Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4787407 times)

Idk and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #28470 on: June 29, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »

Powell Flight 8.25  - Shape 243 (Full).  Measures 8.38 with 14.25 wheelbase
149 Indy Ti with 92a conical bushings
54mm F4 99a Conical
VXB Ceramic bearings
Indy hardware
Jessup

Skated some flat for 10 minutes with it. Poppy and flippy.  It turns out that bushings get super soft when it's 109 out. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:19:41 PM by backinaction »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #28471 on: June 29, 2021, 08:18:55 PM »
Expand Quote
That p2 fucks evan harder, looks so fun. How are the loopholes compared to f4s?
[close]
I've never ridden the f4 101 so I can't speak on those, but compared to the 99s they're more prone to slide. This is probably a bad analogy, but I feel like the f4 slide is like drifting and the loophole slide is more like hydroplaning (but in a good way). The real magic for me is the shape of the wheel; the V cuts have the widest contact patch I've been able to find at 56mm, so they're fast and plow over everything.
56mm v-cut loopholes are the best fucking wheels ever!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #28472 on: June 30, 2021, 05:48:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I've never ridden the f4 101 so I can't speak on those, but compared to the 99s they're more prone to slide. This is probably a bad analogy, but I feel like the f4 slide is like drifting and the loophole slide is more like hydroplaning (but in a good way). The real magic for me is the shape of the wheel; the V cuts have the widest contact patch I've been able to find at 56mm, so they're fast and plow over everything.
[close]
Ive skated both f4 duros so no worries, wish it was easier to get smaller brands where I live, id be down to try em out but I dont think any shops in montreal have em :(

Dime store has them in 54 if you're interested.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #28473 on: June 30, 2021, 05:57:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

DOA 8" Flat AF
Venture 5.2 low lights (riptides and 94 supercush)
F9 50mm 99 classics
Mob, Habitat 1" allen, reds

First 8" in years. The lows are so much fun.
[close]

Hot hot 🥵

Edit….in dirty quiet voice….what’s the wb and length
[close]

Ahh shit someones going to make me look like a chump when I'm wrong on this but it's a DOA question so I have to at least take a shot.

I think the E molds are pretty universally 31.7 and 14.25 until you hit the 8.5. Maybe the 7.5 is smaller but no one skates those except @nosneb
[close]

@ok 14.25" WB, like 31.875" overall. @Buttfart Rapedick this one is weirdly a little longer than my 8.25" E molds. Also I think @Fifty8mm skates the 7.5" flats and might also be able to comment on the WB.

Sorry for the mass tagging, I too want to know.

I was actually a bit wrong about that anyways. I picked up an 8.3 flat this time and its 32" so its just the 8.12 and 8.25 (the 2 sizes of flat i usually skate) that are 31.75"-ish.

Interestingly, the standard molds in this run seem a lot mellower than in the past. Usually they're steeper than even a hockey 8.25 and basically unskateable (except Kyle's square shape) but this time a lot of them are mellower than a regular bbs popsicle. I don't know if they have a new (or old?) mold, are putting more boards in the stack, using less pressure, or what the deal is but I'm definitely intrigued by it. It doesn't seem to have affected the quality of the wood either, still has that stiff but slightly soft, super comfortable feel and great pop that seems to float in the air. Heres a pic of an 8.3 standard mold Gold Bar that Fletch sent me (of course he grabbed a few of the better ones for himself haha).

I think I'm going to pick up a "Pulp" if I can find one on a stain that I like. Its one of my favorite graphics he's done and I always lamented the fact that DOA wasn't on my radar the first time he ran it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28474 on: June 30, 2021, 07:14:51 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick tell me all you know about said square shape, just picked one up in 8.375

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #28475 on: June 30, 2021, 07:20:47 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick that is shockingly mellow for a standard.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #28476 on: June 30, 2021, 05:09:42 PM »

My first ever Quasi. My good homie didn’t like much and and hooked it up. Have no idea what the measurements (lost my tape measure) but it goes well with Venture hollow 5.2’s and 48mm Big heads. The tail feels super short but I might be tripping.

That brand new Frog board up there looks full boobs!! So sick.  I have saved the photo for later… ha

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #28477 on: July 01, 2021, 03:22:49 AM »

My first ever Quasi. My good homie didn’t like much and and hooked it up. Have no idea what the measurements (lost my tape measure) but it goes well with Venture hollow 5.2’s and 48mm Big heads. The tail feels super short but I might be tripping.

That brand new Frog board up there looks full boobs!! So sick.  I have saved the photo for later… ha

Sound like the 8.125 Quasi!

