Author Topic: the Bunt is back  (Read 312196 times)

Vahbs, swellbowed, dill8849 (+ 2 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

ToySanta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
Re: the Bunt is back
« Reply #1920 on: October 19, 2022, 12:55:06 PM »
HOLY SMOKES ITS BARLEY. Can’t wait!

I just finished the Jack Curtin episode.. was kinda hopin they’d ask about Hubba Wheels. Very curious how the guys look back on it now..

He had some good stories, but it was kind of a snooze. I was waiting for a Power Balance reference. He missed the irony in shilling NFTs right now.

Pretty incredible longevity he has had.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1921 on: October 19, 2022, 01:56:50 PM »

I just finished the Jack Curtin episode.. was kinda hopin they’d ask about Hubba Wheels. Very curious how the guys look back on it now..

He had some good stories, but it was kind of a snooze. I was waiting for a Power Balance reference. He missed the irony in shilling NFTs right now.

When we saw him in dc, at Pulaski, with Tiago we offered them a hit of our joint. Tiago obliged but Jack just looked at us and said he had his own weed.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1922 on: October 19, 2022, 02:36:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
When we saw him in dc, at Pulaski, with Tiago we offered them a hit of our joint. Tiago obliged but Jack just looked at us and said he had his own weed.
Was this recently? After covid, I don't blame him for not wanting a hit of the joint offered by a random dude.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #1923 on: October 19, 2022, 03:04:03 PM »
Haven't listen to the Donny one yet but I gotta say the Jack Curtain episode was an all time fav episode. He was chill and kept up a great conversation.

Yeah the NFT thing was whack but at least his point of view was from the artist's perspective. He even says he doesn't own any, but yeah, could've done without that small section

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1924 on: October 19, 2022, 05:08:29 PM »
I like that he touches on opiate abuse as it's the massive elephant in the skateboarding world room. I wish Atchley touched on this more or other skaters would. Just own up to it it's not like ur gunna go work for the CIA or some shit.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #1925 on: October 20, 2022, 06:07:59 AM »
Donny spoke really well and was enjoyable to listen to. Great to hear he's still very much involved with skating.

Major respect to him for discussing his own issues with opiate addiction and encouraging others to seek treatment.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1926 on: October 20, 2022, 06:13:22 AM »
I like that he touches on opiate abuse as it's the massive elephant in the skateboarding world room. I wish Atchley touched on this more or other skaters would. Just own up to it it's not like ur gunna go work for the CIA or some shit.
I had meniscus surgery and they gave me 30 pills to start. Within 2 days I had to take 6 to get the same feeling as I did with just 1/2 pills. Luckily I was at my parents house and they just threw the pills away when they saw them get depleted. I couldn’t even poop without it tearing me up and causing bleeding but I still wanted to pop some more pills because it made me feel like I was a waterfall. 

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #1927 on: October 20, 2022, 05:29:10 PM »
Man shout out Donny for being a fuckin real one. Fucking great guy, I wish him only the best

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #1928 on: October 20, 2022, 06:31:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I had meniscus surgery and they gave me 30 pills to start. Within 2 days I had to take 6 to get the same feeling as I did with just 1/2 pills. Luckily I was at my parents house and they just threw the pills away when they saw them get depleted. I couldn’t even poop without it tearing me up and causing bleeding but I still wanted to pop some more pills because it made me feel like I was a waterfall.

Happened to me after a hand surgery. Totally cut myself off, but shit was already heavy.  Withdrawals ain’t nothing to fuck with.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 07:15:33 PM by Dark Knight »

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #1929 on: October 21, 2022, 06:59:12 AM »
Donny is a real one! I meet him at a meeting down here one time during my fuck-up phase, came up to me after the meeting and asked if I skated, to which I obliged. I was trying really hard to not fan out on him, as kind of the whole point is that we are all human beings on an equal plane, but did acknowledge that I knew who he was and thanked him for everything that he had for skating and that I was always a fan.

