Author Topic: DIY Thread (Not skating related)  (Read 840 times)

beatifk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
DIY Thread (Not skating related)
« on: October 22, 2019, 12:56:12 AM »
Maybe there's been a thread before... but I didn't find it.

Does anyone do DIY stuff, like renovating their house or whatnot? From my experience, lot's of skateboarders work in blue-collar type stuff (I work in a factory myself) so how many people are doing their own home improvements?

I'm asking because I am looking to buy an apartment. I like the apartment, I like the location, it's got a huge terrace which I already envision with a miniramp on it but the big problem is that the bathroom needs to be re-done. All the plumbing is fine, it just needs like all the pieces: toilet, sink, shower, tile, etc. A general rehab. Is that something I should not try to do myself? I built like DIY loft apartments in the past, but they were in the same type of family as punk-squats or like a skatehouse, so they weren't really slick and now that I'm an adult I've gotten more used to living in civilized comfort. I just don't want to spend 10grand to fix this bathroom up.

I like doing manual labor, but I don't have a good crew I could ask for help so I'd be doing most of the work myself or with one of my friends who is an architect who offered to help. But, he's too anal about everything so I'm a little worried about working with him because it could postpone the work until everything is "perfect" and I just don't have the time or money for things to look like they came out of Architectural Digest. So I may end up doing a lot of it myself. Am I stupid thinking I can do it? I'll probably pay someone to do the big stuff like install sink and toilet and shower but I would like to try to do the tiles, painting, and maybe the lighting myself.

Any amateur DIYers out there who've tackled a project like this and had it turn out great? Was it a huge mistake?

Or any other home improvement DIY projects you're working on?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
Re: DIY Thread (Not skating related)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 04:42:18 AM »
I think if you have some experience - even if it's building crust punk houses - it gives you enough confidence to take something more refined on. There's so much on YouTube as well. Just figure out what to tackle first and start watching. I'm sure there are plenty of bathroom remodelling videos you can watch, and just pick from there what you need.

It will at least give you an idea of what you feel confident about, and what you'd rather have a professional do. No shame in hiring someone and paying a few bucks. Last thing you want is to be in there multiple times a day, and get haunted by something you cobbled together to save a few bucks but is now an eyesore.

I rent, so I use that as an excuse not to do any improvements to my place however I'm always thinking about what I would do if I owned it. I mostly just do wood working. So far, I've made a bench, coffee table and a desk.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 03:32:34 PM »
Dave Engerer might have some good tips for you

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 01:14:08 PM »
If you're handy a lot of this stuff is easy to pick up. Some of it is less so. I can drywall fairly well now (if a bit slow).

I renovated my bathroom but it took a long ass time and I think that's one of the reasons my wife hates me so much now. It's super hard to work in a space you need to use daily so if it's your only bathroom be aware. If I could have simply torn apart the room and rebuilt from scratch it would have been so much easier.

A lot of that stuff you describe doing is not too hard although there are certain key bits where it's really helpful to have someone who knows what the fuck they are doing and can at the very least tell you what to do.

Also, bathroom fixtures and material are expensive so even if you do everything on the cheap, it ends up being a few thousand dollars anyway. You might need additional tools, ladders, or rental tools. Speaking of fixtures, don't cheap out on faucets and toilets (i.e. don't buy Glacier Bay (Home Depot house brand )anything - get Delta, Moen, Kohler, etc.).

Our bath tile was falling down so my original plan was just to re-do the tile and keep the old tub but as soon as we opened the wall it was apparent that it was so rotten that we needed to move the tub and sister the old wall beams. Had to undo tub drain, bottom of the tub breaks and now I've got to buy a new one.

I had a friend helping for this part who could solder copper pipe. I'd say if you need to move any piping you're already in plumber territory.  We rebuilt the walls and got the tub back in although it would have been sensible to rebuild the floor before putting the tub in.

I read up on tiling but chickened out and hired a guy just to do the wall tile. He did a lousy job but it looked OK after I grouted it. Made me think I could have done that job just fine although if it might have taken 2 days and if I was renting a saw that would have cost nearly what I paid the guy. We bought cheap tile on clearance but it didn't have bullnosed edged so I needed to look all over creation to find trim pieces that worked.

Did a vinyl plank floor which looks OK but tile would have been better.

Installed the vanity which was surprisingly tricky because my supply and drain lines were poorly located and the walls and floor weren't level and plumb.

Replacing a toilet is no sweat provided the existing flange isn't damaged and you don't need move it. Turn off water, unscrew hose and two flange bolts, lift toilet. Put a fresh wax ring on the new toilet then reverse order of operations. Done.
Just be careful with those wimpy plastic shut off valves on most supply lines. They can be fragile or not fully shut off. You might be better off shutting off water in the basement if you can.

Electric isn't terrible either but you do need to be careful and make sure you aren't overloading circuits, are careful with older circuits, are making good connections, are using correct wire gauges for your breaker amperage, and be really goddamn careful if you need to mess with your breaker box.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »
Dave Engerer might have some good tips for you

What's dave do
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »
What about cars or scooters? Have any of you tried to refurbish one? And did it end up being a money pit/fool's errand?