Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4863785 times)

smg1138 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

biaherl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 271
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30870 on: April 17, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »
^ A wonderful Sunday rider

Two thumbs up

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #30871 on: April 17, 2022, 11:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Just want to shout out the the G033, the other other 8.5.  Its pretty perfect.  That Pennswood is a beaut.
[close]

Who’s gonna do a full video comparison of all crail 8.5 shapes tho
https://crailtap.com/shapes  Craig has already done it for you.  If you click into each individual shape, it describes what sets each one apart.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #30872 on: April 17, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »
I don’t mean to derail the thread but for you guys rocking 8.25 trucks on 8 inch decks, how are you guys liking it? Just picked up an 8” anti hero and debating on setting it up with my 5.6s or getting a new set of trucks.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #30873 on: April 17, 2022, 10:44:21 PM »
I don’t mean to derail the thread but for you guys rocking 8.25 trucks on 8 inch decks, how are you guys liking it? Just picked up an 8” anti hero and debating on setting it up with my 5.6s or getting a new set of trucks.

I do this a lot. The ventures on the 8.06 DLX decks push out the WB kinda far but in terms of sizing, they don't poke out much at all.

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #30874 on: April 18, 2022, 02:19:43 AM »

Magenta Jameel Douglas 8 (steeper shape that most Magentas)
Royal 144s
Loophole Jameel Douglas 54mm square shape w/ Sunday shieldless
Shortys Allen 7/8 lights & Mob

Just like an old Northern Co  8)
Dope! I have prepared the same deck, trucks and wheels for a setup, but first have to finish with the current ones. How do you feel the steeper tail combined with the royals?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #30875 on: April 18, 2022, 04:25:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just want to shout out the the G033, the other other 8.5.  Its pretty perfect.  That Pennswood is a beaut.
[close]

[close]
https://crailtap.com/shapes  Craig has already done it for you.  If you click into each individual shape, it describes what sets each one apart.
The G039 trips me out. 

Width:8.5″Length:31.75″Wheelbase:14.25″Nose:9.9375″Tail:6.7375
I think they fixed the wheelbase bc it originally was 14.75

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #30876 on: April 18, 2022, 05:04:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
The G039 trips me out. 

Damn does it have almost a 10” nose?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30877 on: April 18, 2022, 05:05:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
The G039 trips me out. 

[close]

That is what I'm saying!! I know Cory got used to the Huffer and on the guide it says he and Raven ride this.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1131
« Reply #30878 on: April 18, 2022, 05:20:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
The G039 trips me out. 

[close]

[close]
That is what I'm saying!! I know Cory got used to the Huffer and on the guide it says he and Raven ride this.

Pretty sure the nose is supposed to be 6.9 ish. My guess is that the G039 is a navy blue eagle. Cory was on that more recently than the huffer, if I remember right, and Raven had at least a clip on one as well.

Side note* Is the eagle the industry standard? If someone is super good and between being sponced, the eagle comes out. Been like that for a minute. More hero than anti, eh?

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #30879 on: April 18, 2022, 05:32:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
The G039 trips me out. 

[close]

that has to be a typo, even though it appears twice! I believe this was the Rick Howard/Marc Johnson 8.5 shape in the 20teens and I rode it more than a few times. Def did not have THAT big of a nose.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30880 on: April 18, 2022, 05:41:30 AM »
I’ve ridden the green eagle the 8.38 and it has perfect dimensions and I’ve seen Cyrus ride that one as well. The navy 8.5 with 14.25 wb again has perfect dimensions.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30881 on: April 18, 2022, 07:26:48 AM »
In my experience all the DLX shapes work very well dimension wise. I’ve had and liked the 8.25, 8.38, 8.4, and 8.5 some more than others but I could skate any of them fine. Probably why so many people jump on them between sponsors or when they can’t get a deck. They all feel a bit smaller than their dimensions indicate and are pretty medium in concave and steepness and work fine with almost any truck combo.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30882 on: April 18, 2022, 08:21:03 AM »
I just don’t get the 8.06. An 8 with a 14.38 wb is weird.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30883 on: April 18, 2022, 08:33:21 AM »
I’m 6 foot 3 with a size 9.5 foot the 8.06 could be my tech lord setup.

manysnakes

« Reply #30884 on: April 18, 2022, 08:46:15 AM »
I was recently watching CK skate in person and he was definitely just skating a straight-up popsicle. Apropos of nothing, but Simon Bannerot was also there, and he skates that Loveseat shape like it's a 7.75".

