Author Topic: Older companies that are struggling to stay relevant  (Read 11558 times)

Trickflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
Re: Older companies that are struggling to stay relevant
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
with the complete avalanche of new companies entering the skate scene, i feel like there are several companies that I remember being kind of staples and contributed a lot to the skate scene. but now, they're just not what they used to be and just not that relevant anymore or have gone some direction that I just don't understand
companies that immediately come to mind:
almost
plan b
blind
darkstar (do I even need to say it?)
DGK
sk8mafia (I love wes kremer still don't get me wrong)
stereo (yes, yoshi. but other than that? no clue what's keeping up board sales)

ADDITIONS:

girl/chocolate- all the collabs and reissues seem like a cover for a lack of creative ideas.
toy machine, as much as I hate to say it.
creature/santa cruz- idk even know what's going on there. saving grace of the creature team is david gravette
I would say foundation but idk I feel like since king of the road they've been killing it

what am I missing?
[close]

Plan b has chris joslin, trevor mcclung, and Felipe ya dumb cunt!!
[close]
  Yeah Plan B  Fucking Sucks !!!!
They're called Plan B for a reason. Their team riders peaked and now it's their plan B

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2018, 04:48:59 AM »
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

I'm completely okay with this

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2018, 05:07:30 AM »
Off the subject but those Primitive dragon ball z boards are so wack.. Just seen all them and those 30$ Blind boards on Zumiez website..Might cop the 30$ Real board they got tho
Nah they got the best team in skateboarding right now and skateboarding needs more graphics with foil. They just don't appeal to the cuffed pants And chucks crowd.

calvinsdream

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2018, 05:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Off the subject but those Primitive dragon ball z boards are so wack.. Just seen all them and those 30$ Blind boards on Zumiez website..Might cop the 30$ Real board they got tho
[close]
Nah they got the best team leftovers in skateboarding right now and skateboarding needs more graphics with foil. They just don't appeal to the cuffed pants And chucks crowd. adults.

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2018, 06:02:26 AM »
FA/Hockey
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

Terms~of~Embeerment

• Rep: -3
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2018, 06:41:38 AM »
Is 5 boro still around? Politic? What about that stoner/hippie collective of..Satori/Creation?

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2018, 07:02:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Nah they got the best team leftovers in skateboarding right now and skateboarding needs more graphics with foil. They just don't appeal to the cuffed pants And chucks crowd. adults.
[close]
Lmao Thiago, Diego Najera, wade d, brian peacock, and p-rod are leftovers. You probably thing skateboarding peaked when everyone was into Harley's and psych-rock. As for adults wearing chucks...

calvinsdream

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Lmao Thiago, Diego Najera, wade d, brian peacock, and p-rod are leftovers. You probably thing skateboarding peaked when everyone was into Harley's and psych-rock. As for adults wearing chucks...

Wade D and Tiago are the only ones that get a pass. And you’re way the fuck off about harley’s and psych rock. I have no idea when that was. Keep (dick) riding those goku/tupac boards.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 08:14:45 AM by calvinsdream »

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2018, 08:42:40 AM »
Last I heard, Zoo York cut their skate team so I think they don't count at all. Fully failed to stay relevant or however you wanna say it.

Not sure how you stay more relevant than JCP and Kohl's to be honest

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Last I heard, Zoo York cut their skate team so I think they don't count at all. Fully failed to stay relevant or however you wanna say it.
[close]

Not sure how you stay more relevant than JCP and Kohl's to be honest

You probably know this and are trolling but JC Penny now owns the trademark for Zoo York and they do not, strictly speaking, make skateboards. Any Zoo decks you see are licensed out of Chapman. Someone who knows the sitch better can feel free to chime in but 2018 was the year that whoever still ran the board brand cut the riders. If you do not make skateboards or have some kind of team you can't be a skateboard brand.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »
Expand Quote
More importantly, what older board companies are still relevant?

Foundation (as of late)
[close]

Has anyone seen a foundation deck in the wild in the last five years?

Skated one 2 summers ago that was poo poo.

Had an Ethan Fowler Art Bars deck in like 2001 that I loved.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »
Consolidated.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2018, 05:14:45 PM »
Consolidated.

Not really what they’re going for, is it

clintendo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
Heard when Cliche got the boot that Darkstar Blind was far and away the best selling brand for World/Globe dwindle or whoever runs it.

Certain companies might not seem relevant to you but that doesn’t mean there not doing well.

Different models for sales success exist within skateboarding.