Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144784 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 26, 2019, 06:20:34 AM »
Anyone know which woodshed does Tired?
Almost 100% positive that is PS
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #361 on: July 26, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »
So dog town is also ps stix

It has a stamp reading
„Hand crafted in USA by ps stix“

Very mellow and has a few chips on two of the veneer layers

PMA

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #362 on: July 26, 2019, 06:58:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Correctomundo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #363 on: July 26, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Just got my first PS Stix board in over 10 years after riding nothing but Generator and Chapman. I got a GX1000 board.

Within the first 10 minutes of riding it I have determined that this might be the worst board I've ever skated in 20 years.

First, the tail is way the fuck too square'd. You can feel the board heavily scraping the ground every time you try a flip trick, and flip tricks feel really sloppy and slow. The squared nose doesn't bother me, but that tail is useless. It didn't look that bad at the shop, but once I got home and gripped it I had an "oh shit" moment.

Second and worst of all, this is the shittiest wood I've ever skated. The board feels like it was pressed with old rotting wood.. no stiffness whatsoever. You feel the tail flexing when ollieing. It feels dead; no pop at all and you can feel that thing flexing just pushing around, it is just so soft. Zero torsional stiffness at all. My 1-year old Hotel Blue (Chapman) that was beaten to hell and somehow never snapped feels much stiffer.

I've got about an hour on this board and I'm getting a Real this afternoon. How PS has that big of a following is beyond me.
[close]

I think I had similar thoughts when I got my first one about 6 months ago. The square shape certainly took me a session or two to figure out, but once I got my stuff dialed back in I love it! Maybe what you received was a one off issue, every Quasi board I have ridden is very snappy pop, I will also say they sog out after about 2-3 weeks. Maybe GX is using different glues or veneers.

That's the real issue; you can go to any woodshop and pick your veneer and glue quality. So just because it's PSStix, doesn't mean it's the same.

I just came from Primitive (BBS I think)->Clutch->Dlx. The Primitive somehow went dead after two weeks, just a clunky mess (fucking great 8.25" shape tho, one of the best 'squaroundfull' noses and tails out...)

Clutch (skatewarehouse shop deck) was nice, felt PSstix-like but didn't sog out, it razor tailed fast because I suck at manuals but was better at them on this board.

Moved to DLX and FFS it was like riding a watered down pillow after a few days...I've had this happen a number of times...and seemingly tied to Krookeds (REAL Full SEs aways felt great for the life of the board).

So I said fuck it and went to Dwindle, specifically an impact light FULL shape. Light, stiff and crispy as fuck. Ollies just crack. I've always been a fan of their wood.

Honestly, it's amazing the quality difference out of the shrink with dwindle, it just looks and feels like a better product, right down to the slightly countersunk truck holes through the carbon fiber.

Going to stick with the Dwindle for the foreseeable future, especially if I can keep nabbing the 8.3s in Full, impact lights (medium kicks/concave this time but prefer steep kicks full concave). R7s are also great if you don't go impact ($$).

Hell, I bet the R7 darkstars feel better than most.

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #364 on: July 27, 2019, 09:37:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just got my first PS Stix board in over 10 years after riding nothing but Generator and Chapman. I got a GX1000 board.

Within the first 10 minutes of riding it I have determined that this might be the worst board I've ever skated in 20 years.

First, the tail is way the fuck too square'd. You can feel the board heavily scraping the ground every time you try a flip trick, and flip tricks feel really sloppy and slow. The squared nose doesn't bother me, but that tail is useless. It didn't look that bad at the shop, but once I got home and gripped it I had an "oh shit" moment.

Second and worst of all, this is the shittiest wood I've ever skated. The board feels like it was pressed with old rotting wood.. no stiffness whatsoever. You feel the tail flexing when ollieing. It feels dead; no pop at all and you can feel that thing flexing just pushing around, it is just so soft. Zero torsional stiffness at all. My 1-year old Hotel Blue (Chapman) that was beaten to hell and somehow never snapped feels much stiffer.

I've got about an hour on this board and I'm getting a Real this afternoon. How PS has that big of a following is beyond me.
[close]

I think I had similar thoughts when I got my first one about 6 months ago. The square shape certainly took me a session or two to figure out, but once I got my stuff dialed back in I love it! Maybe what you received was a one off issue, every Quasi board I have ridden is very snappy pop, I will also say they sog out after about 2-3 weeks. Maybe GX is using different glues or veneers.
[close]

That's the real issue; you can go to any woodshop and pick your veneer and glue quality. So just because it's PSStix, doesn't mean it's the same.

I just came from Primitive (BBS I think)->Clutch->Dlx. The Primitive somehow went dead after two weeks, just a clunky mess (fucking great 8.25" shape tho, one of the best 'squaroundfull' noses and tails out...)

Clutch (skatewarehouse shop deck) was nice, felt PSstix-like but didn't sog out, it razor tailed fast because I suck at manuals but was better at them on this board.

