Author Topic: So, who owns Zoo York now?  (Read 11625 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
  • One Trick Pony
So, who owns Zoo York now?
« on: May 29, 2019, 01:57:16 AM »

Edit: OG ‘95 ad for reference

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:14:23 AM by Paco Supreme »

skataliban

• Rep: -2
Re: So, who owns Zoo York now?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 02:00:13 AM »
me

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 02:05:27 AM »
Who knows. I am not sure if it can be revived.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 02:08:55 AM »
Good luck shaking off the mall brand stank.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 02:32:32 AM »

damn its fucking insane how that image killed ZY - from watching RB in the adidas 9club - and seeing OG supreme dudes on that team list they reallllly killed a good thing.

What other awesome brands turned to shit? Elwood?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 02:42:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

damn its fucking insane how that image killed ZY - from watching RB in the adidas 9club - and seeing OG supreme dudes on that team list they reallllly killed a good thing.

What other awesome brands turned to shit? Elwood?

chocolate

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 04:56:11 AM »
It's owned by these guys - https://www.iconixbrand.com/brands/

They've been selling through department stores for the past couple years. But they want to capitalize on the potential mainstream exposure that the Olympics will bring. So they've rehired the "founders" (not sure who that means) to resurrect the brand.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 05:02:54 AM »
I would be thoroughly impressed if they were able to shake the clearance rack at Marshall’s vibe. Look at that ‘95 line up. Damn.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:04:34 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 05:07:48 AM »
So they hired some old brand managers?

I still Don’t trust anything that can be taken away and turned into a yoga brand at the whim of some out of touch suit

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 05:12:43 AM »
I know it's dead, but 15 year old watching Mixtape every day me is reeeeeeally hoping Zoo York could put a great team together and get their shit right. But does the concept of East Coast skateboarding really matter to the kids today? Is this gonna be another Alien Workshop revival where it looks right, they get some good people on the team, make a cool video, but it just ain't the same?

feedmeseymour

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 05:13:20 AM »
j c penny

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 05:34:08 AM »
I don’t trust it. I assume it’s trying to get a cash grab on that 2020 Olympic money. They’ve done to much kooky shit to take them serious

Fro Doggy Dog

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 05:47:07 AM »

They've been selling through department stores for the past couple years. But they want to capitalize on the potential mainstream exposure that the Olympics will bring. So they've rehired the "founders" (not sure who that means) to resurrect the brand.

https://www.licenseglobal.com/agency-appointments/iconix-hires-zoo-york-founders-brand-support

Iconix has brought on the founders of Zoo York to help support, promote and market the brand.

The licensing company hired the Zoo York team to help capitalize on the popularity of skateboarding ahead of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Speaking on a recent earnings call with investors, Bob Galvin, chief executive officer, Iconix, reported that the company sees a lot of potential for skateboarding brands during the Olympics.

“Skateboarding will be a non-medal Olympic sport during the summer games in Tokyo in 2020,” says Galvin. “We believe this presents an excellent opportunity for the brand.”

Iconix bought the Zoo York brand in 2017. The skate company was founded by Rodney Smith, Eli Morgan Gessner and Adam Schatz in 1993.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-icon-earnings-conference-182026866.html

We have also signed the original founders of Zoo York to support, promote and market the brand on a global basis. Skateboarding will be a non-medal Olympic sport during the summer games in Tokyo in 2020. We believe this presents an excellent opportunity for the brand. We have signed a total of 65 new or renewed license agreements in fiscal 2019 with total GMRs of approximately $40 million.

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 05:53:29 AM »

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 08:12:55 AM »
I am pretty sure skateboarding is a medal event in the 2020 Olympics.

But, anyway, can you imagine seeing this page and it being your first introduction to skating?

https://tokyo2020.org/en/games/sport/olympic/skateboarding/

Wild times.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 08:24:22 AM »

But, anyway, can you imagine seeing this page and it being your first introduction to skating?

Wild times.

Damn that was an awful read. I am sure they don't have some guy that has never watched or played tennis write the tennis article. They wanted skating, the least they could do is give it a little respect.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 08:26:29 AM »
Even if zoo York is back in the hands of the OGs, I’m not feeling it.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 10:40:36 AM »
Heard they’re changing the name to MenageriEAST COAST

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
bring back steeze ortiz or i don't care.

wait no. i don't care either way.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »
I don’t trust it. I assume it’s trying to get a cash grab on that 2020 Olympic money. They’ve done to much kooky shit to take them serious
Sadly, the move may be capitalizing more on the memory of Harold Hunter (HHF foundation event is this weekend).

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
The fact that they’re only doing this to capitalize on the Olympics hype makes me not want to support even more, no matter how dope it could be.

Soon after the Olympics hype is over, they’re gonna go right back to doing kook shit.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »

Maybe Eli Gesner and Rodney Smith. I've always wondered how much clout Eli Gesner has outside of skateboarding; he did a Reddit AMA awhile back.

But just like DC, it's going to take a long time to wash out the mall taste, and it'll never fully be washed out anyway.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 11:36:59 AM »
So an investment firm owns it, and they're hiring back the people who made it cool 50 years ago to make it cool again even though those guys were cut out before any money was made and that's the reason it hasn't been cool for 200 years, and they're probably able to get those guys for comparatively cheap because of how they were cut out in the first place? Groups like this and the one who owned Huf and Lakai are way more damaging to skating than people realize.

D10S

• Rep: -64
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 11:43:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe Eli Gesner and Rodney Smith. I've always wondered how much clout Eli Gesner has outside of skateboarding; he did a Reddit AMA awhile back.

But just like DC, it's going to take a long time to wash out the mall taste, and it'll never fully be washed out anyway.

hope Eli and Rodney are making good bank at least...

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 11:58:40 AM »
Soooo...

when can we expect the Jenkem interview where they back peddle the yoga pants post and justify dropping the team?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 12:39:14 PM »
Very few and far between are the companies worth jack shit that are owned or run by non-skaters. You look at nearly every decent company today and there's a pretty direct correlation between how involved the owners are with actual skateboarding and how good the company is.
Notable exception is George Powell, who put his engineering degree to work for the game.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »
SO THIS MEANS MORE CHAZ ORTIZ?¿?!!!! YESSS ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:o

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »
Expand Quote

Wild times.
[close]

Damn that was an awful read. I am sure they don't have some guy that has never watched or played tennis write the tennis article. They wanted skating, the least they could do is give it a little respect.

they're still made of wood!
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 01:57:49 PM »
Theres no way they can come back into actual skateboarding.
Also since no one rides for them anymore why would they get coverage during the olympics?

euro tm

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »
fuck this