Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 101521 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #450 on: October 15, 2021, 09:38:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Today was the first time trying a Twin Tail Deck. It took 5mins to get used and it’s so fucking good. I already fell in love with it. I treated myself new trucks with the deck and hope there will be twin tail decks in the future, though I don’t think I will pay the 10€ extra for the 8.3 slick next time and just get the 8.25 or try another company.
[close]

Kinda feel like I’m the only dude that really likes the slick TT, oh well they work for me

I love the functionality of [any] slick decks, the DLX slick being no different; there is just something 'off' to me about how the DLX TT feels over all, slick or not, it feels sluggish somehow. Might be the kick length + the wheelbase?

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #451 on: October 15, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Today was the first time trying a Twin Tail Deck. It took 5mins to get used and it’s so fucking good. I already fell in love with it. I treated myself new trucks with the deck and hope there will be twin tail decks in the future, though I don’t think I will pay the 10€ extra for the 8.3 slick next time and just get the 8.25 or try another company.
[close]

Kinda feel like I’m the only dude that really likes the slick TT, oh well they work for me
[close]

I love the functionality of [any] slick decks, the DLX slick being no different; there is just something 'off' to me about how the DLX TT feels over all, slick or not, it feels sluggish somehow. Might be the kick length + the wheelbase?

It definitely has shorter kick length, I could see how it would make feel more slow, I’m pretty low impact, and stay away from transitions, but I’ve definitely had to adjust how I do some flip tricks
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Dan Gerous

« Reply #452 on: October 15, 2021, 10:30:37 AM »
I'm also a fan of the DLX 8.3 TT slick, size/shape/steepness is perfect to me, the wheelbase is also good to me, even with Thunders, maybe I have wide hips or something or prefer the stability it adds? Maybe the shortish kicks paired with Thunders with forged plates help keep it snappy enough? Same board with the same wheels, I prefered the pop with Thunder Hollow Lights vs with Indy Forged Titanium, weight is similar but it feels quicker, snappier with the Thunders.

The advantage of slicks depend a lot where you skate I'd say, they don't change much in perfect smooth skatepark surfaces. It's when you get on rougher stuff that it helps, crusty ledges, stickier wood, less used spots... I remember having some in the early 90's and loved being able to slide almost anything but back then it added a lot more weight and they often peeled off and delaminated quickly but now they seem to hold up well, maybe even adding a bit of durability to boards? It still adds weight but not as much as back then... and now that I'm no longer an always broke kid, I can afford light trucks so I don't mind a few extra grams due to the slick.

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #453 on: October 18, 2021, 04:01:53 AM »
got the Crob 8.5 Twin Tail yesterday, haven't set it up yet since i'm on a fairly new deck right now but this thing feels fucking BEEFY. 21 years of skating i've never once looked at or skated a Crail deck and I guess i've always heard they were 'bad' but this thing feels and looks like a BBS on steroids 

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #454 on: October 18, 2021, 05:59:08 AM »
got the Crob 8.5 Twin Tail yesterday, haven't set it up yet since i'm on a fairly new deck right now but this thing feels fucking BEEFY. 21 years of skating i've never once looked at or skated a Crail deck and I guess i've always heard they were 'bad' but this thing feels and looks like a BBS on steroids 
I almost ordered one over the weekend since I found a shop that had them on discount but since it's coming to winter now I figured it would be like 6 months before I would set it up and by that time there will surely be something else that I want more.

But I'm not quite sure of your review if you think it's good or bad?
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #455 on: October 18, 2021, 06:17:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I almost ordered one over the weekend since I found a shop that had them on discount but since it's coming to winter now I figured it would be like 6 months before I would set it up and by that time there will surely be something else that I want more.

But I'm not quite sure of your review if you think it's good or bad?

neither good or bad i guess lol. 15 years ago I worked at a skate shop and I remember Crail boards being more trim/lighter (but maybe that was just concurrent with the times then since sizes were smaller back then). i dont know, just handling it, it feels like the beefiest and fullest board I've ever felt. its also way steeper than i expected it to be.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #456 on: October 18, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
Odd. The last couple of girl decks (since they changed woodshops in China/laser engraved) have all been pretty standard, if not on the stiff side; but never beefy. Maybe it has to do with the twin or they changed things up.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #457 on: October 18, 2021, 11:02:41 AM »
My Chocolate twin tail should arrive tomorrow so I'll confirm if it's beefy as well. Will be bummed if it's "thicker" than usual though.

