Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786649 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26100 on: November 05, 2020, 12:17:11 AM »

My oversized gear collection is comprised of different decks, wheels and trucks, this is a whole different level of OCD =D

I guess I could take another pic of current setups, of which I think only two are the same graphic in maybe ten completes, but I do have quite a few more of the same decks waiting to go, which will only be set up on the existing hardware once I need to and not do what I did before, which was hoard from about 2006 to 2018.  That was definitely way over the top, even for me.

I have amassed a solid lot of second hand parts which I keep at the indoor park for anyone who is in need, but it is funny because I often still prefer well used everything, compared to brand new proddy, and have no issue riding used trade ins from others as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #26101 on: November 05, 2020, 04:17:06 AM »
loopholes are grippy? My conical 56mm make me feel like I’m fucking leo valls reveritng and powersliding all over the shop

For me they start out slick until you wear off the gloss and get them dinged up a little, then they get significantly grippier. When they break in they feel less slick than F4 but not as grippy as the STF 99a easy streets in my opinion.

CaptainCheeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #26102 on: November 05, 2020, 04:28:47 AM »
Expand Quote
loopholes are grippy? My conical 56mm make me feel like I’m fucking leo valls reveritng and powersliding all over the shop
[close]

For me they start out slick until you wear off the gloss and get them dinged up a little, then they get significantly grippier. When they break in they feel less slick than F4 but not as grippy as the STF 99a easy streets in my opinion.

Yeah my loopholes/ nfgs are pretty grippy. like em when the ground feels slick

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26103 on: November 05, 2020, 04:44:50 AM »

Strangelove 8.25" x 31.38" 14.25" wb
Theeve Ti-Hanger 5.5
Boardy Cakes benchwarmer 48.5mm 99a
Bop Shop grip
Bop Shop hardware
Bones Swiss Ceramics

Was lucky enough to catch one of these before all the dunk punks gobbled them up so they could resell them for $300 on ebay. Was unlucky enough for it to be fucking pink on both the top and bottom plys. I reeeeaaaallllllly hope they do more boards on this shape, but with a graphic all the hypebeast dildos who don't even skate won't immediately buy up.

I love short decks. I love PS wood. I am incredibly tired of pink stains and have begun to despise them. So not really a surprise that I hate how this deck looks but I'm loving how it skates so far. Its somewhat similar to the scumco team 8.25 from the broadcast series, just slightly shorter and less square. Tail Is just a cunt hair steeper than I would prefer and I'd be really happy if the nose was a tenth of an inch longer and a bit steeper but overall it's a very good happy medium shape. Pop is delightful, fresh PS wood always feels amazing to me.

skateandphotos

• Rep: 11
  • I just wanna ollie everyting
« Reply #26104 on: November 05, 2020, 05:51:50 AM »
Expand Quote
How’s the shape of that Muska board?
[close]

I swear the dudes at what I’m assuming is Prime copied/traced the Generator 8.12 shape as close as they possibly could

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I wonder if that dude could hook it up with an 8.12 eagle cause I only have one left myself and none of the local shops have any in stock

[close]

Yeah totally, if you lived in Australia...   :)
[close]
Perhaps another time then
CCS just restocked on Anti Hero there's 1 8.12 up and an 8.18.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #26105 on: November 05, 2020, 06:42:07 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

I swear the dudes at what I’m assuming is Prime copied/traced the Generator 8.12 shape as close as they possibly could

I skated a blue one this past week. Its not Prime wood I can tell you that much. Its pretty damn flat. I enjoyed it but I felt like I was going to snap it from it being so flat. I want to get one now and fully try out. Can anyone tell be the actual wheelbase? Websites kept saying it was 14.5. I highly doubt that! Oh and it felt like an 8.125 and not a 8.25. I saw some website measurement discrepancies on that as well. I didn't have a tape measure on me. 

