Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4838252 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30900 on: April 21, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »
DGK Marquise Henry (graphics removed just because I wanted a clean look; steel wool took it right off)
8.25” / Length: 31.85” / Wheelbase: 14.31” / Nose: 6.75” / Tail: 6.56”
ACE 44 Lo
52nMm BONES STF V2 (graphics removed - DLX is sleeping on Radial Slims and these are damn near identical just a bit thinner
Swiss 6 (but there MAY BE a Big Ball in here, can't tell don't care, grabbed whatever 6 ball supn the fastest).
Grizzly (blank)
Thunder 7/8" allen

DGK doesn't get any love here and it's definitely not my vibe of choice but I rode an 8.38" DGK + 44 classics way back and loved it.

Plus: Dims > Brand - been searching for this size forever...decided to check their page out at random...and what do you know.

Medium concave, medium/mellow kicks, Baker style tail (pointy-ish), Plan B style nose if I had to compare, it's just rounded/full/short but still 'standard' popsicle. Measures true for the most part, just a hair shy of 8.25.

I was feeling your vibe @logjammin

More pics here due to size limitations
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3781392#msg3781392

@biaherl Had Vertigo a few years ago, insane...just thought it was low blood sugar/light headed. Woke the next day absolutely swimming - had to literally crawl otherwise I would instantly vomit from trying to stand. Worst non-drunken bedspins (eyes open or closed) ever. 3 weeks straight (video games kept me focused/tunnel vision) couldn't eat or sleep well at all, was worried it was the onset of Ménière’s. Went to urgent care, dude was clueless about vertigo "it should just go away" I had some swollen lymph nodes in my upper lip though so he removed them...come to find out later I probably had a viral infection that cause the nodes and my inner ear to get farked, potentially starting from the nodes. To this day I have no idea what the real cause was. Shit is no joke, hope you find balance soon!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 11:07:00 PM by Xen »

coexist3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #30901 on: April 21, 2022, 07:05:10 PM »

dgk 8.0
venture 5.0hi
dialtone 54mm

i usually ride under 8.0inches but this graphic was to good to not skate.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #30902 on: April 21, 2022, 08:23:37 PM »

Heroin Zane Timpson 8.75
Indy 159 Hollow w/ Ace Bushings (low top classic bottom) and Riptide cups
Spitfire F4 Classic Full 53mm
Swiss 6
Mob grip that I accidentally tore so I just rolled with it
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:53:28 PM by DeepSpace9mm »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #30903 on: April 22, 2022, 03:29:07 AM »

Heroin Zane Timpson 8.75
Swiss 6

Whole thing looks beautiful!
IG: @flowterspace

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #30904 on: April 22, 2022, 05:58:42 AM »
DGK Marquise Henry (graphics removed just because I wanted a clean look; steel wool took it right off)
ACE 44 Lo
52nMm BONES STF V2 (graphics removed - DLX is sleeping on Radial Slims and these are damn near identical just a bit thinner
Swiss 6 (but there MAY BE a Big Ball in here, can't tell don't care, grabbed whatever 6 ball supn the fastest).
Grizzly (blank)
Thunder 7/8" allen

DGK doesn't get any love here and it's definitely not my vibe of choice but I rode an 8.38" DGK + 44 classics way back and loved it.

Plus: Dims > Brand - been searching for this size forever...decided to check their page out at random...and what do you know.

Medium concave, medium/mellow kicks, Baker style tail (pointy-ish), Plan B style nose if I had to compare, it's just rounded/full/short but still 'standard' popsicle. Measures true for the most part, just a hair shy of 8.25.