Moved to DLX and FFS it was like riding a watered down pillow after a few days...I've had this happen a number of times...and seemingly tied to Krookeds (REAL Full SEs aways felt great for the life of the board).

So I said fuck it and went to Dwindle, specifically an impact light FULL shape. Light, stiff and crispy as fuck. Ollies just crack. I've always been a fan of their wood.

Honestly, it's amazing the quality difference out of the shrink with dwindle, it just looks and feels like a better product, right down to the slightly countersunk truck holes through the carbon fiber.

Going to stick with the Dwindle for the foreseeable future, especially if I can keep nabbing the 8.3s in Full, impact lights (medium kicks/concave this time but prefer steep kicks full concave). R7s are also great if you don't go impact ($$).

The crucial problem with the elusive impact light. You will always find some 7.75 or 8.1 elcamino Wilson or something. Now it's that or an 8.75 madness. Impacts are amazing though and the paint quality is also very impressive out of the wrap on those boards.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #365 on: July 27, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Correctomundo

Thanks much.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #366 on: July 27, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »
So after giving the GX1000 board a second chance, I still don’t like it at all. Shape still doesn’t work for me personally, and I’ve got old beat up boards in my closet that are so much stiffer. Short, squared tail still doesn’t work for me. Nose is short too, the whole set up just feels weird with Ventures and I sure as shit ain’t changing trucks.

It literally feels like an old board that was skated to death.

I’ve got a Morning Bell (Canadian brand that uses South Central) coming in this week and I’m stoked. I have never broken a South Central board, however I haven’t skated a lot, they’re kinda rare in Canada so I’m glad I found this brand.

PandaCult_901

• Rep: -3
« Reply #367 on: July 27, 2019, 06:19:11 PM »
I keep hearing great things about PS Stix, but I just broke my second flip deck in like a month and a half...

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #368 on: July 27, 2019, 06:59:56 PM »
I don’t think Gx shoulda made boards. It’s more of a brand than it is a crew. Oh well.
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: July 27, 2019, 08:41:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
The crucial problem with the elusive impact light. You will always find some 7.75 or 8.1 elcamino Wilson or something. Now it's that or an 8.75 madness. Impacts are amazing though and the paint quality is also very impressive out of the wrap on those boards.

I'd love insight into dwindle's runs, clearly they press what's popular (and what they want to push and maybe, what the pros are asking for). The full shape AND full concave/steep kick combos in either R7 or impact light are so fucking elusive...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #370 on: July 29, 2019, 01:51:32 AM »
I keep hearing great things about PS Stix, but I just broke my second flip deck in like a month and a half...
Why are you skating Flip?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

PandaCult_901

• Rep: -3
« Reply #371 on: July 29, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Why are you skating Flip?

Nostalgia and wanting to support riders that appreciate and grew up idolizing - in this case, Arto.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #372 on: July 31, 2019, 07:52:04 AM »
In his nine club Shane said April is bbs

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #373 on: July 31, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »

I think i'll be trying one of their boards out soon then. I've been waiting forever to find out who made them

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #374 on: July 31, 2019, 01:15:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think i'll be trying one of their boards out soon then. I've been waiting forever to find out who made them

I'll try one when they put out a graphic that isn't a primitive knock of

ballintoohard

« Reply #375 on: July 31, 2019, 08:12:07 PM »
Got the Cyrus Bennett Call me 917 slick with the head dropping acid. It is the EXACT same shape as my beloved 35th North shop deck. If anyone can find the Vincent Touzery with the space ship in a store I will pay shipping to get it.,

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2019, 01:33:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Literally have a Hjalte 8.5 right here (dragon on it) that is 14.38.  Had a few team decks including this one: https://www.amazon.com/POLARSKATECO-Polar-Where-Here-Skateboard/dp/B07K8S6876 that I just measured as 14.38. Unless WB is not measured from center to center of the bolt holes.
[close]

Well shit. You seem to be right. Just measured my Polar 8.5” that I have waiting and it’s 14.375” and not 14.5” despite what it says on Polar’s website and on the board. Bummer.  :(

Just found out I've been living a lie with my 8.375" Polar, which I rather liked even though it felt small from the start. It too has a 14.375" wheelbase, not 14.5" like Polar states. A disgrace! All trust is gone right out the window as did the deck! Back to DLX 14.5" which at least seems to hold true. There really is no trusting anyone's measurements except your own.

ballintoohard

« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »
If it skates well who cares?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #378 on: August 01, 2019, 09:51:39 PM »

A nerd like me.  :-[

I briefly tried a mate's new board yesterday, a Real 8.25" full and was surprised how good it felt and that made me question everything I believe in. I am very susceptible to gear madness cuz it provides a great excuse for sucking on the board. Changed to a Real 8.5" twin tail. Hoping it'll soothe my madness for now. 😬

