Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4845623 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #33330 on: April 17, 2023, 03:24:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 8.5 (Hjalte)
Indy 149ti (w/ cast/hollow KP baseplate, aftemarket Indy conical bushings, riptide)
SF F4 54mm Radial 99a
Swiss
[close]

Good looking setup as usual, did those Radials start out at 54mm or they worn down a fair bit? Could be the angle but they look skinnier than I imagined.
[close]

They look great tbh.
Conical fulls are ok by me, at 52, but bigger than that is silly, for me.
[close]

@ok , yea, my sweet spot for any wide wheels (not classics) is right in that 52-53mm range.  I'm fine with 54mm too though.  as @Mbrimson88 always says, the conical fulls get pretty gnarly once you get to 56mm.  the radial full 56mm are bonkers, but I have a set on a cruiser and they are a blast to roll around (but it takes some herculean effort to get em off the ground).

i'd love to see a set of 52mm radial full someday

Could not agree with you more.

The only conical fulls I’ve ever really stuck with are 52s. I feel like a rounded shape flips better.
52 radial fulls would be a lot of fun.

I like the way classics feel for most stuff, but I don’t really ride the bigger sizes so cruddy ground is a bummer.

fur lined sea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #33331 on: April 18, 2023, 04:47:23 AM »

I need to stick to this shape/size from BBS, damn near perfect.

8.125 Magenta with a couple of Ben Raemers Foundation stickers
Royal 144s
54 Loopholes

RIP Ben Raemers

Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33332 on: April 18, 2023, 03:57:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Polar 8.5 (Hjalte)
Indy 149ti (w/ cast/hollow KP baseplate, aftemarket Indy conical bushings, riptide)
SF F4 54mm Radial 99a
Swiss
[close]

Good looking setup as usual, did those Radials start out at 54mm or they worn down a fair bit? Could be the angle but they look skinnier than I imagined.
[close]

They look great tbh.
Conical fulls are ok by me, at 52, but bigger than that is silly, for me.
[close]

@ok , yea, my sweet spot for any wide wheels (not classics) is right in that 52-53mm range.  I'm fine with 54mm too though.  as @Mbrimson88 always says, the conical fulls get pretty gnarly once you get to 56mm.  the radial full 56mm are bonkers, but I have a set on a cruiser and they are a blast to roll around (but it takes some herculean effort to get em off the ground).

i'd love to see a set of 52mm radial full someday

I wonder how much more they would scale down, eg 52mm diameter and maybe 35 to 36mm width.

When the other bigger wheels wear down to about that size, they look pretty funny, but after I round off the edges, they are lots of fun.

Should take a pic or two of a few sets that are those dimensions anyway.

Also is that Polar 8.5 board a 14.5 or 14.38 wb?  I know there has often been a few of each in the past.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33333 on: April 18, 2023, 06:09:21 PM »
Hoping this is the last skate purchase for a good while.

Creature x Santa Cruz Erick Winkowski Saints and Sinners Dope Planet 10.3" x 30.54" with 15" wheelbase
Independent Stage 4 166
Dogtown K9 80s Wheels 60mm 99a
Bones Swiss 6
1" hardware
MOB
Real 1/8" wooden riser pads
Powell Rib Bones (absolutely pain to put on due to the shape of the concave and I regret doing so, but whatever)

Definitely want to use this as a dedicated park board but it's fun on curbs and flat so far

coexist3

• Rep: 61
« Reply #33334 on: April 18, 2023, 07:15:45 PM »

habitat 8.0
venture 5.0lows
spitfire 50mm

backside nose grind pop out

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1659
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #33335 on: April 18, 2023, 07:36:45 PM »
I can hear the bushings screaming in agony...
I think I'm going to be sick

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #33336 on: April 18, 2023, 07:49:18 PM »

habitat 8.0
venture 5.0lows
spitfire 50mm

Follow up with a Nollie BS Heel, clips or GTFO
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #33337 on: April 18, 2023, 08:31:35 PM »
Expand Quote

habitat 8.0
venture 5.0lows
spitfire 50mm

[close]
Follow up with a Nollie BS Heel, clips or GTFO

@rocklobster is very correct

Setup looks sweet, and I’m enjoying seeing people skate the busenitz again

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 146
« Reply #33338 on: April 18, 2023, 08:40:41 PM »

Dear Skating X Black Label forgot the size and dims.
Forgot the grip but probably jessup. It spent 4 or 5 summers in my garage in fucking hot weather. Still feels solid.
Thunder 161s stock.
58mm Spitfire F1 park formula with swiss 6.
F1 park formula was F4s big brother. They slide good and are fast as fuck. Have not flatspotted them after 10 or more years of using them on and off.

