Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4811548 times)

NickSoapdish and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Yoshi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26130 on: November 08, 2020, 01:38:03 AM »

Palace southbank deck 8.25
Indy hollows
Bones Swiss
Wayward wheels
Modus bolts
Jessup grip

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #26131 on: November 08, 2020, 05:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
We’re gonna need specs
[close]
Alltimers 8.3
Venture 5.6
F4 Classic 54 with Swiss Bones
Allen & Mob

[close]

I feel like I'm the only one who gives a fuck about the length of a board. Am I losing my mind?

I love 917, but I hate how they cool guy it with the length of the board.

Not hating on Acky, but brands like All timers and 917 do this and it drives me nuts when full dims are not listed. Jealous of your board dude! Thinking of building a second set up but can't decide if I want ventures on both set ups or give thunders a chances

Length of the board is more important to me than width. I think.
You are posting on the internet (and I’m replying to you soooo) about skateboard dimensions, so your (our) mind(s) are real lost.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #26132 on: November 08, 2020, 07:58:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
We’re gonna need specs
[close]
Alltimers 8.3
Venture 5.6
Allen & Mob

[close]

I feel like I'm the only one who gives a fuck about the length of a board. Am I losing my mind?

Not hating on Acky, but brands like All timers and 917 do this and it drives me nuts when full dims are not listed. Jealous of your board dude! Thinking of building a second set up but can't decide if I want ventures on both set ups or give thunders a chances
[close]

You are posting on the internet (and I’m replying to you soooo) about skateboard dimensions, so your (our) mind(s) are real lost.

Hey I hear you. I asked for 8.25, the shop had to measure it because the dimensions aren’t listed on the board or packaging. I looked it up later and this is an 8.3 and another color of this design (which they had in stock), is 8.25.

To your point I just tape measured the deck 32” x ~8.3” with ~14.25” wheelbase.

I usually just buy decks with blind faith in the shape, wheelbase and length. My last Alltimers deck felt amazing to me, and if they had the wheelbase and length listed I wouldn’t put too much thought into it. That being said I think if it was a super long wheelbase or a long ass deck I could tell when I’m looking at it, but honestly it’s likely I’m wrong about that. Maybe it wouldn’t be until I was skating that I could tell.

Part of the fun of a new deck to me is just seeing how well it suits me, I’ve been skating a long time, and adapt fine to most boards, but some definitely feel more magical then others.

I ran Thunders for quite a while, but I was grinding a lot less back then. I’m slightly curious to try some again but wheel-bite nightmares hold me back.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #26133 on: November 08, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »

Politic 8.3
venture 5.8
52mm F4 Lockin
Ceramic Reds
Jessup
Shorty's hex

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #26134 on: November 08, 2020, 09:35:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
We’re gonna need specs
[close]
Alltimers 8.3
Venture 5.6
Allen & Mob

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hey I hear you. I asked for 8.25, the shop had to measure it because the dimensions aren’t listed on the board or packaging. I looked it up later and this is an 8.3 and another color of this design (which they had in stock), is 8.25.

To your point I just tape measured the deck 32” x ~8.3” with ~14.25” wheelbase.

I usually just buy decks with blind faith in the shape, wheelbase and length. My last Alltimers deck felt amazing to me, and if they had the wheelbase and length listed I wouldn’t put too much thought into it. That being said I think if it was a super long wheelbase or a long ass deck I could tell when I’m looking at it, but honestly it’s likely I’m wrong about that. Maybe it wouldn’t be until I was skating that I could tell.

Part of the fun of a new deck to me is just seeing how well it suits me, I’ve been skating a long time, and adapt fine to most boards, but some definitely feel more magical then others.

I ran Thunders for quite a while, but I was grinding a lot less back then. I’m slightly curious to try some again but wheel-bite nightmares hold me back.

I like this perspective haha. Hope that Alltimers brings you all the magic dude!
The chillest1

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #26135 on: November 08, 2020, 11:47:40 AM »

Politic 8.3
venture 5.8
52mm F4 Lockin
Ceramic Reds
Jessup
Shorty's hex

crisp + beautiful!

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26136 on: November 08, 2020, 12:35:00 PM »
8.5 Girl
149 Indy's standard
56 mm F4 Spitfire full conicle (54 mm now)
Bronson G3
1 Pig Railno entry emoticons

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #26137 on: November 08, 2020, 08:37:26 PM »

Politic 8.3
venture 5.8
52mm F4 Lockin
Ceramic Reds
Jessup
Shorty's hex

Can you post a top pic? (I promise I won't mock your grip job)

I just got my first politic both because the graphic is awesome and because I wanted to support Damon from Politic and Library skate shop (bookmark it, especially if you're northeast... hes always got great stuff and hes incredibly cool, answers all my stupid questions and responds quickly). I got it on Friday and was pleasantly surprised that it was a square shape, which I've only ever seen from south central on certain DOA boards. I normally struggle with the SC standard concave mold because the tail is so steep, but for whatever reason its not as much of a problem when its square. Just curious if thats standard for politic or not. Oh, and it had a fade stain top ply, which I've never seen on any SC deck before. Looks great.

