Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 114433 times)

satan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2020, 03:38:33 PM »
I was curious as well and asked via Maxallure IG and said they didn’t know for the top of the head and the warehouse opens tomorrow. (Sale ends tonight
Oh. Bummer

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2020, 05:48:34 PM »
Expand Quote
I was curious as well and asked via Maxallure IG and said they didn’t know for the top of the head and the warehouse opens tomorrow. (Sale ends tonight
[close]
Oh. Bummer

I am pretty sure that the few I have seen were PGI.
How much for an order of ribs?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2020, 06:40:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Oh. Bummer
[close]

I am pretty sure that the few I have seen were PGI.
i asked em about the wheelbase and length

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2020, 03:45:15 AM »
Can anyone give me an idea of WKND shapes? It seems like they make mellow concave and medium concave. I don't like mellow concave but also don't like too short of a tail. I haven't bought an actual pro company board in like 5 years and our 1 shop only carries the worst fucking brands that the kids buy. Otherwise no shops near me for like 60 miles. Thanks fellas.

I'm just about to retire an 8.25 Jordan Taylor wknd. If you've ever seen an FA/hockey board it's l similar to that but with a bigger nose and a shallower concave. They usually have a full shape with wide, blunt/square-ish kicks and a steep nose and mellower tail. They're also usually a little shorter than average too, mine is 31.5 and the others I looked at were around that.

I absolutely loved that deck, I bought it on a whim because it was on clearance and it pretty much single handedly changed my opinion of the trendy square shape and PS wood and now those are two of the things that I look for in a deck.  If you want something similar but with a slightly more traditional nose the new PS stix Scumco team deck (the blue one) is amazing.

Here's a pretty typical wknd deck from premier, they always take great pictures that give you a good idea of what the deck is like.

https://thepremierstore.com/products/johan-stuckey-fever-kingdom-series-deck-night-stalker?_pos=2&_sid=4a82eb5bf&_ss=r

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2020, 06:34:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Can anyone give me an idea of WKND shapes? It seems like they make mellow concave and medium concave. I don't like mellow concave but also don't like too short of a tail. I haven't bought an actual pro company board in like 5 years and our 1 shop only carries the worst fucking brands that the kids buy. Otherwise no shops near me for like 60 miles. Thanks fellas.
[close]

I'm just about to retire an 8.25 Jordan Taylor wknd. If you've ever seen an FA/hockey board it's l similar to that but with a bigger nose and a shallower concave. They usually have a full shape with wide, blunt/square-ish kicks and a steep nose and mellower tail. They're also usually a little shorter than average too, mine is 31.5 and the others I looked at were around that.

I absolutely loved that deck, I bought it on a whim because it was on clearance and it pretty much single handedly changed my opinion of the trendy square shape and PS wood and now those are two of the things that I look for in a deck.  If you want something similar but with a slightly more traditional nose the new PS stix Scumco team deck (the blue one) is amazing.

Here's a pretty typical wknd deck from premier, they always take great pictures that give you a good idea of what the deck is like.

https://thepremierstore.com/products/johan-stuckey-fever-kingdom-series-deck-night-stalker?_pos=2&_sid=4a82eb5bf&_ss=r
I ended up getting a tactics deck to try their shallower concave. But thank you. I was reading dimensions and stuff and they did seem shorter. I still want to try them but goddamn I can’t pay $60 for a deck alone. I bought a hat of theirs though to still get some sheckles their way. I’ll try them for sure next time. They seemed mellow but I just couldn’t figure it out. Appreciate the response. I WILL go for it next deck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2020, 05:45:11 AM »
I ended up getting a tactics deck to try their shallower concave. But thank you. I was reading dimensions and stuff and they did seem shorter. I still want to try them but goddamn I can’t pay $60 for a deck alone. I bought a hat of theirs though to still get some sheckles their way. I’ll try them for sure next time. They seemed mellow but I just couldn’t figure it out. Appreciate the response. I WILL go for it next deck.

