Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4825018 times)

Dmng and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Frank and Fred

Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26040 on: October 30, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »
Posted in Big Boy thread but this might be my main set up for the next few months. If the wheels are bunk, I'll load her up on some F4 97a s.

-Dressen Slick. An nostalgic impulse buy last year that I finally set up.
-Indy 159 standards, 88a conical aftermarkets. 1/8" risers, long hardware for period correct authenticity.
-OJ Nomads, 54 95a. Was holding out for the 97a F4s but got antsy. Mix matched bearings.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 839
« Reply #26041 on: October 31, 2020, 02:30:03 AM »
Posted in Big Boy thread but this might be my main set up for the next few months. If the wheels are bunk, I'll load her up on some F4 97a s.

-Indy 159 standards, 88a conical aftermarkets. 1/8" risers, long hardware for period correct authenticity.
-OJ Nomads, 54 95a. Was holding out for the 97a F4s but got antsy. Mix matched bearings.

Please report back about those wheels. I love the 97a OJ formula (especially at this time of year) so I don't know if I really need a 95a but the shape is interesting and I'm curious if they'll slide well. I tried the new mini logo 95a hybrid and while it's better than the old 90a it's still a little bit cruiser-ish and sticky which makes it hard to get into slides (but nice once youre actually sliding).

Leib, Son of Nat

« Reply #26042 on: October 31, 2020, 10:22:36 AM »

Scumco 8.75
Venture 6.1 bones soft/hard
Swiss
Spitfire for 54mm
Modus Allen hardware
Modus 1/8 riser

nevrwasben

« Reply #26043 on: October 31, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »

Scumco 8.75
Swiss
Spitfire for 54mm
Modus Allen hardware
Modus 1/8 riser
That’s a pretty deck
Dims? Nose/tail look kinda long
Concave?
Nose/tail steepness?

Leib, Son of Nat

« Reply #26044 on: October 31, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »
Expand Quote

Scumco 8.75
Swiss
Spitfire for 54mm
Modus Allen hardware
Modus 1/8 riser
[close]
That’s a pretty deck
Concave?
Nose/tail steepness?

8.625, but closer to 8.75
Medium to steep concave
Nose 7, tail 6 5/8 pretty mellow
14wb, came from a 15 to 14.5, feels pretty good.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1951
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #26045 on: October 31, 2020, 11:15:03 PM »

Santa Cruz 8.25 was getting some serious razor tail but still had some life, passed it onto a kid at the park with the jankiest deck.

Flip Luan Oliveria 8.12 - dimensions on the sticker were way off, listed as 8.12 x 32.2, was 8.12 x 31.75 x 14.125 so pretty close to a BBS 8" deck
BDskateco 5.25 Hollow Kingpin Trucks - BDskateco is a Spanish board company what started making trucks and wheels recently, all their manufacturing is based out of China. Their product has been flooding Asia because of the hardgoods drought. I'll get into my review of the trucks below.
Spitfire Tablets 101a 52mm - Choosing those weird colors that counterfeiters don't carry
Whatever bearings and bolts
Jessup

The BDSkatebo trucks were pretty meh, they are relatively tall at 53mm (after riding Thunder Forged) and heavy at 340g. They extend WB out a fair bit, close to 3.4" so very similar to a Venture Hi in terms of specs. Really didn't enjoy the height on them and coming from Thunder 148 Titanium these felt incredibly clunky. Coupled with the WB extension and height, the pop feel was really heavy. Also the bushings were tall and conical + barrel almost like a longboard height, turn was adequate but Ventures felt way better.

Gave them a solid 2 hours before I swapped out to Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lo and the board immediately felt much more lively and easier to pop. My legs were pretty gone at this point but the pinch was definitely superior, not entirely fair to say since the Ventures were worn in with the grind grooves too.

Overall decent for the price ($43, same as a standard Thunder / Venture) but not an orchid skater like me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #26046 on: November 01, 2020, 04:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Scumco 8.75
Swiss
Spitfire for 54mm
Modus Allen hardware
Modus 1/8 riser
[close]
That’s a pretty deck
Concave?
Nose/tail steepness?
[close]

Medium to steep concave
I have wanted to skate something like this for a while now. I haven't had any luck so far.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #26047 on: November 01, 2020, 06:13:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Scumco 8.75
Swiss
Spitfire for 54mm
Modus Allen hardware
Modus 1/8 riser
[close]
That’s a pretty deck
Concave?
Nose/tail steepness?
[close]

Medium to steep concave
[close]
I have wanted to skate something like this for a while now. I haven't had any luck so far.
I am on the same page.
I’ve been wanting to try on of their boards but, I can never find them or they’re sold out on their site.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

l1ll1ll1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #26048 on: November 01, 2020, 06:40:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones
[close]

Definitely digging this. What kind of wood does Carpet use?
[close]

I believe they use BBS. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Saw about 4 of them in real life, all of them BBS.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #26049 on: November 01, 2020, 06:59:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Please report back about those wheels. I love the 97a OJ formula (especially at this time of year) so I don't know if I really need a 95a but the shape is interesting and I'm curious if they'll slide well. I tried the new mini logo 95a hybrid and while it's better than the old 90a it's still a little bit cruiser-ish and sticky which makes it hard to get into slides (but nice once youre actually sliding).

