Author Topic: cheap bearings  (Read 8057 times)

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: cheap bearings
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »
Hay what was that bearing that wee man was talking about on the Nigel show. He was showing off his Nullity brand and was talking about Watson. Then he said modern bearings suck and I was like yeah they fucking do.

I looked them up but they were sold out of ceramics. If my memory is correct they were us made and the standard bearings was inexpensive. Also when someone my age mentions a brand that doesn’t pay them I listen.

Take a close look at your plastic races. Quality is way down. I see air bubbles in the pour almost every time I open a red. That collects ledge and pool block funk. If you not running a ceramic kit it will slow or unseat your crooked grind wheel. It will sound like a fart when you spin it.

Dont blame the bearings man.

Halfcab180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »
I haven’t skated anything other than Reds since I was way younger. There are definitely cheaper bearings out there if you are on a really tight budget, but I think the extra $5-10 over ultra-cheap bearings is worth it. As long as I clean and lubricate my bearings once or twice a year, I can easily get a few years or more out of a single set.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 05:09:17 PM »
Not sure if you can find ninja bearings where you are but the quality is top notch for the price

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

GasTheHostage

• Rep: -23
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 10:53:51 AM »
Bronson G3 are decent bearings. The only problem I have with them is their durability. Straight outta the box, they are much faster and smoother than bones reds. I would even argue that their speed is a worthy match to bones swiss. However, as time goes by they seem to wear down faster and don't last as long. Its not that they're fragile or that you will break em easily, just that they don't keep their performance as long as reds.

thebacker

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
Reds for cheap bearings.

Bones Swiss if you have the $$$.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »
My guess is that the new rubber shielded ML bearings are hard to beat for the price.

Lord Quas

• Rep: 18
  • enter the liquid realm
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »
Modus Blacks, if available - I clean them first though, since they come prelubed with some hella thick gross shit that attracts literally everything. After that, they're the best 10 dollars you could spend.

I also mustve been lucky with the pair of Andale Blues ive got. Goin 10+ months strong, no issues.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:04:09 PM by Lord Quas »

Quote from: GAY
I've never broken a board and it's a bigger source of shame for me and my family than my homosexuality.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2019, 10:35:39 PM »
don't be stupid

GasTheHostage

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 05:40:46 AM »
Modus Blacks, if available - I clean them first though, since they come prelubed with some hella thick gross shit that attracts literally everything. After that, they're the best 10 dollars you could spend.

I also mustve been lucky with the pair of Andale Blues ive got. Goin 10+ months strong, no issues.
Ive heard good things about Andale bearings. They any good?

GasTheHostage

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 05:44:19 AM »
I prefer the cheapshots over shakejunt and indy's $10 offerings. bronson is all placebo orange pill marketing
Honestly, Bronson does overhype their beings in their description, but they for sure aren't terrible. Outta the box, they are fast as fuck, smooth, but rather loud compared to other bearings (im talking about the G3 the RAWS are even louder). However, they don't last very long, not that they break of disfigure, just they lose their quality and speed faster than other bearings. I can guarantee they'll last way longer than 2 weeks, but probably not as long as a set of reds or super reds. But for $25, I would say its a good deal.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 07:21:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I prefer the cheapshots over shakejunt and indy's $10 offerings. bronson is all placebo orange pill marketing
[close]
Honestly, Bronson does overhype their beings in their description, but they for sure aren't terrible. Outta the box, they are fast as fuck, smooth, but rather loud compared to other bearings (im talking about the G3 the RAWS are even louder). However, they don't last very long, not that they break of disfigure, just they lose their quality and speed faster than other bearings. I can guarantee they'll last way longer than 2 weeks, but probably not as long as a set of reds or super reds. But for $25, I would say its a good deal.

Had a set of Andale 7s, they were miserable out of the box - had to clean and relube them straight away. I still have them on a beater board, shieldless.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 07:26:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had a set of g3's in since December and they're absolutely fine, great even. Much better than any sets of Reds I've had lately in terms of needing maintenance, which I feel like I'm always having to try to breath life back into. I had to clean one bearing that got some dirt in it and that's been it so far.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 07:29:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Reds for cheap bearings.

Bones Swiss if you have the $$$.
[close]

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 08:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I've had a set of g3's in since December and they're absolutely fine, great even. Much better than any sets of Reds I've had lately in terms of needing maintenance, which I feel like I'm always having to try to breath life back into. I had to clean one bearing that got some dirt in it and that's been it so far.

G3s get a lot of hate around here.   I'm a sample size of one, but I haven't had issues with them.

I have way too many setups right now.  I am currently running Swiss 6, Swiss, Reds (two sets), G3s, Churchill 7s, Zealous, and Daddies Ceramics. I also have used Indy 7s and Autobahn in the last year.  The two variations of Swiss are the top tier - but G3s have been treating me as well as Zealous and better than the rest. I've had to clean them once, but they have as many hours on them as all but the Swiss 6 in the last year.  At this point I would probably buy G3s again before Reds.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2019, 09:00:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

G3s get a lot of hate around here.   I'm a sample size of one, but I haven't had issues with them.

