Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 113663 times)

oneOone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2020, 06:08:21 AM »
And you're wrong about HLC current quality. They aren't soft after two weeks at all. We currently make our shopboards at HLC and the quality is top tier.

The last I had was a Habitat in 2017 an it sucked, comparable to the Jart I had 10 years earlier.

Just compare it with a BB or South Central and you see the top tierness. The HLC ones have always been thicker and heavier compared to these. I am open for proofing me wrong.

Edit: https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/sk8dlx-alligator-8-deck-multi_p128688?cPath=42&brand_id=131

"Made in Europe" stated, but not on all boards. Maybe they use different woodshops here and there but from a price point the only other option is China in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:17:26 AM by oneOone »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2020, 07:16:57 AM »
i had one really bad quasi / ps stix in 2018, soft in 2 weeks. it didn't make me think ps or quasi are bad.
One bad board doesn't mean shit.
Hundreds of shop boards, plenty of feedbacks from customers and team members mean something. they are really good.
I just looked at a recently released Real R1 Full, Busenitz with the 2 twins from Shining. This board is thicker than the shop board. I weighed them. Funny thing they weigh exactly the same : 1,330 kg.
Can i conclude ? not really. Does it challenge your 2017 experience and toptierness argument? yes

In 2017 they didn't have moved to their new factory yet.
The current quality is great

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2020, 07:17:56 AM »
Asked my local who pressed heir shop boards yesterday and forgot like an idiot.
Any of these signs ring a bell to anyone? Out of California I remember, but forgot what other brands press there.

newest deck has these sizes/shapes: 8.0 square, 8.125 Square, 8.25, 8.25 Square, 8.375 Square, 8.5, 8.5 Square, 8.8. There were a few older shop decks 8.75" and 9" popsicles that both had over 15" wb.

Top yellow sticker showing size on an older board:
https://3jbo0918at56ou9kn41x23tm-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/CivilElsinoreDeck-top.jpg

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:19:48 AM by jay_nev »

oneOone

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2020, 07:30:43 AM »
i had one really bad quasi / ps stix in 2018, soft in 2 weeks. it didn't make me think ps or quasi are bad.
One bad board doesn't mean shit.
Hundreds of shop boards, plenty of feedbacks from customers and team members mean something. they are really good.
I just looked at a recently released Real R1 Full, Busenitz with the 2 twins from Shining. This board is thicker than the shop board. I weighed them. Funny thing they weigh exactly the same : 1,330 kg.
Can i conclude ? not really. Does it challenge your 2017 experience and toptierness argument? yes

In 2017 they didn't have moved to their new factory yet.
The current quality is great

Thanks for your efforts!
 I did not see any reason to buy a HLC product again after I already had bad experience and a 10 year lifespan should be enough to improve a product.
Yes the feedback is great as the price is 30-50% less compared to Made in Mexico or USA and about 80% do not care what they ride or are even aware where shit is manufactured as long it does not break within the first session.

About PS, I had some Mother boards ( when the PS hype was real on slap) that delamalinated and broke easily, yes it made me think they are bad compared to others.

tnka

• Rep: 0
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2020, 08:52:07 AM »
Expand Quote
And you're wrong about HLC current quality. They aren't soft after two weeks at all. We currently make our shopboards at HLC and the quality is top tier.
[close]

The last I had was a Habitat in 2017 an it sucked, comparable to the Jart I had 10 years earlier.

Just compare it with a BB or South Central and you see the top tierness. The HLC ones have always been thicker and heavier compared to these. I am open for proofing me wrong.

Edit: https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/sk8dlx-alligator-8-deck-multi_p128688?cPath=42&brand_id=131

"Made in Europe" stated, but not on all boards. Maybe they use different woodshops here and there but from a price point the only other option is China in my opinion.

Never had a south central, but loads of bbs decks of course. The 3 hlc decks i skated with over the winter are either on par, or better than any of them.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2020, 05:26:54 PM »
Cross posting but the Maxallure deck came a few days ago. 8.75” x 32.5” tape down x 14.5” wb. China wood? Dunno, just a size sticker on top back bolts and round indent at front.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2020, 12:58:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Why aren’t Santa Cruz and Creature listed under NHS Fun Factory?
[close]

NHS is just their distributor and not their actual manufacturing spot. Decks distributed by NHS are mainly made by Dwindle, the same spot that makes the decks for Thank You Supply (Almost/Enjoi).

