Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144760 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »

TLDR: Do BBS make a shape similar to the 8.5", 32.25", 14.25" wb with super square kicks that I've come to love from ps stix?

The Harper habitat Icon series i believe is all bbs and the 8.5 is those dimentions, cant speak to the kick but the 8.3 ive had in recent times were fairly mellow

https://www.habitatskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/harper-icon-series-8-5

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #301 on: July 10, 2019, 09:42:45 AM »
I’m fully back to being a weirdo: who knows some wider boards with 14” wb? 8.5 and up, preferably less than 32”. Please and thanks.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #302 on: July 10, 2019, 10:04:44 AM »
I’m fully back to being a weirdo: who knows some wider boards with 14” wb? 8.5 and up, preferably less than 32”. Please and thanks.
You sound like me. FA has a nice shape for an 8.5x31.875.
I'm forgetting the exact wheelbase, but I know its either 14" or a little over, but pretty sure 14" flat.
I'm skating a FA team board with those dimensions now and its great. It BBS wood on this one so I'm sure you can follow any brands that use BBS and try to find one using the shorter wheelbases, Polar might a good start.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #303 on: July 10, 2019, 10:14:15 AM »

how about a 9.2?
https://www.tactics.com/real/guerrero-the-tg-ii-92-skateboard-deck/green

Or this 8.5
https://www.tactics.com/roger-skateboards/sock-monkey-85-skateboard-deck/orange

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: July 10, 2019, 11:49:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You sound like me. FA has a nice shape for an 8.5x31.875.
I'm forgetting the exact wheelbase, but I know its either 14" or a little over, but pretty sure 14" flat.
I'm skating a FA team board with those dimensions now and its great. It BBS wood on this one so I'm sure you can follow any brands that use BBS and try to find one using the shorter wheelbases, Polar might a good start.

Ayye

Thanks! BBS seems pretty locked in to 14.25 and up. I think I’ve seen a narrower Polar with a 14.12334334 ish wb.
FA started out running a lot of 14” wb, so basically like fake big boards. Wide boards for little people. Lately I just them having mostly 14.25. Which is a fine all around wb. But I’m skating in a parking lot by myself, I’m trying to flip. Anyways. Thanks for the suggestions and I’ll keep an eye out for that shape! It’s a tyranny of 14.25 currently. I’ve been looking thru websites I’d never order from (tactics) trying to search wb. I’m a real treat at party’s.
Thanks for your help!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: July 10, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how about a 9.2?
https://www.tactics.com/real/guerrero-the-tg-ii-92-skateboard-deck/green

Or this 8.5
https://www.tactics.com/roger-skateboards/sock-monkey-85-skateboard-deck/orange

Will check! Better than my ‘plan’ to order a bigger board, and re drill/shorten. Thanks!!!

I’m semi surprised it’s so hard to find, say 8.5/14/31.5

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #306 on: July 10, 2019, 12:15:25 PM »

When you are there can you ask what concave molds they are using. I love Pennswood decks and I wish Scumco had stuck with them.

I actually ended up going with a friend who was buying his first board and got kinda wrapped up in that so I forgot to get measurements but I did chat with a guy at the shop who said the concave is a little different but pretty close to the older silver spoon/kiddie pool with the addition of a medium in-betweener concave to the line. Don't quote me on this as its totally a "friend of a friend said" kind of thing but what I was told is that Pennswood got the roof ripped off their building over the winter and was backed up on orders and that's why ScumCo went to control for this batch of decks.

I guess we'll see when the next batch drops if the move is permanent or if they'll go back to Pennswood or what, but I would definitely be sad to see ScumCo move away from Pennswood permanently since they have the Western PA connection. There's just something cool and beautiful about one the best and most creative small companies being able to get high quality wood from a small manufacturer that could theoretically just float their order down the Allegheny river to Pittsburgh like they used to do with timber.... actually that would be kinda cool to see even though it would ruin the boards.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #307 on: July 10, 2019, 01:34:20 PM »
2 out of 3  Scumco Pennswood have been warped. I liked the Control ones better.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #308 on: July 10, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »

You prolly already considered it but girl/choc big boys?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: July 10, 2019, 03:08:09 PM »

Are you in a warm/humid climate by chance? I'm just brainstorming here, but PW wood in the winter would be from a cold, dry climate and maybe they got warped in shipping/storage. Did you buy them all from the same place? Did you mistake the Dave Abair graphic for instructions and piss on the deck?

I don't know, I've never seen even a little warp in any of the ones in the shops around here but then again they probably wouldn't put them out on the racks if they were warped and I'm only like 50 miles away so there wouldn't be any dramatic changes in temperature/humidity. At any rate, mine is straight as Andy Roy's teeth and you're the first person I've heard complain of a warped ScumCo deck so I think you might just be unlucky.   