Skating in Timbs since my left fat toe is fucked up. Protection plus it fits my wrapped up toe. 8)

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 68
« Reply #33339 on: April 18, 2023, 09:17:29 PM »
After skating an 8" for years I decided to size up so I went for my first Christmas complete in years.

Sour 8.18 x 31.92 x S2 14.2 WB (anyone know what S2 means? This is my first Sour deck)
Krux K5 8.25 Downlows (ready to be flamed, I've rode them since I was a kid and every time I try another brand it doesn't feel right)
Powell Dragons 54mm (really stoked on them so far)
Bones Reds
Mob (just moved from Toronto to NYC and feeling a little homesick so I put a 35mm photo of the CN tower I shot in the grip, I'm ass at gripping I know)

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #33340 on: April 18, 2023, 09:24:51 PM »
After skating an 8" for years I decided to size up so I went for my first Christmas complete in years.

Sour 8.18 x 31.92 x S2 14.2 WB (anyone know what S2 means? This is my first Sour deck)
Krux K5 8.25 Downlows (ready to be flamed, I've rode them since I was a kid and every time I try another brand it doesn't feel right)
Bones Reds
Mob (just moved from Toronto to NYC and feeling a little homesick so I put a 35mm photo of the CN tower I shot in the grip, I'm ass at gripping I know)

It’s the shape. Never skated a sour deck so I couldn’t tell you the difference between shapes but that’s what it means.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #33341 on: April 18, 2023, 09:28:17 PM »

Bones Reds

I doubt anyone here would flame you for riding your preferred truck. Hey, Ryan Lay skates them and he’s much better than anyone here.

Hope she treats you well!

GauchoAmigo

« Reply #33342 on: April 18, 2023, 10:27:43 PM »
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
[close]

It’s the shape. Never skated a sour deck so I couldn’t tell you the difference between shapes but that’s what it means.

Makes sense, thanks. Shape is on the mellow side and medium sized nose which I like. I want to try a shorter wheelbase and shorter length board next though since I'm not tall. Those girl 8.25 boards with 14 wb look sweet but I've heard rumours of Crail selling shittier wood than most brands? Is this just an urban myth or what, anyone know?

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #33343 on: April 18, 2023, 11:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
[close]

[close]

Makes sense, thanks. Shape is on the mellow side and medium sized nose which I like. I want to try a shorter wheelbase and shorter length board next though since I'm not tall. Those girl 8.25 boards with 14 wb look sweet but I've heard rumours of Crail selling shittier wood than most brands? Is this just an urban myth or what, anyone know?

Top sticker = probably (definitely? Maybe?) PS Stix, the rest of their boards use Chinese wood. Haven’t skated a Crail deck in a while so I couldn’t tell you if the wood is bad or good personally, but I have friends who like them.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #33344 on: April 19, 2023, 01:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
[close]

[close]

[close]

Top sticker = probably (definitely? Maybe?) PS Stix, the rest of their boards use Chinese wood. Haven’t skated a Crail deck in a while so I couldn’t tell you if the wood is bad or good personally, but I have friends who like them.

shitty wood used to be a thing with crail but in the last few years they switched it up and the boards are pretty good

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #33345 on: April 19, 2023, 03:57:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

shitty wood used to be a thing with crail but in the last few years they switched it up and the boards are pretty good
Yeah the last crail board I skated was actually really good.