Was this ever confirmed anywhere? I know they're both out of China but NHS decks feel totally different than Dwindle decks IMO

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2020, 04:27:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if they don't want to say where its from, it's probably from China.

If i remember correctly, there's no industrial pressing plant in Germany. They get wood from china and print.
[close]

Could be HLC as they offer 14.125 WB boards and the only other brand which has a lot of 14.125 WB offerings on skatedeluxe ist Jart. Shapes also looking like Jart (from the images offered on the webpage). But they usually include Made in Europe on the top, at least HLC Habitat.

It it is soft after 2 weeks it is HLC, only other option would be some China woodshop.

There is a German woodshop offering quality products but  not "industrial pressing plant".
https://instagram.com/esb_woodshop
[close]

the HLC laser engraving doesn't look like this.
and i don't think they press board for sk8deluxe, i'll try to get more info

HLC is currently my favourite woodshop. Last two boards came from there. National Skateboard Co.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2020, 04:29:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
maybe we can lay the tactics on bbs rumor to rest!
[close]

There is a Tactics shop one block from my office.  I asked them in person and the guy who told me BBS is the guy who has designed multiple of their graphics.
[close]

I called their office just now and the employee said “I can’t give that out, but they’re made at the same place most of the popular brands are made. They’re very high quality”

I got the same response from Folklore, an Australian company. They also said it was "confidential business propriety". Anyone know where they are made?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2020, 03:17:42 AM »
What's the word on Tactics logo boards, the Mini Golf one on 8.125 looks good.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
maybe we can lay the tactics on bbs rumor to rest!
[close]

There is a Tactics shop one block from my office.  I asked them in person and the guy who told me BBS is the guy who has designed multiple of their graphics.
[close]

I called their office just now and the employee said “I can’t give that out, but they’re made at the same place most of the popular brands are made. They’re very high quality”
[close]

I got the same response from Folklore, an Australian company. They also said it was "confidential business propriety". Anyone know where they are made?

I rode the Fibretech 8" model a few months ago. 8 x 32 x 14, no idea who presses for them but hopefully the dimensions are helpful in the quest for finding out the woodshop.

Woodshop aside I really like the dimensions, pretty unique to have a board that narrow be that long. Unfortunately the board got soggy relatively quickly after 2 months of twice a week skating. Disappointed the snappiness didnt last especially with the fibre insert.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:30:47 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2020, 04:00:36 AM »
This is a post from the chap who runs Moonshine skateboards (who do Vert and freestyle boards, not Moonshine MFG who do longboards), showing a bit of the set up costs for deck runs. Unfortunately I did know who pressed them, but I've forgotten.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2020, 07:23:07 AM »
This is a post from the chap who runs Moonshine skateboards (who do Vert and freestyle boards, not Moonshine MFG who do longboards), showing a bit of the set up costs for deck runs. Unfortunately I did know who pressed them, but I've forgotten.

Moonshinevis drifter mfg out of north GA.

Drifter post a lot of process pics. They do a lot of work with moonshine. Drifter boards are solid, I don’t care for the shapes personally. Never had a moonshine.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2020, 01:01:20 AM »
Cross posting but the Maxallure deck came a few days ago. 8.75” x 32.5” tape down x 14.5” wb. China wood? Dunno, just a size sticker on top back bolts and round indent at front.

i don't know if Maxallure boards production is the same for US and Europe.
But the ones we have in Europe/France have a big sticker covering the 4 bolt holes that says:

Printed in Canada with deck imported from Mexico

With this combination Canada / US in Europe, i don't see why it would be different for US.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2020, 12:11:17 AM »
Looking for a quick review of the Tactics Leisure League (8.125) and Sausage (8.0) decks, I got a shipment of stuff coming in, hopefully I can tag the whole lot of them in to save on shipping.
Thanks pals.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2020, 01:23:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[mg width=500]https://i.ibb.co/0B0dZjK/6525-ED79-C768-4-F47-82-C9-AB4-A936-DA656.jpg[/img]
[ width=500]https://i.ibb.co/7rwGSzQ/61-C10-CC3-C3-D5-4-E3-F-B3-A8-C85507-B946-B3.jpg[/img]
[close]

