Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 114437 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2020, 03:35:27 AM »
They are great
BBS boards

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2020, 05:17:19 AM »
Sausage is control if I recall. Pretty sure I was going to buy one that was on closeout until I saw the sticker a while back. Not a fan of control wood, I've had two and both felt soggy pretty much right out of the plastic and sounded like a wet log hitting the ground. Some people like them but I gave both of mine away and avoid them completely now.

BBS decks can be hit or miss for me and it almost makes me wonder if they prioritize the bigger brands ... Like DLX and baker boys and the big companies get the best wood and smaller companies get the lower graded. Every AH and FA deck I have is great but I recently got a Theories deck that I just really didn't like much. It wasn't bad but didn't have quite the level of pop and stiffness that my other bbs decks have. It might just be a dud or the shape not working for me, but it was bad enough to make me wonder a little bit.

I'm fairly certain those Maxallure decks are China wood. They're pretty stiff and have the kind of lower pitched thud sound that makes me think they're epoxy rather than regular glue (not dwindle r7 though). The one I got is really heavy and so thick I thought it might be an 8-ply when I rook it out of the box. Used digital calipers and it's about a millimeter thicker than a PS deck, which might not sound like much but is pretty noticeable. I actually don't hate mine but it doesn't have great pop or a great shape and I'm not expecting it to last very long. That's kind of to be expected from a $20 deck though.

The free grip they sent with it is awful though. Tore and peeled on the very first upside down landing.

I had a traffic x theories deck. The Philadelphia Experiment one. I actually even emailed theories to complain but they didn't care. It was a pretty funny email chain because they actually sent me the email between the person I was talking to, and one of the bosses and they were talking shit on me, saying I was trying to scam and whatnot.. I sent them receipt of purchase and pics and all that but whatever. Anyway, the board I had was like fairly soggy. It wasn't fully sogged out like if you let a board get wicked humid and neglect it forever type shit, but it was noticeably soggy with less pop than other bbs's(had a krooked before and after that were totally fine). It felt spectacularly lackluster, which is something I generally don't feel with new boards. So I think you might be onto something, or maybe they specifically got a bad batch? I don't know. Just kind of echoing your sentiments.

Funny part about that whole thing though is that I had a krooked sog on me too and went and complained to dlx and they were cool as fuck about it. Sent a new board and everything. But whatever. There are plenty of other good companies out there and now I'm riding the pennswood high and I have a feeling I'll be chasing that dragon for a while. That wood is great.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:32:26 AM by drewsmahgoos »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2020, 03:44:26 PM »
Solved the Maxallure mystery (actually someone already answered it correctly a few pages back but I'm just confirming it now)

It's PGI, which I believe is china wood with graphics printed in the US

https://panjiva.com/Pgi-Enterprises-Inc-1000-Beecher/29162368

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2020, 06:19:06 PM »
Solved the Maxallure mystery (actually someone already answered it correctly a few pages back but I'm just confirming it now)

cool thnx for the follow up tho. Just gonna ride it out, was cheap, see how I like the shape and dimensions.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2020, 07:48:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
cool thnx for the follow up tho. Just gonna ride it out, was cheap, see how I like the shape and dimensions.

Yeah it's not actually horrible wood or anything. I mean I don't expect it to last forever or anything but if I was someone who liked stiff and thick wood (ay yo wudup gay) then I'd be more than happy with it given how cheap it was. I wasn't blown away by the pop but it wasn't the worst I've skated either and I actually really like the shape, it's really flat and mellow...almost reminds me of the Toy Machine "mellow concave" mold actually. Really if it weren't a 14" WB I'd probably actually want to skate it more often but that factor combined with the weight and stiffness means I'll probably use mine as a wet weather/beater board or end up giving it to a lil homie that needs a new ride some day.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2020, 01:08:18 PM »
Pennswood press Revive boards still?

Shesty

• Rep: -8
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2020, 01:22:57 PM »
Can somebody recommend brand/shape similar to creature/sc powerply decks(steeper, longer tail and nose) produced in US or Mexico?

I really liked the shape of Gravette decks in 2012, but after some bad experience with dwindle and crailtap china boards, I'm not buying china boards ever again.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2020, 01:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah it's not actually horrible wood or anything. I mean I don't expect it to last forever or anything but if I was someone who liked stiff and thick wood (ay yo wudup gay) then I'd be more than happy with it given how cheap it was. I wasn't blown away by the pop but it wasn't the worst I've skated either and I actually really like the shape, it's really flat and mellow...almost reminds me of the Toy Machine "mellow concave" mold actually. Really if it weren't a 14" WB I'd probably actually want to skate it more often but that factor combined with the weight and stiffness means I'll probably use mine as a wet weather/beater board or end up giving it to a lil homie that needs a new ride some day.

http://www.tradeinfo365.com/NorthAmerica/PGI-ENTERPRISE-INC.html

does this date mean PGI just brings in product from Exce?. So it's the same as girl wood? Or atleast same factory

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2020, 11:59:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure he's talking about BBS

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »
Anyone know any brands / woodshops do longer boards with shorter WB? The Folklore I was riding was amazing but the dimensions are pretty hard to find at 8 x 32 x 14, making them a perfect pair with Ventures.

