Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4800245 times)

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27870 on: April 22, 2021, 06:34:38 PM »

I've been trying to size down little by little

Chapman blank, 8.1
Ace AF1 33s
Spit tablets, 52

had about an hour sesh.  trucks feel really good.  very "turny".  not sure if its from sizing down from 44s to 33s or due to the new design, but first impressions of the AF1s are really good.  managed to get a couple slaps; gonna take a minute to work in a nice groove like my 44s (just hit axle on those the other day).  feeling good about the downsize.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Frank and Fred

« Reply #27871 on: April 22, 2021, 07:59:38 PM »

Polar Boz – 8.125" x 32" – 14.25"wb, 7.125" nose, 6.75" tail
Ace Classics 44
Spitfire F4 Classics 53mm 99a
Bones 6-Balls
Shorty's Lil' 7/8" allen bolts
Jessup

Polar Shin Surf – 8.75" x 31.5" – 14.375"wb, 6.25" nose, 6.5" tail
Ace 44 - stage before the Classics (V3?) with slimmer hanger design
OJ Super Juice Mini 55mm 78a
Bronson G3s
1/8 Bones hard risers (fits the Ace baseplate pretty flush)
1.125" old trusshead phillips bolts
Jessup

I haven't skated the Boserio yet, but I've had the Surf for a few weeks and absolutely love it as a slappy/cruiser setup. The tail is considerably steeper than I expected, but feels pretty good when snapping ollies. I just wish the nose was a bit longer, as nollie tricks can feel a little ghost-poppy with the 6.25" nose.

Lucas Pro's from yesteryear. I stocked up pretty heavily on these in 2013 when adidas was phasing them out for the ADV's (yuck) and am down to my last few pairs of the OG's. I will certainly miss them when they are done...

Very tasteful board combo. Shin Surf Shape makes a good crosier.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
  • old and in the way
« Reply #27872 on: April 22, 2021, 08:46:12 PM »
Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Polar 8.38
Thunder 149 team edition with 97DU aftermarket thunder bushings
Spitfire F4 Conical Full 101 54mm
Olympia silver grade bearings
Shake Junt 7/8 allens
Mob

that griptape vert strip is subtle and lovely

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #27873 on: April 22, 2021, 10:45:33 PM »

Ace Classics 44
Bones 6-Balls
Jessup

Bronson G3s
Jessup

I haven't skated the Boserio yet, but I've had the Surf for a few weeks and absolutely love it as a slappy/cruiser setup. The tail is considerably steeper than I expected, but feels pretty good when snapping ollies. I just wish the nose was a bit longer, as nollie tricks can feel a little ghost-poppy with the 6.25" nose.

Lucas Pro's from yesteryear. I stocked up pretty heavily on these in 2013 when adidas was phasing them out for the ADV's (yuck) and am down to my last few pairs of the OG's. I will certainly miss them when they are done...

Nice. How do those OJ Super Juices hold up to slappies for you? I had a set of the black ones (almost translucent) that got pretty chipped up. Wondering if the white ones do better?

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #27874 on: April 23, 2021, 12:35:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace Classics 44
Bones 6-Balls
Jessup

Bronson G3s
Jessup

[close]

Nice. How do those OJ Super Juices hold up to slappies for you? I had a set of the black ones (almost translucent) that got pretty chipped up. Wondering if the white ones do better?

So far i've been pretty lucky with this set of Super Juice and haven't experienced any chipping or chunking on the outer edges. However, I am noticing some small slice/cut marks on the surface area of the wheel and had to extract a 1/4 inch shard of metal from one of them a few days ago.

They are definitely holding up better than the set of Bones Rough Riders I had previously, which chunked up like crazy after one curb session.

The only gripe I have about Super Juice is that they feel a little slow and gummy compared to other soft cruiser wheels.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #27875 on: April 23, 2021, 12:44:02 AM »

Chapman blank, 8.1
Ace AF1 33s
Spit tablets, 52

had about an hour sesh.  trucks feel really good.  very "turny".  not sure if its from sizing down from 44s to 33s or due to the new design, but first impressions of the AF1s are really good.  managed to get a couple slaps; gonna take a minute to work in a nice groove like my 44s (just hit axle on those the other day).  feeling good about the downsize.