No problem, just shoot me a pm if you want to know more about them or anything like that. I don't want to shit this thread up too much with my nerdy rambling.

When you get that tactics deck fan you take a picture of any stickers/markings on it? I've heard that their shop decks are BBS but I've never actually confirmed it. I like the bowling graphic a lot, so if it's BBS wood I'll probably pick one up.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2020, 06:33:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
]yeah said they could make it work and to put it in the order notes. So I ordered one without knowing for sure the woodshop or dimensions.. ha.
[close]

I did some investigative reporting on site at my local skate shop today and after an exhaustive search this is what I discovered. I don't think its BBS either. I'm not sure what company it is but it has a weird size sticker aligned in the bottom truck holes. However, I found a clue that could break the case WIDE OPEN.

In the bargain bin, I found another deck with the same mysterious sticker. That deck was.... a Consolidated fists deck. So it would appear that the Maxallure decks are the same woodshop that does Consolidated, whoever the fuck that is.
[close]
ha! One step closer... mine is prepped for shipment but it’s gotta travel across the country.. due for delivery 2/18.
[close]

Yeah it was actually kind of an accident. I looked at the Maxallure's and measured some of them but no one in the shop had any idea what wood it was, but I always dig through the bargain bin because one time I got an 8.25 Flight deck there for $40 because it was out of the plastic and scratched up pretty good. Just took a black paint marker and filled in the scratches and you could barely tell it was ever scratched. It was actually kind of an accident that I even noticed it, I wasn't interested in the consolidated deck but I had to move it to get the one I wanted to look at out of the rack and I just so happened to sit it down with the top up and noticed that it had the same sticker.

taking this convo to the woodshop thread.. for appropriate first page updates when we get to the bottom of it.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2020, 09:36:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No problem, just shoot me a pm if you want to know more about them or anything like that. I don't want to shit this thread up too much with my nerdy rambling.

When you get that tactics deck fan you take a picture of any stickers/markings on it? I've heard that their shop decks are BBS but I've never actually confirmed it. I like the bowling graphic a lot, so if it's BBS wood I'll probably pick one up.

I just picked up a tactics decks because I heard the same thing about them using BBS. Recently fell in love with a Baker deck that’s 8.125 x 31.5 x 14.25 and the tactics deck has VERY similar proportions so I’m hopeful. I’ll post some photos in about a week when I get it and maybe we can lay the tactics on bbs rumor to rest!

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »
Is anybody here aware of any sites that sell BBS blanks??

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
]yeah said they could make it work and to put it in the order notes. So I ordered one without knowing for sure the woodshop or dimensions.. ha.
[close]

I did some investigative reporting on site at my local skate shop today and after an exhaustive search this is what I discovered. I don't think its BBS either. I'm not sure what company it is but it has a weird size sticker aligned in the bottom truck holes. However, I found a clue that could break the case WIDE OPEN.

In the bargain bin, I found another deck with the same mysterious sticker. That deck was.... a Consolidated fists deck. So it would appear that the Maxallure decks are the same woodshop that does Consolidated, whoever the fuck that is.
[close]
ha! One step closer... mine is prepped for shipment but it’s gotta travel across the country.. due for delivery 2/18.
[close]

Yeah it was actually kind of an accident. I looked at the Maxallure's and measured some of them but no one in the shop had any idea what wood it was, but I always dig through the bargain bin because one time I got an 8.25 Flight deck there for $40 because it was out of the plastic and scratched up pretty good. Just took a black paint marker and filled in the scratches and you could barely tell it was ever scratched. It was actually kind of an accident that I even noticed it, I wasn't interested in the consolidated deck but I had to move it to get the one I wanted to look at out of the rack and I just so happened to sit it down with the top up and noticed that it had the same sticker.

[close]
taking this convo to the woodshop thread.. for appropriate first page updates when we get to the bottom of it.

China wood

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2020, 11:34:43 AM »
maybe we can lay the tactics on bbs rumor to rest!

