Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 143841 times)

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #570 on: November 10, 2019, 03:05:44 PM »
So does Skull Skates make all of their own boards or what exactly?  I've been thinking about throwing a cruiser together and I'm looking at their BA. KU. collabs and the Heroin DMODW Raven.  Not sure what one would be better quality.
skull skates are made at control, which to me are reserved to be shop boards. they are cheap, dont keep their shape and sog out.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #571 on: November 10, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
So does Skull Skates make all of their own boards or what exactly?  I've been thinking about throwing a cruiser together and I'm looking at their BA. KU. collabs and the Heroin DMODW Raven.  Not sure what one would be better quality.
[close]
skull skates are made at control, which to me are reserved to be shop boards. they are cheap, dont keep their shape and sog out.

Damn.  If I'm buying a board for cruising I want it to last as long as possible because I'm not going to ride it very hard or even that often.  I sort of figured playing it safe with BBS would be the best option but those BA. KU. graphics are sick.  I'm a sucker for that TRVE KVLT shit.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #572 on: November 10, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Damn.  If I'm buying a board for cruising I want it to last as long as possible because I'm not going to ride it very hard or even that often.  I sort of figured playing it safe with BBS would be the best option but those BA. KU. graphics are sick.  I'm a sucker for that TRVE KVLT shit.
heroin boards are solid bbs wood, should treat you well.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #573 on: November 10, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Though not specifically first wave black metal inspired, Brujeria always has some good heavy graphics, and the owner posts here from time to time,
https://www.brujariaskateboards.com/shop-1

Edit: Thought they were BBS, but they're last listed as using Clutch, which I've never skated.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:49:41 PM by palelight »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #574 on: November 10, 2019, 11:02:08 PM »
I think for a cruiser, the skull board will suit you fine.  They do it because they want to keep it Canadian. 

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #575 on: November 11, 2019, 09:05:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Though not specifically first wave black metal inspired, Brujeria always has some good heavy graphics, and the owner posts here from time to time,

Edit: Thought they were BBS, but they're last listed as using Clutch, which I've never skated.

Is is pretty good. I had 2 brujaria decks one I hung one I skated. I have zero complaints. Solid deck solid company. Great art.

Deletniez

• Rep: 7
« Reply #576 on: November 14, 2019, 01:09:02 PM »
According to Girl's Instagram story, they're using PS stix wood for Mike Carroll's new line of decks :o

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: November 14, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »
According to Girl's Instagram story, they're using PS stix wood for Mike Carroll's new line of decks :o

Post a screenshot if you can. Very intriguing.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #578 on: November 14, 2019, 03:28:41 PM »

I think they sometimes use ps. I think they did a few shop colabs on ps.

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #579 on: November 15, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! Right now we're split between BBS and Clutch. Both excellent boards, Clutch makes a nice 8.5x14.74"WB shape that Norman is quite fond of, however, the more squared BBS shapes are rad too, albeit shorter wheelbase.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #580 on: November 18, 2019, 05:59:07 AM »
I've only had one clutch deck (an 8.25 with a 14.5 wb from a company thats name escapes me at the moment) and the wood was decent and very durable. Pop was fine and it held it even after I beat it up and got it wet a bunch of times. I wouldn't seek it out but it the way I do with PW or SC wood but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if a company I like used it either.

Also, according to the descriptions on socal some of the newer Toy Machine decks are pressed by Watson. Does anyone know if that's true? I know they have a long history (does Tumyeto still own Watson?) but I haven't seen a TM with a Watson sticker for a very long time and I've never actually skated one of them so I would like to try one if it's true.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 65
« Reply #581 on: November 18, 2019, 01:01:53 PM »
I've only had one clutch deck (an 8.25 with a 14.5 wb from a company thats name escapes me at the moment) and the wood was decent and very durable. Pop was fine and it held it even after I beat it up and got it wet a bunch of times. I wouldn't seek it out but it the way I do with PW or SC wood but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if a company I like used it either.

Also, according to the descriptions on socal some of the newer Toy Machine decks are pressed by Watson. Does anyone know if that's true? I know they have a long history (does Tumyeto still own Watson?) but I haven't seen a TM with a Watson sticker for a very long time and I've never actually skated one of them so I would like to try one if it's true.
Idk about Toy being pressed at Watson, but Watson is legit. Got the Scram/Assault collab board a few years back and the wood was pretty damn good. I’d imagine Watson pressed Toy boards would be pretty good. Hope this is some help

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #582 on: November 18, 2019, 04:51:22 PM »
Most of all toy machine and foundation is PSSTIX these days. Some pro models and the screen printed decks are still pressed and screened at Watson. The “made in USA” sticker ones are Watson and the rest is very mellow psstix

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: November 18, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »
Most of all toy machine and foundation is PSSTIX these days. Some pro models and the screen printed decks are still pressed and screened at Watson. The “made in USA” sticker ones are Watson and the rest is very mellow psstix

Just throwing this out there. A bunch of the team boards I've come across were made in China and didn't strike me as particularly good quality. Maybe it's cause I'm in Canada? Don't know. But I was in the market for a flatter concave deck and was more than a little bummed when i checked these out at a shop. 