Stood on it onceat the shop and already felt like how short the tail was......bummer!
how does it skate though? Can't say no to it when the homie hooked it up

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #28478 on: July 01, 2021, 04:19:35 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick tell me all you know about said square shape, just picked one up in 8.375

@Gay Imp Sausage Metal I've never had a square in 8.3 but I'm going to assume its all the same as the standard, so 32" length and 14.25" wb. There isnt as much of a disparity between the nose and tail as you'd have in a hockey/FA, and its a bit more subtle rather than straight up boxy like a snack deck. Rails are pretty straight and there's not a lot of taper to the kicks (as you'd expect with a square shape) which gives it a nice full shape and, at least in the 8.25, makes it very easy to catch. As i mentioned before they either used a different mold or changed something to make them mellower this time around, but traditionally the standard mold (which the squares are pressed on, they've been trying to get me a square flat for like a year but south central keeps ignoring it when they put it on the order haha) was really deep and had one of the steeper tails ive skated. The square shape made it more manageable than the normal popsicle ones for some reason though.

Its south central wood so should have loads of pop and last forever. Oddly enough with SC i feel like it takes a little while (maybe 5-10 "pops") for it to really come alive. Not sure why that is.

con_hielo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #28479 on: July 01, 2021, 06:54:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Ive skated both f4 duros so no worries, wish it was easier to get smaller brands where I live, id be down to try em out but I dont think any shops in montreal have em :(
[close]

Dime store has them in 54 if you're interested.

Someone on the Wheels Thread posted that The Source have them:

https://www.sourceboards.com/collections/wheels?q=vd_:NFG%20MFG

https://www.sourceboards.com/collections/wheels?q=vd_:Loophole%20Wheels

Not Mtl, but at least CAD \^-^/

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
« Reply #28480 on: July 02, 2021, 02:45:24 AM »
Another new one and probably my favourite graphic ever got two to skate and one for the wall

Polar 8.5
Ace af1 55
Loophole square cut 54mm
Bones swiss
VM002 on the feet

Excited to see what this slick bottom is like

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28481 on: July 02, 2021, 05:12:26 AM »
Another new one and probably my favourite graphic ever got two to skate and one for the wall

Polar 8.5
Ace af1 55
Loophole square cut 54mm
Bones swiss
VM002 on the feet

Excited to see what this slick bottom is like

That graphic is gorgeous
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #28482 on: July 02, 2021, 06:05:26 AM »
Had this one on ice for a minute but finally set it up yesterday.  :)

Quasi Justin Henry 8.25
Thunder 149 w/ Bones Mediums
Spitfire Conical Fulls 53 mm 99d
Bones Super Reds
Mob Grip

Vans Skate Sk8 High.

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
« Reply #28483 on: July 02, 2021, 06:08:45 AM »

Quasi Justin Henry 8.25
Bones Super Reds
Mob Grip

Vans Skate Sk8 High.

Such a sick graphic and love the shape of the board too, how does it skate with the thunders?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #28484 on: July 02, 2021, 06:17:19 AM »
The bushings are brand new so at this point I'm working pretty hard to get used to them, but I've run this combo in the past and always had a good time. The Quasi is a size down from my last board (8.38) but with how square it is I hardly notice the difference haha.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #28485 on: July 02, 2021, 01:13:45 PM »
Expand Quote

Quasi Justin Henry 8.25
Bones Super Reds
Mob Grip

Vans Skate Sk8 High.
[close]

Such a sick graphic and love the shape of the board too, how does it skate with the thunders?

I have the same deck but with 53 OG Classics and 148 Team Hollow Lights. I have tried it with Indy and Thunders and love it on Thunders

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28486 on: July 03, 2021, 02:15:30 AM »
Posted in the Big boards thread, but thought it can go here as well.

Baker Kader 9 x 31.85 with 14.25 wheelbase
Jessup grip
Indy hollow forged 169s with shortened kingpins
Cut down aftermarket Indy 90 conical bushings
Spitfire F4 "Full" 55mm down to 48mm
Spitfire cheapshots bearings
Shortys silverado 7/8 allen

* All second hand / used or very old parts dug out and set up during another lockdown + lots of rain.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ2LlWhlpSj/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #28487 on: July 03, 2021, 05:43:48 AM »
Wtf those "fulls"  :o
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28488 on: July 03, 2021, 06:22:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@Gay Imp Sausage Metal I've never had a square in 8.3 but I'm going to assume its all the same as the standard, so 32" length and 14.25" wb. There isnt as much of a disparity between the nose and tail as you'd have in a hockey/FA, and its a bit more subtle rather than straight up boxy like a snack deck. Rails are pretty straight and there's not a lot of taper to the kicks (as you'd expect with a square shape) which gives it a nice full shape and, at least in the 8.25, makes it very easy to catch. As i mentioned before they either used a different mold or changed something to make them mellower this time around, but traditionally the standard mold (which the squares are pressed on, they've been trying to get me a square flat for like a year but south central keeps ignoring it when they put it on the order haha) was really deep and had one of the steeper tails ive skated. The square shape made it more manageable than the normal popsicle ones for some reason though.