@biaherl Had Vertigo a few years ago, insane...just thought it was low blood sugar/light headed. Woke the next day absolutely swimming - had to literally crawl otherwise I would instantly vomit from trying to stand. Worst non-drunken bedspins (eyes open or closed) ever. 3 weeks straight (video games kept me focused/tunnel vision) couldn't eat or sleep well at all, was worried it was the onset of Ménière’s. Went to urgent care, dude was clueless about vertigo "it should just go away" I had some swollen lymph nodes in my upper lip though so he removed them...come to find out later I probably had a viral infection that cause the nodes and my inner ear to get farked, potentially starting from the nodes. To this day I have no idea what the real cause was. Shit is no joke, hope you find balance soon!

what a beauty

logjammin

• Rep: 348
« Reply #30905 on: April 22, 2022, 06:20:20 AM »
ACE 44 Lo
Grizzly (blank)
Thunder 7/8" allen

Hell yeah, Xen! That purple is beautiful. I could def skate that set-up but would need some risers lol.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30906 on: April 22, 2022, 07:22:50 AM »

Heroin Zane Timpson 8.75
Swiss 6

Sick grip but just HOW did you get mob to tear, I fail at it every time - the adhesive layer always peels away or stretches on a tear.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #30907 on: April 22, 2022, 08:07:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Heroin Zane Timpson 8.75
Swiss 6

[close]

Sick grip but just HOW did you get mob to tear, I fail at it every time - the adhesive layer always peels away or stretches on a tear.

Thank you!

I’ve never been able to tear Mob either. It must have been an old sheet or something as it felt pretty crumbly. I cut the grip to show a purple line down the middle. It tore when I went to pull it up / straighten  the line. Without the backing it tore real easy, tiny pieces too.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 08:26:16 AM by DeepSpace9mm »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30908 on: April 22, 2022, 08:23:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Heroin Zane Timpson 8.75
Swiss 6

[close]

[close]

I’ve never been able to tear Mob either. It must have been an old sheet or something as it felt pretty crumbly. I cut the grip to show a purple line down the middle. It tore when I went to pull it up / straighten  the line. Without the backing it tore real easy, tiny pieces too.

With each sheet, I try every corner (the excess area) without backing and never have success, no matter the brand; 80/90s era you could tear that shit super easy - I'm guessing it's based on glue/environmental reasons we can't these days.

manysnakes

« Reply #30909 on: April 22, 2022, 08:31:29 AM »
Powell griptape tears very easily, just like the 80s shit. It's decent, but I never see any Powell grip that doesn't have awful graphics on it. That said, it would be pretty funny to skate like an FA or Quasi deck with this griptape on it

Shoebox

• Rep: 14
« Reply #30910 on: April 22, 2022, 11:52:19 AM »
Snack 8.5
Ace af1 55
Spitfire classic 52
Super reds (not really impressed with them)
Deez Nutz hardware
Jessup
Loving this setup
upload images

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #30911 on: April 22, 2022, 01:01:03 PM »

FA tyshawn 8.18"
venture 5.2 low hollow hanger on a 5.2 low cast baseplate
spitfire f4 52mm classics 99du
swiss bones
jessup

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30912 on: April 22, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »

Snapped the tail of my last Krooked 8.38 second sesh but liked it enough to replace it.

Krooked 8.38x14.5x32.1
Indy Hollow 144
Spitfire 99a Classic Full 54
Quantum bearings
Nuts and bolts
Pepper grip
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 04:10:26 PM by LebowskisRug »

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #30913 on: April 22, 2022, 03:31:02 PM »

Snapped the tail of my last Krooked 8.38 second sesh but liked it enough to replace it.

Krooked 8.38x14.5x32.1
Indy Hollow 144
Quantum bearings
Nuts and bolts
Pepper grip

Beautiful setup. Love the stickers with the graphic matching colors. Looks super fun too

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #30914 on: April 22, 2022, 04:51:39 PM »
Expand Quote

Krooked 8.38x14.5x32.1
Indy Hollow 144
Quantum bearings
Nuts and bolts
Pepper grip
[close]

Beautiful setup. Love the stickers with the graphic matching colors. Looks super fun too