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #584 on: November 18, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
This is a BBS appreciation post

Thank you BBS for making boards that don't immediately snap when I land something sketchy on the nose or tail, and don't chip when I try to flip into stuff I have no business flipping into, and don't crack when I just do lipslides all day. God I fucking love BBS boards, only thing I wish is they had the same setup as dwindle where each board was pressed individually, but I understand the RnD it'd take to set that all up.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #585 on: November 18, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just throwing this out there. A bunch of the team boards I've come across were made in China and didn't strike me as particularly good quality. Maybe it's cause I'm in Canada? Don't know. But I was in the market for a flatter concave deck and was more than a little bummed when i checked these out at a shop.
Recently I had a Chinese toy machine. God that thing sucked, lasted me 2 weeks which for my standards is like 15 min
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #586 on: November 18, 2019, 05:39:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Recently I had a Chinese toy machine. God that thing sucked, lasted me 2 weeks which for my standards is like 15 min

They are selling a whole lot of locally branded (Do By Heart, Justice) and USA branded boards (Zero, Chocolate, Girl, Deathwish, Baker, Flip) on their big shopping site Taobao. A complete setup will $115 before shipping, with a logo board, Theeve trucks, locally made bearings and plain wheels.

Fuck they are even selling off-brand Real boards:
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.76.7b543716vW5lQd&id=602491724310&ns=1&abbucket=6
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
« Reply #587 on: November 18, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »
If you search Alibaba you can find manufacturers claiming to (some truthfully some not) make boards big brands. Excel who makes girl, also makes budget completes and decks for other brands.

Theeve is made in China so it makes since to use them.

Right when It first became message board knowledge their were counter fit indys all over the place. You could find a set in amazon for 18$

https://imgur.com/a/OelD39z
Photo from reddit of dude bragging about his fake indys
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:53:39 PM by TwisT »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: November 18, 2019, 05:53:40 PM »
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting the Toy Machine decks I saw were counterfeits. Just low end crap, unfortunately.   

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #589 on: November 18, 2019, 06:22:35 PM »
If you search Alibaba you can find manufacturers claiming to (some truthfully some not) make boards big brands. Excel who makes girl, also makes budget completes and decks for other brands.

Theeve is made in China so it makes since to use them.

Right when It first became message board knowledge their were counter fit indys all over the place. You could find a set in amazon for 18$

https://imgur.com/a/OelD39z
Photo from reddit of dude bragging about his fake indys

AliExpress sells Element branded trucks and past season Royals and wheels from Girl, Chocolate and even Pig. I wouldn't mind trying the wheels since they are $20 and even their bearings, but I'll stick to name brands for boards and trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #590 on: November 18, 2019, 09:28:05 PM »
I’ve seen those Toymachine and element pre made completes use dsm wood. I’ve seen some in Korea when I visited and the shape looked like mini logo concave. I’ve also seen made in China stickers on psstix laser boards too

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #591 on: November 19, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »
Price point Toy Machine boards are made in china. Pro Models and full price team boards are PS or Watson.
No.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: November 19, 2019, 02:16:54 PM »

Yeah I know, I actually haven't seen a Watson one in a long time (probably a few years) so I just assumed they'd gone to PS for everything but the chinese PP boards. I just bought a Toy Machine Welcome to Hell monster like 2 weeks ago that's the mellow PS mold. Only complaint is that its 14.5 wb on a 31.75, which is a little stretched out for me but moving to ace 44s has helped mitigate it a bit.

The reason I was somewhat suspicious is because one of the boards SoCal had marked as Watson was the Foundation 30 year Markovich re-issue which the Tumyeto site mentions is done at Watson, but none of the other boards say anything about being Watson on the Tumyeto site. I was thinking maybe they just copy/pasted the info for the whole Tumyeto shipment and forgot to take that part out or something. I guess I could just email them and ask rather than blindly speculating on here haha. Now if only I could find an 8.25/8.38 Watson with a 14.25" wb...

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #593 on: November 19, 2019, 06:55:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I know, I actually haven't seen a Watson one in a long time (probably a few years) so I just assumed they'd gone to PS for everything but the chinese PP boards. I just bought a Toy Machine Welcome to Hell monster like 2 weeks ago that's the mellow PS mold. Only complaint is that its 14.5 wb on a 31.75, which is a little stretched out for me but moving to ace 44s has helped mitigate it a bit.