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30885 on: April 18, 2022, 10:02:40 AM »
I was recently watching CK skate in person and he was definitely just skating a straight-up popsicle. Apropos of nothing, but Simon Bannerot was also there, and he skates that Loveseat shape like it's a 7.75".

Nah this the information that I do need. Apropos of shit I do like.

The narrower board, with the proportionally longer wb, sounds great (re: 8.06x14.38=tech lord). I thought longer wb fucked me up, and that everything needed to be as short as possible, I was wrong.

Occasionally I have the suspicion that width is the least important skateboard measurement. But that’s not valid. There is for sure an important relationship between the truck size and the width of the board. The setup I’m all hyped on now sports a tail measurement that would traditionally come on a small board, much like what I spent the youth riding. So maybe that’s a more important piece of information, certainly more important than I’ve treated tail length before (haven’t thought of it).
Again, all I know is that I don’t.

danmasontree

• Rep: 16
« Reply #30886 on: April 18, 2022, 11:01:05 AM »
Stopped looking for WKND boards during the whole Johan situation, but Tom K and Jordan Taylor etc. have really got me in love with them again.

WKND Tom K 8.25 (CT shape with 14" wb)
Thunder 149
1/8 Risers
54mm SML Mike Arnold wheels
Bones

How do you feel about the SML wheels? Been thinking about trying something different

Argyle

• Rep: 40
« Reply #30887 on: April 18, 2022, 11:44:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Stopped looking for WKND boards during the whole Johan situation, but Tom K and Jordan Taylor etc. have really got me in love with them again.

WKND Tom K 8.25 (CT shape with 14" wb)
Thunder 149
1/8 Risers
54mm SML Mike Arnold wheels
Bones

[close]

How do you feel about the SML wheels? Been thinking about trying something different

They don't slide like an f4 (the ag formula i think these are) but they've been solid, especially for the price you can pick them up for.

These are really wide (wanted a nice wide 99a wheel) but had a couple of the classic shape SMLs beforehand and they've all served me well

manysnakes

« Reply #30888 on: April 18, 2022, 12:44:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The narrower board, with the proportionally longer wb, sounds great (re: 8.06x14.38=tech lord). I thought longer wb fucked me up, and that everything needed to be as short as possible, I was wrong.

Occasionally I have the suspicion that width is the least important skateboard measurement. But that’s not valid. There is for sure an important relationship between the truck size and the width of the board. The setup I’m all hyped on now sports a tail measurement that would traditionally come on a small board, much like what I spent the youth riding. So maybe that’s a more important piece of information, certainly more important than I’ve treated tail length before (haven’t thought of it).

They you might also be interested to know that Cory is skating Ace trucks right now.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30889 on: April 18, 2022, 02:02:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They you might also be interested to know that Cory is skating Ace trucks right now.

Insert that Daffy Duck gif….

Sooooo which ace? Af-1 55s?
He skating that Girl 8.5? (Kinda hard to tell I suppose)
If it’s not completely obvious, I’d be staring too hard at people’s setups, good enough reason to skate alone.
I’ll admit to running up the views on that last crailtap video with Cory. Like too many viewings.
Pretty wild to consider how much quality skating, for himself, Cory has in front of him. Hopefully I get to see some of it.

biaherl

« Reply #30890 on: April 18, 2022, 04:07:22 PM »
Woke up Saturday, March 26 with vertigo and the world hasn't stoped spinning since. It's getting better but I haven't really skated in 4 weeks so me thinks I'm going mad

