Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144761 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2019, 11:03:01 PM »
Their Silver spoon concave is pretty interesting. The tail and nose kind of curve up, rather than clearly angling up like most decks. Haven’t seen that anywhere else but I like the way those feel a lot.

The silver spoon concave is what Pennswood calls their matador concave.

Apparently their summer 2019 drop is being pressed by Control. I am looking for a new deck so I may pick up the current Kevin Taylor model because I love the way Pennswood decks feel. Scumco is a great company and has responded to me within one day on several occasions when I reached out to them about technical specs. I will continue to support them no matter what woodshop happens to be pressing their decks because I am certain that they will always put out a fantastic product. They are only an hour from where I live so it is nice to be able to support a truly local skate company.
[/quote]

Shit like this is rad to hear re: them answering tech questions.

I was/am hyped on the pennswood boards cuz USA made is always cool. I have some hi-tek boards, pressed by control. I really like the way they feel. Dimensions are really well thought out, and the wood let’s out that ‘crrrrrraaack!’ Sound when popping.  Not sure who else uses control, surprised more don’t. Will just get more hi-teks in the future, always like to switch it up tho.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2019, 06:11:52 AM »

Apparently their summer 2019 drop is being pressed by Control. I am looking for a new deck so I may pick up the current Kevin Taylor model because I love the way Pennswood decks feel. Scumco is a great company and has responded to me within one day on several occasions when I reached out to them about technical specs. I will continue to support them no matter what woodshop happens to be pressing their decks because I am certain that they will always put out a fantastic product. They are only an hour from where I live so it is nice to be able to support a truly local skate company.

Pennswood decks are awesome. I got a batch made by them of the Matador, Standard and Deep concaves for myself since I liked the Scumco and Terror of Planet X (they use primarily the Matador concave I think) decks so much and besides the shapes being awesome, their veneer work is amazing!

I didn’t know Scumco was switching to Control for this batch. I’m curious if they will do multiple concaves with them too, or just keep it standard.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:13:57 AM by Sundaynuggets »

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2019, 06:23:58 AM »
So I received my scumco board, it’s on deep dish concave and man that really is STEEP! 8.5” w/ 14” WB is as dreamy as it can get🤤
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2019, 06:54:21 AM »
So I received my scumco board, it’s on deep dish concave and man that really is STEEP! 8.5” w/ 14” WB is as dreamy as it can get🤤

Yeah, I think they (Pennswood/Scumco) make the deepest concaves I’ve seen around. South Central has a solid deep concave too

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #244 on: June 29, 2019, 08:23:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I think they (Pennswood/Scumco) make the deepest concaves I’ve seen around. South Central has a solid deep concave too

I’ve always err’d, in general, but also towards flat. Because I try different set ups, radically, often, flat can be more consistent for me. And flip tricks need to be more intentional/ slightly exaggerated on a flat board. When I was better (mystical/mythical time, much exaggerated by the wistful thinking of an old man) shit just sorta happened. Which is kind of how dramatically concaved boards react for me. You just kinda throw something out and it happens really easily. Or not at all. In summary, I will now begin to furiously look up concaved boards.
What do you like about that specific concave? The 8.5 14” wb sounds awesome. How long is it? (Hard to find scumco in general, harder to find full measurements). I do remember a flatter board skating ‘bigger’ than a concaved board, but that could be, per always, very false.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve always err’d, in general, but also towards flat. Because I try different set ups, radically, often, flat can be more consistent for me. And flip tricks need to be more intentional/ slightly exaggerated on a flat board. When I was better (mystical/mythical time, much exaggerated by the wistful thinking of an old man) shit just sorta happened. Which is kind of how dramatically concaved boards react for me. You just kinda throw something out and it happens really easily. Or not at all. In summary, I will now begin to furiously look up concaved boards.
What do you like about that specific concave? The 8.5 14” wb sounds awesome. How long is it? (Hard to find scumco in general, harder to find full measurements). I do remember a flatter board skating ‘bigger’ than a concaved board, but that could be, per always, very false.

For me, I like the deeper concaves because of the reason you listed (less deliberate effort to do flip tricks) and because I feel more locked in when I’m doing my tricks, like I have more of a hold on the deck with my feet. Plus, it feels more comfortable for me when I’m cruising around the city. I usually do a bigger set up (wide with bigger wheels) with deeper concave for when I want to cruise through the city and hit random spots and then I ride a a smaller, flatter (the kiddie pool concave on Scumco boards aka “standard” Pennswood concave) set up with small wheels when I know I’m going to be staying at one spot for a while and want to try to learn more technical stuff.

Overall I prefer the feel of the deeper concaves, especially in wider sizes (8.25-8.75), and ride those more often but when I’m going through my phases where I’m obsessed with trying more technical stuff it seems much easier on those smaller and flatter set ups.

The Deep concave Pennswood decks I ride now (the ones i got made)are 31.5-32 long, and vary from 8-8.5 wide which, iirc, were the same dimensions as the Scumcos I ride but the South central (Bacon skateboards) I just got done with was 8.75 and 32.5 long. I think

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »
and the wood let’s out that ‘crrrrrraaack!’ Sound when popping.

