Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4798925 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27810 on: April 18, 2021, 08:04:32 PM »
Been loving smaller setup recently. Finished with the twin tail Ishod...now on to this...

Real Mason full se 8.38 x 32 x 14.4
Thunder 148’s - medium and super hard bushings
OJ 54mm 101 Dressen’s
Bones super swiss
Mob

Curious about trying the mixed bushings. Both my set ups have hard bushings because I use to wheel bite all the time, usually doing flip tricks. I miss getting surfy tho. Is this a happy medium for you?

I'm about 6' and usually weigh around 175-77. I might try it, but I've been off the board due to adjusting to meds and having rolled my ankle twice in a month. Think I might benefit from the stability till I get my groove back. Never thought I'd ride hard bushing but that's the way she goes
The chillest1

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #27811 on: April 18, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
Mixed bushings have saved me for many wheelbite scenarios...while still turning well.

I get a nice turn due to medium bushing but i get a bounce back when i lean too far, as the top bushing limits it.

For reference Im about 6’3 and 200lbs...for me its worked really well.

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #27812 on: April 18, 2021, 11:14:59 PM »
FA 8.5 14.25””
Venture 5.8
Formula4 53 classics
Bronze hardware
Bronson g2s

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #27813 on: April 19, 2021, 01:10:24 AM »
Mixed bushings have saved me for many wheelbite scenarios...while still turning well.

I get a nice turn due to medium bushing but i get a bounce back when i lean too far, as the top bushing limits it.

so is the top bushing supposed to be harder than the bottom one?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #27814 on: April 19, 2021, 01:17:46 AM »
Expand Quote

My vert setup

Sheffey inspired shape 7.375 x 31.5 14in wb
Venture Low 5.0
Spitfire 48mm
Bones BIGBALLS
Jessup griptape
Bronze 1in allenkey
[close]

Been thinking about going back to a big boy (8.6) but this thang looks kind of fun!

Fucking amazing
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27815 on: April 19, 2021, 05:13:20 AM »
Expand Quote

My vert setup

Sheffey inspired shape 7.375 x 31.5 14in wb
Venture Low 5.0
Spitfire 48mm
Bones BIGBALLS
Jessup griptape
Bronze 1in allenkey
[close]

Been thinking about going back to a big boy (8.6) but this thang looks kind of fun! a tech deck.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27816 on: April 19, 2021, 06:25:29 AM »
Set this up yesterday, with any luck I can skate it today.

8.5” Orchard shop deck
5.8 Standard (bones top washer)
F4 classics about 48mm

Advertised as a 14.25” wb but it’s closer to 14” which actually works out for me.

ScarceOne

« Reply #27817 on: April 19, 2021, 07:05:03 AM »
Good shape what wood shop do they use?

8.5” Orchard shop deck
F4 classics about 48mm

Advertised as a 14.25” wb but it’s closer to 14” which actually works out for me.

chris.

« Reply #27818 on: April 19, 2021, 08:01:21 AM »

Expand Quote

8.5” Orchard shop deck
F4 classics about 48mm

[close]

Popmaster Innovations. New wood shop out of Boston from old pro Robbie Gangemi. Despite the slightly hilarious name, it seems like a rad thing they’ve going on.

ScarceOne

« Reply #27819 on: April 19, 2021, 08:25:57 AM »
Oh sick I’ll def swoop a deck! Thanks ✌🏼

Expand Quote

Expand Quote

8.5” Orchard shop deck
F4 classics about 48mm

[close]
[close]

Popmaster Innovations. New wood shop out of Boston from old pro Robbie Gangemi. Despite the slightly hilarious name, it seems like a rad thing they’ve going on.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #27820 on: April 19, 2021, 09:47:49 AM »
Oh sick I’ll def swoop a deck! Thanks ✌&#127996;

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

8.5” Orchard shop deck
F4 classics about 48mm

[close]
[close]

[close]

The name is amazing.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

chris.

« Reply #27821 on: April 19, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Oh sick I’ll def swoop a deck! Thanks ✌&#38;#38;#127996;

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

8.5” Orchard shop deck
F4 classics about 48mm

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

The name is amazing.

The name just strikes me as a little goofy, but in an endearing way. And after skating for 20 minutes I have nothing but praise for this deck. It’s left the best first impression of any deck I can remember recently.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:07:36 AM by chris. »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #27822 on: April 19, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's how I do it. Bottom bushings give you the surfy and the top bushings give you the stability. At least that's what I think. Feel free to correct me when I am wrong pals.