I have way too many setups right now.  I am currently running Swiss 6, Swiss, Reds (two sets), G3s, Churchill 7s, Zealous, and Daddies Ceramics. I also have used Indy 7s and Autobahn in the last year.  The two variations of Swiss are the top tier - but G3s have been treating me as well as Zealous and better than the rest. I've had to clean them once, but they have as many hours on them as all but the Swiss 6 in the last year.  At this point I would probably buy G3s again before Reds.

My experience with reds have has been that they are great bearings at first. They are faster than the other cheaper bearings I have tried, but they have always started to fall apart within the first 3 or 4 months.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »
I just go to zoomies and have someone fuck the clerk while you empty the case. Maybe trade weed if you don’t know any one who can lay down the pipe piece

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Running Swiss six / G3s (no shields) on my street (small) and park (large) setups

Two Cruisers are set up with Seismic Tekton 6-Balls and Zealous; the Seismics are soo nice.

Andale 7s, Spitfire Burners, Indy Blacks (many of these are fucked) and 7 backup swiss 6 sitting in plastic bags.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
been rocking reds since day one.. nothing wrong with them. good cheap bearings
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

GasTheHostage

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2019, 05:47:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

They get hated on cuz they go fast as fuck but don't really keep the speed as it wears down. They don't really last as long as others. Yeah, I agree they are better than the reds, but its just something in bronson bearings that make them go so fast. BTW are the swiss worth it cuz i might buy just to see

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2019, 07:49:48 AM »
BTW are the swiss worth it cuz i might buy just to see

For me, yes.  They are faster and more bomber. 6s are worth the extra over regular swiss.   At this point I'll probably always run some type of swiss in my main setup.

Other people I know don't want to clean bearings and would rather just skate cheap ones and throw them out.  I'm ok cleaning them when they need it to keep them fast.

I'm curious about the Swiss L2.  They are sealed better. In theory they may be a bit slower out of the box, but if they keep cleaner then in the long term they would be faster.  If the shop had them in when I bought the regular swiss I would have tried the L2 instead.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2019, 10:03:37 AM »
Swiss Six for life, noticeably faster and they sound/feel amazing when dry (with shields) but I clean/lube them when they get to that point.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 592
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't curse here often but FUCK NO. I have tried 3 different pairs and everytime they have been complete and utter ass. As a PROD fan I tried them more than I should and was heartbroken everytime. Just stick to Reds and if you want another brand I recommend the Shake Junt ABEC 7, although not as cheap they do hold up well.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

GasTheHostage

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2019, 11:08:31 AM »
Expand Quote
BTW are the swiss worth it cuz i might buy just to see
[close]

For me, yes.  They are faster and more bomber. 6s are worth the extra over regular swiss.   At this point I'll probably always run some type of swiss in my main setup.

Other people I know don't want to clean bearings and would rather just skate cheap ones and throw them out.  I'm ok cleaning them when they need it to keep them fast.

I'm curious about the Swiss L2.  They are sealed better. In theory they may be a bit slower out of the box, but if they keep cleaner then in the long term they would be faster.  If the shop had them in when I bought the regular swiss I would have tried the L2 instead.

Alright then, im perfectly fine with cleaning bearings so I guess I could consider. I don't really plan on buying the swiss ($60 for bearings!!) but I was just curious. Honestly im one of those people that use a bearing that are crazy fast and cheap (Bronson G3 usually) and maybe clean them a few times but after they lose their speed I just toss em. Basically I buy new bearings about every 3-5 months depending on how much i skate. Thanks!

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I don't curse here often but FUCK NO. I have tried 3 different pairs and everytime they have been complete and utter ass. As a PROD fan I tried them more than I should and was heartbroken everytime. Just stick to Reds and if you want another brand I recommend the Shake Junt ABEC 7, although not as cheap they do hold up well.

The new andale Swiss are fantastic

BMCsteve

• Rep: 56
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2019, 04:27:02 AM »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2019, 04:55:02 AM »
bought some "rush bearings abec 7 titanium coated" for 20e in october, they're holding well despite the lack of cleaning (no acetone under my hand )

GasTheHostage

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2019, 05:46:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

The new andale Swiss are fantastic
Alright ill know not to try them I guess. Quite surprised they didn't work well. Think I might try out the new bones big balls reds that came out recently.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2019, 05:53:07 AM »
New Six Ball Reds just came out

https://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=97245
$25 aint cheep
throw another $20 and you can get the best
why bother

GasTheHostage

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2019, 05:57:41 AM »
Expand Quote
$25 aint cheep
throw another $20 and you can get the best
why bother
The fuck you mean $25 aint cheap. Thats a decent price for bearings. Plus it costs $35 to level up to swiss bro, sheesh now 60 bucks is too much for bearings

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2019, 07:01:17 AM »
New Six Ball Reds just came out

https://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=97245

Damn, definitely gotta try these next. Everyone seems to really hype up the super 6 swiss but I'm just never going to shell out.