Author Topic: Dead Spots  (Read 7610 times)

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Dead Spots
« on: November 19, 2019, 12:55:37 AM »
Post any pics, vids, or stories of spots iconic or not that where destroyed, reappropriated, or maybe just not skated anymore for one reason or another.

One story that sticks out in my mind is traveling really late at night through bumfuck stretches of N.C. to get to this handrail a lot of us had been jonesing to skate. I’m pretty sure it was in Winston-Salem, and will be immediately recognizable to anyone who watched early 00’s videos. Anyways, after driving give or take 3 hours we finally get there from the city we were from last. Super fucking late 2:30/3a.m., but we made it and the city was dead. Parked on the street right under the overpass up there the rail is located. Then, as giddy as a gaggle of goggling school girls we ran up that overpass with boards, lights and cameras in hand only to find that it’s gone. The handrail just wasn’t fucking there. We were all pretty pissed and disorientated for a moment, but then quickly realized we in a new city that was completely dead and then preceded to skate its entirety without hassle until the sun came up. Still a good time.

This is was the rail:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:03:09 AM by SSBS1080CBBSNP »

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
    • My Photos avatar image
Re: Dead Spots
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 02:32:50 AM »
Good idea for a thread.

I would of loved to of gotten the chance to skate a perfect square looking rail like that.

Never went there but the first spot that comes to mind is the med choice gap. Was such a staple of the early 2000's vids- Menikmati, Baker 2g etc and then just disappeared. Anyone know what happened? Demolished?

Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 02:47:00 AM »

Used to be pretty popular to do tricks over these rails. Don't know what happened

EDIT:

This ledge used to be so popular... What happened here?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:03:21 AM by shingles »
support your local ramp-tramp

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 04:07:13 AM »
Iconic Local Denver spot it was a blue bank to bank, anyone who has skated the Denver area knows what I’m talking about. It was next to a Spanish auto shop.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 04:18:51 AM »
Carlsbad

bogolden

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 04:42:30 AM »
Post any pics, vids, or stories of spots iconic or not that where destroyed, reappropriated, or maybe just not skated anymore for one reason or another.

One story that sticks out in my mind is traveling really late at night through bumfuck stretches of N.C. to get to this handrail a lot of us had been jonesing to skate. I’m pretty sure it was in Winston-Salome, and will be immediately recognizable to anyone who watched early 00’s videos. Anyways, after driving give or take 3 hours we finally get there from the city we were from last. Super fucking late 2:30/3a.m., but we made it and the city was dead. Parked on the street right under the overpass up there the rail is located. Then, as giddy as a gaggle of goggling school girls we ran up that overpass with boards, lights and cameras in hand only to find that it’s gone. The handrail just wasn’t fucking there. We were all pretty pissed and disorientated for a moment, but then quickly realized we in a new city that was completely dead and then preceded to skate its entirety without hassle until the sun came up. Still a good time.

This is was the rail:

i thought that rail was at one of the colleges there?

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 04:47:59 AM »
I was living in Philly in 2012/2013. One day a girl from my hometown was coming to Philly for a show and wanted to meet up, so I told her I would meet her at Love. It's a Saturday and I show up a hour and a half before her so I could skate some and just hang out. Over by the Love sign there was a table set up and a whole bunch of people gathering around. After like 45 minutes it gets to crowded so I sit down on the ledge and start rolling up while I await this girls arrival. A local bum sits down next to me and introduces himself as "Peanut", around this same time I realized the sign they just put at the table says "Philadelphia Transgender March". Peanut is chatting me up telling he how he stays in the park and how he can get me any drug I would need ever, followed by "Damn there's a LOT of FINE ASS women out here today!"... I look at him and ask if he read the sign at the table. He glances over. "What the jawn say?" I tell him and he shoots up to his feet. "I gotta get the fuck outta here before I do something I regret..." We said our goodbyes and I sent him off with the roach of the joint I was smoking. I always wondered what happened to him.

xandeo

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 04:59:48 AM »
The three-stair curb at Sants. Went to Barcelona in 2009, really looked forward to skate it only to find it had been demolished only a few weeks/months before... still bummed on that one.

