Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 3529245 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -112
  • <3
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27780 on: April 07, 2021, 07:17:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm jealous of that grimple board. I don't think my body is made for ace trucks tho. BA riding em gives me hope tho
The chillest1

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #27781 on: April 08, 2021, 06:02:16 AM »
Yeah, I'm jealous of that grimple board. I don't think my body is made for ace trucks tho. BA riding em gives me hope tho

Any consolation I'm 6'3" and wear a 10.5-11.5 depending on the brand. I have come to prefer the short WB, but I also mostly skate curbs these days.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #27782 on: April 08, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »

sorry for the weird photo, i had to take it off my instagram story because i already skated that board
alien 8.25 x 32.25 14.25, BIG ass nose, feels kinda weird, like a hockey board
old ace 44s
dialtone jahmal conicals 54 99
pig bolts
spitfire bearings
jessup grip
powell rail

the wheels are kinda funny too, they feel very good but the bearings keep popping out of some of them, it doesnít affect the skating or the speed but that never happened to me with any other wheels
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:01:48 PM by roba »
Skateboarding isn't a sport because when I'm in these streets I don't play
@grandroba

Maccat

• Rep: 19
« Reply #27783 on: April 08, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »
Was kinda over the hockey board and then took a chunk out of the nose, so I set up a Dane 1. It's my first time on a wheelbase this short and I can already tell it's gonna feel pretty crazy.

Dane 1
Jessup Ultra
ace 55
conical fulls 99a 56mm
quantum atoms
bronze

Has anyone else who's used jessup ultra had issues with the backing sheet tearing while you were trying to peel it?

That board is sick. The short WB makes for some quick cuts with loose trucks. Seeing this had me looking for another.

Like the no grip nose too. Easy on the hands.

jtrpma

• Rep: 39
  • PMA
« Reply #27784 on: April 08, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »
No grip on the nose of such a short deck could be tricky. I have had issues with my Dane (short Decks on general) to not have enough space to Ollie high. Loved the Dane1 anyways though, really nice setup
PMA

Paperclip20

• Rep: 29
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #27785 on: April 09, 2021, 04:44:41 AM »

Kinda close to a christmas complete.
Real 8.3 TT Slick
Thunder 149 team editions with ace low bushings
Spitfire 54mm conical fulls
Quantum bearing Isotopes

sammyz

• Rep: 36
« Reply #27786 on: April 09, 2021, 06:45:15 AM »
Thats a cool board...im almost finished with mine now...but im on thunder 148ís and 53mm classics

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 38
  • A sentient skatepark blue tooth speaker
« Reply #27787 on: April 09, 2021, 06:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Was kinda over the hockey board and then took a chunk out of the nose, so I set up a Dane 1. It's my first time on a wheelbase this short and I can already tell it's gonna feel pretty crazy.

Dane 1
Jessup Ultra
ace 55
conical fulls 99a 56mm
quantum atoms
bronze

Has anyone else who's used jessup ultra had issues with the backing sheet tearing while you were trying to peel it?
[close]

That board is sick. The short WB makes for some quick cuts with loose trucks. Seeing this had me looking for another.

Like the no grip nose too. Easy on the hands.

No grip on the nose of such a short deck could be tricky. I have had issues with my Dane (short Decks on general) to not have enough space to Ollie high. Loved the Dane1 anyways though, really nice setup

Thanks lads. It has been tough adjusting to the Dane 1; coming from the hockey with no tail and a massive nose, to this with a massive tail and no nose has completely fucked up my tricks, but damn does it feel good just cruising around. Shuv tricks are just effortless on it too.

backinaction

• Rep: 67
« Reply #27788 on: April 09, 2021, 09:00:57 AM »

Real 8.3 TT Slick
Quantum bearing Isotopes

Do the Ace Low help it turn?

I am on my 3rd 8.3 twin and I currently have 149 Thunder Ti on it.   I have skated the shape with Indy 149 Ti, Indy stage 8 146, Mini Logo 8.38 and the Thunder Ti.  The Thunders have been my least favorite - mainly because of the lack of turn -  with the Mini Logos and a 1/10th riser working the best for me.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #27789 on: April 09, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »
Big photos for a big boy! Curb Crusher that can still be nimble.

