Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786361 times)

munchbox and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26010 on: October 28, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »
went dumb on the new cruiser

Birdhouse 9.75
Slant 8.75 trucks (aka tensor alloy)
ricta cloud 53mm 86a
Globe grip
flip HKD bearings
indy hardware

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26011 on: October 28, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Class. Is that 7.5?

Is that from the new run of decks

[close]

It's from two releases ago, it's hard to tell from pictures but there's actually embossed tennis rackets on it too (it was inspired by an Andre Agassi shoe I think). It's one of my favorite DOA graphics so far, so much so that when a friend wanted an 8.25 flat I sent him a different one despite the strings one being way more beat up.

Enjoi 8.37 x 31.6 deedz FUN
Venture 5.2 low v-hollow
53mm Bop Shop wheels
Cheap ass vxb ceramic bearings
Black Magic

I was having so much FUN with my Lotti that I decided to really crank up the FUN and get the wider version. Everything besides the width is pretty much identical. Same mold, same length and wb, same FUN.

Hey guys I'm not sure if it's ever been pointed out before, but footballs are a lot of FUN.
I think you're short of the FUN word because that damn shape is EXTREMELY FUN. btw that sticker is sick.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #26012 on: October 28, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »
What are the kicks like on that deedz shape?

They are extremely FUN.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #26013 on: October 28, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
I dig fun.

What's the appeal of a football shape?

Interested as I've never skated one
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26014 on: October 28, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »
I dig fun.

They're FUN af
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #26015 on: October 28, 2020, 06:57:48 PM »
I dig fun.

The thing I like about bigger (9+) football shapes is for me they handle flip tricks, ledge stuff, etc...like a standard popsicle (8.25-5) but the width in the middle makes it feel like a cruiser board too. Plus it’s nice to look down and see something different.

And....

Fun

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #26016 on: October 29, 2020, 05:07:38 AM »
Expand Quote
I dig fun.

[close]

The thing I like about bigger (9+) football shapes is for me they handle flip tricks, ledge stuff, etc...like a standard popsicle (8.25-5) but the width in the middle makes it feel like a cruiser board too. Plus it’s nice to look down and see something different.

And....

Fun

Also for me they helped me learn a lot of tricks on transition. I remember in the Ronnie Sandoval 9 Club he said ishod learned how to skate transition on the Cardiel football shape. It makes transition skating so much.... fun.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #26017 on: October 29, 2020, 05:07:57 AM »
On that topic, fun...
ok thanks

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #26018 on: October 29, 2020, 07:05:30 AM »
Expand Quote

Beantooth (local shop) 8.75x32.5 14.25WB (Clutch X11 “symmetrical” shape)
NFG Square Shape 54mm
Big Balls
The Killing Floor grip

Bought this to support the shop this summer and have had it stashed. It’s shaped so the nose and tail are identical but feels like the nose is a little longer. I’m going to have to remeasure to confirm cause the dimensions/WB suggest it should be the same. It’s a big deck but rides much smaller than the dimensions. Actually swapping the wheels for some 58mm speedlabs and adding an 1/8” riser to get a steeper angle when I pop.
First time riding non-plain grip in decades. I love the way it looks but now I understand all these posts I see on slap with people saying that riding non-black grip messes with them.
[close]

Wow. That grip is lovely. I haven't ever switched from standard black tape but I'm definitely considering it now. Is it distracting for you? Is the grip itself decent?
The grip feels nice, comparable to the regular stuff I buy, and went on the board/trimmed easy. They really did a good job with this stuff. I thought the image on the grip would be way lower quality but it’s super detailed.
Yes, just a little distracting but within a few sessions that went away and it’s no big deal any more.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
« Reply #26019 on: October 29, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
On that topic, fun...

Holy crap those Aces  :o

Great looking parts all around

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #26020 on: October 29, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »
Expand Quote
On that topic, fun...

[close]

Holy crap those Aces  :o

Great looking parts all around

That setup is spooooooky

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #26021 on: October 29, 2020, 10:10:02 AM »
Damn, I love the look for brand new Aces.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #26022 on: October 29, 2020, 10:28:11 AM »
Expand Quote
I dig fun.

[close]

So I take it one would be able to run smaller trucks on a shape like that, for example 44s or 149s on a 9+ football? I guess you just need to have the width at the trucks be close to 8.5... interesting, I didn't think of it like that. Been feeling the squared shapes lately so a football shape feels like the exact opposite.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #26023 on: October 29, 2020, 10:51:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I dig fun.