Those new 33's look really nice! I'm considering sizing down and getting a pair of those. Glad to hear the positive reviews on the AF1s.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27876 on: April 23, 2021, 07:07:14 AM »

Lucas Pro's from yesteryear.

a top 5 five of all time.  skated my last pair a year or so ago. 

the #NB 212 pro court is the closest thing i've found to the fit/feel (pictured below)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:07:30 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #27877 on: April 23, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »
Native 8.5 14.25 WB (Clutch O shape I believe)
5.8 venture standards w/Krux inverted KP
52mm F4 classics
Bones Swiss
7/8” allen
Plain ole Jessup

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #27878 on: April 23, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »
New deck and wheels! Feels good to have one of those, 8.5 Quasi really are the best boards for me, all time favorite shape.

Quasi 8.5
Indy standard 149
Spitfire classics 99a 52mm
Bones REDS
Jessup

Adidas Tyshawn - My feet hurt after a 2 hour session, probably gonna have to either get insoles or just skate other shoes completely... I walked in them a lot already so they are pretty broken in, just not really comfy for skating I guess.

I was on 56mm (worn down to about 53) Spit 99a Conical fulls prior to that, and I have to say that other than transitions which were a little harder, everything else feels so much easier. Tre flips were easier than ever, crooked grinds were much easier to get out of, my pop was almost effortless, and mannys were easier to balance. (This might be all in my head though...) I was on 54mm classics 99a all of last summer, but my local was out of those when I bought them, so I went with 52. Still prefer 54s tho.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 204
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #27879 on: April 23, 2021, 05:54:28 PM »

Chapman blank, 8.1
Ace AF1 33s
Spit tablets, 52

what pants are ya wearing? also sick setup

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #27880 on: April 23, 2021, 07:09:03 PM »
fucking hell, you all have such beautiful set ups! props to each and every one of yinz. Lemme throw my hat in here

-8.625 Polar with a 14.38 wheelbase, I wanted to be in WBSWB but this is feeling really good after a few kickflips/nollie heels
-Brand spanking new Ace 55, excited to see what's in store. Was riding 149 Ventures prior and basically slappy krooked my way through them
-Spitfire tablets (can't recall exact specs) I meant to switch the front wheels graphic side out so this is a late tw for those with OCD
-Bones Super Reds, these are feeling super nice and lubed up on the new Ace axles
-Jessup
-Shorty's Hardware mostly
-Work slip ons
While I'm here, I'd like to mention that my birthday is a few days away and that my post/rep count is very close to 420/69  ;D (plz kook me)
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

nevrwasben

« Reply #27881 on: April 23, 2021, 07:36:30 PM »
fucking hell, you all have such beautiful set ups! props to each and every one of yinz. Lemme throw my hat in here

-8.625 Polar with a 14.38 wheelbase, I wanted to be in WBSWB but this is feeling really good after a few kickflips/nollie heels
-Brand spanking new Ace 55, excited to see what's in store. Was riding 149 Ventures prior and basically slappy krooked my way through them
-Spitfire tablets (can't recall exact specs) I meant to switch the front wheels graphic side out so this is a late tw for those with OCD
-Bones Super Reds, these are feeling super nice and lubed up on the new Ace axles
-Jessup
-Work slip ons
While I'm here, I'd like to mention that my birthday is a few days away and that my post/rep count is very close to 420/69  ;D (plz kook me)
would gnar jus cuz, if I could

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #27882 on: April 23, 2021, 07:41:52 PM »
Expand Quote

-Jessup
-Work slip ons
[close]
would gnar jus cuz, if I could

I got you fam. Gnarred you as well cause idk why not.

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #27883 on: April 23, 2021, 07:43:04 PM »

-Jessup
-Work slip ons

Gorgeous setup, classic 55s Id assume? Also how are the tablets? Love how they look on aces but have never tried a pair.

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #27884 on: April 23, 2021, 08:14:12 PM »
I love you guys so much! This is a beautiful community full of generous, great-humored, reasonable folks despite what anyone else says!
To the comment above, yea they're the og/basic 55's. I fucking love tablets now, was apprehensive at first with how narrow they are but it doesn't make a difference to me
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #27885 on: April 23, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
New deck and wheels! Feels good to have one of those, 8.5 Quasi really are the best boards for me, all time favorite shape.

Quasi 8.5
Indy standard 149
Bones REDS
Jessup

Adidas Tyshawn - My feet hurt after a 2 hour session, probably gonna have to either get insoles or just skate other shoes completely... I walked in them a lot already so they are pretty broken in, just not really comfy for skating I guess.

I was on 56mm (worn down to about 53) Spit 99a Conical fulls prior to that, and I have to say that other than transitions which were a little harder, everything else feels so much easier. Tre flips were easier than ever, crooked grinds were much easier to get out of, my pop was almost effortless, and mannys were easier to balance. (This might be all in my head though...) I was on 54mm classics 99a all of last summer, but my local was out of those when I bought them, so I went with 52. Still prefer 54s tho.