Closest I've seen is Magenta or Theories (8 x 31.875 x x 14.125), most brands do lengths between 31.6 to 31.75 and WB at 14 to 14.5 in come cases. Both brands are pretty hard to come by around my neck of the woods
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:39:37 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2020, 02:47:53 AM »
Anyone know any brands / woodshops do longer boards with shorter WB? The Folklore I was riding was amazing but the dimensions are pretty hard to find at 8 x 32 x 14, making them a perfect pair with Ventures.

Closest I've seen is Magenta or Theories (8 x 31.875 x x 14.125), most brands do lengths between 31.6 to 31.75 and WB at 14 to 14.5 in come cases. Both brands are pretty hard to come by around my neck of the woods
Try using the length search functions on warehouseskateboards, SoCal Skateshop, and skatepark of Tampa. I do this a lot if I'm looking for a particular size. Just don't take the sizes they list as gospel and try to confirm it with another source if you can, the information isn't always perfectly accurate

Also I know you know this but for anyone else reading be aware that some companies (mostly ones using PS) measure length differently, they include the concave rather than going tip to tip. I have a quasi that's listed as 32.25 but it's 31.75 tip to tip.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 131
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2020, 10:58:40 AM »
^ Yup all my Girl/Chocolate 8.25s are listed at 31.875 length and they easily have more length than all my “32” inch GX and Quasi’s

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2020, 04:43:02 PM »
Anyone know if the 8" x 31.66" 14" wheelbase Hockey Boards are PS stix anymore or are they only using BBS now? assuming same for FA 8.18"? I really liked my FA 8.18" - 14.06" wb as it wasn't as Flat as the same size from Quasi .

but I would like something similar to that 8.18"

sadnocomply

• Rep: 131
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
Anyone know if the 8" x 31.66" 14" wheelbase Hockey Boards are PS stix anymore or are they only using BBS now? assuming same for FA 8.18"? I really liked my FA 8.18" - 14.06" wb as it wasn't as Flat as the same size from Quasi .

Great question, I use to always see a split between PS & BBS, now I see the BBS sticker on every deck at my shop, which is good imo

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2020, 09:27:18 PM »

Everything is BBS now I'm pretty sure. The only PS ones in my local shop are old, everything from the last year or so has been BBS. I've had 2 of the BBS ones and I wouldn't worry about them being flat, both of mine are fairly deep (like most bbs decks).

• Rep: -2
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2020, 03:23:36 AM »
Does anybody know who makes ccs and skatewarehouse blanks?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2020, 04:54:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Everything is BBS now I'm pretty sure. The only PS ones in my local shop are old, everything from the last year or so has been BBS. I've had 2 of the BBS ones and I wouldn't worry about them being flat, both of mine are fairly deep (like most bbs decks).

Awesome if true. Their BBS 8.3/8.5 shape is my go-to. Had my local order one last spring and it ended up being a PS (it was the Donovan 'Friend' graphic), way different dimensions than the BBS one, and a weirder overall shape.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2020, 12:20:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Awesome if true. Their BBS 8.3/8.5 shape is my go-to. Had my local order one last spring and it ended up being a PS (it was the Donovan 'Friend' graphic), way different dimensions than the BBS one, and a weirder overall shape.

confirmed via email from FA/Hockey. All decks are now BBS. they said they used to do half PS half BBS but have switched over to full BBS .

going to have to give one of these 8x31.66" 14" wheelbase boards a shot soon, I've only ridden the PS FA boards.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »

confirmed via email from FA/Hockey. All decks are now BBS. they said they used to do half PS half BBS but have switched over to full BBS .

going to have to give one of these 8x31.66" 14" wheelbase boards a shot soon, I've only ridden the PS FA boards.

You won't regret it, their 8.5 x 31.9 x 14.25wb is the best street shape I've skated and I'd imagine the other sizes to be on par.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2020, 03:03:10 PM »
anyone know any shops or brands that use Point Dist out of Nevada?

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2020, 03:25:44 PM »
This seems like the most appropriate thread to post this. Ben Degros' followup to the Canada Skate shop collaboration.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »
Can somebody recommend brand/shape similar to creature/sc powerply decks(steeper, longer tail and nose) produced in US or Mexico?