Coldcut

• Rep: 34
« Reply #33346 on: April 19, 2023, 07:44:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
[close]

[close]

[close]

SOUR is made by HLC in Spain.
If i remember correctly, Baker Distribution, was getting them under thier  umbrella. So in the US, SOUR Boards could be BBS made.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #33347 on: April 19, 2023, 08:03:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Reds
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

SOUR is made by HLC in Spain.
If i remember correctly, Baker Distribution, was getting them under thier  umbrella. So in the US, SOUR Boards could be BBS made.

hlc has either two or three molds - low, medium and high iirc. i've seen all of those in the past but i'm not sure if they are still making the low concave boards. the mold is problably what the S2 references. the 14.2 wheelbase makes it sound like it's from jart since all of their boards have this wheelbase, they always mark it as 14.2 and not 14.25.

sbr

• Rep: 131
« Reply #33348 on: April 19, 2023, 10:01:47 AM »

Just set this up for my son as an early birthday gift 8)
  • Krooked True Fit 8.38"x31.75" w/ 14" wb
  • Ace AF1 Hollow 55's
  • Exodus 1" Allen/Phillips hardware
  • Ace 1/8" risers
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire F4 Classic 99a 56's
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #33349 on: April 19, 2023, 01:50:02 PM »

hlc has either two or three molds - low, medium and high iirc. i've seen all of those in the past but i'm not sure if they are still making the low concave boards. the mold is problably what the S2 references. the 14.2 wheelbase makes it sound like it's from jart since all of their boards have this wheelbase, they always mark it as 14.2 and not 14.25.
Hlc does custom shapes for the us brands, not the standard jart shapes that are the same as their shop boards. From what I heard they took their shapes from what Sk8mafia was already doing.

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #33350 on: April 19, 2023, 06:30:24 PM »

Alien workshop 7.4x31.25 13.88 wb
Jessup griptape
Shortys 7/8 Allen key
Venture low 5.0  bushing kit mod
Spitfire 46mm ish
Big ball bearings

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #33351 on: April 19, 2023, 07:48:37 PM »
Kinda hurt so picked up a shaped board to fuck around so that I'm not tempted to jump (and bail) as much as if I looked down and saw a popsicle. One sesh in its really fun and surprisingly functional

Polar Surf Jr 8.75
Indy 149 titaniums, blue indy bushings
54mm Powell Dragon 93as, experimental batch
Swiss

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #33352 on: April 19, 2023, 09:35:54 PM »

Alien workshop 7.4x31.25 13.88 wb
Jessup griptape
Shortys 7/8 Allen key
Venture low 5.0  bushing kit mod
Spitfire 46mm ish
Big ball bearings

7.4?!

Now we're looking through the other end of the telescope my friends
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:47:18 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

macosta55

• Rep: 1
« Reply #33353 on: April 20, 2023, 09:03:46 AM »
8.0 inch Powell-Peralta x Metallica Flight Deck (Mob Grip)
Venture Lo's
Bones Street Formula (53)
Bones Reds
Independent Hardware

manysnakes

« Reply #33354 on: April 20, 2023, 09:15:05 AM »
8.0 inch Powell-Peralta x Metallica Flight Deck (Mob Grip)

YESSSS

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #33355 on: April 20, 2023, 09:33:52 PM »

Blue tile lounge 8.5
Venture v lights 5.8
Spitfire f4s 54mm (can’t remember the shape)

GauchoAmigo

« Reply #33356 on: April 20, 2023, 10:09:27 PM »
Fuck yea BTL shop deck, love to see it

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #33357 on: April 21, 2023, 04:00:43 AM »

Polar Surf Jr 8.75
Indy 149 titaniums, blue indy bushings
54mm Powell Dragon 93as, experimental batch
Swiss

Beauty. I just bought 56mm dragons to set up with an old Surf Jr.  Neighborhood cruiser with the kids. Super fun and visually appealing shape.  I’m excited to have it set back up.

5.8s, cut down Ace top
Bearings and hardware are random odds and ends

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1197
« Reply #33358 on: April 21, 2023, 07:30:22 AM »
rad Library sticker, one of my fav shops/shop logos
hardly art, hardly starving

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 100
« Reply #33359 on: April 21, 2023, 11:51:38 AM »
rad Library sticker, one of my fav shops/shop logos

Library rules whenever I’m in that area I try to save up to buy gear. Not a fan of my local so I make the drive out to Library and the garden to buy stuff