There is a Tactics shop one block from my office.  I asked them in person and the guy who told me BBS is the guy who has designed multiple of their graphics.

ish_wav

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is a Tactics shop one block from my office.  I asked them in person and the guy who told me BBS is the guy who has designed multiple of their graphics.

I called their office just now and the employee said “I can’t give that out, but they’re made at the same place most of the popular brands are made. They’re very high quality”

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I called their office just now and the employee said “I can’t give that out, but they’re made at the same place most of the popular brands are made. They’re very high quality”

I love getting that very helpful response.

JK, no idea why brands/shops try and be secretive about that shit.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
Hey, does anyone happen to know what woodshop Colours Collectiv uses?

Picked up one of their boards on a whim because I liked the look of the shape. It's the first time in quite a while I felt a noticeable difference in quality. It lasted me longer than most boards as well. The crispiness held up so well that I didn't wanna retire it.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah even one of my local companies was being super secretive when I asked where they got their boards made. They claimed they used the “same shop as FA/Hockey” when I asked if they got their decks from PS Stix he said no. Turns out they just use shape O from ASF/Clutch lol. I personally think woodshop should be advertised just like size is.

Some companies do this and at this point, I'm pretty much only going to support the ones that do. It's ridiculous to try and hide where something is manufactured.

It's bullshit to only see the width of the deck advertised too. Lack of info is lame.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2020, 09:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah even one of my local companies was being super secretive when I asked where they got their boards made. They claimed they used the “same shop as FA/Hockey” when I asked if they got their decks from PS Stix he said no. Turns out they just use shape O from ASF/Clutch lol. I personally think woodshop should be advertised just like size is.
[close]

Some companies do this and at this point, I'm pretty much only going to support the ones that do. It's ridiculous to try and hide where something is manufactured.

It's bullshit to only see the width of the deck advertised too. Lack of info is lame.

I agree but the average consumer doesn't care about WB. Folks who care about WB are a tiny subset of an already small industry. Giving less information helps the average consumer make quick purchase decisions. It's good that you can easily whip out your phone to look up tactics or Zumiez for WB information in the product before you buy though.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Remode

• Rep: 0
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
Hey, does anyone happen to know what woodshop Colours Collectiv uses?

Picked up one of their boards on a whim because I liked the look of the shape. It's the first time in quite a while I felt a noticeable difference in quality. It lasted me longer than most boards as well. The crispiness held up so well that I didn't wanna retire it.

Colours Collectiv is DSM Dwindle wood

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2020, 06:24:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

China wood

You can dig it up somewhere here on the forums. Consolidated Leticia said some were BBS and then some were ? I forgot but it was China. I just had a David Sanchez deck and it was ok. Not good, just ok. Really short length.

MxsDx

• Rep: 94
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
Does anyone know who presses ATM and Permanent Vacation and/or have any experience with these brands? (https://sopdistribution.com/).

I contacted SOP Distribution.  Their wood is pressed by Bareback/BBS.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2020, 02:27:34 AM »
I agree but the average consumer doesn't care about WB. Folks who care about WB are a tiny subset of an already small industry. Giving less information helps the average consumer make quick purchase decisions. It's good that you can easily whip out your phone to look up tactics or Zumiez for WB information in the product before you buy though.

Be careful about using Zumiez as a source.  I think they have a basic template they use for 8.25s that says 8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25wb and if they don't know the measurement they just leave it as that,so if that's what's listed for the deck you're looking at then I would try to verify it somewhere else. I've seen several boards on there listed as that and I know those ones are wrong because I have them.

They also call damn near everything imported even when it has "made in the USA" stamped right on top like most SC decks.

Tactics is pretty good in my experience. It seems like they actually measure them themselves too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2020, 02:45:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Be careful about using Zumiez as a source.  I think they have a basic template they use for 8.25s that says 8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25wb and if they don't know the measurement they just leave it as that,so if that's what's listed for the deck you're looking at then I would try to verify it somewhere else. I've seen several boards on there listed as that and I know those ones are wrong because I have them.