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #458 on: October 19, 2021, 07:51:16 AM »
My Chocolate twin tail should arrive tomorrow so I'll confirm if it's beefy as well. Will be bummed if it's "thicker" than usual though.

What trucks and wheel size you putting?

IpathCats

« Reply #459 on: October 19, 2021, 07:52:43 AM »
That deluxe TT 8.3 slick is my fucking grail deck. I didn't know what it was like to ride a board i didn't have a single issue with until now

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #460 on: October 19, 2021, 08:43:57 AM »
I can see what you guys are saying about the slick decks feeling kinda soggy or heavy so let me just throw out a trick that I found helps. I sand the "slick" surface layer of of the nose and tail,  like a half to 3/4 inch in from the edge. Otherwise that slick layer will give you a wonky pop until you wear through it. You could also just drag your nose tail for a while on a rough surface for similar results.

I've also noticed that while the slick layer makes the boards last longer they still lose their pop around the same time any other board would. I have a tendency of breaking regular decks before they're spent though so that's a trade of I'm ok with. I've been skating mostly dlx slicks for a few years now and I've never broken a single one skating; I may have focus a couple on bad days but it wasn't easy. They hardly ever chip either and that's big to me, kinda a pet peeve of mine. I've just had a couple chip but only the top layer so it didn't really effect their skatibilty.

That durability is probably more why I'm stuck on them then their "slickness" for slides/grinds. When they start feeling soggy I usually swap them out to my slappy cruiser setup.

bryan

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #461 on: October 19, 2021, 08:09:58 PM »
Odd. The last couple of girl decks (since they changed woodshops in China/laser engraved) have all been pretty standard, if not on the stiff side; but never beefy. Maybe it has to do with the twin or they changed things up.

I agree, I have a g052 I got early last year, a kodak Jeron from 2019 and a Real 8.06 full SE. A little stiffer than old crail boards in a good way, but not as stiff as the BBS real board. I measured the thickness of the nose/tail on the real full se, g052 and crob tt and they all measure 3/8" all gripped. So the crob tt is definitely not thicker.

Only skated for a little while but to me it feels exactly like a g052, but twin tail.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #462 on: October 22, 2021, 06:56:01 AM »
In case anyone cares, here's my experience switching to the crob 8.5 twin tail, coming from ishod 8.25 roman numeral II (which is really too steep for my taste in combination with the long wheelbase. IV is perfect).

I kept the same trucks on, polster titanium 8.5 (same as thunder tit), and I absolutely could not handle how light it felt. I had to switch from ~50mm to 55mm wheels in order for the pop to feel normal to me again. Ollies feel amazing now, like I only need half the force, especially ollieing off a bump or something like that. The shape is great, even though I'd prefer slightly smaller tails but I got used to it after two weeks and can do all my tricks except hardflips and switch tres, those just won't work out because of these super long and wide tails. Manuals feel unstable to me, but that's just me being used to a longer wheelbase I guess.

All in all I think it's a great deck, if I buy it again I'll go for the 8.25 though. But if there was a possibility for me to only get the IV version of the ishod 8.25 I'd prefer that over everything else.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #463 on: October 23, 2021, 08:42:51 AM »

Crosspost from the set up thread. This is my first twin tail (actually it‘s a twin nose): Deathwish Neen 8.5. I love not having to bother which way to step on the board. A real game changer.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #464 on: October 23, 2021, 05:26:01 PM »
I am curious to hear how you find the longer kicks.

Skating the nose of a board is fun for a minute and I prefer to pop shovit off the nose for no reason I can think other than I like to land the right way, but skating the longer kick full time makes me feel a bit weird.

Not to say it will not be a bonus for some - having the kicks last longer is a benefit right there for people who don't break boards and wear down the tails.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #465 on: October 24, 2021, 12:54:30 AM »

Skating the nose of a board is fun for a minute and I prefer to pop shovit off the nose for no reason I can think other than I like to land the right way, but skating the longer kick full time makes me feel a bit weird.

Not to say it will not be a bonus for some - having the kicks last longer is a benefit right there for people who don't break boards and wear down the tails.

I skated my last board mostly on the nose because the concave was flatter at the tail which works better for my flick. I bought the Neen not because it is a twin nose  but because it is flat. But I do like some real estate for noseslides too.

l went through my (limited) bag of tricks and there was nothing that felt too awkward but it was only a short session.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #466 on: October 25, 2021, 01:19:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I skated my last board mostly on the nose because the concave was flatter at the tail which works better for my flick. I bought the Neen not because it is a twin nose  but because it is flat. But I do like some real estate for noseslides too.

l went through my (limited) bag of tricks and there was nothing that felt too awkward but it was only a short session.

