Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4860898 times)

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #33750 on: June 15, 2023, 02:55:44 PM »

Caught a screw at the park and chipped the living hell out of the previous love seat… only 2 sessions in… bummer
Really liked the shape so gonna run it again.
Didn’t like the 56mm 101 spits
So I swapped them for some 54mm Mike Arnold SML V-cuts
Gotta skate a girl deck with Lakais, I can’t help it.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #33751 on: June 15, 2023, 04:06:06 PM »

Caught a screw at the park and chipped the living hell out of the previous love seat… only 2 sessions in… bummer

I don’t usually drool over this shit but those shoes with that deck. Perfection.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33752 on: June 15, 2023, 08:42:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t usually drool over this shit but those shoes with that deck. Perfection.
With your namesake, it only makes sense. Thank you! Very hyped on this set up.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
  • the moon rules
« Reply #33753 on: June 15, 2023, 09:26:37 PM »
Must’ve not had enough nanotubes or something

WKND 8.25 w/redrilled 13.9ish wheelbase. Kind of a really steep nose
fuck you bama

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #33754 on: June 15, 2023, 10:29:14 PM »

i've been meaning to grab a WKND deck. Steep noses are right up my alley. Is that the standard 8.25 or the 8.25 VA shape?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #33755 on: June 15, 2023, 10:43:27 PM »
I’m not 100% sure. It might be the CS shape? It has a kind of squareish tail. The broken one was a VA shape and had a more mellow nose
fuck you bama

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #33756 on: June 16, 2023, 03:44:14 AM »

How are you enjoying the Lakai’s?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33757 on: June 16, 2023, 04:50:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How are you enjoying the Lakai’s?
I like them, I have a couple of pairs I alternate through depending on what I’m skating and they work well.

vktrvghn

• Rep: 37
« Reply #33758 on: June 16, 2023, 04:58:17 AM »

Been a while since I posted my setup

Antihero 8.5
Indy 149 with Bones Medium
Spitfire F4 Classic 53mm
Bones Swiss

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #33759 on: June 16, 2023, 05:26:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

There 8.5 x 31.4 and 13.75wb
Thunder 149 with bones hardcore mediums
F4 Radial Full 97d 54mm
Swiss 6
[close]

nice hokas
[close]
by nice you mean gross shoes (prev stayed by @smellsdead) right. That doorway, puckered upper, yikes! At least he tor with goretex or something

comfy plush shoes, comparable to Altra..the Mafate Evo Speed 2 is still my favorite..

TerrorizedCivilian

• Rep: 18
« Reply #33760 on: June 16, 2023, 01:23:55 PM »
Giving Ps another try after disliking and breaking my last wknd one quickly.

8.25 Rassvet
Ace af1 44 no top washer
57mm Spitfire
Bronson G3s
Film risers

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
« Reply #33761 on: June 16, 2023, 05:27:10 PM »

i hate a steep nose.
i do love nanotubes (ps), and i’ll keep saying this: his boards can be so shit, or the shit. f’n coin flip. i guess i enjoy boards more, that feel like i might break them, but hopefully do not. i’ll never be butch enough to break a bbs board, but i really wish some of mine would break.
how’s the re-drilling going? 360 flips better? my true fit is great for my dusty-ass tre’s, and i attribute that to short wb. kickflips are easier as well, again short wb, but maybe less good looking, and mine have never been pleasing to the eye.

@GBLange ive got altra’s and i would never let someone take a pic of me. they look insane. like a hobbit at a track meet. maybe the most comfortable toe box.

whenever someone posts a setup with thunder 161s, i like it

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #33762 on: June 16, 2023, 08:52:09 PM »
I’ve broken bbs boards on my first trick of their first day. Sometimes shit just happens. I always prefer a bbs board to a ps board, but sometimes a ps board can be good too. The wood itself comes from the same suppliers allegedly, but it’s the molds, glue, and construction that make each one representative of their woodshop

I think that I just like a smaller wheelbase. I have a short inseam, so it makes sense in my mind. I used to wonder why I’d whiff certain tricks on some boards and not others. Now that I’m consistently skating a shorter WB my flip tricks are feeling like I’m back in my early 20’s peak. I’m also convinced that it helps turn through bowl corners better. That’s my personal preference at least

If you get the Chems tool go 3/8” shorter/wider instead of 1/4”. If you only redrill by 1/4” the holes will barely be separated and it’s easy to accidentally make one big oblong hole
fuck you bama

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33763 on: June 16, 2023, 09:08:58 PM »
I’ve broken bbs boards on my first trick of their first day. Sometimes shit just happens. I always prefer a bbs board to a ps board, but sometimes a ps board can be good too. The wood itself comes from the same suppliers allegedly, but it’s the molds, glue, and construction that make each one representative of their woodshop

I think that I just like a smaller wheelbase. I have a short inseam, so it makes sense in my mind. I used to wonder why I’d whiff certain tricks on some boards and not others. Now that I’m consistently skating a shorter WB my flip tricks are feeling like I’m back in my early 20’s peak. I’m also convinced that it helps turn through bowl corners better. That’s my personal preference at least

If you get the Chems tool go 3/8” shorter/wider instead of 1/4”. If you only redrill by 1/4” the holes will barely be separated and it’s easy to accidentally make one big oblong hole

thanks for the advice

some could say peak Julien (all of it is peak) and Cardiel, were allegedly on sub 14” wbs, with aces. pretty turny. atchley used to run a real short setup, i think for the carving. it makes total sense.

