Author Topic: Jacksonville is Underrated.?  (Read 2839 times)

sluggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -405
Jacksonville is Underrated.?
« on: August 25, 2019, 07:16:12 PM »
Pros:

Kona, relatively nice Team Payne Transition/plaza park in JAcksonville Beach near the San Pablo Park diy spots, a few other diy spots on the outskirts, new plaza parks in development, a few backyard ramps and bowls, a few core shops, talent, downtown is not a bust, no traffic 9 AM nor 5 PM, food is not too shabby either, you can live 8 blocks from the beach and four blocks from the grocery and packie for a thousand dollars, Trips to Orlando, ATL, Savannah, New Orleans, Tampa event opportunities.

Cons:

It is Florida.

Thoughts?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
Re: Jacksonville is Underrated.?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 05:23:23 AM »
No one says "packie" in the south, not sure if that is a pro or con for you.
Summertime in the south, especially Florida, is absolutely brutal.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »
arent foy and zion from jacksonville? they must be doing something good

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 12:19:24 PM »
Foy is from Deerfield Beach which is southern Floriduh Zion is from suburbs of Tampa, Anyone who is from here will tell you there is a distinct difference between northern floriduh and southern. Humidity is brutal most times out of the year.

TO answer your question Jville is spread out and is sketchy if you aren't aware. I have walked one side to the other maybe a mile or two on bus but it took me several days and wasn't fun at all, especially with a dog.
Dueces Bitch's

euro tm

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »
Foy is from Deerfield Beach which is southern Floriduh Zion is from suburbs of Tampa, Anyone who is from here will tell you there is a distinct difference between northern floriduh and southern. Humidity is brutal most times out of the year.

TO answer your question Jville is spread out and is sketchy if you aren't aware. I have walked one side to the other maybe a mile or two on bus but it took me several days and wasn't fun at all, especially with a dog.

zion is from jupiter, same place as joey ragali and cromer and is a bit north of west palm beach on the opposite side of the state from tampa.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

zion is from jupiter, same place as joey ragali and cromer and is a bit north of west palm beach on the opposite side of the state from tampa.
I assumed Tampa but a shitload of talent comes from the Palm beach area, just was in WPB  the other night skating they've got some killer spots but security is tight there.
Dueces Bitch's

euro tm

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I assumed Tampa but a shitload of talent comes from the Palm beach area, just was in WPB  the other night skating they've got some killer spots but security is tight there.

yeah west palm in 2010 was something else

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 136
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 03:46:12 PM »
Buck Smith, Kevin Lambert and Donny Griffin!

What's a packie?

sluggers

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 05:14:58 PM »
I appreciate all the responses.

Keep them coming.

A packie is a liquor store in New England.

The old retired Yankees in Fl call them packies as well.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 05:48:12 PM »
I appreciate all the responses.

Keep them coming.

A packie is a liquor store in New England.

The old retired Yankees in Fl call them packies as well.
Fuck I don't miss Connecticut one bit, they've also got dry counties or whatever. My brother and I had a good scam when we were younger. It wasn't something I was proud of but we definitely had a mean hustle going for awhile with the rich kids for booze especially in the Old Lyme area.
Dueces Bitch's

sluggers

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
Buck Smith, Kevin Lambert and Donny Griffin!

What's a packie?

Buck Smith was legit and heroic back in the day, he probably still is.

sluggers

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 12:13:21 PM »
Any locals lurking around?

Hit me up.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
my homie actually opened up a shop, Permission Skateshop, in Jax last year. it looks like its either the first or second core shop in town. super hyped amd proud of him for goin after it and bringing a core shop to a town that needed it
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

sluggers

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 08:19:02 PM »
Permission is legit.

Anyone going to the Street League contest downtown in a couple weeks.?

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 08:59:12 PM »
It's a cool city for sure, and locals can chime in but here are my perceived downsides to the Jacksonville area:

Jacksonville is America's largest city by landmass, so it's pretty much neverending suburban sprawl.

None of the development makes any sense and is car/suburb oriented, so everything is at least a 20 minute drive away. See my earlier point about no unified development, so the infrastructure is a bunch of stroads and spaghetti-like highway interchanges. The schools, public infrastructure, etc aren't great but that tracks for a lot of FL.

The culture of Northern FL aligns much more closely to the deep south vs southern and even central Florida, as other posters have commented on. The huge military base there adds to a kind of cultural conservatism that is less prevalent the further south you go in the state.

Unless you live by the beach or the downtown area, you'll be in the woods by a shopping center with a publix and a strip mall, suburban housing developments, and not much else. And your neighbors more likely than not will be lifted truck driving Q anon evangelicals.

The Jax beach park is great though!

Salad farmer

• Rep: 21
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 07:54:37 AM »
Falling on the bank ramp at Emerson in the summer is a real experience.

smokemasterjp

• Rep: -25
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2022, 03:45:44 PM »
The whole place has like 5 spots and you're surrounded by yee haws and aggressive cops.

Shit is mid.

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 11:46:15 AM »
Jacksonville has more in common with southern Georgia than the rest of Florida. The weather is usually awful and you'll have to take a car to get between spots because its one of the largest urban sprawls in the world and there are rivers and swamps everywhere. It does have Kona, though.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2023, 03:57:23 AM »
South Beach Park in JVILLE so nice

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 04:19:01 PM »
I’m here now for the evening. Is there anything to skate around the airport? Especially a curb spot. I’m staying at a company provided hotel so unfortunately I can’t even skate the parking lot.

I skated South Beach park. So beautiful, I can skate that tootsie roll metal curb thing all day. However there’s no lights. Kona seems to be the only park here with lights and I’m not in the mood to get super gnarly.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2023, 06:51:15 PM »
I’m here now for the evening. Is there anything to skate around the airport? Especially a curb spot. I’m staying at a company provided hotel so unfortunately I can’t even skate the parking lot.

I skated South Beach park. So beautiful, I can skate that tootsie roll metal curb thing all day. However there’s no lights. Kona seems to be the only park here with lights and I’m not in the mood to get super gnarly.

Not exactly how far from the airport it is, but riverside arts market is just concrete under a bridge that has curbs....some should be juiced up. There are lights from what i remember too. (Havent lived in jax in about 5 yrs). Its alot of ground under there...they normally do art markets there on the wknds so may take some pushing around to find the curb that is best juiced up. Address is 715 Riverside Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32204 . Nor sure how long you are there for but hopefully this helps some. Also The Block Skate Supply Shop has a cool little concrete park outside the back of it and is a rad shop