Yes that looks great

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #30915 on: April 22, 2022, 06:34:35 PM »
Powell griptape tears very easily, just like the 80s shit. It's decent, but I never see any Powell grip that doesn't have awful graphics on it. That said, it would be pretty funny to skate like an FA or Quasi deck with this griptape on it

Mini logo used to have grip you could tear real easy, but they switched it up around maybe 2015 and I'm pretty sure it got worse/not tearable. Haven't held a sheet in years.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #30916 on: April 22, 2022, 06:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Krooked 8.38x14.5x32.1
Indy Hollow 144
Quantum bearings
Nuts and bolts
Pepper grip
[close]

[close]

Yes that looks great

The Krooked eyes on top of the Spitty face looks both hilarious and dope.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1185
  • old and in the way
« Reply #30917 on: April 22, 2022, 09:44:39 PM »

Heroin Zane Timpson 8.75
Swiss 6

@DeepSpace9mm this grip job is beautiful

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #30918 on: April 23, 2022, 01:02:24 AM »

18 Eagle 8.38 x 32.56 x 14.5WB
Venture 5.8 w/ 3 washers in
/Krux Tops/Indy Soft white bottom’s
Spitfire F4 classic Ishod 55mm blacked out
Modus 7S Bearings
WKND 1” Allen Hardware
Jessup Grip

First deluxe in awhile. Do they normally sound damped? Like water log like but it don’t feel soggy?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30919 on: April 23, 2022, 02:27:39 AM »

18 Eagle 8.38 x 32.56 x 14.5WB
Venture 5.8 w/ 3 washers in
/Krux Tops/Indy Soft white bottom’s
Spitfire F4 classic Ishod 55mm blacked out
Modus 7S Bearings
WKND 1” Allen Hardware
Jessup Grip

First deluxe in awhile. Do they normally sound damped? Like water log like but it don’t feel soggy?

This is my usual go to and I had quite a few of them as well as have quite a few more on the go.

None have really sounded anything other than crispy, but it mostly depends on the bearings, more than anything else in the sound of the board, or at least that is what I have thought between many different setups and bearing changes, especially new and very well lubed bearings.

Also curious, did you scrape back the edge of the green eagle graphic so you could see more of the wood?

That looks pretty cool actually.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #30920 on: April 23, 2022, 03:12:49 AM »
Some nice setups on this page.

Saint Marks (clutch) first one of these shape is steep, dimensions on point
8 x 31.4 x 14w
Ace af1 low 22  (7.75') n couple extra washers
Spitfire f4 50mm
Modus blue bearings n modus hardware

Trucks are breaking in nicely but I've really had about 2hours on them.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #30921 on: April 23, 2022, 06:10:37 AM »

-Creature cruiser, limited edition Michael Sieban graphic. I believe this was a series of 3 different graphics, I could be wrong. Most likely a 2009 (maybe 2010) model.
-Indy Stage 10 (maybe 9) Rowley pro model. 139
-Most likely Bones Swiss, that's all I've been riding for 16 years.
-Green Zip Zingers, looks like 56-58mm.

(Story time)

Now, I've got a bunch of different set-ups, but this one is super special to me. I bought this board as a cruiser in Spring of '10 at a skateshop that was going out of business, cash-only sale. Went pub crawling with it that very same night and got blackout drunk with my friends and ended up losing it. All 3 of us blacked out that night, I just remember waking up at home fully clothed with my shoes on. No one knows how that night ended, it was a big one. I literally had that board a few hours before losing it. It bummed me out for years.

Last weekend my best friend was in town house sitting at his parents' place who are in Costa Rica for a few months, so I went over to see him, seeing as I hadn't seen him in over 6 months. We had some drinks, smoked some doobs and talked about the good ol' days. Somehow that board came into discussion and he went "OH SHIT". Ran to the basement and pulled this out. Turns out his parents were renovating the basement and found it in some nook under a bunch of shit. Guess I ended up at his place before heading home, because the board is exactly the same as the night I lost it (those marks are mine). I know for a fact he didn't steal it from me, the guy can't stand on a skateboard to save his life.

