Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144726 times)

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 76
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 04, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »
Right, thanks. I bought a FA board at the start of last year that I thought would be the same, but the kicks were too steep for me. Guess I just gotta go to a stacked shop and compare some decks.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #271 on: July 04, 2019, 05:28:19 PM »
Right, thanks. I bought a FA board at the start of last year that I thought would be the same, but the kicks were too steep for me. Guess I just gotta go to a stacked shop and compare some decks.

Yeah, I had a 8.3 Piscopo deck that was borderline too steep but before that I had the Kosovo 8.5 and it was quite mellow all around. Tend to find their 8.5's to be a little flatter in the kicks and concave.

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2019, 02:44:22 AM »
I ride a lot of WKND boards, but the FA I am rocking at the moment from BBS has a slightly steeper tail. Very similar measurements, all 8.25s. Similar decks all round, although for me the FA appears to have better feel in the pocket (who knows if this is in my head).

Just my two cents anyway, and personally I'd rather support Grant these days and overcome these minute differences by just learning how my board responds a little better.

ballintoohard

« Reply #273 on: July 05, 2019, 09:00:46 AM »
how are the 917 kicks in terms of steepness?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »

Interested. Had a Bianca board that I hated/ and then came to love. And would buy several times over. 917 dimensions hard to come by. Pretty sure they don’t make any wb short enough for me, which sucks cuz out of the new companies I like them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »
I think generator traditionally makes wheelbases too big but some people like them like that and 917 has a few that are pretty long.  The 917 kicks are way more normal than the FA/Hockey/WKND boards I've seen...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
I think generator traditionally makes wheelbases too big but some people like them like that and 917 has a few that are pretty long.  The 917 kicks are way more normal than the FA/Hockey/WKND boards I've seen...

True true.

I think a lot of the generator companies have an all terrain vibe, folks that skate it all, and/or get gnarly. I don’t. I’m looking for boards that are basically jeans, but with a sweatpants style elastic waistband: I want that wide board for fashion, but I really need the small wheelbase for function. Or something.

ballintoohard

« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2019, 02:47:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interested. Had a Bianca board that I hated/ and then came to love. And would buy several times over. 917 dimensions hard to come by. Pretty sure they don’t make any wb short enough for me, which sucks cuz out of the new companies I like them.

They have several 14.25 and below- mostly 8.124-8.25. The one I'm looking at is 14.19

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: July 05, 2019, 02:47:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No idea on the steepness but a few from their most recent drop have shorter wheelbases than usual, 14.19" (the Cyrus Trippy decks, and a couple team decks as well). They post all the dimensions on their site. 

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »
Does anyone know if any South Central brands make a board with a shorter(ish) wheelbase?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »
Does anyone know if any South Central brands make a board with a shorter(ish) wheelbase?

What's 'shorter-ish' to you? Every sub 8.5" deck by SC has a 14.25" wheelbase, that I've seen anyway (Politic, Northern, DOA, 5boro, Dieta, Morning Bell). 8.5" and above bump up to 14.5."

DOA just had a new drop, and their square shape looks to have an adjustable wheelbase, doesn't list the dimensions on the site but he's quick to return questions.
https://doany.bigcartel.com/product/death-deck-square-shape

Torre

« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What's 'shorter-ish' to you? Every sub 8.5" deck by SC has a 14.25" wheelbase, that I've seen anyway (Politic, Northern, DOA, 5boro, Dieta, Morning Bell). 8.5" and above bump up to 14.5."

