Author Topic: Skaters most skilled at tumbling out of slams  (Read 5182 times)

noj19

Re: Skaters most skilled at tumbling out of slams
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
Foy makes concrete look like foam

h00man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »

I was gonna say Nakel...then I realized...photoshop potential?
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

ChuckZito

• Rep: -16
  • Penne de morte
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2019, 11:39:04 AM »
Reynolds:

Also Ellington can tuck into any slam and roll back to his feet.

Mad Max

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2019, 12:09:51 PM »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »
Dan Peterka was the best at this.   That guy had skating down pat. Thats as gnar as you need to get.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 12:51:14 PM »
I bet in the future as skating gets more and more institutionalized there are going to be classes or coaches for this.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
I feel like everyones naming people who are awful at tumbling out of slams...Heath? really? He seems to just accept it and smash the ground.

I remember seeing a raw clip of Prod switch 3 flipping the santa monica triple and he kicks out maybe one or two lands on the next one and slips out and then just rolls away perfect.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »
Is being good at bailing a learned technique? Got any falling tips to share? I would say I am average to bad at it. I would like to get hurt less.

I see dudes do that shit where they just kinda sit down backwards on their ass with their arms out and it makes no sense to me.

Tarifs are Real

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
Thread reminds me of Mike York at Pier 7 in Yeah Right.

ChuckZito

• Rep: -16
  • Penne de morte
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
Is being good at bailing a learned technique? Got any falling tips to share? I would say I am average to bad at it. I would like to get hurt less.

I see dudes do that shit where they just kinda sit down backwards on their ass with their arms out and it makes no sense to me.

Roll into it like how firefighters practice jumping out of buildings, somersalt variations. Transfer that energy homie.

Just gotta brace for whiplash, thats why they teach when jumping out of a moving car protect your neck with your hands. Seen way too many people crack their dome open on the cement when their heads fling back. If the momentum is large enough you cant even stop that tbh.

miff

• Rep: -7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2019, 04:31:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Nakel bounces off the ground, flips, and lands on his feet. It looks gross but that's a great strategy.
[close]

Does not look gross.

Dollin's pretty great at tumbling. I don't know about the "out of" part.

Yeah, Na-Kel stands out in this field. Rolls off his back, out of slams, that would leave most of us broke the F off.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2019, 10:01:17 PM »
Vanessa Torres, i think she did gymnastics

doublesteveburger

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2019, 10:09:12 PM »
RAG DOLL MOTHERFUCKERS

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »

There's actually some vids on youtube about how to roll out of bails. When you're going fast you have have a build up of energy that has to go somewhere. If you can roll out you'll disperse most of the energy instead of taking the hit. Stiffening up and or landing with your arms or legs fully extended is most likely to do damage to your bones, joints, ligaments etc.
my gut reaction was always to stick out a hand, and my wrists are fucked as a result. Now I've gotten used to relaxing, tucking in my chin and elbows and trying to roll off my shoulders, and usually escape with little more than a dirty t-shirt
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

Black Frycook

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 10:11:17 PM »
If you eat fruits will it help you tumble out of slams?

Reynolds eats fruits

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2019, 12:17:40 AM »
I feel like everyones naming people who are awful at tumbling out of slams...Heath? really? He seems to just accept it and smash the ground.

I remember seeing a raw clip of Prod switch 3 flipping the santa monica triple and he kicks out maybe one or two lands on the next one and slips out and then just rolls away perfect.
I was being sarcastic but I guess it doesn't translate. Both Heath and Jerry Hsu tended to take horrific slams. I guess I could have added Arto to make it clearer. Heath's slam in the This is Skateboarding on that hubba is brutal and Hsu's opening montage in Stay Gold is brutal.

Little Debbie

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
Silas is super good, he's like a cat with super fast reflexes.

Also Eldy back in the day, i remember there was a clip of him trying nollie heel nosegrind down Belmont 9 and making it look easy

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »
Vincent Alvarez has an impressive roll-out

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2019, 02:31:49 AM »

GAY mentioned jiujitsu lessons. I took Judo for a few years, and I can’t emphasize enough  how much that has helped me survive falling on concrete.

As for best skater bailer, Shorty’s Steve Olson. The way he jumped off a fucking roof and landed in a little bounce and rolled.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2019, 03:17:24 AM »
Gravette does it with style

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2019, 04:33:05 AM »

Keep your chin tucked and teeth together. You want to try to protect your head from contact with the ground most of all. Try to land on meaty parts of your body like your lats and butt rather than bony parts. It helps if you can round yourself because you are more likely to roll out of stuff rather than stopping flat and taking all the impact.

It sounds stupid, but it helps to practice falling in the ways you are likely to fall from different tricks. I’m not saying do 50 reps of a fall, but figuring out how you are going to slip out of a tailslide if you lean backwards too much and doing a safe version of that a few times can make it less likely that you get injured when you do eat shit trying that same tailslide later.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:42:52 AM by Sundaynuggets »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2019, 04:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

GAY mentioned jiujitsu lessons. I took Judo for a few years, and I can’t emphasize enough  how much that has helped me survive falling on concrete.

As for best skater bailer, Shorty’s Steve Olson. The way he jumped off a fucking roof and landed in a little bounce and rolled.

For sure, Judo and Jiujitsu can help a ton with this. Especially the randori part of judo. I think the unexpected falls are the hardest to deal with and help prepare you for skating really well. Even just being comfortable with being on the ground helps a ton

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »
Cardiel!

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
The one Ellington does in baker 3 with the wife beater on! Think it’s at Beverly 9.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -138
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »

Nak in the first 10 seconds of this part, bounces off his back right on to his feet.
big texas cummer

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2019, 01:05:52 PM »
Jerry Hsu and Heath.......

Omg Heath for sure. He has taken some unreal slams.

Brguy

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »

Nak in the first 10 seconds of this part, bounces off his back right on to his feet.
He did it in slo mo in the supreme video. Gotta admit, it looked pretty cool.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2019, 07:13:40 PM »
I’ve been thinking the same since this topic was started. Heath is not graceful at all. He commits and land or slam he takes it.

Edit: I meant he’s not graceful when slamming.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1449
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
After his Bunt episode. I went back to Sluggo’s RDS part and he’s a master of this.

goo goo goo joob

• Rep: 40
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2019, 01:39:18 PM »