Also those Orchard decks from Robbie look really rad, but probably not available in Europe?
IG: @flowterspace

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #27823 on: April 19, 2021, 12:30:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That's how I do it. Bottom bushings give you the surfy and the top bushings give you the stability. At least that's what I think. Feel free to correct me when I am wrong pals.

Also those Orchard decks from Robbie look really rad, but probably not available in Europe?
That's how truck manufacturers do it eg: Ace bushings and I've only seen other people run hard on top soft on the bottom. I recently tried to get it so that I could run 54s on Thunders without biting and tried a bunch of different combos. Wound up with 97a Thunder bottoms with 95a Riptide tops and felt like I was doing it wrong. Probably just gonna stay on Indys with Bones Hard since those are what works but if anyone can tell me that it's my skatebaord and I can run whatever bushings I want to, I'd appreciate it.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #27824 on: April 19, 2021, 03:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
That's how truck manufacturers do it eg: Ace bushings and I've only seen other people run hard on top soft on the bottom. I recently tried to get it so that I could run 54s on Thunders without biting and tried a bunch of different combos. Wound up with 97a Thunder bottoms with 95a Riptide tops and felt like I was doing it wrong. Probably just gonna stay on Indys with Bones Hard since those are what works but if anyone can tell me that it's my skatebaord and I can run whatever bushings I want to, I'd appreciate it.

Everyone else has already answered, but to confirm...medium bushing on bottom and super hard on top

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27825 on: April 19, 2021, 08:19:39 PM »

just retired the Gangemi Orchard M2 8.5 after a few weeks of skating. It was pretty nice the first few times I rode it but felt soggy too soon.

also retired my old ass stage 11 149s for these hollow 159s, which definitely feel a bit lighter. got the old bushings in, trucks are fairly loose (catching minor wheel bite with 53s and risers) but they still feel kinda stiff. Maybe it's the pivot cups???

got some brand new bearings in there today as well. I'd bought some Swiss 6 from Old Skull back around Xmas. they're absolute shit and don't spin. I don't skate hard enough for bearings to get ruined like that. Really wondering if the shop got sold some bootleg bearings because these things sucked out the gate.

anyways, new set up is

35th Ave shop deck 8.5
Real 3 ply risers
Indy 159 hollows
PFC 53mm 101A
Quantum Isotope bearings (which spin real nice right out the gate)
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 89
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #27826 on: April 19, 2021, 08:23:50 PM »
Thank you!  Love to hear it.
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27827 on: April 19, 2021, 09:11:50 PM »
Thank you!  Love to hear it.

hell ya, dude. took em for a spin just a bit ago and they felt good. gonna skate em for a couple weeks but might order another set for the homie

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #27828 on: April 20, 2021, 02:58:28 AM »

just retired the Gangemi Orchard M2 8.5 after a few weeks of skating. It was pretty nice the first few times I rode it but felt soggy too soon.

also retired my old ass stage 11 149s for these hollow 159s, which definitely feel a bit lighter. got the old bushings in, trucks are fairly loose (catching minor wheel bite with 53s and risers) but they still feel kinda stiff. Maybe it's the pivot cups???

got some brand new bearings in there today as well. I'd bought some Swiss 6 from Old Skull back around Xmas. they're absolute shit and don't spin. I don't skate hard enough for bearings to get ruined like that. Really wondering if the shop got sold some bootleg bearings because these things sucked out the gate.

anyways, new set up is

35th Ave shop deck 8.5
Real 3 ply risers
Indy 159 hollows
PFC 53mm 101A

Such a good big board!

Old Skull shop is legit and I don't recall / cannot think I have ever seen fake Swiss six ball bearings, but I definitely recall various situations where people have had issues with genuine Bones bearings, all of whom checked with Bones directly and all got a replacement set.

Might be worthwhile to put something in, even if it was a while ago now.

Bones really do stand behind their product 100% on that side of things.

https://bonesbearings.com/contact/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #27829 on: April 20, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
Expand Quote

anyways, new set up is

35th Ave shop deck 8.5
Real 3 ply risers
Indy 159 hollows
PFC 53mm 101A
[close]

Such a good big board!