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #310 on: July 10, 2019, 05:05:49 PM »
Heard girls and choc wood distributor has changed wood shops or something was PSI but I’m not  sure right now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: July 10, 2019, 06:06:56 PM »
Possible but that would be huge....Seems like PS had a hard time keeping up when they had FA, Element etc.  Crail is a ton of boards.....maybe people are getting confused with the new laser etching......

smg1138

• Rep: 50
« Reply #312 on: July 10, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »
Not sure what wood shop Girl is using these days, but the new wood is definitely way better. I just started skating again after a 4 year hiatus and it's like night and day compared to the old stuff. Feels much stiffer with significantly more concave. Glad they finally addressed the wood quality because I've always liked their shapes and shorter weelbases. Especially loving the G023 shape right now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #313 on: July 10, 2019, 09:45:12 PM »
Same shop better quality....and if it's not the same shop....same country....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You prolly already considered it but girl/choc big boys?

You right, was gonna get the girl/chocolate couch shape. That’s a pretty big board, but it’ll be fun. Anyways, good call, the crail stuff can be wide with short wb.

That roger board is basically the exact right size. Roger is one of those companies that I thought was worth supporting....and then just never did. Even worse with Strangelove (and whatever they were before that) allllll of those graphics are super dope, and I like their shapes....and then I just end up grabbing an anti hero and walking out of the shop. So yeah, maybe I’ll turn it around and get that roger. They ps?

Warped boards don’t super fuck with me AFTER they are set up. The main problem, for me, is that warped boards have also been dead boards. And that’s always a bummer.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2019, 05:16:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you in a warm/humid climate by chance? I'm just brainstorming here, but PW wood in the winter would be from a cold, dry climate and maybe they got warped in shipping/storage. Did you buy them all from the same place? Did you mistake the Dave Abair graphic for instructions and piss on the deck?

I don't know, I've never seen even a little warp in any of the ones in the shops around here but then again they probably wouldn't put them out on the racks if they were warped and I'm only like 50 miles away so there wouldn't be any dramatic changes in temperature/humidity. At any rate, mine is straight as Andy Roy's teeth and you're the first person I've heard complain of a warped ScumCo deck so I think you might just be unlucky.

Central Europe, I think it is either from shipping or storage, in addition to the warp the last board also had another small defect (image attached).
I am pretty positive this logo board is by Pennswood as the other logo boards (I assume Control) felt different, had a different shape and had no Made in USA on it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:18:48 AM by oneOone »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: July 12, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »
Central Europe, I think it is either from shipping or storage, in addition to the warp the last board also had another small defect (image attached).
I am pretty positive this logo board is by Pennswood as the other logo boards (I assume Control) felt different, had a different shape and had no Made in USA on it.

Ahh yeah I'd imagine that transatlantic journey might fuck a board up, especially if its pressed in our cold dry winter. I wonder if that's part of why some companies use a Euro woodshop for their overseas decks, I always assumed it was a logistics/cost thing but I guess that could be a reason too.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:09:44 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 146
« Reply #317 on: July 12, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

had two scumcos one was warped in an odd way and the other delammed on me 2 days after setting it up.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2019, 05:28:16 PM »
i bought a 917 boogie deck, like this:

https://thepremierstore.com/products/boogie-deck

yeah, it's butt ugly, but i liked the shape. curious as to what the woodshop is tho. i would guess bbs/generator. defs has no engravings, so i guess ps stix can be ruled out? no made in so and so to be seen anywhere. it had a tiny hole poked beneath the sticker that looked like one of those marker holes that usually tell you which shape it is. i forgot who does this... something is off though. i looked up all the shops carrying this board and couldn't find anyone listing the woodshop. it reminds me most of a 5boro board i had a few years back, way more than it does any generator or ps stix.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
i bought a 917 boogie deck, like this:

https://thepremierstore.com/products/boogie-deck

yeah, it's butt ugly, but i liked the shape. curious as to what the woodshop is tho. i would guess bbs/generator. defs has no engravings, so i guess ps stix can be ruled out? no made in so and so to be seen anywhere. it had a tiny hole poked beneath the sticker that looked like one of those marker holes that usually tell you which shape it is. i forgot who does this... something is off though. i looked up all the shops carrying this board and couldn't find anyone listing the woodshop. it reminds me most of a 5boro board i had a few years back, way more than it does any generator or ps stix.

