Author Topic: Jake Phelps cause of death  (Read 84126 times)

jonnysheen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -66
Re: Jake Phelps cause of death
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 07:59:15 AM »
I always want to know why folk died, especially if they are too young to just die of old age. Part of it is probably just morbid curiosity but it is also a self interest thing. I'm 45 and when people not that much older than me croak it's a bit fucking scary, and hey, it might be helpful to know what it was.
I also think that trying to brush it under the carpet in the name of 'privacy' is a bit of a poor show. We should talk about death more often and more openly, and whether Jake died from drugs or suicide or just shitty luck, it should be OK to talk about it.
At this point I just want to give full Credit to Bens family and friends for being open about his suicide. It's not an easy thing to be open about, but that openness is to everyones benefit hopefully.

Thank you. 

Its in human nature to know cause of death.    To avoid it, and to know what the dead went through.

bo golden

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 07:59:27 AM »
the olympics had phelps knocked off.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 08:04:46 AM »
the olympics had phelps knocked off.

HA!

They probably knew he would show up and make every skater roll in to the deep end of a bowl before they were allowed to start their run. He would tell all the Olympic Committee losers to "check their miles" while they dragged him out of the arena.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 08:14:48 AM »
Why are we acting all shocked that folks on the skateboarding internet message board are wanting to know how one of the largest and most vocal celebrities in the industry suddenly died with no mention of cause of death being released. Of course we want to know. Just like we want to know how other celebrities died. What is the first question you think of when you hear about someone famous' unexpected death... "How did it happen?"

It is completely natural to ask and not, in my opinion, disrespectful to speculate, especially on a platform that more or less exists for rumor. It would be disrespectful to perpetually bring it up to Phelps' family and friends. If they don't want to talk about it, that is their right and we shouldn't bother them. But to act like it is somehow supremely forbidden to talk about this is moronic.

Phelps mysterious death, and it is only mysterious because they haven't released any info on it, is probably the biggest news in skating this year, and this year has been chock full of skate news. Frankly, the defensiveness of everybody towards inquiries makes it all the more fascinating.

All that being said, unless I hear otherwise, it's obviously drugs.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »
Dude, I’m totally curious but demanding to know like as if were entitled to that information because we skate too is lame.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 08:41:05 AM »
Dude, I’m totally curious but demanding to know like as if were entitled to that information because we skate too is lame.
  Nobody did that tho.  Did they?  Its not that we are entitled but its that some people ARE entitled to know and they do know  but theyre withholding the info even tho it was jakes life not theirs. There are corporate interests involved along with people who care but are dumb and think a cover up is the way to go. What your calling "that information" i'll just refer to as "the truth".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:49:05 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3422
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »
Coroners report official cause of death: crust

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting to know the cause of death, but what more do you want? He died while playing guitar. You can assume drugs or lifestyle had a part in it, but the family isn’t going to ask for an autopsy to answer what is clearly a heart attack. We’re skaters, the medical system sucks, and shit happens.
Also, would it really help to reveal his death was drug-related? Most fiends I know would be psyched to know you can have a show on viceland and be widely known while maintaining a steady junk habit. Ben was young and taken way too soon, Phelps lived every day at 100% and made it older than my own dad.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »
I am actually not curious.

It's none of my business.

Shalom

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone who says they dont want to know the cause of death are full of shit.
[close]
Most of us aren’t conspiracy obsessed kooks needing to make sense of a man dying in his old age

56 is not old age.

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »
/thread

Chim Richalds

• Rep: -101
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 10:05:51 AM »
My guess is he accidentally died during auto-erotic asphyxiation and Thrasher was like "yeah we'll just say he died playing guitar, most skaters will be dumb enough not to question that."

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »

better than "dat smoke", imo

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2019, 10:28:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  Nobody did that tho.  Did they?  Its not that we are entitled but its that some people ARE entitled to know and they do know  but theyre withholding the info even tho it was jakes life not theirs. There are corporate interests involved along with people who care but are dumb and think a cover up is the way to go. What your calling "that information" i'll just refer to as "the truth".

OP said “skaters to deserve to know.” So, yeah, somebody did that. 

And I think you’re overestimating the corporate impact his cause of death being released would have. Wall Street isn’t going to go into a tailspin because Jake OD’ed. Thrasher isn’t losing Nike ads over it.