Should be a winner then!

It is nice when things just work.

roarke.randall

• Rep: 0
« Reply #467 on: October 25, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »
Any recommendations for a 8.35-8.38" symmetric board that has larger fuller kicks that aren't too steep? Sounds like the Neen board is the closest to what I want, although I'm not sure how steep the kicks are.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #468 on: October 26, 2021, 06:34:51 PM »
Any recommendations for a 8.35-8.38" symmetric board that has larger fuller kicks that aren't too steep? Sounds like the Neen board is the closest to what I want, although I'm not sure how steep the kicks are.

Have you seen a Real Ishod 8.5 in person?

The one I have seems like those kicks are pretty full, but not squared off.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #469 on: October 26, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you seen a Real Ishod 8.5 in person?

The one I have seems like those kicks are pretty full, but not squared off.

Yea I’ve had the 8.38 slick TT and it has a full nose/tail not that squared off shit, can’t really fuck with those kinda boards, my homeboy rides exclusively FA the square shape or whatever. Can’t do it, kickflips feel so weird on it, almost too quick or something, same with the other end of the spectrum the old baker boards with the pointy nose or whatever…didn’t fuck with those either
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Dan Gerous

« Reply #470 on: October 27, 2021, 05:28:20 AM »
The 8.5 Ishod TT has a very different shape compared to the 8.3/8.25/8. As Mbrimson88 said, the kicks are not square, but they're a lot fuller, the board keeps it's full width way further into the tails and then it's almost a geometrically perfect half circle.

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #471 on: October 31, 2021, 07:40:53 PM »

Can you tell me what the wheelbase is on that? Can’t find specs anywhere online. Thank you in advance!

Dan Gerous

« Reply #472 on: October 31, 2021, 07:46:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can you tell me what the wheelbase is on that? Can’t find specs anywhere online. Thank you in advance!
Both sizes are advertised as having 14" wheelbases.

WideFeet

« Reply #473 on: October 31, 2021, 07:51:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Bummer. Thanks man! Much appreciated!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #474 on: October 31, 2021, 07:56:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Same. I like the current crail wood feel and twin tails, but not a 14" WB (I tried with every long WB truck combo) it's just too cramped for my stance. I'd have given it a shot at 14.25" tho.

WideFeet

« Reply #475 on: October 31, 2021, 08:04:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Same. I like the current crail wood feel and twin tails, but not a 14" WB (I tried with every long WB truck combo) it's just too cramped for my stance. I'd have given it a shot at 14.25" tho.

Same. I would give a 14.25 WB a try

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #476 on: November 02, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »
Had the first long session on my new mini logo trucks today and they really are what I've been looking for in the last year or so.

Mini Logo 8.38 + Ishod 8.25 twin tail with roman numeral II

I could not handle the long WB+steepness with thunders or ace, but the ML make it great.

The "IV" with thunder tit 148 is still my favorite setup, but now I finally don't have to care anymore which number I'm getting.
Big recommendation.

I bought 3 pairs of trucks just for this damn deck and the search is now over.
Ace AF1 44 were way too heavy for me to even feel the shortened wheelbase.
Polster 8.5 titaniums are super light, but extend the wheelbase too much. Those go perfectly on the Crob Twin though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:51 PM »
Had the first long session on my new mini logo trucks today and they really are what I've been looking for in the last year or so.

I could not handle the long WB+steepness with thunders or ace, but the ML make it great.

The "IV" with thunder tit 148 is still my favorite setup, but now I finally don't have to care anymore which number I'm getting.
Big recommendation.

Polster 8.5 titaniums are super light, but extend the wheelbase too much. Those go perfectly on the Crob Twin though.

I rode the 8.38 ML on my first Ishod TT (the peaches one), and I agree excellent combo.

Did you use risers?

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #478 on: November 02, 2021, 07:58:27 PM »
Expand Quote

Big recommendation.

[close]

I rode the 8.38 ML on my first Ishod TT (the peaches one), and I agree excellent combo.

Did you use risers?

ML's have saved many a deck that would be un-skatable for me due to long wheelbase or steep kicks. I just wish they would release a better looking truck (with cleaner casting) using the same geometry and low weight. Nice to see people being more open minded about trying different truck brands. Looking at you Royal.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #479 on: November 02, 2021, 11:23:40 PM »
New twin tip out this time for Foy

https://www.tactics.com/deathwish/foy-exorcism-failed-85-skateboard-deck

It's not marked as a twin specific, but I've seen a YouTube setup vid that confirms it