Author Topic: CO2 Emissions: Lowering Your Carbon Footprint  (Read 941 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
CO2 Emissions: Lowering Your Carbon Footprint
« on: November 27, 2019, 11:15:29 PM »
I'm curious to hear where you Slapper's stand on this. Do you consciously try to reduce your food waste, recycle, use public transportation, etc... to lower your CO2 Emissions?

I know people who even say that they plan to only take one long distance flight - or even just one flight in general - a year. But then, at the same time, some of these people have kids which is one of the most destructive things you can do to the environment.

So where do you draw the line and why do you care - or not care - about lowering your carbon footprint?

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: CO2 Emissions: Lowering Your Carbon Footprint
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 12:55:09 AM »
I ride a two stroke motorbike everyday... but that's only got to be good for increasing emissions.
Got a couple of kids too...

I guess that is a big fuck you to the environment on my behalf...

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 01:19:40 AM »
No kids, no car, produce almost no garbade (other than what's coming out of my mouth).... I'm a loser.

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 03:50:15 AM »
I'm curious to hear where you Slapper's stand on this. Do you consciously try to reduce your food waste, recycle, use public transportation, etc... to lower your CO2 Emissions?

I know people who even say that they plan to only take one long distance flight - or even just one flight in general - a year. But then, at the same time, some of these people have kids which is one of the most destructive things you can do to the environment.

So where do you draw the line and why do you care - or not care - about lowering your carbon footprint?

It's not like I drive my HUMMER to the mailbox EVERY day.  I'll roll the 64 Impala rag (classic, no smog cert) if it's nice out.   Toss some burgers and dogs on the charcoal grill, with some canned corn and pork & beans, served up on paper plates, paper napkins, with plastic flatwear, canned soda, bottled beer, and bottled water, obviously can't be bothered to recycle any of it afterwards. 

This, of course, is only after styling my hair with some aerorol hairspray, dried with a FRESH towel, pulled from my gas dryer,  after a very long shower (1of 3 daily), following my VERY long, weekly airplane flights, which burn a TON of fuel shuttling me from China to India, where I sometimes stop chain-smoking JUST long enough to see Sasquatch's carbon footprints with my own eyes.

Well, time to go change the Baby's single use plastic, disposable diaper and flush the disposable wet wipe, which usually goes down my 3.5 GPF  toilet within 2-3 flushes, unless one of the Wife's plastic applicator, disposable tampons happens to be clogging it, again.
"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 05:03:24 AM »
I ride my bike everywhere if possible, but if we have to drive it's carpooled everyone in the house and it's according to location farthest person first then sequential order.

I recycle by donating my water bottles to this crazy bum dude who is also making a n island out of bottled water or I leave pop cans for bums to recycle on a fence post dudes need to eat as well.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 07:48:03 AM »
I don't do much aside from the normal stuff like recycling, but don't really produce much either. No kids or pets, live in a smallish apartment, don't drive very much, usually take the train for longer distance travels, maybe one plane ride per year, don't buy a lot of products and don't eat much. I know it's nowhere near enough, but I guess it's better than most

Pretty crazy to think though, that even with all this hype, there hasn't been really any progress happening towards reaching the goals of cutting emissions. Politically it's probably impossible to get anywhere near the goals in the time frame we have, as the economical impact would be too drastic to handle. More and more people are excited to make small changes when they don't have much impact on their life on a practical level, but not sure how open they'd be to give up something they feel like they actually need

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 08:56:50 AM »
Too broke for a car, kids or anything wasteful.

Only second hand clothes (apart from the eventual pair of skate shoes on sale)
Eat veggie, as local as possible
Skate, cycle or public everywhere
And camping/backpacking  for vacation
My wife and me are from different continents so to see family we can’t avoid the occasional long distance flight.

Thanks for starting the thread, very important topic

PMA

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 04:39:19 PM »
1- I became vegetarian about 18 years ago

2- Got rid of my car

3- Recycled all I could

4- Tried to hold seminars in the snowboard community about global warming

5- Recycled everything I could

6- Swore I’d never have kids

Nowadays

1- I’m still vegetarian

2- Have 2 cars between my wife and I

3- Had a kid (She really wanted one, I wanted to adopt, but supported her dream and I thought only one is still a net decrease in population)

4- Try to everything, (and compost too) but realize that it’s kinda bullshit, a lot of it just gets shipped to other countries to deal with.

5- Now understand that lifestyle changes make much less of an impact than systematic changes. They are good, but really only a personal salve that you are doing less bad than what is expected of you.

Capitalism will not reform itself, our economic system needs to be fundamentally changed and democratically planned according to what science tells us.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 10:37:03 PM »
Cut meat for the time being, eat a lot less other animal products, no more coffee cups, less driving, limit bags....no kids...not that I did that for the environment.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »
i try to do a lot of the things many already posted about, like biking everywhere, composting, never have coffee in a paper or plastic cup. basically i'd say try to avoid useless consumption and trash products, especially such as ones by nestle, mondelez, etc.. avoid animal products as much as possible, avoid short distance flights. try to reuse and recycle your belongings or give them to friends if they are useful instead of throwing them on the trash. buy new stuff that you can repair or get repaired instead of one way products.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »
I chose a career in revegetating the Earth and documenting endangered species threatened by climate change.

Reduction is tight. Sequestering is tighter.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 10:41:06 PM »
I burn a pile of tires every sunday afternoon for the fun of it, so much fun !

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2533
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 07:29:06 AM »
I try by biking, walking, or taking public transit, boycotting products (especially Nestle), but the real difference, like cucktard said, is made by putting pressure on corporations and governments and here I I've not been too active apart from joining the odd protest or signing petitions, or voting Green (where available or where they're not Tories on bikes).

Recycling is a bit of a sham. I still do it, but it's only by rote now.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 08:33:36 AM »
We find out it's not the best and we try and do better.....doesn't mean it's a sham....

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 08:46:29 AM »

Throw some acacia and eucalyptus in there for ya boy.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2533
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 08:56:53 AM »
We find out it's not the best and we try and do better.....doesn't mean it's a sham....

Hence the "a bit of a" part.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Throw some acacia and eucalyptus in there for ya boy.
yeah i'll throw acacia trees and eucalyptus forests in there too, don't worry son