Its south central wood so should have loads of pop and last forever. Oddly enough with SC i feel like it takes a little while (maybe 5-10 "pops") for it to really come alive. Not sure why that is.
@Buttfart Rapedick cheers mate, it arrived and what you wrote was basically spot on! Doesn’t seem steep at all and the kick and nose sizes seem fairly similar. Funny I never found northern co boards to be steep in their concave either. I think it defs takes a while for the pop to wear in on any board; fresh boards never pop as good as broken in boards at least in my experience, I need the first ply to wear away a little bit before I can truly judge its pop. Haven’t skated SC wood in a minute but as usual it looks solid. Hope it will run well with 56 loopholes!!!

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #28489 on: July 03, 2021, 06:34:26 AM »

1 on the left
Anti Hero - Grant Taylor "Expressions"
w:8.12/l:31.38/wb:14/n:6.75/t:6.625
steep concave
Venture trucks V-Hollows 5.2 Hi
Spitfire F4 Classics 54 mm 99d
Nomad speedies bearings
Titus grip tape
Nomad hardware
This is the best set up i have ever had till now. The deck felt too steep in the beginning, but i got used to it. The wood is super solid as all the decks made in the BBS. I have been skating it for 4-5  months and it still hold up strong, except the razored tail. The trucks are light and strong, with good kingpin clearance. I have been riding them for two years and they still have some life left. I have recently put these wheels and i have to say that Spitfire Formula four in 99 duro is the best urethane i have ever tried. Smooth ride in the streets with great slidability.
2 on the right
Vitosha Skateboards - the brand of some hommies from Bulgaria. (It is china wood printed in the French Artprint factory. The graphic is of a photo from the first organized hiking tour in Vitosha Mountain by the famous novelist Aleko Konstantiov.)
8.125/31.625/14/6.9/6.7/medium concave
Film trucks raw 5.25
Bones stf 103a 49 mm V2 shape
Film raw bearings
Spicy grips
Nomad hardware
I have just put these together and had one ride after the photo. I usually don't like the first 2-3 days of riding new boards, but this time it was quite good. The wood felt softer and more flexible than my other deck. I think it is not gonna hold that long, but it is a very comfortable deck. The trucks have good look, medium weight, perfect kingpin clearance, grind good, but are a bit taller (55 mm) and quite turny for my taste. I tried to compensate the height with old bones small wheels.
As for now set up 1 is for the crust and set up 2 will enjoy the smoother streets and plazas.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 06:46:00 AM by El Freegano »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #28490 on: July 03, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »
Not enjoying, at all, 8.38 so I need to come back to the good ol 8.5.
Browsing I found that Skiduls shape is kinda crazy with 8.5 x 31.625 x 14, I'm curious yet terrified about it.
Anybody tried it?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #28491 on: July 03, 2021, 02:26:24 PM »
8" with Venture lows is fun but not practical. Set up this as my new main ride:

AWS 8.75
Independent 159
Ace 1/16" shock pads
97a Conical Full 56mm F4

Was skating this shape in 8.5" for a while and it feels good to be back on it.

animalflesh

« Reply #28492 on: July 03, 2021, 02:30:36 PM »
159s for life

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #28494 on: July 03, 2021, 09:52:43 PM »
Polar surf jr
149s
Spitfire f4 99

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #28495 on: July 04, 2021, 03:56:06 AM »
Creature Wilkins 8.8
Indy 159
Some pretty new 52mm Bones V5 I found in my spare parts

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #28496 on: July 04, 2021, 10:13:23 AM »
Okay so, I wanted to give the HLC wood a chance.
The specs were right up my alley, this is a Cafe deck.

8.125 × 31.75 with a 14.25 wb

Coming of a tweaked ankle, I was just on curbs and flat today. First session after 5 weeks and I had a blast for 2 hours and then..

I landed a heelflip with a bit too much weight on my back foot. I was truly shocked. A broken deck after just 2 hours is even for me really fast.

I will give this deck to my parents so they have firewood for the winter.
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #28497 on: July 04, 2021, 10:35:00 AM »

Coming of a tweaked ankle, I was just on curbs and flat today. First session after 5 weeks and I had a blast for 2 hours and then..

I landed a heelflip with a bit too much weight on my back foot. I was truly shocked. A broken deck after just 2 hours is even for me really fast.

Big oof, don't think the deck will make good firewood, considering the dye and griptape glue will stink up the room.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 10:41:46 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #28498 on: July 04, 2021, 10:38:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Big oof, don't the deck will make good firewood, considering the dye and griptape glue will stink up the room.

I will remove the grip of course. And my parents also have a outdoor fire spot.
IG: @flowterspace

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #28499 on: July 04, 2021, 03:22:26 PM »

My first TT, super stoked and scared at the same time.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.