Old Skull shop is legit and I don't recall / cannot think I have ever seen fake Swiss six ball bearings, but I definitely recall various situations where people have had issues with genuine Bones bearings, all of whom checked with Bones directly and all got a replacement set.

whats the deal with getting replacements if the shields are popped off?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank and Fred

« Reply #27830 on: April 20, 2021, 09:32:58 AM »
Bones need breaking in. Give them a solid few sessions. Ideally, you skate them hard for a few weeks, clean and re-lube but I find mine get good after a few sessions... I purchased some 6Balls from Old Skull around the same time. They are still in the box waiting to be used... now you've got me nervous...

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27831 on: April 20, 2021, 04:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote

anyways, new set up is

35th Ave shop deck 8.5
Real 3 ply risers
Indy 159 hollows
PFC 53mm 101A
[close]

Such a good big board!

right on. thank you. I've bought other stuff from old skull and it's all been solid, so I'm to trying to say anything bad about the shop. I'll have to email bones because these things are toast right out the gate. The set of old AF standard Swiss I replaced are spinning better. these ones are just no bueno.

Bones need breaking in. Give them a solid few sessions. Ideally, you skate them hard for a few weeks, clean and re-lube but I find mine get good after a few sessions... I purchased some 6Balls from Old Skull around the same time. They are still in the box waiting to be used... now you've got me nervous...

until this set of quantum isotope bearings I just bought, beginning when I got a job in high school, all I've ridden are bones Swiss and this just isn't the normal breaking in period. although I don't skate hard right now, I'm skating enough that they should be screaming. they're sticky, one kinda squeals, and I don't land primo or anything that might break them. it's real weird. reckon I'll holler at bones.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #27832 on: April 20, 2021, 04:22:07 PM »
This is one of the weirdest decks I've cut.

Zmorgf 8.6"x31.5" Double Shovel sample with 14-14.5" wheelbase (I gotta work on the shape more)

Ace AF1 55

Spitfire F4 Radials 99a worn down to ~50mm

Mini Logo bearings

MOB

Assorted hardware

Need to wait for the weather to be better before skating this.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #27833 on: April 20, 2021, 04:43:18 PM »

Zmorgf 8.6"x31.5" Double Shovel sample with 14-14.5" wheelbase (I gotta work on the shape more)

Ace AF1 55

Mini Logo bearings

MOB

Assorted hardware

Nice! Looks like something I've seen Rollersurfer skate!
The chillest1

scrub74

• Rep: 22
« Reply #27834 on: April 20, 2021, 05:41:38 PM »

Polar 8.75x14.38x32.375
Indy 169 cast hollow
F4 54mm 97a
Isotopes
Bender 1" allen
Jessup

Closest I've had to a Christmas complete in a really long time.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 89
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #27835 on: April 20, 2021, 05:53:30 PM »
Thank you!
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #27836 on: April 20, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

anyways, new set up is

35th Ave shop deck 8.5
Real 3 ply risers
Indy 159 hollows
PFC 53mm 101A
[close]

Such a good big board!

[close]
whats the deal with getting replacements if the shields are popped off?

I know a local shop in AU that has the aftermarket shields for all of them, so I would imagine that they still do them (or they are old stock) but I have bought some before when others I know always pop and lose the shields.  Once cleaned and re lubed, as well as shields back on, those swiss are riding well, so it is worth it.

Failing that, there are other shields that fit on easily, and I have used old Reds shields on a few sets in the past.

https://bonesbearings.com/skateboard-accessories/bearing-parts/shields

https://bonesbearings.com/skateboard-accessories/bearing-parts
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #27837 on: April 20, 2021, 07:15:13 PM »

Polar 8.75x14.38x32.375
Indy 169 cast hollow
F4 54mm 97a
Isotopes
Bender 1" allen
Jessup

Closest I've had to a Christmas complete in a really long time.
nice one. How do you like? And this is an older deck you’ve had for a while?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1054
« Reply #27838 on: April 20, 2021, 07:38:39 PM »

Ace AF1 55

Mini Logo bearings

MOB

Assorted hardware

I don’t like it, but I appreciate that you’re doing it

scrub74

• Rep: 22
« Reply #27839 on: April 20, 2021, 08:14:31 PM »
nice one. How do you like? And this is an older deck you’ve had for a while?

I just got it from 35th Ave and I've only rolled around a little but it feels ok.