DOA just had a new drop, and their square shape looks to have an adjustable wheelbase, doesn't list the dimensions on the site but he's quick to return questions.
Anything that’s less than 14.25 I’m wondering about. I ended up looking at a few and only saw 14.25 at the lowest. I also saw the one with the adjustable wheelbase but I’m not interested in that because if you choose the shorter wheelbase then the space between the bolts and the nose will be different between the distance between the other bolts and the tail if you get what I mean.
I’ve never skated a board with a shorter wheelbase than 14.25 in recent years and am curious to see how it affects things like pop and control on flip tricks or anything else.
I asked about South Central though because I tend to break a LOT of boards unless it’s either South Central wood or hybrid technology like Impact Light, Flight decks, etc. but I guess South Central brands don’t really do shorter wheelbases.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2019, 06:38:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Anything that’s less than 14.25 I’m wondering about. I ended up looking at a few and only saw 14.25 at the lowest. I also saw the one with the adjustable wheelbase but I’m not interested in that because if you choose the shorter wheelbase then the space between the bolts and the nose will be different between the distance between the other bolts and the tail if you get what I mean.
I’ve never skated a board with a shorter wheelbase than 14.25 in recent years and am curious to see how it affects things like pop and control on flip tricks or anything else.
I asked about South Central though because I tend to break a LOT of boards unless it’s either South Central wood or hybrid technology like Impact Light, Flight decks, etc. but I guess South Central brands don’t really do shorter wheelbases.

Understood. I'd suggest checking out Pennswood decks then, especially Scumco boards. A lot have 14" wheelbases in pretty much every width. I always found Pennswood to be just as durable as SC decks, maybe a smidge heavier (they tend to be a little thicker than the usual woodshops).

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #283 on: July 05, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Understood. I'd suggest checking out Pennswood decks then, especially Scumco boards. A lot have 14" wheelbases in pretty much every width. I always found Pennswood to be just as durable as SC decks, maybe a smidge heavier (they tend to be a little thicker than the usual woodshops).

Quick reminder from the sunny slopes of the steel city - the latest batch of ScumCo decks are not Pennswood. They're done by Control in Canada. He does note which ones are which on the website, so I'd recommend ordering there or looking for older models. I was pretty bummed too when one of the local Pittsburgh shops told me they'd just talked to him on the phone and he was picking up his new boards only to stop at another shop a few days later and find out they're not Pennswood. I did fondle one off the shelf and they look good and the shape was pretty ScumCo-ish but I haven't skated one. However, if there's one thing I've learned about Nick it's that EVERY little thing he does is high quality. Even down to the stickers being printed on really cool thick old cardstock to give them the vintage look/feel and rolling/packaging an ungodly amount of cigarettes by hand. I've come across ScumCo products I don't like, but never one that was cheap.

If you've got your heart set on Pennswood here's a pretty sweet little local company that I'm really digging. I might cop one of their Ed Gein decks next if I can still find one in a size I find skateable.

https://www.playskateboarding.com/products

I'm heading over to a shop I know has some in stock some time in the next couple days, possibly tomorrow afternoon, if anyone wants me to get more precise measurements.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can drill the holes out to adjustable wb. It’s pre drilled for vert set up. The holes are part of the graphic.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2019, 12:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No idea on the steepness but a few from their most recent drop have shorter wheelbases than usual, 14.19" (the Cyrus Trippy decks, and a couple team decks as well). They post all the dimensions on their site.

Thanks for the info. I’ve looked at they site, always wonder if the wb are accurate. One drop everything said 14.75 wb. Pretty sure that wasn’t true

Torre

« Reply #286 on: July 06, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »
I’ve been looking around at decks with shorter wheelbases, and I looked on Tactics and they had an 8.5 Full SE Shape (SE=Short Edition I believe) deck which is advertised as having a shorter wheelbase. When I checked the measurements, it was a 14.38 wheelbase. So I looked at other 8.5s by them and they had exactly the same wheelbase. So it’s either mislabeled, or false advertisement. Has anyone actually measured a Full SE Shape Real deck?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2019, 12:34:29 PM »
I think the 8.5” full shape has 14.75” wheelbase. Not 100% sure as I’ve never had one. I know that the 8.38” has a 14.62” wheelbase.