TheOnlyCrust

• Rep: 3
« Reply #33764 on: June 18, 2023, 03:24:47 AM »

My daily driver and big boy Christmas complete.

8.28 Krooked
Venture 5.6
F4 Classics 99a 54mm
Bones Reds
Modus Hardware
Mob

9.25 Chocolate Couch Shape
Royal 159
F4 Radial Full 97a 56mm
Bones Big Balls
Indy Hardware
Mob

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #33765 on: June 18, 2023, 07:22:09 AM »

8.25 Quasi
5.8 Venture Cast 97du supercush
54 99du Spitfire CF
Bronze
Pepper
Bones Big Balls

Converse Cons Fastbreaks

EDIT: This might be my Goldilocks set up. Set it up for my first Father’s Day and the session was 🤌🤌
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 05:30:11 AM by Big Baby Jesus »
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

cky enthusiast

« Reply #33766 on: June 18, 2023, 08:43:43 AM »

novo (?!) 8.5 (some maple blank w/ a single screen on it, i traded an SC jeff kendall for this and a bag of weed, seems fine enuff)

indy 144 w/ real 3ply risers
spitfire f4 eternal 58mm 99a

havent been able to skate since october. been pushing around on this til my leg gets strong enough for flatground and then back to the usual hopefully soon

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33767 on: June 18, 2023, 11:54:08 AM »

Black Label Elijah Akerley "MATCH CO." 8.5" x 32.38″ with 14.5” wheelbase
Independent Stage 11 149
Bones Swiss 6
Bones X-Formula 56mm 97a
MOB
1" hardware

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #33768 on: June 18, 2023, 08:00:21 PM »

Element shape 9 775 31.25 14wb
Black magic griptape
Bronze 7/8 Allen
Venture low 5.0
Spitfire F4 classics 48 99
Bones reds

LebowskisRug

« Reply #33769 on: June 18, 2023, 08:31:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for the advice

some could say peak Julien (all of it is peak) and Cardiel, were allegedly on sub 14” wbs, with aces. pretty turny. atchley used to run a real short setup, i think for the carving. it makes total sense.

Aces didn't exist during their peaks and Anti Hero boards were always bigger/longer.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #33770 on: June 18, 2023, 09:39:08 PM »
I think it was a reference to them skating Indy stage 3’s. Cardiel also skated Venture featherlights in the 90’s. Before the injury his board size was like a 7.5 and Julien’s was a 7.75 before sizing up to a short 8.1

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wanna hear more of this Cardiel on 7.5/Julien 7.75 talk.
[close]

Yeah, this one, it's true. Its all too old at this point for me to look up info, but I remember reading an article/interview with Cards (not in a buyers guide, I feel like it was a small zine, Concussion or something) talking about loving 7.5s and Indy 129s. I asked Jim if it was true and he said it was. All the pictures of cardiel in that era skating, you can tell the board is small and the trucks are loose. Just wild. Julien I think always rode his stock 7.75" boards. One of which, I broke my ankle on in 2001.

I mean, all of my knowledge of this dates back over 15 years, but it's accurate, just can't recall the exact sources.
[close]

I know when Ace started, Julien rode the 22 trucks (7.6" axle) so that makes sense. I think he usually rides stock boards cause some years later (maybe 07-08ish+) he always rode the 7.875 graphics, then around 2010-2011 and forward he only rode graphics with that short 8.12" shape and Ace 33's. The years are somewhat of a rough estimate, do what you want with that information.

I have some of those buyers guide mags, I could take some photos if there's any interest in specific riders or years. Most riders say another size than whats on their graphics so I feel like they're somewhat reliable...
[close]

Thanks! Both of you came thru. That’s tight.
Wild to think of Cardiel doing that shit on 7.5s....7.75/7.875 etc is a very functional, ‘normal’ size imo. 7.5s require dedication, they’ll work rad, but you gotta be on point and consistent with your setup. 22s!! Those things....never had any, but I had several sets of the first gen 33s and those were fairly wild, and 129s although a go to way back when, seem kinda nuts: just high, narrow, twitchy. That 8.12 shape Julien’s graphics used to be on was the shit.
Thanks for bringing the details on the actual legends. Love that shit
[close]

No prob at all. It was a wild time in skating.

Since he's so popular here, Cancer Dan always rode Krooked in 8.125+. Pretty much the same as the sizes/shapes of his pro models.

