. Don't nobody wanna hear about privilege from people acting like complete privileged bitches.

Haha, from the guy all over this forum for the last two months acting like a complete bitch.

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2018, 03:57:57 PM »
she's trying to stir up drama by making herself victim and blame others

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Haha, from the guy all over this forum for the last two months acting like a complete bitch.
How so? What do you got to say.

shark tits

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2018, 04:10:24 PM »
it's not like she was close to the 900 and purposely was kept out the best trick contest. post your footage marie da baddie. if it rips, it ships. if it sucks, i'll bury you under the jail [i'm wearing my robe today].

revfredmorton

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it's not like she was close to the 900 and purposely was kept out the best trick contest. post your footage marie da baddie. if it rips, it ships. if it sucks, i'll bury you under the jail [i'm wearing my robe today].

i suck her dick if she do 900

revfredmorton

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
why it get mad a cis dudes for taking off shirt?

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
"Making skateboarding more safe" is a little problematic for me.

On one hand, I understand and agree that skate scenes would benefit by being more welcoming to "others," and to this point I think our little adolescent enclave has made some huge strides, if only just recently. Girl skaters are proliferating rapidly--really rapidly, if Instagram is any indicator--and seem to be vibing well and getting respect and admiration among kids and in vital pockets of the industry. A lot of the grassroots type groups Dabbadie mentions are doing a great job fostering an environment for young girls and queer people. They are Doing It Themselves. Millennial skaters are pretty good about this shit. It's not the 90s, we aren't EMB locs or Phelpsian hellriders, and people at the skateparks (most female skateboarding seems to be going on at skateparks, the reasons for which could be easily deduced) tolerate harassment or discrimination less and less.

On the other hand, skateboarding is inherently unsafe (and not just in the obvious sense of throwing our bodies onto, off, and over shit). Chaos and improvisation are integral to the good session. Mischief and Bakeresque hijinx abound. Street skating is dangerous. With or without skateboarders, the streets are hectic. This is part of the game and there is a point, I think, where PC scolding and skate scene babyproofing begin to take the piss out of this shitheeled thing that we enjoy doing for whatever reason.

*Edit - It's not a sesh if I don't get to take my cis dude shirt off. ^
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:49:49 PM by Peter Zagreus »

revfredmorton

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2018, 09:48:47 PM »
if she want to be part of the skate scene, she need to integrate herself in it, not sit there bitching and wait for people to cum to her

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2018, 01:46:35 AM »
skaters don't accept skaters. we're insecure pussies who judge each other on clothes or personal ergonomics while performing the 10 or so tricks everyone does.
we're not revolutionary, nor do have we ever been particularly 'inclusive'.
don't feel comfortable at a skatepark? skate a street spot.  be the change you wanna see, don't try to force people to like you.
be a good example and people will like you for you.

this.
Me, I don't like hanging round teenagers or crowded parks. So I go to the park in the morning or skate street! Well when my old ass actually does skate, but that's another story.
Anyone who was around in the 90's knows the scene was not "inclusive". Nor welcoming. People vibed you for the wrong shirt, wrong trick whatever. People skating did it because they really wanted to, they had to, and nothing was going to stop them. And that's why it was rad.
Forget your safe spaces. Life isn't "safe". Fuck I'm starting to sound as old as my profile pic....

Also with all these new words it's actually getting hard to follow. Can someone explain:
- is a gay dude still a "cis man"?
- what does this mean??   "We can maybe consider introducing pronoun rounds like Skate Like a Girl at the beginning of women and queer sessions. "
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:12:25 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2018, 04:57:07 AM »

If you were able to figure out how to call skate tricks properly you should be able to use the correct non-binary genre terms - you only have to care.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2018, 05:31:57 AM »
if you're a straight white dude in America

He's not, but he's also not showing much understanding for these groups.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2018, 06:19:35 AM »
Genderqueer: A term for people who reject notions of static categories of gender and embrace a fluidity of gender identity and often, though not always, sexual orientation.

Why the fuck would you create a new category for people who reject the notion of static category? that's offensive, the gender identity organization pushing that kind of branding need to apologize to themselves.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2018, 06:33:38 AM »

If you were able to figure out how to call skate tricks properly you should be able to use the correct non-binary genre terms - you only have to care.

I see. Cause if I don't use the correct terms, that means I don't care, and that means I am transophobic/homophobic/prejudiced/whatever?
This is exactly why I don't have much "understanding for these groups". They operate in a with us or against us way. And trying to dictate vocabulary is straight Orwellian.

Also now it's established I am not a "straight white dude in America", am I allowed to have an opinion? This is exactly the problem with identity politics. What you can say depends on who you are, there is no "equality".

Let me tell you this: I was an adopted kid. Do I expect everyone to understand the "cause" of adoptee rights? and "care"? Should I ask to be called, not an adoptee, but an "ethnically displaced person"? Should I hate all women forever because my birthmother abandonned me? No, fuck this victim bullshit.

I might be getting carried away here but it really pains me to see causes I used to support become totalitarian.

shark tits

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2018, 06:55:18 AM »
i don't like the term 'white male'. i want to be referred to as 'appalachian american'. thank you.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2018, 07:08:01 AM »
that is one sick picture at Southbank, makes me think of the good old days of RAD Magazine.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:45 AM »
Am I gonna have to go up to every girl or non-cis looking person at the park with a check list of the various things I do at the park (cheering, cussing, spitting, smacking my tail when someone lands something sick, throwing my board, loud powerslides etc) and ask them what items on the list are threatening to them so I can avoid those things? Am I gonna get kicked out of the park on my day off because I'm a big hairy dude and it's a girls only skate thing? How much coddling do these people need?

Skateparks are intimidating when you're first starting. Developing the courage to skate with other people you don't know is something we all had to do.

But am I completely wrong about everything because I'm a dude?
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

shark tits

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2018, 07:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I see. Cause if I don't use the correct terms, that means I don't care, and that means I am transophobic/homophobic/prejudiced/whatever?
This is exactly why I don't have much "understanding for these groups". They operate in a with us or against us way. And trying to dictate vocabulary is straight Orwellian.

Also now it's established I am not a "straight white dude in America", am I allowed to have an opinion? This is exactly the problem with identity politics. What you can say depends on who you are, there is no "equality".

Let me tell you this: I was an adopted kid. Do I expect everyone to understand the "cause" of adoptee rights? and "care"? Should I ask to be called, not an adoptee, but an "ethnically displaced person"? Should I hate all women forever because my birthmother abandonned me? No, fuck this victim bullshit.

I might be getting carried away here but it really pains me to see causes I used to support become totalitarian.
[close]

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I feel like you're putting words into my mouth. Most people just want to be left alone without comments about their body or racial epitaphs.
here lies dead honky

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2018, 07:52:01 AM »
I remember an Ed Templeton interview years ago where he said something along the lines of “There is the same ratio of jocks in skateboarding as there are in football”

Skating seemed like it was a rebel culture, nobody liked us, what we did, the clothes we wore, or the music we listened to. 

we made do with that and and became pretty insular. 

One difference i think with Ed’s (old) opinion is whereas team sports don’t really value individuality, in skateboarding it was not only accepted, it was kind of enforced to a certain extent.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

casper

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »
Two things I’ve learned from 26 years of skateboarding
1. Skateparks suck
2. Not everyone that rides a skateboard is going to be my friend.