With that sticker, definitely Generator.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
thx a bunch, good to know. my favourite decks as well.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #321 on: July 13, 2019, 06:59:32 PM »
Brothers! Sisters! Children!
Pay Attention!
I just got a brand new chocolate and can confirm the wood feels better. PSI has stepped up thee game. It feels poppy and mellow and the nose is how I’d say feels low.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #322 on: July 14, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
Anyone know who uses a stamp like this. Back truck holes

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #323 on: July 15, 2019, 01:14:26 AM »
If I recall correct the classic eagle from AH should fulfill your needshttp://
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2019, 06:45:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ahh yeah I'd imagine that transatlantic journey might fuck a board up, especially if its pressed in our cold dry winter. I wonder if that's part of why some companies use a Euro woodshop for their overseas decks, I always assumed it was a logistics/cost thing but I guess that could be a reason too.

Anyways, I thought the Control decks were a new thing - I wasn't aware they'd done ScumCo decks before and I thought all the logo boards were Pennswood but I could be wrong. Maybe he did runs at other woodshops or something, I'll ask one of the local shop owners next time I stop by and see if I can get a definitive answer on that.

I mean, the wood comes in sheets from either Canada or China so there's absolutely no difference at all.

European Maple is too soft compared to te Canadian.

Hence this is probably just a bad batch, which could happen.

As EUROS we deal with shipped boards all the time, and as much as I understand the issue you're pointing out this must be the most 'murican statement ever.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #325 on: July 16, 2019, 02:52:06 AM »
Just got my first PS Stix board in over 10 years after riding nothing but Generator and Chapman. I got a GX1000 board.

Within the first 10 minutes of riding it I have determined that this might be the worst board I've ever skated in 20 years.

First, the tail is way the fuck too square'd. You can feel the board heavily scraping the ground every time you try a flip trick, and flip tricks feel really sloppy and slow. The squared nose doesn't bother me, but that tail is useless. It didn't look that bad at the shop, but once I got home and gripped it I had an "oh shit" moment.

Second and worst of all, this is the shittiest wood I've ever skated. The board feels like it was pressed with old rotting wood.. no stiffness whatsoever. You feel the tail flexing when ollieing. It feels dead; no pop at all and you can feel that thing flexing just pushing around, it is just so soft. Zero torsional stiffness at all. My 1-year old Hotel Blue (Chapman) that was beaten to hell and somehow never snapped feels much stiffer.

I've got about an hour on this board and I'm getting a Real this afternoon. How PS has that big of a following is beyond me.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:55:38 AM by TheBoognish »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: July 16, 2019, 03:43:47 AM »
Just got my first PS Stix board in over 10 years after riding nothing but Generator and Chapman. I got a GX1000 board.

Within the first 10 minutes of riding it I have determined that this might be the worst board I've ever skated in 20 years.

First, the tail is way the fuck too square'd. You can feel the board heavily scraping the ground every time you try a flip trick, and flip tricks feel really sloppy and slow. The squared nose doesn't bother me, but that tail is useless. It didn't look that bad at the shop, but once I got home and gripped it I had an "oh shit" moment.

Second and worst of all, this is the shittiest wood I've ever skated. The board feels like it was pressed with old rotting wood.. no stiffness whatsoever. You feel the tail flexing when ollieing. It feels dead; no pop at all and you can feel that thing flexing just pushing around, it is just so soft. Zero torsional stiffness at all. My 1-year old Hotel Blue (Chapman) that was beaten to hell and somehow never snapped feels much stiffer.

I've got about an hour on this board and I'm getting a Real this afternoon. How PS has that big of a following is beyond me.

I haven’t had ps for a minute, but this is maybe a 1 of 3 experience for me. I’ve definitely taken a ps board off, thrown it into a closet, and come back to it months later and loved it tho. Maybe it just needs to cook/settle out a bit (I’ve got no idea why this happens but several boards seemed sooooo dead and then a few months later felt perfect)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #327 on: July 16, 2019, 04:34:48 AM »
Haven't skated a PS board in ages, I have s Welcome one I'll be setting in a couple weeks.
I'm terrified.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #328 on: July 16, 2019, 08:05:47 AM »

I think I had similar thoughts when I got my first one about 6 months ago. The square shape certainly took me a session or two to figure out, but once I got my stuff dialed back in I love it! Maybe what you received was a one off issue, every Quasi board I have ridden is very snappy pop, I will also say they sog out after about 2-3 weeks. Maybe GX is using different glues or veneers.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #329 on: July 16, 2019, 08:37:15 AM »

What was the concave on your logo deck like? My old scumco got stolen and I just got a new logo deck yesterday that's from control (or at least I assume that's where it's from, it has a Made in Canada sticker) and the concave is pretty mellow. I'd say it's mellower than any of the Pennswood decks I've seen, and it seems thinner/lighter too but Pennswood decks are pretty sturdy so that's not really a surprise. I'm still waiting for the trucks and grip I ordered so I haven't skated it yet but I'm excited to see how it handles.

My friend who doesn't even skate bought a Troika pennswood deck that's marked "8.38 steep" so I'm going to set them up at the same time so I can compare them.