I got to skate it a little bit on saturday and it felt awesome. Unfortunately I'm deploying to Texas for the next two weeks to help out with a covid outbreak and I didn't want to risk traveling with a brand new board so I just took an old setup. Looking forward to skating it more when I get back.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #26138 on: November 08, 2020, 10:15:16 PM »
8.5 Real Full SE
151 Thunder lights. Stock top, 88a Indy conical bottoms without washers
54 Loophole V’s
Jessup
Shieldless Reds
Allen

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #26139 on: November 09, 2020, 03:34:27 AM »
8.5 Real Full SE
54 Loophole V’s
Jessup
Shieldless Reds
Allen

Nice setup. How you liking the Indy bushings on thunders?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #26140 on: November 09, 2020, 06:42:48 AM »
Expand Quote

Politic 8.3
venture 5.8
52mm F4 Lockin
Ceramic Reds
Jessup
Shorty's hex
[close]

Can you post a top pic? (I promise I won't mock your grip job)

I just got my first politic both because the graphic is awesome and because I wanted to support Damon from Politic and Library skate shop (bookmark it, especially if you're northeast... hes always got great stuff and hes incredibly cool, answers all my stupid questions and responds quickly). I got it on Friday and was pleasantly surprised that it was a square shape, which I've only ever seen from south central on certain DOA boards. I normally struggle with the SC standard concave mold because the tail is so steep, but for whatever reason its not as much of a problem when its square. Just curious if thats standard for politic or not. Oh, and it had a fade stain top ply, which I've never seen on any SC deck before. Looks great.

I got to skate it a little bit on saturday and it felt awesome. Unfortunately I'm deploying to Texas for the next two weeks to help out with a covid outbreak and I didn't want to risk traveling with a brand new board so I just took an old setup. Looking forward to skating it more when I get back.

Here ya go, I never really do anything special with grip jobs

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #26141 on: November 09, 2020, 08:51:46 AM »
Expand Quote
8.5 Real Full SE
54 Loophole V’s
Jessup
Shieldless Reds
Allen

[close]

Don't take this the wrong way because I'm completely incompetent at gripping boards:

Does no grip at the ends of your nose and tail no fuck with you?

I one time did the g stripe (correct term?) on the side on accident and that fucked with me. Thought about doing a speed stripe in the middle but I can barely even pull off flat black.

I need to watch a grip video like one would a trick tip video
The chillest1

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #26142 on: November 09, 2020, 09:12:33 AM »
Expand Quote
8.5 Real Full SE
54 Loophole V’s
Jessup
Shieldless Reds
Allen

[close]

Softer bottoms without a washer is the only way to get Thunders to turn the way I want.

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #26143 on: November 09, 2020, 09:25:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
8.5 Real Full SE
54 Loophole V’s
Jessup
Shieldless Reds
Allen

[close]

[close]

Don't take this the wrong way because I'm completely incompetent at gripping boards:

Does no grip at the ends of your nose and tail no fuck with you?

I one time did the g stripe (correct term?) on the side on accident and that fucked with me. Thought about doing a speed stripe in the middle but I can barely even pull off flat black.

I need to watch a grip video like one would a trick tip video

It doesn’t affect me at all. Do you mean visually/mentally, or the lack of grip making my feet slip off?
Visually, I prefer it. Plain black grip is boring to me and even the most simple custom job makes it your own.
The contact area is so small that it doesn’t really matter. I’ve got 11.5 feet so more of my foot is on griptape than not. And I set up in the middle of the nose for switch/nollie tricks.
Gripping your board is just a matter of patience and I really enjoy it . I haven’t had anyone setup my board for me in over 20 years. I also worked in the warehouse at Daddies/CCS for over three years. So I’ve probably gripped a few thousand decks.
TLDR:
It’s not that big of a deal

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #26144 on: November 09, 2020, 10:07:38 AM »
New set-up after searching high and low for 8.38's with a 14" WB. Close enough.

My first FA! Crazy square.

FA 8.38 x 31.75" 14.18" Wheel Base.
139 Indys with double speed ring on the inside. Waiting for 144s.
Krux top bushing stock indy bottom.
51mm Spitfire Tablets 101a.
Bones Swiss.
7/8" Phillips Silverados (Lites)
Random black grip I got from buying a baker board. I actually really like it. (Shake Junt?? ???)

Oh and custom paint job. It was too much green for me. I've got two other green decks right now.

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #26145 on: November 09, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »
Krooked 8.5
Venture 5.8
Wayward conical 52mm

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #26146 on: November 09, 2020, 12:30:00 PM »
Have any of you guys rocked Indy 159s on a 8.38? Like Peter Hewitt does. I am interested in skating a board under 8.5 again but don't wanna change trucks
For Your Health

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26147 on: November 09, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
Have any of you guys rocked Indy 159s on a 8.38? Like Peter Hewitt does. I am interested in skating a board under 8.5 again but don't wanna change trucks

159s are real decent, and it totally works. More wheelbite tho. I’ve actually skated 159s on 8.25s, more than once, also works.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26148 on: November 09, 2020, 01:30:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

159s are real decent, and it totally works. More wheelbite tho. I’ve actually skated 159s on 8.25s, more than once, also works.
that thought induced a brief episode of ptsd. the biggest issue with axles wider than deck is having to baby every turn and landing if you ride loose.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26149 on: November 09, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
that thought induced a brief episode of ptsd. the biggest issue with axles wider than deck is having to baby every turn and landing if you ride loose.