I really liked the shape of Gravette decks in 2012, but after some bad experience with dwindle and crailtap china boards, I'm not buying china boards ever again.

bump because this is what I am looking for as well. Same experience w Crail too
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »
Talked to scumco over email. They told me that they most likely won't be using pennswood again. So this round of logo decks will most likely be the last according to them.

Very upset to hear this by the way.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2020, 09:24:00 PM »
Pennswood press Revive boards still?

Revive use clutch wood. Clutch posts their decks on their Instagram sometimes.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2020, 11:11:52 PM »
Talked to scumco over email. They told me that they most likely won't be using pennswood again. So this round of logo decks will most likely be the last according to them.

Very upset to hear this by the way.
thats a huge bummer

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2020, 11:38:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Try using the length search functions on warehouseskateboards, SoCal Skateshop, and skatepark of Tampa. I do this a lot if I'm looking for a particular size. Just don't take the sizes they list as gospel and try to confirm it with another source if you can, the information isn't always perfectly accurate

Also I know you know this but for anyone else reading be aware that some companies (mostly ones using PS) measure length differently, they include the concave rather than going tip to tip. I have a quasi that's listed as 32.25 but it's 31.75 tip to tip.
Yep. The different methods make looking at length annoying.. I prefer trying to find wb and tail length info cuz that's what's important to me.
I've got 3x 8.125" decks..
Dwindle is the longest but was listed as 31.7" or 31.8"? It's a Rodney balloon animal graphic if someone wants to check.
It's about 3/16" longer than the Baker below.
Baker B2 is listed as 32"? But it's barely 1/8" longer than a used Primitive PS8.125 deck. Newer Primitive decks say 31.7xx" length?
edit. website says 31.625"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:38:56 AM by satan »

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2020, 03:08:09 AM »
Is it me or do BBS boards feel different from a few years back ?

Maybe I've been skating South Central and Chapman too much, but this Polar board I just bought feels soggy. Not PS Stix-soggy, but close. Shape's great though. I've had close to 10 Polar boards in the last 5-6 years, and from what I remember they use to feel stiffer.  My friend's Anti Hero doesn't feel all that stiff either.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2020, 06:11:35 AM »
anyone know any shops or brands that use Point Dist out of Nevada?

There's a local brand here called Troika that uses them. Not a big fan of the one I have, if I remember right they don't press anything they just print on blanks and claim they come from all over the place but I'm pretty sure its mostly chinese wood. Was ok for the first few sessions but lost its pop pretty quick. Shape was your run of the mill mellow 8.25 x 31.75 14.25wb, nothing interesting about it but nothing offensive either. 

I really like Troika's graphics but I'm probably not going to get another one if its the same wood. It's just a little hobby brand for some local dudes/chicks and they're doing small runs so I understand why they'd want to keep costs down but there's too many other good options to choose from.

Just my two cents though, maybe the one I got was a dud and everything else is from some amazing hidden secret   woodshop but I'll hold off until I see one from somewhere I recognize like clutch/bbs/ps/dwindle etc.

Maybe I've been skating South Central and Chapman too much, but this Polar board I just bought feels soggy. Not PS Stix-soggy, but close. Shape's great though. I've had close to 10 Polar boards in the last 5-6 years, and from what I remember they use to feel stiffer.  My friend's Anti Hero doesn't feel all that stiff either.

I didn't skate BBS decks until about a year ago so I don't have any input on them vs the old ones, but I did have one that I would consider a bit of a dud recently. It wasn't soggy, but I just couldn't get any pop with it or get comfortable with it. Might have been more of a shape issue than the wood, but that was the first bbs deck I've owned that I didn't really enjoy skating at all. It was a Theories Rasputin 8.25, pretty standard popsicle and the medium/deep concave that seems to be their default mold. However, I also recently got a Polar 8.25 x 31.8 that was exactly what I expected - stiff and poppy, with a full popsicle shape and a nice fairly big round nose.

If you want something mega stiff TGM still has some of those Dwindle impact blanks up for sale.... they're probably the stiffest deck I've ever skated.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:25:39 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2020, 06:47:18 AM »
I love the Polar shape with its big-ass round nose and steep tails, bummer because I can just feel that what little pop it has will die down within two weeks, and I don’t skate as hard as I used to and I’m under 200lbs.

I guess I’m just too used to South Central wood now, they feel as stiff as a baseball bat and are un-chippable. Chapman too, just sucks they’re getting harder and harder to find.

I’m interested about those Impact blanks, what is TGM?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2020, 09:14:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote
Not PS Stix-soggy, but close.
[close]

Crazy. I just came off a Hockey deck to a Quasi (I liked the more square shape) and immediately after setting it up, the board didn't feel as stiff. Wasn't sure if it was me. But I like how stiff the Hockey deck felt.