[close]

[close]

So I take it one would be able to run smaller trucks on a shape like that, for example 44s or 149s on a 9+ football? I guess you just need to have the width at the trucks be close to 8.5... interesting, I didn't think of it like that. Been feeling the squared shapes lately so a football shape feels like the exact opposite.

Depends on how much magic carpeting you like. For the 9.12 Villani shape I like Thunder 151’s which are 8.75. On the Heroin Eggxorcist (9.4) I had Indy 159’s which are also 8.75. So the middle of the deck feels wide, the trucks are the same as a bigger popsicle but the nose and tail, which continue to taper, end up feeling kind of like an 8.5 or sometimes smaller popsicle depending on the taper.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #26024 on: October 29, 2020, 12:45:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I dig fun.

[close]

And....

Fun
[close]

Also for me they helped me learn a lot of tricks on transition. I remember in the Ronnie Sandoval 9 Club he said ishod learned how to skate transition on the Cardiel football shape. It makes transition skating so much.... fun.

Thanks guys
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #26025 on: October 29, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »

Just a quick setup update:

Anti Hero (Black Widow shape) deck 8.5
Venture trucks 5.8
Spitfire Radial wheels 55mm 99a
Hardware - shop bolts, Bones Reds bearings, shop griptape

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26026 on: October 29, 2020, 06:05:20 PM »

Venture trucks 5.8

Looks great! Kinda wish I would have grabbed one of those when they were more common.

fairydinkum

« Reply #26027 on: October 29, 2020, 06:30:36 PM »
Expand Quote

Venture trucks 5.8
[close]

Looks great! Kinda wish I would have grabbed one of those when they were more common.

Thanks man! Straight away I can tell you the size difference compared to a regular 8.5 popsicle is staggering. I’ve quickly lost my consistency on about two thirds of my flip tricks, but everything else from grinds to stalls, streetplants got substantially easier.

Have been scouring the internet for this shape but really hope DLXSF reissue more. But if you can’t find it, the brown bomber (8.8) is the same shape but bigger and could be a more comfortable alternative.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #26028 on: October 30, 2020, 02:15:57 AM »
You should buy a box of those in case they stop making them!  ;)  That setup looks sick

JB77

« Reply #26029 on: October 30, 2020, 03:51:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture trucks 5.8
[close]

[close]

Thanks man! Straight away I can tell you the size difference compared to a regular 8.5 popsicle is staggering. I’ve quickly lost my consistency on about two thirds of my flip tricks, but everything else from grinds to stalls, streetplants got substantially easier.

Have been scouring the internet for this shape but really hope DLXSF reissue more. But if you can’t find it, the brown bomber (8.8) is the same shape but bigger and could be a more comfortable alternative.

What does the Black Widow taper to over the trucks?  Could you run 139’s on it?

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #26030 on: October 30, 2020, 04:39:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture trucks 5.8
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty sure its 8.25 over the trucks

fairydinkum

« Reply #26031 on: October 30, 2020, 05:10:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture trucks 5.8
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty sure its 8.25 over the trucks

I am running 8.5 trucks (149mm) on it just fine. In fact it’s superbly flush with the board railing. Just took it to my local bowl about an hr ago, and it’s a very responsive feel to say the least. Really happy with it!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26032 on: October 30, 2020, 06:56:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture trucks 5.8
[close]

[close]

yeah, had a bomber. Those are rare now too. DLX said that those shapes aren't discontinued, just out of stock. I need to stop obsessing over shaped boards that people stop making, even temporarily.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #26033 on: October 30, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture trucks 5.8
[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, had a bomber. Those are rare now too. DLX said that those shapes aren't discontinued, just out of stock. I need to stop obsessing over shaped boards that people stop making, even temporarily.

I go to sleep every night and wake up every morning hoping for a new Cardiel football. You’re not alone.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #26034 on: October 30, 2020, 07:48:22 AM »
I don’t understand why board brands make these highly successful and sought after shapes and then discontinue them after one run (Heroin)
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26035 on: October 30, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
I don’t understand why board brands make these highly successful and sought after shapes and then discontinue them after one run (Heroin)

Which Heroin shapes? Hit up Fos, he is on here and is super responsive, username is darkthrone.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #26036 on: October 30, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #26037 on: October 30, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones

Definitely digging this. What kind of wood does Carpet use?
The chillest1

TumKayo

« Reply #26038 on: October 30, 2020, 09:10:06 AM »

Which board?

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #26039 on: October 30, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »
Expand Quote

Carpet 8.38
Indy 144
FF 52's
Swiss
Bones
[close]

Definitely digging this. What kind of wood does Carpet use?

I believe they use BBS. Maybe someone can confirm this?