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #26106 on: November 05, 2020, 09:01:43 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I skated a blue one this past week. Its not Prime wood I can tell you that much. Its pretty damn flat. I enjoyed it but I felt like I was going to snap it from it being so flat. I want to get one now and fully try out. Can anyone tell be the actual wheelbase? Websites kept saying it was 14.5. I highly doubt that! Oh and it felt like an 8.125 and not a 8.25. I saw some website measurement discrepancies on that as well. I didn't have a tape measure on me.
the blue one is 8.12. Here’s a side by side photo with an 8.12 eagle. It might be hard to tell because one is gripped and one isn’t but you get the idea. The wheelbase is 14” even. They’re practically cut the same and the steepness of the nose/tail is pretty close. The concave feels pretty similar as well. It seems like a case of whatever woodshop trying to emulate one of Generators shapes as close as possible without having their molds. It’s close but not quite right

fuck you bama

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #26107 on: November 05, 2020, 09:14:12 AM »
I cleaned house and played Santa lately. Now I am starting fresh with this and a new cruiser this weekend.

5boro 8.5 w/Jessup
Venture 6.1

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #26108 on: November 05, 2020, 09:40:46 AM »

the blue one is 8.12. Here’s a side by side photo with an 8.12 eagle. It might be hard to tell because one is gripped and one isn’t but you get the idea. The wheelbase is 14” even. They’re practically cut the same and the steepness of the nose/tail is pretty close. The concave feels pretty similar as well. It seems like a case of whatever woodshop trying to emulate one of Generators shapes as close as possible without having their molds. It’s close but not quite right

Oh wow it looks pretty damn identical! Thank you! I knew it wasn't and 8.25 from just having moving up to that size and the way I was able to do a rick flip I knew it couldn't be a 14.5 WB.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #26109 on: November 05, 2020, 01:02:07 PM »

Theeve Ti-Hanger 5.5
Bop Shop grip
Bop Shop hardware
Bones Swiss Ceramics

Was lucky enough to catch one of these before all the dunk punks gobbled them up so they could resell them for $300 on ebay. Was unlucky enough for it to be fucking pink on both the top and bottom plys. I reeeeaaaallllllly hope they do more boards on this shape, but with a graphic all the hypebeast dildos who don't even skate won't immediately buy up.

I love short decks. I love PS wood. I am incredibly tired of pink stains and have begun to despise them. So not really a surprise that I hate how this deck looks but I'm loving how it skates so far. Its somewhat similar to the scumco team 8.25 from the broadcast series, just slightly shorter and less square. Tail Is just a cunt hair steeper than I would prefer and I'd be really happy if the nose was a tenth of an inch longer and a bit steeper but overall it's a very good happy medium shape. Pop is delightful, fresh PS wood always feels amazing to me.

You are going to take someone's eye out with those kingpins!  Theeve (like ACE) have tall fucking pins!

I seem to be going shorter and shorter with my decks now; I've always tried to keep them under 32" no matter what (I like short tails and hate big noses); two setups right now that are 31.75 and 31.5 (one steep one flat)...oddly the stubby DLX 8.28x31.65x14.18 WB is the only board I'm still struggling with finding trucks for...maybe throw on the 5.6 Ventures.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #26110 on: November 05, 2020, 01:12:38 PM »
Expand Quote

Theeve Ti-Hanger 5.5
Bop Shop grip
Bop Shop hardware
Bones Swiss Ceramics

[close]

You are going to take someone's eye out with those kingpins!  Theeve (like ACE) have tall fucking pins!

I seem to be going shorter and shorter with my decks now; I've always tried to keep them under 32" no matter what (I like short tails and hate big noses); two setups right now that are 31.75 and 31.5 (one steep one flat)...oddly the stubby DLX 8.28x31.65x14.18 WB is the only board I'm still struggling with finding trucks for...maybe throw on the 5.6 Ventures.

Same here. I tried Indy, thunders, and tensor and neither felt quite right. Let me know if you find something that works.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #26111 on: November 05, 2020, 03:25:06 PM »
I feel like there would be quite a few DLX / AH or similar 8.38 decks, Indy 149s, Spitfire 56mm classic fulls out there (which is what I am riding right now), but I used to have a lot more black eagles and similar setups, all with the same sticker job, etc.

