Author Topic: JASON DILL OUTS HIMSELF AS A NARCISSIST, AGAIN.  (Read 95804 times)

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
Re: JASON DILL OUTS HIMSELF AS A NARCISSIST, AGAIN.
« Reply #570 on: February 25, 2020, 09:27:30 AM »
Jenkem is no good now, people are just in denial of it.

I wrote jenkem off after the caleb barnett shit. Theyre just going for shock value and that whole shtick is dried up

Ocelot

« Reply #571 on: February 25, 2020, 10:03:45 AM »
lol asking dill why he left workshop

he tried to treat the segment like a "conservative owns lib compilation"

dooley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #572 on: February 25, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wrote jenkem off after the caleb barnett shit. Theyre just going for shock value and that whole shtick is dried up
It's now basically a platform for plugging shit that's supposed to be "cool" or somehow deemed "underground", but everything they do smells bad.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #573 on: February 25, 2020, 08:38:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It's now basically a platform for plugging shit that's supposed to be "cool" or somehow deemed "underground", but everything they do smells bad.
I know I'm biased since I'm the one who filmed and uploaded the talk, but the way Jenkem embedded it at the top of their article without any acknowledgement that it's not their video seems pretty unscrupulous.

They also embedded some of the IG posts from this thread but didn't credit those IG users.* A friend of mine replied to their story asking about not crediting the video source and they replied "U know who filmed it his insta? Tried to find"

Not sure why they were "trying to find" my insta to credit a youtube video, but between Lawrence Lanza's pulitzer coverage of a video he watched, and Jenkem's social media team's acumen for navigating the source of social media content, I think it's safe to say that they have made the decision to go with the clicks>credibility business model.

*Edit: it looks like they did credit the IG handles at the end of the article, just not in image captions, as per best practice standards
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:18:28 AM by chuck d »

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #574 on: February 25, 2020, 09:40:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I know I'm biased since I'm the one who filmed and uploaded the talk, but the way Jenkem embedded it at the top of their article without any acknowledgement that it's not their video seems pretty unscrupulous.

They also embedded some of the IG posts from this thread but didn't credit those IG users. A friend of mine replied to their story asking about not crediting the source and they replied "U know who filmed it his insta? Tried to find"

Not sure why they were "trying to find" my insta to credit a youtube video, but between Lawrence Lanza's pulitzer coverage of a video he watched, and Jenkem's social media team's acumen for navigating the source of social media content, I think it's safe to say that they have made the decision to go with the clicks>credibility business model.
They jacked your video? That's fucking weak.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #575 on: February 25, 2020, 09:52:19 PM »
I'm not really bummed on it. I mostly use my youtube account to upload things for friends, I'm not trying to be a youtuber. I was just verifying the sentiment in this thread that Jenkem isn't even trying anymore. Maybe they are trying the Huffington Post model, but without attribution? I dunno, whatever.

That being said, it's really hard to resist the urge to change the thumbnail on the video that is featured at the top of their article..

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #576 on: February 25, 2020, 10:01:50 PM »
You've a legitimate reason to be upset, those fuckers took your video because they're too cheap to pay to have the event filmed, but still wanted to generate traffic to get paid. Some shameless bullshit.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1262
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #577 on: February 25, 2020, 10:28:17 PM »

Expand Quote
Hey guys! Today's video is about my experience hearing Jason Dill speak at ASU and a little bit of footage of the event! Hope you enjoy :) also excuse how messy I look lol
[close]

lpq, thank you. I need her in my life.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: February 25, 2020, 10:30:50 PM »
You've a legitimate reason to be upset, those fuckers took your video because they're too cheap to pay to have the event filmed, but still wanted to generate traffic to get paid. Some shameless bullshit.

If I were hurting for cash, I would probably change the video thumbnail to just "FUCK JENKEM" or something that would make them take it off their site. Tbh, though I'm happy more people are seeing the lecture. Dill said his intent was to speak to as many people as possible who are interested in shit he has made. Some of those people are friends of mine who couldn't make it there, so I recorded it with them in mind, but I'm sure there are lots more people who wish they could have been there as well.
I definitely have some opinions about the industry exploiting skateboarders though, and those opinions extend to all the younger photogs whose work is requisitioned without compensation.
If they want to send me a check, I'll donate it to https://www.skateafterschool.org/