The full shapes in general have longer wheelbases than normal decks. I guess ppl complained and they made shorter versions of the full shapes. Still not exactly short but shorter than the full shapes and maybe a tad bit shorter than DLX normal shapes too (mostly).

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: July 06, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »
I think the 8.5” full shape has 14.75” wheelbase. Not 100% sure as I’ve never had one. I know that the 8.38” has a 14.62” wheelbase.

The full shapes in general have longer wheelbases than normal decks. I guess ppl complained and they made shorter versions of the full shapes. Still not exactly short but shorter than the full shapes and maybe a tad bit shorter than DLX normal shapes too (mostly).

Stadard 8.5" fulls also have the 14.62" wheelbase, so the 8.5" SE's having 14.38" wheelbase checks out. Only DLX deck I can think of that is full/square shape with a shorter wheelbase is the new Manderson 8.38.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
14" is just blasphemy with anything generator....

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2019, 06:50:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Quick reminder from the sunny slopes of the steel city - the latest batch of ScumCo decks are not Pennswood. They're done by Control in Canada. He does note which ones are which on the website, so I'd recommend ordering there or looking for older models. I was pretty bummed too when one of the local Pittsburgh shops told me they'd just talked to him on the phone and he was picking up his new boards only to stop at another shop a few days later and find out they're not Pennswood. I did fondle one off the shelf and they look good and the shape was pretty ScumCo-ish but I haven't skated one. However, if there's one thing I've learned about Nick it's that EVERY little thing he does is high quality. Even down to the stickers being printed on really cool thick old cardstock to give them the vintage look/feel and rolling/packaging an ungodly amount of cigarettes by hand. I've come across ScumCo products I don't like, but never one that was cheap.

If you've got your heart set on Pennswood here's a pretty sweet little local company that I'm really digging. I might cop one of their Ed Gein decks next if I can still find one in a size I find skateable.

I'm heading over to a shop I know has some in stock some time in the next couple days, possibly tomorrow afternoon, if anyone wants me to get more precise measurements.

Damn those play decks look awesome. The shirts and decks look so good. Do you know the wheel bases?

I want to try a bacon board but can’t find wheel bases on their site but from looking online it seems most 14.5 for 8.5 but they got more on the bacon site just no dimensions.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: July 08, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »
I'm interested in how the control decks look because the ones I've seen are always mellow and really flat kicks. 

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #292 on: July 08, 2019, 01:37:30 PM »
I had this 8.5 bacon with a 15" wb.

they're usually more proportional. there's full measurements on tactics
https://www.tactics.com/bacon/decks

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #293 on: July 08, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

im pretty sure he does some control and some penns still. control arent my fav at all.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2019, 11:38:35 AM »

I set up the 8.25, 14.75 pink "Glam" board this week and the kicks are very high. i usually skate very mellow dlx boards so maybe someone else can weigh in but i think the kicks, especially the tail are high. i skate indys; the gap between the board and each kick is very narrow
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2019, 11:43:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
im pretty sure he does some control and some penns still. control arent my fav at all.

My control experience is very limited to some hi-tek boards, and those were sick. What didn’t you like? Just curious and always trying to solicit info on scumco

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I set up the 8.25, 14.75 pink "Glam" board this week and the kicks are very high. i usually skate very mellow dlx boards so maybe someone else can weigh in but i think the kicks, especially the tail are high. i skate indys; the gap between the board and each kick is very narrow

8.25 by 14.75 wb??? I assumed those measurements were just wrong. How long is the board? Seems like a funky set up, which could be cool....

ChasingCars

• Rep: -1
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2019, 01:30:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

When you are there can you ask what concave molds they are using. I love Pennswood decks and I wish Scumco had stuck with them.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
The only 917 deck I have was psstix pressed and it was flat and mellllow. Never seen any since.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2019, 08:48:33 PM »
Generator presses them too and I think they are similar.  Mellow, bigger wheelbase....