Just ordered the same board. I have to agree, love that shape and love PS wood. Just switched back to my 52mm classics as well. I got it in my head they made crooks harder, but it had nothing to do with the wheels if I’m being honest haha.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #27886 on: April 23, 2021, 09:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Quasi 8.5
Indy standard 149
Bones REDS
Jessup

[close]

Just ordered the same board. I have to agree, love that shape and love PS wood. Just switched back to my 52mm classics as well. I got it in my head they made crooks harder, but it had nothing to do with the wheels if I’m being honest haha.

Sweet, I hope she treats you well! As for wheels and crooks, I feel like classics are a little easier to pop out while the conicals made it easier to lock in, or at least for me. I'm more comfortable at locking them consistently than getting out of them, others might have a different opinion though, it's mostly personal preference at this point.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2189
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #27887 on: April 24, 2021, 02:05:34 PM »

Smoked a fat 4/20 joint and set this new deck up... needless to say I was in for a rude awakening as soon as I took one push. Stay away from the weed guys, it makes you absent-minded

Polar 8.5 / ricta cloud 92a 56mm / indie 149 / eighth inch indie risers / big balls
Sorry to bring this back up, but DAMN... That must’ve been one helluva doob!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #27888 on: April 25, 2021, 02:39:58 AM »
Victoria 8.38
Venture 5.8
Acid 53mm
Bronson g2
Black half cab pro

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #27889 on: April 25, 2021, 03:57:02 AM »

New complete, last one was maybe 5 years ago.

Antiz Baphomet 8.75, wb 14.5 I believe
ACE 55 AF1 / soft 1/8" risers (more stable than classics indeed : i'll probably skate better with those but it's not as much fun...?)
Spitfire 97a classics 56mm (Sweet formula, switching wheel shape caught me off guard a few times!)
Bones big balls
skateshop bolts/grip/rails

Nice damp fat ride, I have 3 months to learn real backside airs on this before i move to a place where it won't be possible anymore ; wish me luck!  ;D

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27890 on: April 25, 2021, 08:31:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Chapman blank, 8.1
Ace AF1 33s
Spit tablets, 52

[close]

what pants are ya wearing? also sick setup

hey thanks.  they're these carhartt reissues i got off of dungarees.com a while back

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #27891 on: April 25, 2021, 07:47:14 PM »
Black Label Jake Reuter 9” egg white dip
Ace 55 classics with the red baseplate
Spitfire f4 tablets 52mm 99a
Bones big balls
Royal 7/8th Allen
Jessup

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Argyle

« Reply #27892 on: April 26, 2021, 06:08:31 AM »
Pretty close to a Christmas complete.

Killing floor - 8.38
Independent 149 first roll around on these (just switched from thunders) - came without the crosses
SML montano 53mm.
Crockett high or era pro. Another pair of Rowans on the way as loved that shoe.

No idea how to upload a pic so it might be huge (sorry!)

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27893 on: April 26, 2021, 07:40:28 AM »
That looks so nice.  Kinda want to get that whole tarot series for the wall

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #27894 on: April 26, 2021, 08:14:16 AM »

orange crusher 9.1"
169 w/ 92a bushings
56 classic full F4
swiss 6

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #27895 on: April 26, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »

orange crusher 9.1"
169 w/ 92a bushings
56 classic full F4
swiss 6

So nice. Is that new, or have you been holding it for a bit? I want those shaped eagles back.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #27896 on: April 26, 2021, 08:31:11 AM »
it's from last year i only got around to setting it up

Argyle

« Reply #27897 on: April 26, 2021, 11:08:06 AM »

Yeah only had 30 minutes or so on it, but it's a lovely deck. It was between that and the new quasi ply deck, but i always find ps stix start off amazing and then feel weird pretty quick.

Think killing floor is bbs based on markings and sticker, is that right? Feels similar to my old AH Eagle.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 606
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #27898 on: April 26, 2021, 11:20:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah only had 30 minutes or so on it, but it's a lovely deck. It was between that and the new quasi ply deck, but i always find ps stix start off amazing and then feel weird pretty quick.

Think killing floor is bbs based on markings and sticker, is that right? Feels similar to my old AH Eagle.

Yeah The Killing Floor is BBS. Want to get one too soon.
IG: @flowterspace

nevrwasben

« Reply #27899 on: April 26, 2021, 11:05:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah The Killing Floor is BBS. Want to get one too soon.
Backing TKF boards
Good wood/shapes, and some dope graphics too!
On my 3rd in a row.