The reason I was somewhat suspicious is because one of the boards SoCal had marked as Watson was the Foundation 30 year Markovich re-issue which the Tumyeto site mentions is done at Watson, but none of the other boards say anything about being Watson on the Tumyeto site. I was thinking maybe they just copy/pasted the info for the whole Tumyeto shipment and forgot to take that part out or something. I guess I could just email them and ask rather than blindly speculating on here haha. Now if only I could find an 8.25/8.38 Watson with a 14.25" wb...

What width? I’d love a non-Chinese Toy Machine board with 14.5” wheelbase. I am in Europe though so I guess that’s unlikely. 🤔

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: November 21, 2019, 05:39:29 AM »

What width? I’d love a non-Chinese Toy Machine board with 14.5” wheelbase. I am in Europe though so I guess that’s unlikely. 🤔

8.25".. I posted pics of it in the setup thread (although I've switched the trucks to black Ace 44 since then) if you want to see it. Try to find the pro models or non price point team decks (like mine) if you want to avoid China wood. I'm not sure if Tumyeto uses a different woodshop for Europe but I'd they don't then those should be PS Stix and the 8.25“ x 31.75“ 14.5“ wheelbase mellow concave mold is used on a bunch of them.

Also I emailed Socal and they confirmed that it was a mistake and the only Tumyeto they have from Watson is the Markovich 30 year reissue.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: November 21, 2019, 06:35:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

8.25".. I posted pics of it in the setup thread (although I've switched the trucks to black Ace 44 since then) if you want to see it. Try to find the pro models or non price point team decks (like mine) if you want to avoid China wood. I'm not sure if Tumyeto uses a different woodshop for Europe but I'd they don't then those should be PS Stix and the 8.25“ x 31.75“ 14.5“ wheelbase mellow concave mold is used on a bunch of them.

Also I emailed Socal and they confirmed that it was a mistake and the only Tumyeto they have from Watson is the Markovich 30 year reissue.

Thanks for the info. 8.25” is a bit skinny for me. Doable maybe, but not preferable. Anyway Toy Machine at least used to have most of their boards in Europe pressed in China so it’s always a gamble if you can’t confirm it in advance. If they got their shit together like most other companies and wouldn’t try to treat their European customers like shit, I’d love to give them a chance still. My love for Toy Machine hasn’t completely died yet.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #596 on: November 21, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info. 8.25” is a bit skinny for me. Doable maybe, but not preferable. Anyway Toy Machine at least used to have most of their boards in Europe pressed in China so it’s always a gamble if you can’t confirm it in advance. If they got their shit together like most other companies and wouldn’t try to treat their European customers like shit, I’d love to give them a chance still. My love for Toy Machine hasn’t completely died yet.
I got a Leabres board in Europe and shit was horrible Chinese crap.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: November 21, 2019, 08:54:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Where do you live? The shipping is probably outrageous but if you really want one I'm sure there's some US shops that would send you one, or maybe a friendly SLAP pal can help you with it. I do sympathize with you, it seems like it's more difficult to get quality decks in Europe than over here, although you do get access to those awesome Lovenskate pennswood decks and I got my first Sour board last month and really like the Jart wood. It's quite thick and heavy but very stiff and feels damn near indestructible. Getting shinners is awful because its like getting smacked in the leg with a lead pipe but the pop is great and the concave is really nice.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: November 21, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Where do you live? The shipping is probably outrageous but if you really want one I'm sure there's some US shops that would send you one, or maybe a friendly SLAP pal can help you with it. I do sympathize with you, it seems like it's more difficult to get quality decks in Europe than over here, although you do get access to those awesome Lovenskate pennswood decks and I got my first Sour board last month and really like the Jart wood. It's quite thick and heavy but very stiff and feels damn near indestructible. Getting shinners is awful because its like getting smacked in the leg with a lead pipe but the pop is great and the concave is really nice.

I live in Finland. It's not that hard to get nice boards here. Some brands just want to cut corners and try to sell us crap and those brands won't get my business. Some of the smaller US brands aren't easy to come by I guess and it might be better to be smart about buying what you like when it's available as things might sell out relatively quickly. Ordering online throughout Europe is always an option too and that way you can find a lot more stuff than locally but I prefer to buy locally if they have what I want.

Anyway I'm not exactly hurting for boards and ordering from the US really isn't an option due to shipping, customs and taxes. Ed just has to live without my money due to his poor choices.

alright

« Reply #599 on: November 21, 2019, 01:10:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I live in Finland. It's not that hard to get nice boards here. Some brands just want to cut corners and try to sell us crap and those brands won't get my business. Some of the smaller US brands aren't easy to come by I guess and it might be better to be smart about buying what you like when it's available as things might sell out relatively quickly. Ordering online throughout Europe is always an option too and that way you can find a lot more stuff than locally but I prefer to buy locally if they have what I want.

Anyway I'm not exactly hurting for boards and ordering from the US really isn't an option due to shipping, customs and taxes. Ed just has to live without my money due to his poor choices.

In your experience, which brands do you think try to peddle shit out there to you?