I'll always be pretty open about my issues, in an attempt to destigmatize addicts as useless pieces of shit with nothing to contribute.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1930 on: October 21, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »
Shit’s heavy.  No doubt

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1931 on: October 21, 2022, 03:20:48 PM »
Donny is a real one! I meet him at a meeting down here one time during my fuck-up phase, came up to me after the meeting and asked if I skated, to which I obliged. I was trying really hard to not fan out on him, as kind of the whole point is that we are all human beings on an equal plane, but did acknowledge that I knew who he was and thanked him for everything that he had for skating and that I was always a fan.

I'll always be pretty open about my issues, in an attempt to destigmatize addicts as useless pieces of shit with nothing to contribute.

Thanks for sharing!

I feel that about trying to be open about issues to destigmatize addicts. People are usually really fucking shocked when I tell them I had an opiate addiction for 7 years and heroin for a good 4 years of that. I think there's a ton more closeted opiate addicts, I held down a 9-5 while on the junk (and still have that job).

I always feel really weird about telling people, especially because I am not 100% sober (but do have 3 years clean from heroin). I pretty much only fuck with psychedelics, weed, and alcohol these days but in moderation (except weed).

Didn't expect that from Donny but was so stoked when he shared that. Props to Donny, you god damn legend. Stoked he made it out of the hellhole repeating cycle that is opiate addiction. That's so sick you met him at a meeting

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1932 on: October 21, 2022, 03:49:31 PM »
I could probably listen for hours to Donny's stories about growing up with Brian Anderson. I wish it had been longer and touched on more Eastern Exposure and Toy Machine stuff but they did a great job as always and props to Donny for sharing his experience with alcoholism and painkiller addiction.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1933 on: October 22, 2022, 10:07:33 PM »
I could probably listen for hours to Donny's stories about growing up with Brian Anderson. I wish it had been longer and touched on more Eastern Exposure and Toy Machine stuff but they did a great job as always and props to Donny for sharing his experience with alcoholism and painkiller addiction.

I love the Bunt, but was actually disappointed the EE3 aspect was essentially ignored. In a year or two span he was in two of the most important skate videos, yet they only talked about Welcome to Hell. And, while Welcome to Hell may be viewed by some as more important, EE3 in retrospect seems monumental in changing the view of skating (appreciation for the east coast, crusty non-perfect spots, skating through the streets with tricks, etc). I feel E3 was essentially ignored at atleast 2 obvious points.

Agreed, could listen forever about him talking about BA and those days. And, finally, respect to Donny for opening up about his own issues to bring attention to what is happening. He seemed inspired because of what happened to his friend to air his own issues to help others.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1934 on: October 23, 2022, 05:13:21 PM »
Man listening to the Tom Karangelov interview from April, such a funny storyteller, dude was on one.  Bunt boys never got a word in lol.  Never heard of him before and not sure if he’s intentionally funny or just a legit weirdo.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 11:50:32 AM by radcunt »

wheelchair skitch

• Rep: -19
« Reply #1935 on: October 24, 2022, 11:46:13 AM »
The Jack Curtin interview was interesting. Looking back, I'm shocked he has gotten so far and maintained a career for multiple decades with a pretty random bag of low-impact tricks.

I'm also surprised he is just shy of 40 and not talking about growing up and getting a non-skate-industry job, dating instagram models and living in SF ain't cheap.
BE LIKE WATER

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1936 on: October 25, 2022, 01:24:48 AM »
The Jack Curtin interview was interesting. Looking back, I'm shocked he has gotten so far and maintained a career for multiple decades with a pretty random bag of low-impact tricks.

