Author Topic: Hard Rock Maple boards, what’s the deal?  (Read 3577 times)

Torre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Hard Rock Maple boards, what’s the deal?
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »
Hey everybody I wanted to post this to see if anyone know about these boards.

Santa Cruz/ Creature are releasing boards tagged “Hard Rock Maple” suggesting that they are stronger but are being sold for cheaper as price point deck. So if they really have better wood, then why are they cheaper? Is it a gimmic or are they really stronger/ better wood? Has anyone tried these?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
Re: Hard Rock Maple boards, what’s the deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 09:25:27 AM »
Hard Rock Maple is a harder, more dense wood than the traditional maple used in decks.  It has less flex and is a little heavier.  No idea why it's cheaper but my guess is its either more abundant or easier to manufacturer

usedtostillskate

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »
I've had several Santa Cruz decks including ones labeled "hard Rock maple". I personally didn't notice a difference, but I don't consider it a bad thing. I liked all Santa Cruz decks I've had and felt that they have all been good quality. That being said I broke every one of them. If you haven't ever tried a Santa Cruz, it's worth trying either way, but I wouldn't expect a big difference with their hard rock maple. If you go on the NHS website they have all sorts of flashy titles for their decks, which might be relevant or just old fashioned marketing.

ungzilla

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »
it;s probably to distract you from the made at the bottom of the marianas trench by merslaves sticker

Torre

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 05:41:20 PM »
Ok Now I know why hard rock maple is cheaper. Look at how this board broke essentially by delamination
Only shit boards break like this

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 08:20:31 PM »
I think it's "hard rock maple" because they can't say "Canadian hard rock maple" and they want to make their price points sound better. Another marketing term from NHS.

Torre

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 08:10:09 AM »
I think it's "hard rock maple" because they can't say "Canadian hard rock maple" and they want to make their price points sound better. Another marketing term from NHS.
You’re right I didn’t think of that. Here’s a screenshot of how they describe them

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 08:57:55 AM »
yeap, double checked.

Dwindle also differentiates Canadian maple and other maple construction and allegedly NHS has moved some its production to DSM. I bought one of those blind cheapo logo decks 2 years ago from SW on sale for under 20$ and had the exact same delam situation.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 07:41:33 AM »
Hardwood means it grew In China or something.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 12:30:20 AM »
I tried a Creature one and it was the worst piece of shit I've skated in my life.
Cheap ass china wood.
Don't get it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.