Author Topic: light trucks  (Read 5280 times)

Velvet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -41
  • pat duffy
light trucks
« on: December 08, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »
best light trucks (hi versions, no lows) with axle length of 8.125 or 8.25

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1068
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: light trucks
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:45:31 PM »

Ever heard of the word “please”?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 10:12:16 PM »
maybe tensor

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »
I've loved the Titanium Lights version of Thunder trucks. Always been a Thunder guy, so maybe I'm biased, but it's definitely a much lighter version of their normal reliable truck. The 148 would be 8.25 axle width.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:20:49 PM by stets »
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
denis leary says that ford f-150s are made with military-grade aluminum so i imagine they're pretty light

Mobkickflipper

• Rep: -1
  • is this real or is this really real ?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
maybe tensor
Tensor are light but every skater i know that used them had troubles, especially with the baseplate, one guy  bent the axle in a month or so.
On top of that hey are also quite expensive.
The thing is that i think all light trucks neglet some aspects in structure and the weight loss is not worth the durability and stability of heavier trucks in my opinion.
I was a Venture boy for many years but got broken baseplates, cracked axles, but the thing that ended it all (like if that wasn't enough) were the kingpins which broke on a regular basis.
I switched to Independent reluctantly, because of the weight, but I didn't have any problem with those since, they turn great too.

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Expand Quote
maybe tensor
[close]
Tensor are light but every skater i know that used them had troubles, especially with the baseplate, one guy  bent the axle in a month or so.
The thing is that i think all light trucks neglet some aspects in structure and the weight loss is not worth the durability and stability of heavier trucks in my opinion.
I was a Venture boy for many years but got broken baseplates, cracked axles, but the thing that ended it all (like if that wasn't enough) were the kingpins which broke on a regular basis.
I switched to Independent reluctantly, because of the weight, but I didn't have any problem with those since, they turn great too.
I feel ya but I put Indy titaniums on one of my boards and thunder hollow lights on another and I definitely do notice a positive difference.  Lightening up my setup definitely helps my old ass quite a bit.

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 06:35:03 PM »
I've loved the Titanium Lights version of Thunder trucks. Always been a Thunder guy, so maybe I'm biased, but it's definitely a much lighter version of their normal reliable truck. The 148 would be 8.25 axle width.

Thanks,
Scott

Pretty much agree with all this. I got the titaniums a while back after trying the lights and hollow lights. Definitely  lighter. Been pretty much riding those ever since on my regular board. I've never had the 148 but ride the 149ers.

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 324
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
I picked up some dudes board at the park who had theeve’s
It was light enough for me to comment on how really light his set up was when handing it back to him

That said I’ve never owned anything other than Indy or venture and tracker.

When I was a kid I a kid I always trackers with the plastic baseplate I owned Indy’s
But I was too lil for em those things weighed a Ton in the 80’s

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 07:54:36 AM »

source: Skatewarehouse

I skate Destructo D1 mid lite because they were lighter than my ACE's and Indys and just sort of felt good. I should weigh them. I really want to try the magnesium Destructo's but they're hard to find

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »
I like Theeves the best so far - they're the most affordable as well.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »
Light trucks probably don't make a huge different in your skating. Just a marketing tactic. Are a few ounces really gonna prevent you from doing anything? I had the tensor mag lights and the only difference was that I needed new trucks sooner due to wear than if I had gone with Thunder.

Ned Providence

• Rep: 13
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »
As far as light trucks I really like Thunder Team lights 149, I ride a 8.38 they fit perfect. I like them more than hollow Indy's.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 86
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
Light trucks probably don't make a huge different in your skating. Just a marketing tactic. Are a few ounces really gonna prevent you from doing anything? I had the tensor mag lights and the only difference was that I needed new trucks sooner due to wear than if I had gone with Thunder.

Although the difference can be small, I dont see any reason to not have a board thats as light as possible.
It will only benefit you. One also have to consider that most people ride thunder or indys (alteast thats what it seems like). I find it amazing that indys titanium trucks are 40g heavier than thunder titaniums, per truck.
They are even heavier than polished lights, hollow lights and regular lights! Crazy...   

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »
I find it amazing that indys titanium trucks are 40g heavier than thunder titaniums, per truck.
It's all the extra aluminum that makes up that nice barrel around the axle - their alloy always looks the best too.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 86
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 01:42:26 PM »
All that "overengineering" on dem indys :P

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 08:18:40 PM »

That’s like asking if half an inch width isn’t going to mess up your flip tricks
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
magnesium will wear faster. If you had gone with the alloy tensors they would wear the same as your thunder alloy hangar. They didn't wear cause they were light it was cause they were magnesium so it's not relevant critique of light trucks. If you don't know or care about any of this that's why it doesn't make much of a difference.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:27:10 PM by CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 06:24:42 AM »

source: Skatewarehouse

I skate Destructo D1 mid lite because they were lighter than my ACE's and Indys and just sort of felt good. I should weigh them. I really want to try the magnesium Destructo's but they're hard to find

I was going to post the same screenshot, haha. Thanks for saving me the effort. 

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 10:58:28 AM »
i like how they're only weighing trucks but made it look super sciency with lab coat, test tubes, and flasks hahaha

im currently trying out some 5.75 all terrain tensor mag lights. i've only skated indys in the past, and turning doesnt feel as smooth to me, maybe ill switch the bushings and see whats up. weight difference is noticeable when i carry my board, havent been able to tell otherwise, but idk, maybe i got used to the pop quickly?

can't really say much more for now, except that as ppl mentioned they've been getting worn down pretty fast trying to make this curb near me slappiable
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
just came across this google doc that includes brands like theeve, tracker, webb

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit#gid=0

Mobkickflipper

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
Light trucks probably don't make a huge different in your skating. Just a marketing tactic. Are a few ounces really gonna prevent you from doing anything?
I agree with this, from a life of Ventures I switched to standard Indys some years ago, I was indeed worried about the weight but I felt no downsides in the process.
Just a slight difference in turning, Indys turn responded better and i felt this clearly.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Light trucks probably don't make a huge different in your skating. Just a marketing tactic. Are a few ounces really gonna prevent you from doing anything?
[close]
I agree with this, from a life of Ventures I switched to standard Indys some years ago, I was indeed worried about the weight but I felt no downsides in the process.
Just a slight difference in turning, Indys turn responded better and i felt this clearly.

Standard Ventures are a fairly heavy truck too, though. According to that chart, it's a 0.7 oz difference from standard Venture to standard Indy. If you were going to Indy from something on the lighter end, you may have noticed the ~3 oz difference. I'm on standard Ventures now, coming from Thunder Hollow Lights. I prefer the Ventures overall, but I definitely felt the weight difference.

Mobkickflipper

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Standard Ventures are a fairly heavy truck too, though. According to that chart, it's a 0.7 oz difference from standard Venture to standard Indy. If you were going to Indy from something on the lighter end, you may have noticed the ~3 oz difference. I'm on standard Ventures now, coming from Thunder Hollow Lights. I prefer the Ventures overall, but I definitely felt the weight difference.
That may be the reason i didn't feel any difference, 99% sure I was riding standard Ventures.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »
theeve tiax are awesome
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »

Thunder Titanium lights 148s are what you want.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 01:57:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder Titanium lights 148s are what you want.

1000%

Riding mine now and damn on a scale they’re lighter than even 145&147 hollow lights which is like what??
yes

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 02:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote
maybe tensor
[close]

>cheap
>light

glhf