But the ones we have in Europe/France have a big sticker covering the 4 bolt holes that says:

Expand Quote
[close]

With this combination Canada / US in Europe, i don't see why it would be different for US.
This seems weird to me..
Not saying it untrue, just odd.
Made in TJ by BBS or Clutch? Fine..
Ship them to Canada for graphics? Seems really, really far..
And them ship them to Karl in the Bay Area? Double shipping costs..
Just doesn't make sense cuz there's plenty of places in Cali that do graphics

Do Canadian goods get taxed at a lower rate when imported to the EU?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2020, 02:31:45 AM »
Yes it's definitely weird

oneOone

« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2020, 04:05:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[mg width=500]https://i.ibb.co/0B0dZjK/6525-ED79-C768-4-F47-82-C9-AB4-A936-DA656.jpg[/img]
[ width=500]https://i.ibb.co/7rwGSzQ/61-C10-CC3-C3-D5-4-E3-F-B3-A8-C85507-B946-B3.jpg[/img]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This seems weird to me..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Economic_and_Trade_Agreement

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2020, 06:53:14 AM »
Looking for a quick review of the Tactics Leisure League (8.125) and Sausage (8.0) decks, I got a shipment of stuff coming in, hopefully I can tag the whole lot of them in to save on shipping.
Thanks pals.
from looking online they are bbs, but I had the ping pong deck and hated it, got soggy real fast compared to my death wish boards I was skating and there were these weird white pellets looking things in the wood grains that made the tail very chunky looking when it razor tailed. I’m thinking it was left over glue from being pressed?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2020, 08:27:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks pals.
[close]
from looking online they are bbs, but I had the ping pong deck and hated it, got soggy real fast compared to my death wish boards I was skating and there were these weird white pellets looking things in the wood grains that made the tail very chunky looking when it razor tailed. I’m thinking it was left over glue from being pressed?

Damn that does not sound good, manufacturing defect?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2020, 07:54:19 PM »
Thanks pals.

I’m riding the 8.1 mini golf Tactics deck right now. It’s 100% a BBS deck. The shape is pretty deep. Kind of similar to a Real deck. I’m riding it on thunder 148s right now but I’m gonna set it up on Indys soon though. So far it rides fine and for the price, you can’t beat it.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2020, 12:57:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks pals.
[close]
Hmm.. is it in the glue?

https://www.mcmaster.com/balls/spacing-beads/
Spacing Beads
Add these tiny glass spacers to structural and instant-bond adhesives to keep adhesive from squeezing out during clamping.

And what was up with Real's Renewal construction?
BBS still do that stuff?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This seems weird to me..

[close]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Economic_and_Trade_Agreement
I didn't read the whole thing but lower import duties? Do other companies like Polar do the same thing? What's the Generator of Canada?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2020, 01:50:13 AM »
BBS of Canada ? Control MFG i would say

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2020, 04:11:06 AM »
Sausage is control if I recall. Pretty sure I was going to buy one that was on closeout until I saw the sticker a while back. Not a fan of control wood, I've had two and both felt soggy pretty much right out of the plastic and sounded like a wet log hitting the ground. Some people like them but I gave both of mine away and avoid them completely now.

BBS decks can be hit or miss for me and it almost makes me wonder if they prioritize the bigger brands ... Like DLX and baker boys and the big companies get the best wood and smaller companies get the lower graded. Every AH and FA deck I have is great but I recently got a Theories deck that I just really didn't like much. It wasn't bad but didn't have quite the level of pop and stiffness that my other bbs decks have. It might just be a dud or the shape not working for me, but it was bad enough to make me wonder a little bit.

I'm fairly certain those Maxallure decks are China wood. They're pretty stiff and have the kind of lower pitched thud sound that makes me think they're epoxy rather than regular glue (not dwindle r7 though). The one I got is really heavy and so thick I thought it might be an 8-ply when I rook it out of the box. Used digital calipers and it's about a millimeter thicker than a PS deck, which might not sound like much but is pretty noticeable. I actually don't hate mine but it doesn't have great pop or a great shape and I'm not expecting it to last very long. That's kind of to be expected from a $20 deck though.