AWS 8.625"x31.7"x14.125" WB
159 Indy Forged hollow w/ACE low tops/reg bottoms+sleeved washers (snappy)
Riptide Cracked Ice pivot cups
97a 54mm spit conical fulls (two washers on the inside)
Bronson ceramics
MOB
Santa Cruz Slimline Rails
Nuts and Bolts

It looks more popsicle in photos than it feels once gripped; it could be the width but it is has a double shovel vibe going on. I am usually not a fan of large (long and full) noses but rounded but preferably squarish - full and on the shorter side, so this fits the bill. It has a symmetrical vibe going on as well (even tho it isn't).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:57:48 PM by Xen »

Paperclip20

• Rep: 29
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #27790 on: April 09, 2021, 02:45:21 PM »
Expand Quote

Real 8.3 TT Slick
Quantum bearing Isotopes
[close]
Do the Ace Low help it turn?
I am on my 3rd 8.3 twin and I currently have 149 Thunder Ti on it.   I have skated the shape with Indy 149 Ti, Indy stage 8 146, Mini Logo 8.38 and the Thunder Ti.  The Thunders have been my least favorite - mainly because of the lack of turn -  with the Mini Logos and a 1/10th riser working the best for me.

They don't really turn faster. but they turn better if that makes sense? The bushings just feel better to me. Higher quality I guess
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:03:17 PM by Paperclip20 »

z_tx

• Rep: 14
« Reply #27791 on: April 09, 2021, 03:44:16 PM »

Bronson ceramics
MOB
Nuts and Bolts

It looks more popsicle in photos than it feels once gripped; it could be the width but it is has a double shovel vibe going on. I am usually not a fan of large (long and full) noses but rounded but preferably squarish - full and on the shorter side, so this fits the bill. It has a symmetrical vibe going on as well (even tho it isn't).

Looks good. Im surprised the WB and length are so short for it being an 8.6
Their 8.125 and 8.25 also have the double shovel shapes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #27792 on: April 09, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
Expand Quote

Bronson ceramics
MOB
Nuts and Bolts

[close]

Looks good. Im surprised the WB and length are so short for it being an 8.6
Their 8.125 and 8.25 also have the double shovel shapes

The WB and length are the main reasons I picked it up; wanted a wide board but not with a 14.5 WB and pushing 33"+ length which is what seems to happen as you go wider.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:45:31 AM by Xen »

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #27793 on: April 09, 2021, 04:57:50 PM »
Goddamn that AWS looks nice. I was thinking anything above 8.375
was a no go from me, but the WB on this one has me thinking different. Hope you have some fun on that one @Xen
The chillest1

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #27794 on: April 09, 2021, 06:09:32 PM »
was a no go from me, but the WB on this one has me thinking different. Hope you have some fun on that one @Xen

I used to feel the same way (I always skated 8.3s but wouldn't go bigger); occasionally I run an 8.5" popsicle if I was park skating on the regular but always felt 8.3s were the best all around size for park, bowls, street, etc., but I will skate shaped boards in big boy pant sizes because why not!

This thing is a different beast mash-up for sure (for me anyway).

off

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #27795 on: April 09, 2021, 09:47:03 PM »
been dying to try this shape but its near impossible to find one in covid times. thanks @Buttfart Rapedick for hooking it up, first setup in the new apartment. 3 inside washers until I can get my hands on some ti (or hollow) 5.8s

scumco kiddie pool 8.75/31.75/14.0 wb
venture 5.6 hollows w/riptides+flat washers
f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup
sb dunk lows/adidas tyshawns

hyped to move on from 8.5s, too cramped for my liking. this has just the right amount of heel hanging off at this width

hobochimp

• Rep: 4
« Reply #27796 on: April 09, 2021, 09:48:59 PM »
been dying to try this shape but its near impossible to find one in covid times. thanks @Buttfart Rapedick for hooking it up, first setup in the new apartment. 3 inside washers until I can get my hands on some ti (or hollow) 5.8s

f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup

hyped to move on from 8.5s, too cramped for my liking. this has just the right amount of heel hanging off at this width

Clean setup. I too am on the search for some hollow or titanium 5.8s swear they donít exist right now

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
  • Hellride v. Wellread
« Reply #27797 on: April 09, 2021, 10:19:19 PM »
All these wideish boards with the nice short wheelbases have got me horny. Hope we start to see more of these out.
Also if i thought a mob of yewwing sweaty californians were about to wrap me up in a pabst-scented covid group hug I'd start pushing the fuck out of there too

Buttfart Rapedick

• Rep: 200
« Reply #27798 on: April 09, 2021, 10:21:45 PM »
Expand Quote

f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup

[close]

Clean setup. I too am on the search for some hollow or titanium 5.8s swear they donít exist right now

It's weird.. when they do come out it seems like only a few places get them and they go super fast so they must not make many of them. I wish I had pulled the trigger on the 5.6 titanium last time I saw them but that was mid-pandemic so they were like $95 at the few shops I saw that had them.