Oooh.  Love that.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #247 on: June 30, 2019, 12:36:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Their Silver spoon concave is pretty interesting. The tail and nose kind of curve up, rather than clearly angling up like most decks. Haven’t seen that anywhere else but I like the way those feel a lot.
[close]

Shit like this is rad to hear re: them answering tech questions.

I was/am hyped on the pennswood boards cuz USA made is always cool. I have some hi-tek boards, pressed by control. I really like the way they feel. Dimensions are really well thought out, and the wood let’s out that ‘crrrrrraaack!’ Sound when popping.  Not sure who else uses control, surprised more don’t. Will just get more hi-teks in the future, always like to switch it up tho.
[/quote]

There's some other smaller Pittsburgh companies putting sweet PW decks right now. Play skateboards is owned by a guy from my home town and they have some cool shit, I had my eye on the Ed Gein deck last time I went to the shop. I'm actually shopping for an 8"-ish deck right now and I'm torn between that, the Scumco KT soldier deck, and this Lurkville deck.

Regarding ScumCo being awesome in general, I ordered a sticker pack and he mailed it in a regular old fashioned envelope with stamps and my address handwritten on it. It was sort of like getting a letter from a friend (for those of you old enough to remember what that was like) and it made me so nostalgic I'm seriously considering writing a thank you letter back. I also discovered from the return address that he lives less than a mile from me, in the neighborhood that borders mine. It was just a nice, personal touch that you don't get to experience very often these days and it made me love ScumCo even more than I did before. The stickers are fucking sick too.

ish_wav

• Rep: 102
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2019, 02:32:23 PM »
I don’t know that anyone cares, but, Revive and 3Block get their boards made through Clutch.

ChasingCars

• Rep: -1
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2019, 07:04:25 PM »
I don’t know that anyone cares, but, Revive and 3Block get their boards made through Clutch.

Actually, I am sure some people do care. I was curious about who pressed their boards. My friend just bought a 3 block deck, although I haven’t had a chance to skate it yet.

ish_wav

• Rep: 102
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Actually, I am sure some people do care. I was curious about who pressed their boards. My friend just bought a 3 block deck, although I haven’t had a chance to skate it yet.

I follow Clutch on Insta and it looks like Friendship and those Maher crew guys also got their decks made through them.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #251 on: July 01, 2019, 05:56:52 AM »
I had a run of decks through Clutch a few years ago. Their wood is decent and they have a ton of shapes. I think I was a fan of the C shape

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: July 01, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »
Not a wood shop question, exactly: many companies are being pressed at few places. Many companies do not publish their dimensions, whilst obviously some that are pressed in the same places, do. I’ve been trying to find out wb/lengths, as those 2 measurements have more impact on what’s fun for me (14”/sub 32”). Anyone have any idea on how proprietary shapes are? I jumped on the homies alltimers board, really ready to hate. Too big, long, concaved, it felt awesome. Can’t find their sizing anywhere. Was also trying to track down scumco sizing. Ended up getting a girl board cuz i could see the sizing and didn’t have to embarrassingly ask for a tape measure.
I search 35th, SPOT, and SoCal for measurements. Any other sites folks have found that have decent info? Please and thanks

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #253 on: July 01, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »
Not a wood shop question, exactly: many companies are being pressed at few places. Many companies do not publish their dimensions, whilst obviously some that are pressed in the same places, do. I’ve been trying to find out wb/lengths, as those 2 measurements have more impact on what’s fun for me (14”/sub 32”). Anyone have any idea on how proprietary shapes are? I jumped on the homies alltimers board, really ready to hate. Too big, long, concaved, it felt awesome. Can’t find their sizing anywhere. Was also trying to track down scumco sizing. Ended up getting a girl board cuz i could see the sizing and didn’t have to embarrassingly ask for a tape measure.
I search 35th, SPOT, and SoCal for measurements. Any other sites folks have found that have decent info? Please and thanks
Skatedeluxe has measurements
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: July 01, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks!
Someone posted this Euro (I think?) site and they even measured across the truck mounting holes, imo a MUCH more important measurement than ‘width’. Can’t remember it tho

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you now know about wheelbase.......

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #256 on: July 03, 2019, 09:20:19 AM »
Was wondering if anyone knows what wood shop that CCS, Tactics and Skate Warehouse use on their blanks/ website brand decks.
 I’ve reached out and either never heard back or was told they couldn’t disclose that information.
If they come from a good wood shop then these decks sound like a good option considering price. I just personally don’t wanna pull the trigger on it if I don’t know what the wood is because if it’s shit it will be done in less than a week as I break boards (especially cheap ones) pretty easily.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #257 on: July 03, 2019, 09:32:59 AM »
Was wondering if anyone knows what wood shop that CCS, Tactics and Skate Warehouse use on their blanks/ website brand decks.
 I’ve reached out and either never heard back or was told they couldn’t disclose that information.
If they come from a good wood shop then these decks sound like a good option considering price. I just personally don’t wanna pull the trigger on it if I don’t know what the wood is because if it’s shit it will be done in less than a week as I break boards (especially cheap ones) pretty easily.