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #579 on: February 25, 2020, 10:41:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If I were hurting for cash, I would probably change the video thumbnail to just "FUCK JENKEM" or something that would make them take it off their site. Tbh, though I'm happy more people are seeing the lecture. Dill said his intent was to speak to as many people as possible who are interested in shit he has made. Some of those people are friends of mine who couldn't make it there, so I recorded it with them in mind, but I'm sure there are lots more people who wish they could have been there as well.
I definitely have some opinions about the industry exploiting skateboarders though, and those opinions extend to all the younger photogs whose work is requisitioned without compensation.
If they want to send me a check, I'll donate it to https://www.skateafterschool.org/
Less about how much, but the principal. Fuck Jenkem still, but you're the better man. Quite noble.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #580 on: February 26, 2020, 08:18:40 AM »
I like to browse Jenkem’s Staff Picks when I feel short on pretension.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #581 on: February 26, 2020, 08:26:54 AM »
I'm not really bummed on it. I mostly use my youtube account to upload things for friends, I'm not trying to be a youtuber. I was just verifying the sentiment in this thread that Jenkem isn't even trying anymore. Maybe they are trying the Huffington Post model, but without attribution? I dunno, whatever.

That being said, it's really hard to resist the urge to change the thumbnail on the video that is featured at the top of their article..

I really hope you do! Fuck them, stealing your video's weak.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #582 on: February 26, 2020, 08:34:56 AM »
Look at their shitty page - Dill's lecture (jacked footage), Rowans's ugly shoes, oh boy, what else!? Put'em in the sky.

Agnarnomous

« Reply #583 on: February 26, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
Jenkem is just an ideological echo chamber pretending to be an edgy underground media outlet at this point. I used to really enjoy their content too, such a bummer.

DieuNousPréserve

• Rep: -2
« Reply #584 on: February 26, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »
Thanks for uploading that lecture. I was really curious about what he had to say. Pretty cool he stuck around for photo ops also. Speaking to a group that large is daunting.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #585 on: February 26, 2020, 11:11:01 AM »
Not daunting when you spend years lecturing a pile of DVS shoes high on crack at 4 am.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: February 26, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #587 on: February 26, 2020, 12:12:48 PM »

Dill's gradual transformation into a porcelain doll of himself is nearly complete

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #588 on: February 26, 2020, 12:25:13 PM »
Let's not forget the sexual harassment of Diego Todd. Jenkem is awful, and has been for a while.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #589 on: February 26, 2020, 12:33:28 PM »
Thanks for uploading that lecture. I was really curious about what he had to say. Pretty cool he stuck around for photo ops also. Speaking to a group that large is daunting.
heres a photo i took. i really like this one. to me it has a special meaning...

all the MFA students are rolling their eyes

• Rep: 31
« Reply #590 on: February 26, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
I don't know, I think Dill was a good choice to talk to the art students. They all want to drink wine and smoke joints and get paid to make photocollages so I can see the appeal. It's probably more likely for them to go pro for FA than for this to happen but that's life.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #591 on: February 26, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »
I don't know, I think Dill was a good choice to talk to the art students. They all want to drink wine and smoke joints and get paid to make photocollages so I can see the appeal. It's probably more likely for them to go pro for FA than for this to happen but that's life.
im sure it was very inspiring for indirect reasons.

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
« Reply #592 on: February 26, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »
Whoever made that mannequin did an amazing job. I really can't tell the difference between the two.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #593 on: February 26, 2020, 01:07:19 PM »
Whoever made that mannequin did an amazing job. I really can't tell the difference between the two.
Buffalo Dill definitely put his dick in it.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #594 on: February 26, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »
A skateboard magazine didn't pay the producer of content it is using to generate revenue or clicks?

Color me surprised that the guys within our industry are unwilling to pay the people who actually keep things going or produce interesting things.

I think I want to readjust my life into a career into a field that is super boring because then no one could ever say, "Well we are giving you exposure" or something stupid. Working in a field where the service or the product is insanely boring must be kind of nice in a lot of ways.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Baby Lynx

« Reply #595 on: February 26, 2020, 06:15:52 PM »
Is this the guy that was on the Black Sabbath T.V. show?

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #596 on: February 27, 2020, 05:08:50 AM »
Not that I was expecting anything coherent, but yikes this is painful. 

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #597 on: February 27, 2020, 11:09:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dill's gradual transformation into a porcelain doll of himself is nearly complete

Why does it seem to be everyone's duty in the US to feel inspired/motivated? Why can't you just go to some thing and on the way back say: "Wow that was so cool! It satisfied me so much! I really feel like just taking it easy for a coupla days"?

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #598 on: February 27, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
Why does it seem to be everyone's duty in the US to feel inspired/motivated? Why can't you just go to some thing and on the way back say: "Wow that was so cool! It satisfied me so much! I really feel like just taking it easy for a coupla days"?

It's an admixture between our merciless economy, shit healthcare, and the fact that our country's founders were sociopaths

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #599 on: March 08, 2020, 11:34:24 PM »
Upon watching the lecture and checking out some more recent vids and interviews with Dill I gotta apologize and insert foot into mouth. I take back what I wrote earlier in this thread and hope Dill keeps his shit up.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.