So does this take setup madness to whole new levels?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW4GJ5ThdVX/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkO2sD0FQF6/

This is beautiful. A whole flock of eagles

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26112 on: November 05, 2020, 03:31:27 PM »

8.28 DLX shape is 100% best on 5.6 forged Ventures in my opinion. I was pretty meh on 5.6 hollows until I tried them on that deck and it completely "unlocked" them for me. I have two sets now, one that I can try on other stuff and one that stays permanently on the 8.28 I always have in the rotation. It's my favorite DLX shape by far, but it feels slightly off on anything but Ventures.

And I don't do smiths or anything else that the theeve kingpin would be an issue on, but I still kind of hate it. It doesn't help that the TI-Hanger are a really squirrelly feeling truck just by nature (they're also similar to ace in both feel and wb) so I crank them down pretty good to chill them out and prevent wheelbite (obviously not much of an issue on this setup, but the previous one was an 8.25 bbs deck with 55mm wheels). I've tried using bones hard but didn't like it, then I had a hard bottom and medium top for a while but it was still a little too firm so I just went back to using mediums and cranking them down. They still turn on a fucking dime but this way I don't feel like I'm dropping into impending death when I hit the hill bomb on my way home from work every day.

NoHopeNoHarm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #26113 on: November 05, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »
Krooked 8.38 W, 32 L, 14.5 WB

Indy 149 MiD Baseplates
Indy 149 Stage XI Hollow Hangars
Krux DL Hollow Kingpin + Washers
Supercush 88a bushings
Riptide Pivot Cups

Spitfire F4 Lock-ins ~52mm
Shieldless Race Reds

Corona Slides

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #26114 on: November 05, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You can take the trucks off when you're done skating the deck.
[close]

Lol
[close]

I was hanging out at the skate shop once when this kid came in with a broken board. The after while he was picking out the deck the shop worker asked the dad to hand him the broken board. As the dad was handing over the board, he was asking how much the wheels(referring to the entire truck setup) were. Shop guy, being a normal human being, says everything looks perfect so we can switch them to the new deck. The dad look at his son and asked him he knew they only needed to by decks and could keep the rest, in a way assuming they were both ignorant to this. The kids face just fucking melted, cause the shop dude blew up his spot. He was getting brand new setups every time he broke a deck.

Priceless
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26115 on: November 06, 2020, 01:51:23 AM »

Indy 149 MiD Baseplates
Supercush 88a bushings
Riptide Pivot Cups

Shieldless Race Reds

Corona Slides

Such a good setup, love that size and shape deck, nice long wheelbase and tail, but more interesting is already the frankenstein mix up of the Indy mids, so I think I would not be the only one saying I would like to see how they feel and ride for you.

I imagine you would have quite a bit of kingpin clearance on those now, way more so than the normal mid and maybe even more than the normal standards.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #26116 on: November 06, 2020, 02:46:32 AM »
I rode it a few hours ago, it felt fucking amazing. Especially coming from Thunders where I felt like I was getting wheelbite every time i turned. The clearance is definitely good, I did a bunch of smiths and feebles and ledges and rails and only got a few light marks on the kingpin washer. Certainly didn't hang up. The only thing I found was that it was very difficult to tighten the kingpins enough. They straight up just stop turning at one point, like they are getting stuck in some nylock or something at the end of the indy mid baseplate nut.

These soft ass bushings, however fun, will get too mushy pretty soon I expect. Or I will just want to change to something a little more stable for my weight (190 lbs). When that time comes I will be swapping in some blue 92a aftermarket indy bushings and possibly grindking/kreper kingpins as well.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #26117 on: November 06, 2020, 06:52:05 AM »

Indy 149 MiD Baseplates
Supercush 88a bushings
Riptide Pivot Cups

Shieldless Race Reds

Corona Slides

Frank (just Frank) on the grip???
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #26118 on: November 06, 2020, 11:29:14 AM »

Hell yes my man. The Brutal Wave is one of my favorite albums. Thats what I think of skating ledges. A ledge is the most brutal wave.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #26119 on: November 06, 2020, 11:59:43 AM »
I cleaned house and played Santa lately. Now I am starting fresh with this and a new cruiser this weekend.