I threw some boards together, maybe I'll get to skate them one day

I stared this build of with the wheels first, been trying to get small wheels for a while but they sell out quick. I thought it would be funny to put them on some wide trucks so it gave me a reason to buy 77's. Took a while to find a board that fit, I started this build before I woke up with vertigo
Herron Dave Adlington
AF1 77's
Snot 45's
Bronson Raws
Mob, Jessup and Blind grip

This build started with the wheels too, I bought them for a different build a year ago but they didn't work out. I bought the trucks by accident or I thought they would be the right size. Then it came to me, I wanted to get this board the first time I saw it but had no reason, the wheels and trucks gave it to me. Now I have a new coffee getter for when Caffein & Green opens up in my neighborhood https://caffeineandgreenroasting.com
Uma Evan
Edit: Ace Classic 22's
Oj Juice 70mm
Bronson Raw
1/4" risers
Jessup and Enjoi

I used to work with Zarosh at the company that used to make or sell these wheels. I was in sales he was in the warehouse griping and shipping, we skated on our lunch breaks. He would skate to work and on rainy days he would ride these behemoths. I found a dirt trail by my house to skate and I also like to support the homies https://thesellerdoor.com/shops/the-platipus-skateboards-print-shop/  https://www.platipusskateboards.com
Platypus Gs5 Coffee Break
Edit: AF1 55's
XT Of Road wheels
Cheap Indy bearings
Of road kit
Bird lapper for fun
Mob, Jessup and Vicious grip

Like I said before I haven't skated these and I don't know when I can. Hopefully in a month

Have fun buildin' y'all
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:22:02 AM by biaherl »

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #30891 on: April 19, 2022, 04:46:26 AM »
all these are so dope

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30892 on: April 19, 2022, 06:51:01 AM »
I had those wheels on a blue Toy Machibe fist deck growing up. I lived in a ranch and made a gnarly downhill course for it before realizing how fucking terrifying it would be to do so I strapped on a dirt bike helmet and proceeded to break my wrist.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30893 on: April 19, 2022, 07:27:16 AM »
Platypus setup is too dope.
I am sorry you are experiencing vertigo!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #30894 on: April 19, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »
Woke up Saturday, March 26 with vertigo and the world hasn't stoped spinning since. It's getting better but I haven't really skated in 4 weeks so me thinks I'm going mad

I threw some boards together, maybe I'll get to skate them one day

I stared this build of with the wheels first, been trying to get small wheels for a while but they sell out quick. I thought it would be funny to put them on some wide trucks so it gave me a reason to buy 77's. Took a while to find a board that fit, I started this build before I woke up with vertigo
Herron Dave Adlington
AF1 77's
Snot 45's
Bronson Raws
Mob, Jessup and Blind grip

This build started with the wheels too, I bought them for a different build a year ago but they didn't work out. I bought the trucks by accident or I thought they would be the right size. Then it came to me, I wanted to get this board the first time I saw it but had no reason, the wheels and trucks gave it to me. Now I have a new coffee getter for when Caffein & Green opens up in my neighborhood https://caffeineandgreenroasting.com
Uma Evan
Oj Juice 70mm
Bronson Raw
1/4" risers
Jessup and Enjoi

I used to work with Zarosh at the company that used to make or sell these wheels. I was in sales he was in the warehouse griping and shipping, we skated on our lunch breaks. He would skate to work and on rainy days he would ride these behemoths. I found a dirt trail by my house to skate and I also like to support the homies https://thesellerdoor.com/shops/the-platipus-skateboards-print-shop/  https://www.platipusskateboards.com
Platypus Gs5 Coffee Break
XT Of Road wheels
Cheap Indy bearings
Of road kit
Bird lapper for fun
Mob, Jessup and Vicious grip

Like I said before I haven't skated these and I don't know when I can. Hopefully in a month

Have fun buildin' y'all

First of all, all those setups are beautiful. I really like the grip job on the first. And the offroad wheels look awesome.

Vertigo.. I had that shit last year too. Lasted around 6 weeks and I thought 3 times my end is near (I am a bit sensible). Went to every fucking doctor I knew. Eyes were fine, ears were fine, X-Ray from my head, also fine.
5 weeks passed by and I still felt like shit.