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #379 on: August 01, 2019, 11:39:41 PM »
Someone try the wood over mdcn in germany? They make a lot of brands in europe,some years ago they made for polarr

chinese woodshop named xcel or something.

boards are meh imo.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2019, 12:55:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I briefly tried a mate's new board yesterday, a Real 8.25" full and was surprised how good it felt and that made me question everything I believe in. I am very susceptible to gear madness cuz it provides a great excuse for sucking on the board. Changed to a Real 8.5" twin tail. Hoping it'll soothe my madness for now. 😬
I feel you bro. I've been reading lately that Polar sizing are kind of in the wrong side to not say fucked up
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #381 on: August 02, 2019, 01:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have serious madness as well but Deluxe is pretty much the safest bet in my book. I've never stepped on an AH/Real deck that didn't feel good and have great pop. They last a long time too. You can still have madness even just within the Real line though - twin tail, popslickles, SE, low-pro (thats going to be my next real deck) and so on and so forth. I apologize in advance to your bank account.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2019, 06:33:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have serious madness as well but Deluxe is pretty much the safest bet in my book. I've never stepped on an AH/Real deck that didn't feel good and have great pop. They last a long time too. You can still have madness even just within the Real line though - twin tail, popslickles, SE, low-pro (thats going to be my next real deck) and so on and so forth. I apologize in advance to your bank account.

I've bought a whole bunch of Reals and plan on doing so. Loved the normal 8.38" then got another and never got along with it for some reason. The full 8.38" I loved on some sessions and hated on others. The 8.5" with a 14.75" wb is kinda nice but then again might be a bit too long on occasion. The 8.25" full I briefly tried felt amazingly good, which surprises me as sometimes even 8.38" feels too narrow. the 8.3" twin tail feels too small in every way. The 8.5" twin tail I can't say much about yet. Had my first sessions on one today and I pretty much always hate new stuff. Didn't hate it, didn't fall in love. Time will tell. But yes, the madness is real easy with just DLX boards in a narrow width range. 😊

I guess I can mostly blame all this kooking on recovering from my broken leg and trying to blame everything on the equipment instead of accepting that I'm recovering and not good anyway.  ;D

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #383 on: August 02, 2019, 08:47:20 AM »
If you want another interesting dlx one try the Antihero hurricanes. They have that weird bevel cut on the rails that is supposed to make it easier to lock in or something. I got it right before I went on my scumco binge so I haven't actually done anything except a little bit of flat ground and a few crappy slappies on it but I really like the shape and the deck is gorgeous. I have the 8.25 Russo one but the GT is the same size and even better looking.

circle one

« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »
If you want another interesting dlx one try the Antihero hurricanes. They have that weird bevel cut on the rails that is supposed to make it easier to lock in or something. I got it right before I went on my scumco binge so I haven't actually done anything except a little bit of flat ground and a few crappy slappies on it but I really like the shape and the deck is gorgeous. I have the 8.25 Russo one but the GT is the same size and even better looking.

I love this detail. I also really like when the tops aren't routed. I think thats what FOS was talking about when he referred to his new shape as being a "razor top"?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »

I am Skating an April deck right now and it’s definitely not PS Stix and from MX, so I guess by default it’s BBS. It’s really thin. Thinnest layers I’ve ever had and the shape is very round making the 8.5 not feel bulky. Also, concave is medium/low.

Stats are 32.25/7/14.4/6.5

I would say it’s a safe basic shape.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2019, 11:29:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am Skating an April deck right now and it’s definitely not PS Stix and from MX, so I guess by default it’s BBS. It’s really thin. Thinnest layers I’ve ever had and the shape is very round making the 8.5 not feel bulky. Also, concave is medium/low.

Stats are 32.25/7/14.4/6.5

I would say it’s a safe basic shape.
Is BBS
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #387 on: August 04, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »
General question to anyone, are Habitat decks now exclusively BBS after the re-merge with Workshop, or are they still splitting production with PS? A few of their newer decks have the square nose mellow shape I really dig, like Hockey, but I don't want it to be a dice roll on the woodshop (again, like Hockey).

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #388 on: August 04, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »
General question to anyone, are Habitat decks now exclusively BBS after the re-merge with Workshop, or are they still splitting production with PS? A few of their newer decks have the square nose mellow shape I really dig, like Hockey, but I don't want it to be a dice roll on the woodshop (again, like Hockey).

I’m currently skating one of the nasa boards and I’m pretty sure it’s PS. Has the laser etching and has the serial number or whatever that started with PS in the laser etching

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #389 on: August 04, 2019, 09:28:11 PM »
I’ve had a mixed bag of Habitats from a couple series, I bought a few of the bobs burgers ones from the sale rack and those are PS. All the Harper series appear to be BBS and nasa are all PS. You can discern them pretty easily, PS have the seal between front bolt holes, not always a laser now it seems and BBS have a made in Mexico sticker in the same place