Fhk hu

• Rep: 78
« Reply #27799 on: April 10, 2021, 05:42:40 AM »
Damn the WBSWB movement is spreading like wildfire  8)
I love mine and I love all of you that love them too.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #27800 on: April 10, 2021, 05:49:38 AM »
All these wideish boards with the nice short wheelbases have got me horny. Hope we start to see more of these out.

This

newspaperparty

• Rep: 30
« Reply #27801 on: April 10, 2021, 08:23:21 AM »

f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup

that shape seems insane holy smokes. Need to try one. Awesome set up

HumBoogie

• Rep: 17
« Reply #27802 on: April 10, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »

f4 conical full 56mm 97a
swiss super 6
bronze
jessup

I don't have hollow or tit but I have a brand new never skated pair of 5 8 thrasher colab ventures I'll trade for those 5.6

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #27803 on: April 10, 2021, 10:56:44 AM »

First session and I love it! Didn't lose any flip tricks and gained Frontside Caballerials (no pivot) with absolute ease (along with some other tricks)

Slappies. Clearly I've been doing it wrong all these years. Wider trucks and bigger wheels are waaaaaay better.

Perhaps I'm just a wide board guy now and trying to force myself down to under 8.25" for the past few years was an effort in futility.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #27804 on: April 10, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

First session and I love it! Didn't lose any flip tricks and gained Frontside Caballerials (no pivot) with absolute ease (along with some other tricks)

Slappies. Clearly I've been doing it wrong all these years. Wider trucks and bigger wheels are waaaaaay better.

Perhaps I'm just a wide board guy now and trying to force myself down to under 8.25" for the past few years was an effort in futility.

Love to read it! Might have to give this big boy a shot. Loved feeling comfy on a bigger board, but always had a hard time flipping it. Thanks for the update!
The chillest1

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #27805 on: April 10, 2021, 12:25:52 PM »
Kickflips took a little bit of extra effort at first but I got used it, I thinks it’s more the weight of the board than the width. Impossibles were a little slower but everything else was normal. The front (full) cabs sold me...I can do them pretty well but not like today’s successes...started throwing in bigger heels and I was getting really close.

Also, I rip on Indy a lot but I’ll be damned if these 159s in this configuration/ bushing setup didn’t feel on point...and coming off tensor I was ready for the grind struggle but the ease of getting on and locking in helped extend the grinds just not as far as the mags...and I was slipping out.

Everything about it is just easy and comfy.

Better hurry, I just picked up two more; tactics has one left.

I picked up a bunch of 8.18” recently now I’m stuck with them ;)

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #27806 on: April 10, 2021, 02:18:38 PM »
Kickflips took a little bit of extra effort at first but I got used it, I thinks itís more the weight of the board than the width. Impossibles were a little slower but everything else was normal. The front (full) cabs sold me...I can do them pretty well but not like todayís successes...started throwing in bigger heels and I was getting really close.

Also, I rip on Indy a lot but Iíll be damned if these 159s in this configuration/ bushing setup didnít feel on point...and coming off tensor I was ready for the grind struggle but the ease of getting on and locking in helped extend the grinds just not as far as the mags...and I was slipping out.

Everything about it is just easy and comfy.

Better hurry, I just picked up two more; tactics has one left.

I picked up a bunch of 8.18Ē recently now Iím stuck with them ;)

Haha I can relate. I have 3 8.25s right now and have been thinking of going for a wider boy, especially for park skating.

I don't usually go through tactics but thanks for the heads up! I'm on medical leave right now, but once I'm back to work, and not living off disability I'm gonna definitely invest. Hopefully the place I go through (mum's the word but you can probably easily find who if you go through my post history) has these bad boys. Thanks again Xen!
The chillest1

Tomek

• Rep: 15
« Reply #27807 on: April 10, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »
Anti hero 8.1 x 31.38 14Ēwb
Thunder 148
Prize fighter 52
Reds
Jessup
Allen bronze

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #27808 on: April 10, 2021, 09:09:58 PM »
my dumb ass left my last one in the store

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNets9bFe0f/

pass~port 8.25
thunder 148s with bones mediums.. couldn't skate them stock as i tried for a few hours then can't find any thunder 95 bushings so i got the bones ones, not bad
f4 53 99a classics
bones reds
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

off

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #27809 on: April 10, 2021, 09:42:03 PM »
thanks for the appreciation pals, loving this setup. keep asking for WBSWB style decks and the companies will answer, have seen a couple more around after the thread went up.

let them know theres a market waiting to be tapped!