Tried them yesterday. Not a long session but hit a few curb spots and a very crusty jersey barrier spot. They perform as advertised. Rolled over rugged ground nicely but you can easily get them to slide. On curbs they felt good as they are soft enough to have a controlled bite as you lay into a slappy but not so soft your wheel bounces off the curb if you hit it poorly. I did come nose and tail slides but I doubt they will slide well enough for blunt or lip slides, at least not for my lard arse. I wouldn't use them on my regular set up but for a fun crusty or slippery spot alternative they seem great. I'd even say they are a good cruiser wheel for someone who likes harder smaller wheels. Fun on hills also. I'm still looking to compare to the Spitfire F4 97s.

nevrwasben

« Reply #26050 on: November 01, 2020, 07:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Scumco 8.75
Swiss
Spitfire for 54mm
Modus Allen hardware
Modus 1/8 riser
[close]
That’s a pretty deck
Concave?
Nose/tail steepness?
[close]

Medium to steep concave
[close]
[close]
I am on the same page.
I’ve been wanting to try on of their boards but, I can never find them or they’re sold out on their site.
Well sheiiit, too short of a WB for me but otherwise sounds perfect. Alas, enjoy that beauty...

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #26051 on: November 01, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones
[close]

[close]

[close]

Saw about 4 of them in real life, all of them BBS.
Was digging it until I saw the price tag. Cool aesthetic I suppose, but my poor ass puckered up real quick when I saw 100 bucks/pounds for a deck.

Looking to stock up on a couple decks in my size and the 120 I'm about to spend will probably hurt haha. Maybe some day my wage will catch up to inflation/cost of living  :'(.

Cool set up regardless
The chillest1

Leib, Son of Nat

« Reply #26052 on: November 01, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Scumco 8.75
Swiss
Spitfire for 54mm
Modus Allen hardware
Modus 1/8 riser
[close]
That’s a pretty deck
Concave?
Nose/tail steepness?
[close]

Medium to steep concave
[close]
[close]
I am on the same page.
[close]
Well sheiiit, too short of a WB for me but otherwise sounds perfect. Alas, enjoy that beauty...

Thank you, I will.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #26053 on: November 01, 2020, 04:24:54 PM »
How do you guys get your board not to curve to one way? Mine wants to turn to the left all the time.

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #26054 on: November 01, 2020, 04:25:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones
[close]

[close]

Seriously $100 for this?

Blank deck, plus maybe $20 in Montana paint (if you wanna go high end) and there you go.
BBS is good wood no doubt, but that is some low effort shit on their part. You gonna pay $100 for that, I got a bridge to sell you.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #26055 on: November 01, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones
[close]

[close]

[close]

Seriously $100 for this?

Blank deck, plus maybe $20 in Montana paint (if you wanna go high end) and there you go.
BBS is good wood no doubt, but that is some low effort shit on their part. You gonna pay $100 for that, I got a bridge to sell you.

I bought mine for $85 CAD. I had to pay shipping which was about $15, but I got to support a smaller bricks-and-mortar skateshop and $85 is pretty much the going rate for any board up here. I'm excited to skate the one I have waiting for me, plus the bag it came in was pretty sick.

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #26056 on: November 01, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones
[close]

[close]

[close]

Seriously $100 for this?

[close]

I bought mine for $85 CAD. I had to pay shipping which was about $15, but I got to support a smaller bricks-and-mortar skateshop and $85 is pretty much the going rate for any board up here. I'm excited to skate the one I have waiting for me, plus the bag it came in was pretty sick.

Thats cool, honestly. Im stoked you're willing to pay extra to support a small guy.

But it does make me reconsider the effort and money I put in to make "professional" decks when I paint and print my own backyard shit all day.

Power of marketing I guess.

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #26057 on: November 02, 2020, 07:51:46 AM »
Polar Shin 8.25 x 31.somerhing x 14.125
Film 5.5 Leo valls
1/4" risers
F4 conical 53mm now <50mm
Rockinrons

Really loving this shape! Smallest board in a while but has a nice big tail and nose that are round and not too square.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #26058 on: November 02, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones
[close]

[close]

[close]

Seriously $100 for this?