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 05:09:53 AM »
The three-stair curb at Sants. Went to Barcelona in 2009, really looked forward to skate it only to find it had been demolished only a few weeks/months before... still bummed on that one.

You mean this one?
support your local ramp-tramp

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 05:16:14 AM »
I heard china banks is being demolished next year, can anyone confirm?

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 05:18:22 AM »
Is there any spots at cemetery’s ?

Would that be considered a dead spot ?

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 05:20:31 AM »
The Barcelona Stage Drop (I think that's what it was called). I'm pretty sure it was demolished, but I always thought it looked fun.

Edit: This thing:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:22:22 AM by MyUserName »

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 05:39:18 AM »
The Barcelona Stage Drop (I think that's what it was called). I'm pretty sure it was demolished, but I always thought it looked fun.

this is probably wrong .. but as kids we thought this spot was the origin of the term euro gap
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

thebacker

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 05:43:36 AM »

EDIT:

people still skate it

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 06:08:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this is probably wrong .. but as kids we thought this spot was the origin of the term euro gap
in europe, at least in my area, everybody called "euro gaps" always a "london gap"

on topic: this miniramp shaped thing in barcelona comes to my mind.

2:40 in here

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:12:55 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 06:35:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
in europe, at least in my area, everybody called "euro gaps" always a "london gap"

look up rodney clarke, not sure what the exact spot is but have it on good authority he was the "first?"

SSBS1080CBBSNP

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 06:37:00 AM »
Expand Quote

One story that sticks out in my mind is traveling really late at night through bumfuck stretches of N.C. to get to this handrail a lot of us had been jonesing to skate. I’m pretty sure it was in Winston-Salem, and will be immediately recognizable to anyone who watched early 00’s videos. Anyways, after driving give or take 3 hours we finally get there from the city we were from last. Super fucking late 2:30/3a.m., but we made it and the city was dead. Parked on the street right under the overpass up there the rail is located. Then, as giddy as a gaggle of goggling school girls we ran up that overpass with boards, lights and cameras in hand only to find that it’s gone. The handrail just wasn’t fucking there. We were all pretty pissed and disorientated for a moment, but then quickly realized we in a new city that was completely dead and then preceded to skate its entirety without hassle until the sun came up. Still a good time.

This is was the rail:
[close]

i thought that rail was at one of the colleges there?

It could’ve been a college. Definitely on a bridge overpass though. The only footage I can find of it specifically online is this clip:

I remember there being like restaurants and shit on the side where the rail should have been, but on the other side there was big buildings that may have been apart of a college. There was also a double or triple set with similar rails still there on that side. I fucked around on the first rail a bit immediately jumping off after landing, but always wonder anyone messed with that side on a serious level.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 07:18:58 AM »

In Copenhagen there is Assistens Kirkegården (The Assistants Cemetery). There is this sculpture with a surrounding platform/granite surface, that has been skated quite a lot. I loved the spot when I first saw it in videos, but I got quite offended when I heard it was at a cemetery, even though I'm not religious, I do believe that you should respect where bodies rest. Not for the dead, but the ones left behind.

Living in Copenhagen for a couple of month some years back, I experienced that this place is just as much a public park, as it's a cemetery. People have picnics there, drink, some sunbathe topless and people bring dates. It's quite quirky, but I've got to say that the place has got a vibe to it, and you don't really think of it as a cemetery. Relatives do complain though, which is understandable.

The ground holds some famous, historical, Danish personas. Niels Bohr (physicist), Søren Kierkegaard (philosopher) and H.C. Andernsen (writer) are the ones who might be known beyond the Danish border. Besides that, there's is lot's of people who have streets and buildings named after them around the country, and lots of private people.