I'm also surprised he is just shy of 40 and not talking about growing up and getting a non-skate-industry job, dating instagram models and living in SF ain't cheap.

i don't know, i always thought jack curtin had a pretty deep/ cool bag of trick. some that might have seemed odd at the time or tricks not many people did/ wasn't the cool trick to do at the time, but he made them look good- not effortless, always seems to have to work for his shit! Like in that DGK/RBK in spain video- fakie heel fs 5-0 on that bench, nobody did that and it has to be an awkward trick i imagine but he does it hella clean!

But i guess you point is more of him being able to maintain a career with mostly low impact skating the last couple years? I guess this is becoming more common nowadays and makes for some great footy from some dudes who woulda been forced to retire age 24 in 90s/ early 00s

and he was hucking for a good part of his career- not mostly hucking but good mix of it and low impact shit.

guess i'll have to revisit some parts now

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #1937 on: October 25, 2022, 01:26:41 PM »
Jack had multiple clipper nbds. Just sayin

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1938 on: October 25, 2022, 02:31:16 PM »

Thanks for this man! I never saw the Quiksilver Promo. Interesting to see a lil Dylan crushing it in his part.

Donny Barley is the truth...love me a East Coast shredder

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1939 on: October 25, 2022, 07:33:04 PM »
stoked for this week's guest

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #1940 on: October 25, 2022, 07:46:55 PM »

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #1941 on: October 25, 2022, 08:32:49 PM »
Curtin and Surrey in one season? Underrated gods.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

ohtight

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1942 on: October 25, 2022, 09:49:37 PM »
I started from episode 1 season 1 a few months ago and I’ve been working my way through them. I also listen to the most recent season because I like to listen to their live sports takes. Just finished the Fred gall episode and I was fucking dying throughout the entire thing.

Anyone know who pulled on manchilds hair when he was kooking it at that restaurant? Not sure if it was mentioned before and I don’t want to go through 50 pages of this shit
zzz

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #1943 on: October 26, 2022, 12:59:55 AM »
stoked for this week's guest

Holy shit that nose manual to nollie noseslide was incredible
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1944 on: October 26, 2022, 09:33:05 AM »

As much as I love the Bunt, as a Canadian, I feel Rick Howard needs to be top 3, if not 1. Although, I love that the Bottom 3 on this list have all stayed in Canada for their careers despite significant incentive to move stateside especially in the case of Wade and Spencer (a bit easier in Bobby's era to not be in Cali).

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1945 on: October 26, 2022, 11:04:50 AM »
Rick Howard should definitely be on that list, but you have to remember these are their friends, so of course it’s a little biased.  Expected Travis Stenger to be a pick because he is the fucking best
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 11:13:05 AM by Dark Knight »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1946 on: October 26, 2022, 11:42:32 AM »
Rick Howard should definitely be on that list, but you have to remember these are their friends, so of course it’s a little biased.  Expected Travis Stenger to be a pick because he is the fucking best
I don't think they are friends with Apples, maybe acquentences. To be honest, if it was primarily about friends, Morgan Smith would be #1 considering they all grew up skating shred together and are around the same age.

Boring

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1947 on: October 26, 2022, 04:52:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't think they are friends with Apples, maybe acquentences. To be honest, if it was primarily about friends, Morgan Smith would be #1 considering they all grew up skating shred together and are around the same age.

Cephas def spent a bunch of time with Apples when Mark lived at Adrift Skateshop back in the day.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1948 on: October 26, 2022, 06:16:53 PM »
I’m a fellow Canadian and roughly their age, and at least from my perspective Rick Howard wasn’t really on my radar growing up. His last full part might have been yeah right? I’m probably getting that wrong, but from what I remember he never really put out too much footage aside from a clip here and there in trip videos. So I can kinda see why he wasn’t including.

All that being said, I’m a Rickk fan now. Just growing up he didn’t have the same appeal as a Koston or Rowley or whoever.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #1949 on: October 27, 2022, 08:03:00 AM »
Surprised he didn’t reserve a spot for one of the huckers like machnau or decenzo.

Also, awesome to find out Surrey seems as rad as a person as he is a skater.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.