Then I went to a orthopedist. She looked at me, said like "yo, does you back and neck hurt?" Yeah, sure.

I tweaked some important nerve in my lower back that caused back and neck pain which was the cause for the vertigo. She put the nerve back in the correct position and it felt instantly better.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully being back on your boards soon. Keep your head up and PMA. <3
IG: @flowterspace

biaherl

« Reply #30895 on: April 19, 2022, 09:32:26 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Had to add an edit to my post because I forgot to add my trucks Ace 22's and AF1 55's

I had those wheels on a blue Toy Machibe fist deck growing up. I lived in a ranch and made a gnarly downhill course for it before realizing how fucking terrifying it would be to do so I strapped on a dirt bike helmet and proceeded to break my wrist.

I was just about to go build a dirt kicker haha. Guess I'll need to get the whole motocross kit before my first attempt

First of all, all those setups are beautiful. I really like the grip job on the first. And the offroad wheels look awesome.

Vertigo.. I had that shit last year too. Lasted around 6 weeks and I thought 3 times my end is near (I am a bit sensible). Went to every fucking doctor I knew. Eyes were fine, ears were fine, X-Ray from my head, also fine.

Then I went to a orthopedist. She looked at me, said like "yo, does you back and neck hurt?" Yeah, sure.

I tweaked some important nerve in my lower back that caused back and neck pain which was the cause for the vertigo. She put the nerve back in the correct position and it felt instantly better.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully being back on your boards soon. Keep your head up and PMA. <3

Thanks @fs1/2cab I see my Dr. again on Thursday and have PT on Friday, I'll ask around. I'm guessing it was a Vagus nerve reset but what do I know

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #30896 on: April 19, 2022, 12:43:30 PM »

Had to add an edit to my post because I forgot to add my trucks Ace 22's and AF1 55's

Expand Quote
[close]

I was just about to go build a dirt kicker haha. Guess I'll need to get the whole motocross kit before my first attempt

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks @fs1/2cab I see my Dr. again on Thursday and have PT on Friday, I'll ask around. I'm guessing it was a Vagus nerve reset but what do I know

Dude have you checked if it is positional vertigo? My wife had it, it freaked her out but turns out you can treat it with a few simple exercises.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

biaherl

« Reply #30897 on: April 20, 2022, 10:54:09 AM »
Dude have you checked if it is positional vertigo? My wife had it, it freaked her out but turns out you can treat it with a few simple exercises.

Thanks @Easy Slider I wish it was that but it's most likely from a virus. I still do a couple vertigo exercises like Epley and whatever the other ones are called, helps a little. I go to Physical Therapy on Friday, they have a special chair that puts you in the perfect position for those exercises so we'll see

I'm going to the park today before work to hang with some friends. If I look straight ahead I can push around for a bit before it becomes too much and have to lay down. I can't stop skating it would kill me

Thanks again everyone

manysnakes

« Reply #30898 on: April 20, 2022, 11:19:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks @Easy Slider I wish it was that but it's most likely from a virus. I still do a couple vertigo exercises like Epley and whatever the other ones are called, helps a little. I go to Physical Therapy on Friday, they have a special chair that puts you in the perfect position for those exercises so we'll see

I'm going to the park today before work to hang with some friends. If I look straight ahead I can push around for a bit before it becomes too much and have to lay down. I can't stop skating it would kill me

Thanks again everyone

My mom suffers from Ménière’s disease, has for decades. It got bad enough that she just had her left eardrum removed in order to keep herself balanced. My brother suffers now from vertigo too, probably the same thing. In any event, one thing that they recommend that has really worked for her a for a friend’s father who also suffers is an extremely low sodium diet. It’s not even a permanent thing, just something to try during periods when the vertigo is acting up.

Best of luck. I know how bad this shit can be. 

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #30899 on: April 21, 2022, 10:02:33 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Yo @biaherl mate, it is thursday. What did your doctor say?
Any good news?
IG: @flowterspace