It's difficult for me really to put in to words what I think of the use of The Assistants Cemetery, but I can't say that I don't think the spot is cool.

It has mostly been skated as the flat gap you can see left of the sculpture.

More photos:
https://www.sla.dk/dk/projects/etfelt/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:24:34 AM by Molte »
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

SSBS1080CBBSNP

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 07:21:45 AM »

The deadest of spots. Heard longboarders catch a bad wrap cruising the mourning dead’s pathed walk ways sometimes. Kevin Baekkel should do a cemetery tour. If churches got spots ya know there’s gotta be cemeteries with them out there too.

^thats’s a crazy looking graveyard plaza that’d be very hard to not want to skate. it’s probably always a bad idea to skate somebody’s grave and of course don’t be trickin in front of people mourning. Other than that skate with the dead. Go at night. Get spooky.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:48:16 AM by SSBS1080CBBSNP »

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 07:32:28 AM »
Truely Dead spots

Spectrum rails
MSG
Civic Center Rail
Bill Graham auditorium Hubba

I did take a kicker and a flat bar on tour and every venue that was paved, kids would come look where I set up to skate together.

AldusMinutiae

• Rep: 125
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 07:35:38 AM »
Bridge Rail!

Also RIP this spot the next town over:

6:33

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
my favorite curb growing up got a papa johns built on top of it.
No.

AldusMinutiae

• Rep: 125
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 07:44:09 AM »
Other NC mugs might also remember this dream of a spot:

1:14

SSBS1080CBBSNP

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 08:00:31 AM »
^damn! Always thought that was a concrete park from the yeah right clip. Spot looks so sick.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 08:08:03 AM »
Expand Quote

EDIT:

[close]

people still skate it

I saw a clip on this within the last week, so it’s deff still there

Cranberry Relish

• Rep: 29
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2019, 08:29:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

EDIT:

[close]

people still skate it
[close]

I saw a clip on this within the last week, so it’s deff still there

https://youtu.be/2QnfteDe3XE?t=601

thebacker

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2019, 08:32:05 AM »

Stephens Lawyer

• Rep: 139
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
the seventh fret on the g string of my p-bass  >:(

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 09:41:17 AM »
That rail was in downtown Winston Salem. Indeed on an overpass pedestrian bridge. It was great.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
In Copenhagen there is Assistens Kirkegården (The Assistants Cemetery). There is this sculpture with a surrounding platform/granite surface, that has been skated quite a lot. I loved the spot when I first saw it in videos, but I got quite offended when I heard it was at a cemetery, even though I'm not religious, I do believe that you should respect where bodies rest. Not for the dead, but the ones left behind.

Living in Copenhagen for a couple of month some years back, I experienced that this place is just as much a public park, as it's a cemetery. People have picnics there, drink, some sunbathe topless and people bring dates. It's quite quirky, but I've got to say that the place has got a vibe to it, and you don't really think of it as a cemetery. Relatives do complain though, which is understandable.

The ground holds some famous, historical, Danish personas. Niels Bohr (physicist), Søren Kierkegaard (philosopher) and H.C. Andernsen (writer) are the ones who might be known beyond the Danish border. Besides that, there's is lot's of people who have streets and buildings named after them around the country, and lots of private people.

It's difficult for me really to put in to words what I think of the use of The Assistants Cemetery, but I can't say that I don't think the spot is cool.

It has mostly been skated as the flat gap you can see left of the sculpture.

More photos:
https://www.sla.dk/dk/projects/etfelt/

I think cemeteries might be one of the only things I would not skate on principle.  We have a huge one here literally called, The National Cemetery." So big and marble everything for days.  I run through it sometimes and think about how good it would be to skate, but I would not want to leave mark on someone's memorial site.

Where I grew up our main spot was a monument to some war (A minor one) in a park.  Every now and then we'd get a pissed off veteran yelling at us about being disrespectful.  Didn't really feel bad about that one.