Tactics = BBS

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #258 on: July 03, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »

the baptism of madness

HeavyMental

« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »
The only BBS decks they had was the collab with tactics and Real.. they wouldn’t tell me who presses their shop decks

Expand Quote
[close]

Tactics = BBS

HeavyMental

« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »
And I’m sure if they went through a good wood shop they probably wouldn’t mind letting their customers know

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #261 on: July 03, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »
The only BBS decks they had was the collab with tactics and Real.. they wouldn’t tell me who presses their shop decks

One of their shops is 300 feet from my office.   It has been told to me in person by one of the guys who has designed some of their graphics.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:10:13 AM by backinaction »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: July 03, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the baptism of madness

Hahaha. You all ain’t wrong. I’m for sure full kook mode.

I’m always prone to jumping on a different board and loving if for a day. I have noticed that the boards I’ve liked over the last few years all shares one similarity: 14”wb. I will, no doubt, be back here to say the opposite soon.

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2019, 12:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One of their shops is 300 feet from my office.   It has been told to me in person by one of the guys who has designed some of their graphics.

Maybe they don’t want to lose any faith with board brands by advertising that their “shop” decks are the same as _______.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »

I wouldn’t go too heavily on that sites info, I just looked up three boards that are the same specs and they were all listed differently, from length to wheelbase. I went and measured a few I have on the same shape and got the same sizing from each board

HeavyMental

« Reply #265 on: July 03, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »
Lol ok

Expand Quote

[close]

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #266 on: July 03, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

the baptism of madness
[close]

I’m always prone to jumping on a different board and loving if for a day. I have noticed that the boards I’ve liked over the last few years all shares one similarity: 14”wb. I will, no doubt, be back here to say the opposite soon.

Generator/BBS all tend to have longer wheelbases which will inevitably drive you koo....koo....

The Alltimers lay up is pretty standard no?  Similar to Sour/Isle/Magenta, mellowish, minimal gap, with medium kicks.....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: July 03, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

the baptism of madness
[close]

[close]

Generator/BBS all tend to have longer wheelbases which will inevitably drive you koo....koo....

The Alltimers lay up is pretty standard no?  Similar to Sour/Isle/Magenta, mellowish, minimal gap, with medium kicks.....

You, my dear, are very very correct: the tyranny of 14.25....a functional measurement to be sure, but for me, this month, it feels....meh. Just mediocre. The alltimers they I hopped on had a little bit of a rounded shape, some concave. It was almost made in a factory of things I don’t like: mid board griptape stripe, for sure Phillips that may have been convexed, used to perform ‘over willy’ grinds by its owner (I’m not sure where I even talk to that person really) and yet it was pretty dope. He claimed it was 8.3 but it rode big.
My girl Simon 8.25 has actually been really fun. The last board I got from them was perfect. Ly fucked. Shape looked awesome, McCrank 8.37, short, tapered, all looked awesome. Was slightly spun, and just dead. Warped boards can be managed, but it was just doa. And not the cool doa. Anyways, new wood decent. Not quite as good as an 8.28 doom sayers board I had (14 wb) but....not trying to support that guy on account of some rumors of fuckery.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #268 on: July 03, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »
Soooo after reading all the testimonials on Schlap about how much everyone loves BBS/Generator, i want to try one out. The last four boards I've had were all the same shape, quasi or wknd boards pressed by ps stix. 8.5" wide, 32.25" long with 14.25" wb super square kicks. Fairly mellow cave. I love this shape, and after trying out a bunch of different shapes last year, i can tell my skating has improved this year by sticking to the same shape for a while, so as not to mess with your muscle memory too much.

TLDR: Do BBS make a shape similar to the 8.5", 32.25", 14.25" wb with super square kicks that I've come to love from ps stix?
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #269 on: July 03, 2019, 10:55:06 PM »
Soooo after reading all the testimonials on Schlap about how much everyone loves BBS/Generator, i want to try one out. The last four boards I've had were all the same shape, quasi or wknd boards pressed by ps stix. 8.5" wide, 32.25" long with 14.25" wb super square kicks. Fairly mellow cave. I love this shape, and after trying out a bunch of different shapes last year, i can tell my skating has improved this year by sticking to the same shape for a while, so as not to mess with your muscle memory too much.

TLDR: Do BBS make a shape similar to the 8.5", 32.25", 14.25" wb with super square kicks that I've come to love from ps stix?

Most recent 8.5's from Hockey (Big John's and a couple team decks). Square kicks and noses, mellow concave, 14.25 wb. They do still dick around using PS Stix and BBS at the same time but the last 2 Hockey 8.5's I picked up were both BBS. Only difference from say a PS Quasi 8.5, the kick is ever so slightly steeper, but not drastically (and is probably different from deck to deck on the press).