Early in quarantine I skated a flat DOA 8.25" with 159s. It was cool for slappys and I learned slappy BS crooks on it. It was just super heavy and looked kind of wild so I went back to 149s and then to Ace 44s.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #26150 on: November 09, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »
about to take this boy out.

The graphic is a test screen print. Hopefully, I figure it out. I have to reassemble my print jig to be more stable. so the board won't wobble and smeer.

tensor 5.5 magnessium
Satori 101a 53mm
bones swiss

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26151 on: November 09, 2020, 01:54:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Early in quarantine I skated a flat DOA 8.25" with 159s. It was cool for slappys and I learned slappy BS crooks on it. It was just super heavy and looked kind of wild so I went back to 149s and then to Ace 44s.

Agree with both ya’ll, it’s not my ideal. Basically too heavy, and turns are slower. For straight flip tricks, it worked well for me (kickflips, switch heels, etc), but for any treflips, or rotations....too funky. I can’t skate transition, and I’ve got some type of weird ledge disability, so I’m usually just trying to put in an hour of flat ground, and some cruising. 159s on hills are cool, but after skating for a short time my legs feel like I’ve been in a fight, just all beat up (I’m that dusty). 
44s are such a versatile truck

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #26152 on: November 09, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »

New everything aside from wheels

Habitat 8.25
First pair of Thunders after riding Indy my whole life, 148 lights
Spitfire F4 52mm
Bones Swiss
Jessup Ultra

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #26153 on: November 09, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »

It doesn’t affect me at all. Do you mean visually/mentally, or the lack of grip making my feet slip off?
Visually, I prefer it. Plain black grip is boring to me and even the most simple custom job makes it your own.
The contact area is so small that it doesn’t really matter. I’ve got 11.5 feet so more of my foot is on griptape than not. And I set up in the middle of the nose for switch/nollie tricks.
Gripping your board is just a matter of patience and I really enjoy it . I haven’t had anyone setup my board for me in over 20 years. I also worked in the warehouse at Daddies/CCS for over three years. So I’ve probably gripped a few thousand decks.
TLDR:
It’s not that big of a deal

I think it would just be a mental thing for me. Rad set up tho!!!
The chillest1

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #26154 on: November 09, 2020, 08:53:14 PM »

The graphic is a test screen print. Hopefully, I figure it out. I have to reassemble my print jig to be more stable. so the board won't wobble and smeer.

tensor 5.5 magnessium
Satori 101a 53mm
bones swiss

cool setup up and rad graphic- how are the new line up of satori's?

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26155 on: November 09, 2020, 09:14:42 PM »
that real board is fire and I love your griptape job!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #26156 on: November 09, 2020, 10:39:53 PM »

Thanks dude. Haven’t had a Real in over ten years. Stoked on the shape and dims. .

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #26157 on: November 10, 2020, 05:40:26 AM »
Expand Quote

tensor 5.5 magnessium
Satori 101a 53mm
bones swiss

[close]

cool setup up and rad graphic- how are the new line up of satori's?

I love this shape. Super skinny wheels just look good on a board IMO. I usually ride 83b. These are the first 101s I’ve had in a long time and didn’t hate day one.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26158 on: November 10, 2020, 06:05:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks dude. Haven’t had a Real in over ten years. Stoked on the shape and dims. .
yeah, I can’t even remember the last time a rocked a real but that shape looks reminiscent of all those square FA/ hockey/ wknd boards and I absolutely love loopholes atm

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #26159 on: November 10, 2020, 07:05:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@WizardOf0dds I’ve ridden basically everything but Indy in my years on and off the board. I was on Ventures most recently. I like Ace and Thunder too depending on the deck. I guess I’m glad to have another option to ride now. And I can’t find a shoe better than the Legacy Slim right now.

@FrozenIndustries I had a great session on the Loopholes yesterday. I put some better bearings in them and I’m gonna keep them on my main board for a while.  I never had the icy feeling mentioned by others, kinda the opposite, but they are in a good place now.

And no Loophole doesn’t make a 53 and now that I think about it I can’t remember what size I bought :o
[close]

Same, going between those and F4s (99 52mm conical full) the loopholes are WAY grippier. I am totally fine with it given how well they deal with rough ground.
[close]
loopholes are grippy? My conical 56mm make me feel like I’m fucking leo valls reveritng and powersliding all over the shop

Interesting! My Vshapes are pretty grippy, and I had two sets of square shapes, one of which was suuuuper icy for the first day then wore down a bit to be grippier, and the other (which I got used) was slightly grippier than that.

Oddly enough, they all feel the same rolling on different levels of crust, just the slide seems to be inconsistent from set to set.

Might just be a product of them being a smaller company outing smaller batches at a time?