They also call damn near everything imported even when it has "made in the USA" stamped right on top like most SC decks.

Tactics is pretty good in my experience. It seems like they actually measure them themselves too.

Yeah I learned that the hard way with my last Visual board. On Zumiez it was listed as 8.25 x 32 x 14, Primitive dimensions which is great. Turned out to be more like 8.25 x 32 x 14.25; not my ideal dims but a I'll still ride it. Wish they got the numbers right though.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ish_wav

« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2020, 03:15:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just picked up a tactics decks because I heard the same thing about them using BBS. Recently fell in love with a Baker deck that’s 8.125 x 31.5 x 14.25 and the tactics deck has VERY similar proportions so I’m hopeful. I’ll post some photos in about a week when I get it and maybe we can lay the tactics on bbs rumor to rest!

Just got the Tactics deck in the mail. No warning sticker on the top. But it has an indent on the nose
https://imgur.com/a/UXP63E1

Trail

• Rep: 8
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »
How is girl/chocolate wood of late?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2020, 12:07:25 PM »
How is girl/chocolate wood of late?

I find these really boards really stiff, but after 3 sessions they are great. I am on my 4th crail board in a row. Usually the GO23 shape (8.125 x 31.625, 14 WB). They pressure crack really fast but I wasn't able to break one of these decks. And I am FAT ^^ I posted a photo in the set-up thread. Shalom
IG: @flowterspace

tnka

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2020, 03:50:58 AM »
Anyone knows which woodshop uses this imprint on top? It's a sk8dlx shop deck, the company is based in germany i think. Contacted customer service, but they didn't want to share that information.

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2020, 04:30:44 AM »
Anyone knows which woodshop uses this imprint on top? It's a sk8dlx shop deck, the company is based in germany i think. Contacted customer service, but they didn't want to share that information.

This should tell you everything you need to know. I´d stay away from these boards.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2020, 05:21:12 AM »
if they don't want to say where its from, it's probably from China.

If i remember correctly, there's no industrial pressing plant in Germany. They get wood from china and print.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2020, 05:43:25 AM »

If i remember correctly, there's no industrial pressing plant in Germany. They get wood from china and print.

Could be HLC as they offer 14.125 WB boards and the only other brand which has a lot of 14.125 WB offerings on skatedeluxe ist Jart. Shapes also looking like Jart (from the images offered on the webpage). But they usually include Made in Europe on the top, at least HLC Habitat.

It it is soft after 2 weeks it is HLC, only other option would be some China woodshop.

There is a German woodshop offering quality products but  not "industrial pressing plant".
https://instagram.com/esb_woodshop
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:46:35 AM by oneOone »

tnka

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2020, 05:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Could be HLC as they offer 14.125 WB boards and the only other brand which has a lot of 14.125 WB offerings on skatedeluxe ist Jart. Shapes also looking like Jart (from the images offered on the webpage).

It it is soft after 2 weeks it is HLC, only other option would be some China wood.

There is a German woodshop offering quality products but  not "industrial pressing plant".

Yeah i figured hlc, because some of their other imprints have "made in europe" written on them. Dunno about hlc going soft after two weeks though. Been skating hlc decks (pressed in 2019 prob) now for the whole winter and they're great imo. The epoxy glue makes them stiff and durable.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2020, 05:57:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Could be HLC as they offer 14.125 WB boards and the only other brand which has a lot of 14.125 WB offerings on skatedeluxe ist Jart. Shapes also looking like Jart (from the images offered on the webpage). But they usually include Made in Europe on the top, at least HLC Habitat.

It it is soft after 2 weeks it is HLC, only other option would be some China woodshop.

the HLC laser engraving doesn't look like this.
and i don't think they press board for sk8deluxe, i'll try to get more info

And you're wrong about HLC current quality. They aren't soft after two weeks at all. We currently make our shopboards at HLC and the quality is top tier.