ChuckZito

• Rep: -16
  • Penne de morte
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
My guess is he accidentally died during auto-erotic asphyxiation and Thrasher was like "yeah we'll just say he died playing guitar, most skaters will be dumb enough not to question that."

Thats the cause of most deaths anyways so thats not really sayin much

shred420

• Rep: -25
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

OP said “skaters to deserve to know.” So, yeah, somebody did that. 

And I think you’re overestimating the corporate impact his cause of death being released would have. Wall Street isn’t going to go into a tailspin because Jake OD’ed. Thrasher isn’t losing Nike ads over it.

Yeah I guess deserve to know can sound a little harsh, but I wasn't trying to say it in a way were I feel like we should make a big deal about it and demand anything. More so I just was thinking why there isn't any info about his passing, he's just such a figure in skateboarding and to have zero information about what happened just raises bigger questions really.

If it was a drug issue like some people speculate I could see why his Family/Thrasher doesn't want to put it out there to garnish his name. But if that is what happened I don't think a lot of people would really be surprised by it and look at him that much differently. And as others mentioned it could be a good way to get a message out there to kids in skating about drug use.   

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 11:02:45 AM »
with his family stating the cause of death it looks like a cover up?

phelps is respected enough for ppl, to be chill about it?

I know im chill about it.

rapscallion

• Rep: -4
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »
Either his heart failed or he ODed, big conspiracy. Or perhaps he had information that might lead to Hillary's arrest..

bestdudever

• Rep: -14
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »
if the guitar was electric it could have electrocuted him with electricity.

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
This is slap

The fuck wed be if someone wasn’t asking this here

Dustwardprez

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
last year when he was here I avoided him because I don’t drink anymore.

I regret that.

There you go fucko I cleaned it up for you you fucking mong
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:22:56 PM by Dustwardprez »

Artvandeskate

• Rep: -15
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
This is wack
RIP Jake
Shalom

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »
I get bent about this because I blew him off last time he was here.

I really wish I didn’t.

did you let him have a hellride? Was it 1-8 all the way, or did he give u a reach around?

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

waffle

• Rep: 128
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 01:48:53 PM »
For what it's worth, the NYT article about his passing mentions drugs towards the end of the article:

Mr. Phelps’s easy access to pain medication, and the drinking that went along with his lifestyle, led him to struggle with substance abuse. Mr. Reyes said the habit had grown out of the surgeries and his love for skateboarding: The pain pills allowed him to get back to skating.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/obituaries/jake-phelps-dead.html

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2019, 01:58:40 PM »
The coroner's report I read said he was strangled by his mustache.

Seriously, none of our business. Famous people aren't our friends or family.

Austen Seaholmes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Most of us aren’t conspiracy obsessed kooks needing to make sense of a man dying in his old age
[close]

56 is not old age.
but is definitely in the heart attack range...especially if you're not living the Kenny Anderson lifestyle. 

Austen Seaholmes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »
Curious why Thrasher hasn’t done a memorial issue similar to how Concussion did with Monk...
something like this maybe?

Wockawocka

• Rep: -4
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Curious why Thrasher hasn’t done a memorial issue similar to how Concussion did with Monk...
[close]
something like this maybe?

Sorry 😐 on my way to my local shop now
Skate, the final frontier...

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

56 is not old age.
[close]
but is definitely in the heart attack range...especially if you're not living the Kenny Anderson lifestyle.

For sure ^ but that number has been on a steady decline - a friend of mine in his 70's had a heart attack last year. We were all really surprised when he said that 70% of the people recovering with him were in their 30's and under.

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »
For what it's worth, the NYT article about his passing mentions drugs towards the end of the article:

Expand Quote
Mr. Phelps’s easy access to pain medication, and the drinking that went along with his lifestyle, led him to struggle with substance abuse. Mr. Reyes said the habit had grown out of the surgeries and his love for skateboarding: The pain pills allowed him to get back to skating.
[close]

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/obituaries/jake-phelps-dead.html

if i was a betting man, i'd bet on pain pills cut with fentanyl -- if it is indeed drug related. essentially a truly accidental OD. i had a homie die from 1 single percocet that had a fent hotspot last year. tragic as fuck.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/overdoses-linked-to-fentanyl-spike

“The scary thing is, there’s absolutely no quality control," he said. "This is not a pharmaceutical product. Some of these pills may have very high levels high enough to kill you very rapidly. Others may have very little.""
:) I must have been tripping last night