[close]

[close]

Thats cool, honestly. Im stoked you're willing to pay extra to support a small guy.

But it does make me reconsider the effort and money I put in to make "professional" decks when I paint and print my own backyard shit all day.

Power of marketing I guess.

Tbh I’m kinda surprised about your take on the carpet thing, re ‘marketing’. Carpet seems to have really gripped some folks, so yeah they are going to have some fans, it doesn’t look to me like an example of marketing tho. Grassroots, no? I haven’t bought they stuff, but would for sure. I’ve spent a bit more for a deck from scram, and it was such a dope purchase (didn’t really favor the board): just extra care and attention, the board was wrapped in paper bags with an additional graphic painted on that. Extra stuff....just seemed really cool.
I’m also pretty old, and cannot really fathom how decks are as cheap as they are, feels weird. At this point I’d rather pay more for board construction, local production, local scene, than graphics, but that’s me.
Too long. You, El Chup, seem kinda dusty haterish on this to me

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #26059 on: November 02, 2020, 12:52:14 PM »

Theories Special Delivery Shape 9" at widest point, 14.25" WB (measured from middle of each innerbolt) , 31.25" measuring strait across from nose to tail (not pressing tape down)

ACE 44's
F4 Conical 53MM 101a that are about 50-51MM now.
Bones Big Balls

been wanting a big board to do more slappys / skate transition more . seems like this going to be quite a fun shape to mess around on , as its been hard to get away from my 8" popsicle shape and ventures.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #26060 on: November 02, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »

Theories Special Delivery Shape 9" at widest point, 14.25" WB (measured from middle of each innerbolt) , 31.25" measuring strait across from nose to tail (not pressing tape down)

ACE 44's
Bones Big Balls

been wanting a big board to do more slappys / skate transition more . seems like this going to be quite a fun shape to mess around on , as its been hard to get away from my 8" popsicle shape and ventures.

Ohhhh shit that looks good! Absolutely perfect set up.

Have you skated it yet?

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #26061 on: November 02, 2020, 04:55:56 PM »
Polar Shin 8.25 x 31.somerhing x 14.125
Film 5.5 Leo valls
1/4" risers
F4 conical 53mm now <50mm
Rockinrons

Really loving this shape! Smallest board in a while but has a nice big tail and nose that are round and not too square.

Jawns clean. What's good on those film trucks? Do they compare to the big 3, so to say,?
Whoa. Danger.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #26062 on: November 02, 2020, 05:22:13 PM »
I'd just like to say that the destructo d1 mid's are fucking great. I haven't measured 'em, but if they really are 56 mm tall they sure don't feel it. I've ridden the hollow pin 5.5 without bottom washer and indy conical bushing for more than 1,5 years now. 2 sets, first set had mag plates, the kingpin got wobbly and the axle slipped after about a year, but I loved them all their life.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #26063 on: November 02, 2020, 05:42:37 PM »

ACE 44's
Bones Big Balls

I skated the hell out of mine and loved it. I think I progressed more on it than any recent popsicle, weirdly enough. Rode mine on Ace 55s. Have fun!

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #26064 on: November 03, 2020, 09:53:44 AM »

93 shape
7.625 14wb
5.2 lo
52 99du fa

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #26065 on: November 03, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »

So a brief session in a pair of Half Cab Pros (I’m a dedicated cupsole guy) led to two weeks of extensive madness. I’m back in cups but somehow I ended up on Indy?!?! Second set ever, I bought them on sale and they sat basically unused until now.

DOA flat 8.25
Hollow 144
Loophole 53mm

The Indys feel great, as much as I hate to say it. HELLRIDE 2020.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:23:00 PM by chris. »

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #26066 on: November 03, 2020, 02:25:54 PM »

So a brief session in a pair of Half Cab Pros (I’m a dedicated cupsole guy) led to two weeks of extensive madness. I’m back in cups but somehow I ended up on Indy?!?! Second set ever, I bought them on sale and they sat basically unused until now.

DOA flat 8.25
Hollow 144
Loophole 53mm

What did you ride before indy?

P.S. Legacy Slims are the shit, love em.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #26067 on: November 03, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »
This whole page is dynamite!
Whoa. Danger.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #26068 on: November 03, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »
This whole page is dynamite!
Just gonna say that! All completely different setups that look fun as hell!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26069 on: November 03, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »

DOA flat 8.25
Hollow 144
Loophole 53mm

How are you liking the loopholes? I can't quit mine lately.