5boro 8.5 w/Jessup
Venture 6.1

I almost scooped this deck today but I like 8.3's a little better so I ended up copping a Politic instead.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #26120 on: November 06, 2020, 06:15:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hell yes my man. The Brutal Wave is one of my favorite albums. Thats what I think of skating ledges. A ledge is the most brutal wave.

Rad!  My old band was on the same label as them and I got to hang with Chris a few times when we played in NY.  I love them and that album is one of my favorites.  Its cool to see other people into them!
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #26121 on: November 06, 2020, 06:52:05 PM »

AWS 8.25
Thunder 148s
Spitfire Tablets 54mm (originally)
Spitifire cheapshots
Shortys Hardware De La Soul colorway

Lakai Carroll
Hey Dog! Ricardo Revuelta Pro Model (Mexican brand, got them for hella cheap and they skate fucking great)
First time I've actually done the rotation deal, but I'm finishing up a video and want to film some shit with the Carolls but the new grip has been killing them so I throw in the other pair so the shoes aren't destroyed for when I (hopefully) get some clips in them.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #26122 on: November 07, 2020, 01:10:00 AM »

AWS 8.25
Thunder 148s
Spitifire cheapshots

Lakai Carroll
Hey Dog! Ricardo Revuelta Pro Model (Mexican brand, got them for hella cheap and they skate fucking great)
First time I've actually done the rotation deal, but I'm finishing up a video and want to film some shit with the Carolls but the new grip has been killing them so I throw in the other pair so the shoes aren't destroyed for when I (hopefully) get some clips in them.

Those shoes are tight. Wonder can they be gotten in the EU

https://chilangoskate.com/shop/tenis-skate/16346-tenis-hey-dog-pro-model-ricardo-revuelta-cafe-blanco.html
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #26123 on: November 07, 2020, 03:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Rad!  My old band was on the same label as them and I got to hang with Chris a few times when we played in NY.  I love them and that album is one of my favorites.  Its cool to see other people into them!

What was your old band?

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #26124 on: November 07, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »
Expand Quote

AWS 8.25
Thunder 148s
Spitifire cheapshots

Lakai Carroll
[close]

Those shoes are tight. Wonder can they be gotten in the EU

https://chilangoskate.com/shop/tenis-skate/16346-tenis-hey-dog-pro-model-ricardo-revuelta-cafe-blanco.html
Really doubt you can get them in Europe. Maybe hit the dudes up?

Acky Jacky

« Reply #26125 on: November 07, 2020, 09:00:05 PM »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #26126 on: November 07, 2020, 09:20:51 PM »
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #26127 on: November 07, 2020, 09:54:36 PM »

Baker Rowan 8.125 x 31.875 - 14.25 WB
Indy 146 Stage VII, Bones bushings, Krux downlow
Bones Filmers 54mm 80a
Bones Big Balls

never skated a baker OG mellow. will see how it goes!

Acky Jacky

« Reply #26128 on: November 07, 2020, 09:58:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
We’re gonna need specs
Alltimers 8.3
Venture 5.6
F4 Classic 54 with Swiss Bones
Allen & Mob
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 10:45:47 PM by Acky Jacky »

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #26129 on: November 07, 2020, 11:32:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
We’re gonna need specs
[close]
Alltimers 8.3
Venture 5.6
F4 Classic 54 with Swiss Bones
Allen & Mob

I feel like I'm the only one who gives a fuck about the length of a board. Am I losing my mind?

I love 917, but I hate how they cool guy it with the length of the board.

Not hating on Acky, but brands like All timers and 917 do this and it drives me nuts when full dims are not listed. Jealous of your board dude! Thinking of building a second set up but can't decide if I want ventures on both set ups or give thunders a chances
The chillest1