The free grip they sent with it is awful though. Tore and peeled on the very first upside down landing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:23:15 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2020, 05:04:58 AM »
I'm fairly certain those Maxallure decks are China wood. They're pretty stiff and have the kind of lower pitched thud sound that makes me think they're epoxy rather than regular glue (not dwindle r7 though). The one I got is really heavy and so thick I thought it might be an 8-ply when I rook it out of the box. Used digital calipers and it's about a millimeter thicker than a PS deck, which might not sound like much but is pretty noticeable. I actually don't hate mine but it doesn't have great pop or a great shape and I'm not expecting it to last very long. That's kind of to be expected from a $20 deck though.

The free grip they sent with it is awful though. Tore and peeled on the very first upside down landing.
thanks for the follow up. Funny u mention dwindle r7, that’s what I have now and gonna try this Maxallure next. Rain/cold on off this week sucks though. Was curious about the grip too, feels generic w the solid white backing. Haven’t set mine up yet but plan on soon. I’ll prob throw on a sheet of Jessup.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2020, 05:07:11 AM »
Sausage is control if I recall. Pretty sure I was going to buy one that was on closeout until I saw the sticker a while back. Not a fan of control wood, I've had two and both felt soggy pretty much right out of the plastic and sounded like a wet log hitting the ground. Some people like them but I gave both of mine away and avoid them completely now.

BBS decks can be hit or miss for me and it almost makes me wonder if they prioritize the bigger brands ... Like DLX and baker boys and the big companies get the best wood and smaller companies get the lower graded. Every AH and FA deck I have is great but I recently got a Theories deck that I just really didn't like much. It wasn't bad but didn't have quite the level of pop and stiffness that my other bbs decks have. It might just be a dud or the shape not working for me, but it was bad enough to make me wonder a little bit.

Thanks man! Always appreciate the in-depth replies!

Do you know anything about Visual? Thinking of setting my 8.25 up next
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2020, 05:21:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just want to chime in that Sausage uses several woodshops. Definitely Control for the Canada pressed boards, but for their Mexico pressed boards I'm not sure. The consensus is Clutch but I got a board from them (essentially a very flat Cardiel football) that does not look or feel like a Clutch...no stamps, and way better quality. It also didn't have any of the telltale PS or BBS markings.

I DM'd the owner and he wouldn't tell me which shop he used. Said it before but that shit is mad annoying and unnecessary.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »
The sausage boards I have are from Control and Clutch. Lurkville, older blvd/stereo/birdhouse were also clutch but i heard
stereo moved to prime and my last board from blvd seemed to be prime but it was warped a little. My recent lurkville deck
is also still clutch but it was a older graphic so im not sure if it was old stock or not. I had rode clutch boards for the last 5 years and
have not been let down by the quality. I now trying out decks from different woodshops to compare them. I have one from clutch, ps,
bbs, prime & control right now and want to get a hlc, dwindle & south central decks into the mix yet too.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »

I don't. Actually been kind of curious myself since I've been seeing them a lot of places lately. Haven't seen one in person yet but if they show up at the local shop I'll take a look at them.

The sausage boards I have are from Control and Clutch. Lurkville, older blvd/stereo/birdhouse were also clutch but i heard
stereo moved to prime and my last board from blvd seemed to be prime but it was warped a little. My recent lurkville deck
is also still clutch but it was a older graphic so im not sure if it was old stock or not. I had rode clutch boards for the last 5 years and
have not been let down by the quality. I now trying out decks from different woodshops to compare them. I have one from clutch, ps,
bbs, prime & control right now and want to get a hlc, dwindle & south central decks into the mix yet too.

I asked Lurkville about their woodshop probably 6-7 months ago and they said it's the syndrome dist woodshop. Not sure if they have their own shop but if I had to guess they're probably just printing on chinese blanks like other smaller "distribution" places. Pretty sure the one I got wasn't clutch, it was good at first but lost its pop pretty quick and last time I tried to skate it I just had to give up because it was unbearable. Sick graphic though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:04:48 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2020, 02:16:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Moonshinevis drifter mfg out of north GA.

Drifter post a lot of process pics. They do a lot of work with moonshine. Drifter boards are solid, I don’t care for the shapes personally. Never had a moonshine.

Yes, you are correct. https://www.instagram.com/drifterskateboardmfg/

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2020, 03:16:29 AM »
Magenta 8.0 boards - how are they? Looks pretty short at 8 x 31.5 x 14.25 but I'm looking to try something a touch shorter for tighter flippy tricks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m