It was the same as the 8.125 AH eagle. I rode a lot of those.
fuck you bama

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33771 on: June 18, 2023, 10:02:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for the advice

[close]

Aces didn't exist during their peaks and Anti Hero boards were always bigger/longer.

tom is correct, with what i was trying to remember/say.

i’m incorrect to say that post 2007 is peak Julien Stranger, but i’m a fan so all of it is amazing. there is an old anti hero ad someone shared that is, i think, a corner pocket frontside air and julien’s board and trucks were tiny.
cardiel was skating small/narrow stuff, according to friends that skated with them at burnside a time or two. they all came back skating these narrow boards that they had previously clowned on me for skating. this is all very early 2000s.
there were some skinny anti-hero’s when they first came out. i’m sure i was into something not nearly as cool, but i rarely had an anti hero in those days. couldn’t even back d, didn’t feel correct.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1052
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33772 on: June 19, 2023, 04:34:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for the advice

[close]

[close]

tom is correct, with what i was trying to remember/say.

i’m incorrect to say that post 2007 is peak Julien Stranger, but i’m a fan so all of it is amazing. there is an old anti hero ad someone shared that is, i think, a corner pocket frontside air and julien’s board and trucks were tiny.
cardiel was skating small/narrow stuff, according to friends that skated with them at burnside a time or two. they all came back skating these narrow boards that they had previously clowned on me for skating. this is all very early 2000s.
there were some skinny anti-hero’s when they first came out. i’m sure i was into something not nearly as cool, but i rarely had an anti hero in those days. couldn’t even back d, didn’t feel correct.

Looking back over old shop catalogs from DLX, all boards were well under 8 for the most part, with only a few boards over 8" back then, with only more recent years everything going substantially wider, even 2007 to 2010 started with mostly under 8 but they 8.1 and 8.2 + were starting to creep in a bit more by then, as well as some occasional bigger shaped boards for the barney type of guys.  Then by 2015 there were a lot more options and it went up from there.

The most common board size was around the 7.75 width in the catalogs, with variants of 7.5, 7.6, 7.8, 7.9 and maybe one 8 or 8.1 or 8.2 here and there.  I kept thinking I was missing half the catalog when I would look through them, but that was it.

All those guys were on boards that are very small by todays standards, as said John Cardiel on 7.5 and Julien Stranger on 7.8 or so when they came out here in 2003 on the Tent City tour, but they are also small dudes, so the board size fit them well enough.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #33773 on: June 19, 2023, 04:44:25 AM »

Black magic griptape
Bronze 7/8 Allen
Venture low 5.0
Bones reds

middle school ccs vibes

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #33774 on: June 19, 2023, 05:55:19 AM »

As I am still healing from a twisted ankle, I set up a cruiser.

warped Blast that I got from a friend (the warp is visible on the photo but not really annoying to skate)
standard Ace 55
58mm Spit Radial Fulls 97
used Swiss Super 6
Bones 1/8 raisers
Grip and bolts

This is my first time on Aces and I expected these to be more turny but coming from Indys, they felt rather stiff in the beginning. I guess they take some time to break in tho. It's also my first time on wheels bigger than 52mm and I got quite a bit of wheelbite despite the raisers. I bombed a little hill and felt a tiny little bit of speed wobble. Not bad, just enough for the adrenaline to kick in.

Do you think these trucks and wheels would fit on a Franky Villani egg? I realised that I am really not a shaped board dude but would like to put this combo to further use.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #33775 on: June 19, 2023, 06:06:36 AM »

As I am still healing from a twisted ankle, I set up a cruiser.

warped Blast that I got from a friend (the warp is visible on the photo but not really annoying to skate)
standard Ace 55
58mm Spit Radial Fulls 97
used Swiss Super 6
Bones 1/8 raisers
Grip and bolts

This is my first time on Aces and I expected these to be more turny but coming from Indys, they felt rather stiff in the beginning. I guess they take some time to break in tho. It's also my first time on wheels bigger than 52mm and I got quite a bit of wheelbite despite the raisers. I bombed a little hill and felt a tiny little bit of speed wobble. Not bad, just enough for the adrenaline to kick in.

Do you think these trucks and wheels would fit on a Franky Villani egg? I realised that I am really not a shaped board dude but would like to put this combo to further use.
I would say yes, I had a Franky egg with 8.75 Ventures and it was quite fun
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33776 on: June 19, 2023, 06:09:49 AM »
Yeah 55 classics are the perfect size for the bbs 9.1 egg

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #33777 on: June 19, 2023, 06:15:37 AM »
Thanks guys, that settles it then.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #33778 on: June 19, 2023, 08:48:46 AM »
Expand Quote

Black magic griptape
Bronze 7/8 Allen
Venture low 5.0
Bones reds
[close]
middle school ccs vibes

true, love it

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #33779 on: June 19, 2023, 06:37:51 PM »

Black magic griptape
Bronze 7/8 Allen
Venture low 5.0
Bones reds

Picked that deck up in the middle of a roadtrip last summer across America cause it was the only 7.75 the shop had. Deck held up the rest of the trip and it was a surprisingly good board