I almost cried tears of joy and I'm still shocked I finally found it after all this time.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #30922 on: April 23, 2022, 08:15:24 AM »

@DeepSpace9mm this grip job is beautiful

Thank you! I have fun while gripping boards.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #30923 on: April 23, 2022, 08:28:49 AM »

-Creature cruiser, limited edition Michael Sieban graphic. I believe this was a series of 3 different graphics, I could be wrong. Most likely a 2009 (maybe 2010) model.

(Story time)

Now, I've got a bunch of different set-ups, but this one is super special to me. I bought this board as a cruiser in Spring of '10 at a skateshop that was going out of business, cash-only sale. Went pub crawling with it that very same night and got blackout drunk with my friends and ended up losing it. All 3 of us blacked out that night, I just remember waking up at home fully clothed with my shoes on. No one knows how that night ended, it was a big one. I literally had that board a few hours before losing it. It bummed me out for years.

Last weekend my best friend was in town house sitting at his parents' place who are in Costa Rica for a few months, so I went over to see him, seeing as I hadn't seen him in over 6 months. We had some drinks, smoked some doobs and talked about the good ol' days. Somehow that board came into discussion and he went "OH SHIT". Ran to the basement and pulled this out. Turns out his parents were renovating the basement and found it in some nook under a bunch of shit. Guess I ended up at his place before heading home, because the board is exactly the same as the night I lost it (those marks are mine). I know for a fact he didn't steal it from me, the guy can't stand on a skateboard to save his life.

I almost cried tears of joy and I'm still shocked I finally found it after all this time.

great looking set up with an amazing story. you gonna skate it or is it now gonna be more of a conversation piece?

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #30924 on: April 23, 2022, 08:40:14 AM »

(Story time)

Its story probably makes this nice cruiser really special. :)

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #30925 on: April 23, 2022, 09:25:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

great looking set up with an amazing story. you gonna skate it or is it now gonna be more of a conversation piece?

Besides cruising to the corner store for munchies and beer, I’m not skating it. Too special for me, even if I’m not much of a Creature fan these days.

Plus, board’s 12-13 years old. Wood and resin are probably dry as fuck and it’d kill me if I snapped it on a sloppy ollie over a manhole or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 09:50:20 AM by TheBoognish »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #30926 on: April 23, 2022, 09:52:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Besides cruising to the corner store for munchies and beer, I’m not skating it. Too special for me, even if I’m not much of a Creature fan these days.

Plus, board’s 12-13 years old. Wood and resin are probably dry as fuck and it’d kill me if I snapped it on a sloppy ollie over a manhole or something like that.

lol yeah i figured, stay safe on those munchie runs my dude!

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #30927 on: April 23, 2022, 10:34:03 AM »
Some nice setups on this page.

Saint Marks (clutch) first one of these shape is steep, dimensions on point
8 x 31.4 x 14w
Ace af1 low 22  (7.75') n couple extra washers
Spitfire f4 50mm
Modus blue bearings n modus hardware

Trucks are breaking in nicely but I've really had about 2hours on them.

Clean setup. Absolute flip stick. Club C’s with the black laces look sick

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #30928 on: April 23, 2022, 10:49:27 AM »

stereo jason lee 8.3 x 32 something, 14.25 wb
venture standard 5.8, stock bushings, flat top washer
spitfire f4 og classics 58 99 (worn down to ~55)
cortina c-class bearings
diamond bolts
jessup grip
skate half cabs

i’m a sucker for 90s reissue graphics, i have some weird kind of nostalgia for that era of skateboarding even though i wasn’t even alive then.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30929 on: April 23, 2022, 12:09:12 PM »

unpopular opinion = yes (to me anyway, it's why they are not my first choice; but I like stiffer boards anway like Dwindle/crail)

Are the bearings new/wheels too tight?

What were you riding prior? If it was something really crispy anything will feel logged afterward.